Mike Florio runs down the Colts off-season to do list and says beefing up the offensive line to protect Andrew Luck is a must. Florio also says the Colts need to unleash Luck and let him run the ball. He’s smart, strong, and sturdy, and Florio wants to see him on the run.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
PFT Live: Colts need to beef up this off-season
One of the Ravens’ young wide receivers is reportedly on the mend.
Second-year pro Michael Campanaro sustained a quadriceps injury in Wednesday’s organized team practice activities, Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports. The degree of the injury is not yet known, the Sun said.
The 24-year-old Campanaro caught seven passes for 102 yards and one touchdown in four games as a rookie in 2014 for Baltimore, which traded a 2015 sixth-round pick to Cleveland to take Campanaro in Round Seven. He’s likely to at least be one of the Ravens’ top five wide receivers in 2015.
The Ravens’ OTAs this week run through Thursday.
With the Cavaliers qualifying for the NBA Finals, the city of Cleveland could finally shed most of its Factory of Sadness sports vibe.
Which brings me to Wednesday’s PFT Planet poll question: Which NFL team is best positioned to end a drought of 20 years or more in its current city?
Pick an answer, and then tune in to Pro Football Talk on NBCSN at 5:30 p.m. ET to see the answer. And to hear more about the latest NFL news, with Paul Burmeister, Ross Tucker, Jason Taylor, and yours truly.
Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus said Wednesday that he is happy to be able to move forward after the announcement of his one-game suspension because he can prepare for the season without something that was “hanging over my head for a while.”
Dareus’s attention won’t be limited to on-field matters, however. He’s entering the final year of his contract and admitted that thoughts about his future in Buffalo or elsewhere are on his mind as a result.
“We’ll wait and see what the Bills do,” Dareus said, via the team’s website. “It weighs on me heavily. Heavily. I’ve got to go out there and really perform and do what I have to do, which I always do — really have fun with it. Whatever the outcome is, is the outcome. However they want to play it is how they play it. I’m excited. I’m excited for the upcoming year.”
Bills General Manager Doug Whaley has said that an extension for Dareus is the team’s top priority at this point in the offseason and he told the Associated Press that he planned to speak with senior vice president of football administration Jim Overdorf on Wednesday about talks with Dareus’ camp.
That should give Dareus a better idea of what the Bills will do, but he thinks the team already knows what it needs to know about him. He said his play “speaks for itself” and the message it’s sent in the last couple of years suggests that someone will be giving Dareus a lot of money at some point in the near future.
Last year, the Browns applied the transition tag to center Alex Mack, allowing the team to match any offer sheet signed with a new team. The Jaguars signed Mack to an offer sheet that gives Mack the right to void the contract after two years. Which means that Mack can get out of Cleveland after the 2015 season.
On Tuesday, Mack declined to say whether he’ll exercise his right to hit the open market.
“I’m going to defer,” Mack said, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I’ll talk about that at the end of the season.”
But Mack was willing to say he hasn’t made up his mind.
“No, absolutely not,” Mack said. “Let’s play the games, let’s see how the season goes. I’m really not interested in talking about that until after the season.”
When he does, whether and to what extent the Browns can win games apparently will be a factor in the final analysis.
“I definitely want to win games,” Mack said. “It’s very important to me. No one likes losing. Across any job, anything, at all times. It’s tough, without a doubt. . . . What you always do, you just want to come out here, play games, play well and win games. That’s what every person in this building’s goal is.”
The Browns acquired some protection against Mack leaving by using a first-round pick on offensive lineman Cameron Erving, who played some center at Florida State. If Erving lives up to his potential, however, the far better outcome would be to keep both guys on the team.
Alabama’s starting quarterback in 2014 is said to be heading to the Canadian Football League.
Blake Sims, who went undrafted in May, has signed with the Toronto Argonauts, Everett Sports Marketing said on Wednesday. (A nod to 247Sports.com for first pointing out the announcement.) Al.com also reported Sims’ contract with Toronto.
As a senior, Sims (5-11, 218) connected on 252-of-391 passes for 3,487 yards with 28 touchdowns and 10 interceptions for the Crimson Tide. He will reportedly play quarterback in Toronto.
After the draft, Sims had tryouts with Washington and Green Bay, but he did not sign a contract with either club. In Washington, Sims worked at running back.
If Matt Cassel knows The Deflator, he’s not saying.
The Bills quarterback, who spent four years with the Patriots, three of them as Tom Brady’s backup, said he was just deferring to the league on its #DeflateGate punishment.
“I’m really not going to get into that,” Cassel said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “Obviously that was a league decision and it’s something that the league came down with a ruling and we’re going to go out there and play against whoever’s going to be out there on the field.”
Asked about Brady’s role in preparing game balls, Cassel chose his words carefully.
“I think it’s the same everywhere,” he said. “I think we all have a say in what balls we want and all that stuff and that’s about the extent that I’ll go into that.”
Of course, Cassel and Brady are still pals, hanging out at the Kentucky Derby despite the fact they’re division rivals now.
But as most players and coaches have, Cassel tried to hold his breath and get through this one without anybody noticing.
All the signs were pointing toward the Texans being this year’s Hard Knocks participant and it became official on Wednesday.
The Texans, NFL and HBO announced that the team will be featured on the long-running series that puts NFL Films cameras all over training camp to capture everything that goes into getting ready for the season. It’s the first time that the Texans have appeared on the show, which will debut on Tuesday, August 11 at 10 p.m. ET.
“This is an opportunity to provide a behind-the-scenes look at our team as we prepare for the 2015 season,” Texans General Manager Rick Smith said in a statement. “Fans will get a chance to see the great competition that takes place day-in and day-out on the practice field, as well as get to know all the unique personalities on our roster.”
At a press conference Wednesday, owner Bob McNair said he saw the show as an opportunity to introduce the team to more people around the country. He also vowed that the show wouldn’t be a distraction to the team, particularly coach Bill O’Brien.
“We discussed it. We’re not going to give anyone a competitive advantage,” McNair said, via John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.
After working for Bill Belichick in New England, O’Brien may not be thrilled about life as a reality star but, as is always the case when the boss makes up his mind, he’ll need to make his peace with it.
The Bills got to take a look at some of their backup running backs with the first team during team drills on Wednesday because running back LeSean McCoy was limited during practice.
A neck injury was the reason for McCoy’s abbreviated schedule during the workout. Coach Rex Ryan said after practice that the injury wasn’t anything the team was worried about, but that they decided to take it easy with a player they plan to be leaning on heavily come the fall.
“He’s got a little thing like in his neck or something like that, but it’s not serious but it’s one of those things where we don’t need him out there,” Ryan said, via ESPN.com. “I don’t even think he had a helmet — he might have had a helmet out there but I’m not sure.”
Anthony Dixon and Fred Jackson worked with the first team during the 11-on-11 portion of practice while Bryce Brown and rookie Karlos Williams got their reps with the backup units. With McCoy established as the No. 1 back, the competition between that quartet should provide the only intrigue in the backfield for Buffalo between now and September.
Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett is the latest first-round pick to sign his rookie contract.
The Colts announced Wednesday that Dorsett has agreed to the standard four-year deal with the team. As a first-round pick, Dorsett’s contract also comes with a team option for a fifth season at a salary equal to the 3rd-25th best-paid players at the position.
Dorsett’s selection raised some eyebrows since the Colts’ biggest needs were perceived to be on defense and the offensive line, but General Manager Ryan Grigson said the selection was made because the team wanted to take the best available player on their board. He has a good chance to contribute immediately as a returner in the kicking game and will compete with Donte Moncrief and Duron Carter for snaps behind T.Y. Hilton and Andre Johnson on offense.
At some point, the term “drone” became inherently sinister. At some point, the term “drone” became attached to all remotely-controlled devices that fly.
Which has caused plenty of people to assume that any and all drones are evil and capable of mass mayhem. Which likely has delayed many reasonable innovations relating to the use of drones.
In the NFL, one team is embracing the use of drones. Via Todd Archer of ESPN.com, the Cowboys are using drones to film practice during OTAs.
“We pride ourselves on coaching and teaching our players as well as we can and film has been a big part of the game for a long time,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Typically you have an end zone shot and a sideline shot. We use a lot of hand-held cameras on the ground. . . . One of our coaches went down to SMU for their spring practices and saw they were using it. They liked the angle. We got a chance to see it, so we decided to take a look at it.”
Last year, NFL Media considered using drones as part of the Inside Training Camp series. It’s unclear why the technology wasn’t used. Maybe it’s just the stigma of equating an innocent RC helicopter to an anonymous death machine.
Then again, maybe they are.
Bears owner George McCaskey said the decision to sign Ray McDonald this offseason was his.
So when he says he’s second-guessing that decision, he means he’s second-guessing his own process.
Via Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune, McCaskey told reporters that even though he initially said no and was talked into adding the troubled defensive lineman, that the decision to bring him aboard was “my decision, ultimately, alone.”
So it follows that he didn’t blame General Manager Ryan Pace for the embarrassing addition.
“Not at all. We have complete confidence in Ryan,” McCaskey said.
At the same time, he said he didn’t have any input on Monday’s decision to cut him when McDonald was again arrested for a domestic violence charge.
“I wasn’t involved because I didn’t need to be,” he said. “They knew what needed to be done and did it.”
McCaskey talked to McDonald prior to agreeing to sign him, warning him that his behavior had to improve. When it did not, McCaskey’s doubts crept in.
When asked why he didn’t talk to any of McDonald’s accusers prior to signing him, McCaskey said: “One of my concerns was the bias anybody has in that situation.”
Yet he didn’t consider that McDonald or his family might carry a bias themselves, which put him in the uncomfortable spot of answering questions today.
If the Vikings are wavering from their plan to have Adrian Peterson in their backfield in 2015, they are doing a very good job of keeping it under wraps.
Peterson isn’t with the Vikings for their organized team activities this week, something that was expected as Peterson has yet to report for any work with the team since having his suspension lifted in April. Coach Mike Zimmer made it clear on Wednesday that his decision not to take part in practice hasn’t changed the team’s position, however.
“He’s got two choices. He can play for us or not play,” Zimmer said, via Ben Goessling of ESPN.com.
Not playing would keep Peterson from earning the $12.75 million that the Vikings are set to pay him this season. There have been reports that Peterson still wants to be traded and suggestions from his camp that his willingness to rejoin the team might improve with some adjustments to the amount of guaranteed money in the remaining years of his contract, but the former appears to be off the table and the latter may be unless Peterson decides to come to work.
The Ravens re-signed undrafted rookie linebacker Andrew Bose on Wednesday, the team said on its website.
In a corresponding roster move, the club waived rookie linebacker Trey DePriest, who played collegiately at Alabama.
A Rhode Island product, the 6-foot-2, 232-pound Bose was credited with 125 tackles (48 solo) in his final collegiate season in 2014. He also recorded 4.5 sacks and one interception.
The 21-year-old Bose signed with Baltimore on May 8 before being waived six days later.
The Ravens have filled all 90 roster spots. The club is holding organized team practice activities this week.
As it turns out, his absence won’t even extend to the end of voluntary work. According to multiple reports from media members covering the Bears, Forte was at Halas Hall on Wednesday and took part in practice with his teammates.
Forte is in the final year of the four-year contract he signed with the Bears in 2012 and he’ll turn 30 in December, so his desire to shore up his future is understandable. Given the history of runners on the wrong side of 30, it is just as understandable that the Bears might prefer to let things play out this season before making any calls about Forte.
For now, though, it look alike the Bears plan to keep Forte front and center in the offense. Offensive coordinator Adam Gase used running back committees in Denver, but said this month that Forte’s presence makes for an “unusual situation” since he can play all three downs.
While Forte is back in the fold, tight end Martellus Bennett continues to stay away from the team’s voluntary work.
Perhaps Chan Gailey spoke too soon.
Or just too honestly.
After his offensive coordinator said Geno Smith was pegged as the starter and there would be no competition for the quarterback job, Jets head coach Todd Bowles said that wasn’t necessarily the case.
“Chan’s very matter-of-fact,” Bowles said, via Dom Cosentino of NJ.com. “Come camp time, there will be competition at the spot. . . . That doesn’t mean it’s going to stay like that.”
In jamming the toothpaste back in the tube, Bowles explained that Gailey’s reference was largely because Fitzpatrick is coming off a broken leg, and that means that today, there’s not necessarily a competition because there can’t be an even distribution of reps (though Fitzpatrick did some work in OTAs).
“You don’t start out having two or three guys getting first-team reps,” Bowles said. “I view it as open competition. It’s [Smith’s] to lose.”
Based on his track record, there’s a decent chance he will.
Smith has 41 turnovers in two seasons, while Fitzpatrick has the benefit of background with Gailey in Buffalo and a resume of solid if unspectacular play.
If Smith continues to play as he has, the competition will likely fire up again.