Michael Turner classy as he leaves Atlanta, says he’s not finished

Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner runs the ball against Seattle Seahawks outside linebacker K.J. Wright during the second quarter in their NFL NFC Divisional playoff football game in Atlanta Reuters

Falcons running back Michael Turner was cut by the Falcons today, but he took his release in stride.

Turner praised the Falcons on his way out, saying he was proud of his five years in Atlanta and grateful to the team and its fans.

“I want to thank the Atlanta Falcons for the opportunity to be a part of something great,” Turner wrote on Facebook. “We accomplished a lot during my time here and I will always cherish the memories and relationships I made. I want to thank Mr.Blank for all he’s done for me and my career. He’s a great owner and an even better philanthropist. This is a tough business but I understand its nature and respect the process.”

Turner is 31 years old and coming off a season in which he averaged just 3.6 yards a carry, by far the lowest of his career. But Turner said he believes he still has plenty he can offer to some NFL team.

“I’m excited to begin a new chapter of my career and truly believe I have a lot left in the tank,” Turner wrote. “I also want to take a moment and thank the Atlanta Falcons fans. You guys made it easy for me to come to work every day and give you everything I had. Even though it’s a tough day I’m excited for what the future holds. Thank you, again, to the Falcons organization. I wish you guys nothing but the best.”

Falcons fans will surely wish Turner nothing but the best as well. Even as they realize that cutting an expensive running back on the wrong side of 30 was the right move.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Michael Turner classy as he leaves Atlanta, says he’s not finished”
  1. whatnojets says: Mar 1, 2013 3:16 PM

Classy remark by a classy Gentleman!

Good luck and wish you the best, Mr. Turner

2. Max says: Mar 1, 2013 3:21 PM

Mr. Blank is one of the best owners in football.

3. mattjay0101 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:21 PM

Please come be ineffective in Detroit!!!!!!!

We’ve got some extra money and plenty of nonsensical attitude but not much else.

4. danpit2 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:25 PM

Black and gold?

5. reed20fence says: Mar 1, 2013 3:30 PM

Classy dude

6. jwcarlson says: Mar 1, 2013 3:33 PM

Turner, Ryan Grant, and C Benson the three headed monster in Green Bay this season! :)

Cumulative average 1.7 ypc.

7. albertmn says: Mar 1, 2013 3:33 PM

Packers. Cheap deal. Chance to win.

8. ilovefoolsball says: Mar 1, 2013 3:34 PM

He has done well.

It’s too bad he played for the Falcons or else he might have been able to take a team to the Superbowl.

9. 13pbworld says: Mar 1, 2013 3:35 PM

Go to the Titans! They need a compliment to CJ2K!

10. reesesteel23 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:38 PM

Come play behind ALL DAY ADRIAN P!…That alone would add Years onto your career.

11. dirtybirds233 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:38 PM

I hate to see him go, but definitely the right move. So many good memories…from breaking our single game rushing record in his first game with us, to throwing his wide receiver into a blocker with one arm. You’ll be missed Michael, good luck with the rest of your career.

12. kane337 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:41 PM

I can’t thank Michael Turner enough for what he’s done for the Falcons organization the last 5 seasons. I wish him the best of luck on his next team.

13. trojanwarrior007 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:42 PM

well he should be glad after the DUI he got during the season.

14. Dave Tracy says: Mar 1, 2013 3:43 PM

Mr Turner you can come to Green Bay and average 3.6 yards a carry. Every three downs is a first down!!

15. gaeaglefan1023 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:48 PM

Keep those big legs truckin’ brother!!!

16. deltaoracle says: Mar 1, 2013 3:51 PM

Too bad the Pack didn’t sign him 5 years ago; they might’ve had an extra SB win during the period. Now? I doubt it. So few athletes realize when they’re done at the highest level and it’s time to move on to the next chapter.

17. jetstizzi85 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:52 PM

While no longer an every down back, he could help make a difference elsewhere in a 2 back set. Great guy

18. dukemarc says: Mar 1, 2013 3:58 PM

For those Packer fans drooling over Turner – wouldn’t we rather have Bradshaw?

19. sbmcintosh36 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:58 PM

Can we please have more people like him in sports

20. niubears says: Mar 1, 2013 4:05 PM

sbmcintosh36 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:58 PM

Can we please have more people like him in sports

====================================

Fellow NIU Huskie so I love the Burner, but the dude has like 6 baby mommas. Not the greatest role model in the world.

21. gromit45 says: Mar 1, 2013 4:11 PM

Is there a good side of 30 for a running back?

22. nflfanassociation says: Mar 1, 2013 4:15 PM

Could be a decent goal line back. Return to SD for the Burner?

23. anrgydeafman says: Mar 1, 2013 4:26 PM

Come on to KC where you can stick it to the Chargers twice a year behind JC and Smith (If the trade does happen)!

24. muskyhunter2542 says: Mar 1, 2013 4:27 PM

dukemarc says:
    Mar 1, 2013 3:58 PM
    For those Packer fans drooling over Turner – wouldn’t we rather have Bradshaw?

__________________________
    100% YES

25. 1standlong says: Mar 1, 2013 4:30 PM

gromit45 says:
    Mar 1, 2013 4:11 PM
    Is there a good side of 30 for a running back?

Yeah, below it.

If I happened to be a young talented football player I think I’d be opting to play LB or Safery if I could. Pro Bowl RBs have no shelf life past 30.

26. paul82461 says: Mar 1, 2013 4:31 PM

Go to Oakland you know DMC is going down at some point

27. jkaflagg says: Mar 1, 2013 5:04 PM

Turner still has a little gas in the tank, but it’s hard to transition from feature back to role player on the same team, especially with his contract….he’ll need to go to a team with a strong OL who understands that he’ll bring no value as a receiver or on special teams….just a grinding runner who’ll need some carries to be effective. Hopefully for the Falcons, that team will be in the AFC…..

28. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 1, 2013 5:12 PM

Sources are telling me the 49ers are going after him.

29. spewtilation says: Mar 1, 2013 5:26 PM

Arthur Blank looks like a villain out of a kids movie, but he is a respectable Owner in this league full of not-so-respectable Owners. Good luck BURNER.

30. zenrooster says: Mar 1, 2013 5:44 PM

Truly classy, but I am afraid his best days are behind him. A backup/goal line option at best.

31. randallflagg52 says: Mar 1, 2013 5:48 PM

Very classy response by Turner, reminds me of the ad Tommie Harris took out in that Chicago paper when he was let go. Not a big fan of the falcons, nor was I a Turner fan, but after seeing this heartfelt response I wish him well in his future.

32. johnnyjagfan says: Mar 1, 2013 5:51 PM

This was a tough decision for them because of everything he said. Saw 8 Falcon games this year and the crowd loves him. Just ain’t “burner” like he used to be. Can’t hit the line at the same speed.

He’ll be a great short yardage back and a third-down back on blocking plays.

33. randylaheytpb says: Mar 1, 2013 5:56 PM

“Can we pease have more people like him in sports”

More people with a DUI 5 months ago?

That aside, I do respect huh is duide’s class in leaving and don’t think he shouldn’t be in the sport for getting a DUI, but pump the breaks a little bit.

Hah

34. mrintrigue says: Mar 1, 2013 6:01 PM

Seems like a very classy response to not so great news… I am a bit skeptical though that either his agent or others may have persuaded him to respond in a way to better his opportunity to continue playing. What I remember of seeing him play this year was not overly impressive. As long as my team has no interest I wish him well.

35. billbrasky72 says: Mar 1, 2013 6:06 PM

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up in Green Bay or Detroit

36. thestatsishere says: Mar 1, 2013 6:33 PM

I wish him the best. He’s a great person to have on a football team.

37. prmpft says: Mar 1, 2013 6:38 PM

As a Saints fan – I have to say that I have never disliked (been scared of – but never disliked) M.T.
    I wish him well because he has been one of those guys that transcended teams/rivalries…
    prm

38. kimbo71006 says: Mar 1, 2013 8:19 PM

As a Saints fan I say…we’ll take you!

Falcons loss would be our gain.

I don’t know where you guys think 31 is old. Wait until you’re 50, guess that means you’ll be on death’s door…

39. hor2012 says: Mar 1, 2013 8:50 PM

You know I’m a Saints fan. So, I enjoy ragging on falcons fans. Although I liked it when both teams stunk it seems like sense both teams have gotten good the rivalry has turned ugly between the fans. But, putting all that aside I really feel for Falcons fans. Because, the best chance to win a Superbowl with the team you have now was last year. The problem is the 49’ers and Seahawks are young and talented. And, we’re going to be a hell of lot better next year. So, you won’t have homefield througout. And, if your a dome team you have to have homefield to get to the superbowl. The Falcons will always be in the hunt but they’ll never win it all

40. darkglobe1 says: Mar 1, 2013 9:02 PM

Classy move, burner…go NIU!!!

41. dfalcon3522 says: Mar 1, 2013 9:58 PM

Hands down Michael Turner goes down as the best FA signing the Falcons have ever made. No FA singing has ever made the impact that he made on tis team over the last few years. Hopefully we can find some contributors this year with the small amount of xtra cash these moves open up. Even though this move was overdue by a season or 2 it was a good run. Thanks Burner! Best wishes

42. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 3, 2013 8:54 PM

This is where the Falcons GM gets it right and other GMs like Jerry in Dallas could learn a thing or two.

Everyone likes Turner but it’s a business and you don’t pay players for what they have done for you in the past. You pay them for what they can do going forward.

Knowing when to break off a guy is the key to staying on top.