Te’o says no one asked him about sexual orientation

Manti Te'o Workout at IMG Academy Getty Images

When Katie Couric asked Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o about his sexual orientation, Te’o replied “far from it” with a lot of added emphasis on the far part of the answer.

That apparently satisfied the curiosity of the NFL teams that spoke to him at the combine. Unlike Colorado tight end Nick Kasa and Michigan State running back Le’veon Bell, though, Te’o says that none of the teams he spoke to in Indianapolis asked him about his sexual orientation.

“No, I don’t think that’s a question they asked,” Te’o said, via Kristian Dyer of Yahoo! Sports.

There are reports that teams are interested to know more about Te’o’s orientation, but that they knew they couldn’t ask even in the joking way that it appears the question was posed to other players. That’s because it is against both league policy and, in some cases, the law to inquire about the sexual orientation of a prospective employee.

With the league investigating, Te’o (and many other combine attendees) should be on the interview list to make sure no questions are crossing those lines.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
74 Responses to “Te’o says no one asked him about sexual orientation”
  1. upperdecker19 says: Mar 1, 2013 2:54 PM

But they substituted with:

If he liked movies about gladiators?
    Has he ever been in a Turkish prison?
    And has he seen a grown man naked?

So they got their answer in a roundabout way.

2. isphet71 says: Mar 1, 2013 2:54 PM

They didn’t ask because they already know their interpretation of the answer.

3. buddysguys says: Mar 1, 2013 2:54 PM

duuh he is in to fake girls….

4. chawk12thman says: Mar 1, 2013 2:55 PM

Felt they have all the info they need on him regarding this subject?

5. nyyjetsknicks says: Mar 1, 2013 2:56 PM

If they had his responses should have been:

“And this has what to do with my ability to play football?”

6. raiderssf says: Mar 1, 2013 2:56 PM

I bet they asked him to explain how he is going to be ready for the NFL when he played so poorly in the NC game . You know the types of questions that are not controversial and do not make the news, but that are far more important.

7. gregerss says: Mar 1, 2013 2:57 PM

Why would they ask? He’s clearly “trapped in the closet”.

8. friendlylittletrees says: Mar 1, 2013 2:57 PM

Because they didn’t need to…

9. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 1, 2013 2:59 PM

I don’t know, there has to be something a bit funny about a guy who chooses to call himself Manti T’eo. Seems a bit girlish to me.

10. packerman1968 says: Mar 1, 2013 2:59 PM

raiderssf says:
    Mar 1, 2013 2:56 PM

He played badly in one game. I am not a fan of his.

But it was one game. What about the rest of his college career. Does the coach take some of the blame for how they played?

11. samefamilymarriageadvocate says: Mar 1, 2013 3:00 PM

He seems like a great guy. I hope Chris Kluwe and that other guy I’ve never heard of recruit him for their fight against incestphobia and Same Family Marriage.

12. jaywebbsb says: Mar 1, 2013 3:01 PM

This is getting ridiculous, Tom Brady is gay and has been in the league for years, no one cares!

13. lilpuppy says: Mar 1, 2013 3:02 PM

why ask a question that they already knew

14. matthewcarlson1 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:03 PM

He already answered that question. So its not an elephant in the room, its not a topic of curiosity, its been asked and answered. You can believe him or not.

15. gronkspike802 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:04 PM

Or maybe they did ask but he realized his draft stock has fallen far enough because of his fake girlfriend and poor combine, and didn’t want to hurt it even more by complaining to the media about it.

16. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 1, 2013 3:04 PM

No need – they know.

17. travisfkingstephens says: Mar 1, 2013 3:04 PM

What’s there to ask?

18. sean6886 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:05 PM

So, we’re supposed to believe that some teams asked several other players about their sexual orientation-players that didn’t have published fake Girlfriends-but they didn’t ask Manti-the guy who had the fake Girlfriend who ended up being a guy?
    This guy cannot keep his lies straight.
    I don’t care about the fake G or even if he is gay but this lying stuff just makes him sketchy.
    If I had a real Daughter, I would not want her real dating this guy.

19. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 1, 2013 3:05 PM

That’s not what they meant by “tight end” teo.

20. cardmagnet says: Mar 1, 2013 3:06 PM

He’s even in the closet about being asked about being in the closet.

21. Beezo-Doo-doo-Zippity-Bop-bop-bop says: Mar 1, 2013 3:07 PM

This is already getting way past stupid. Drop this nonsense already.

22. wayne1693 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:08 PM

Enough already!!! Let’s stop obsessing over this damn issue, & let the kid play FOOTBALL!!!

23. steeelfann says: Mar 1, 2013 3:09 PM

This is not news!!!!!! Please stop with the gay stuff 24/7!!!!!!!!!!! We all know NBC bought you out, but please, enough. Like water torture.

24. shaggytoodle says: Mar 1, 2013 3:09 PM

I think the question on every ones mind is does he have the mental stability to play in the NFL.

25. vmannj says: Mar 1, 2013 3:11 PM

No need to ask….they already know.

26. bobonmycob says: Mar 1, 2013 3:13 PM

nyyjetsknicks says:Mar 1, 2013 2:56 PM

If they had his responses should have been:

“And this has what to do with my ability to play football?”

Do you want a fruitloop sniffing your jock? Probably not…

27. torturedraiderfan says: Mar 1, 2013 3:13 PM

Geez….this website is getting like the National Inquirer. Isn’t there any FOOTBALL news to report?

28. mattjay0101 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:16 PM

But strangely enough they did ask where I get my jeans………which I was like, oh my god I know, aren’t they to die for! and stuff like that.

29. upperdecker19 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:16 PM

Gay meaning happy? Absolutely! Deal me in.

30. johnqhorn says: Mar 1, 2013 3:16 PM

“No, I don’t think that’s a question they asked.” You don’t think? You know that they either asked or they didn’t ask. Why is he speaking in such vague terms?

31. officialgame says: Mar 1, 2013 3:16 PM

The knee pads he wore into interview may have given it away.

32. beerbudsnbevo says: Mar 1, 2013 3:16 PM

No need to ask…

When you pull up to the stadium in a blue Prius, listening to Lady Gaga, wearing skinny jeans with a cardigan sweater…

Pretty much answers your question

33. swaggyy says: Mar 1, 2013 3:17 PM

Why does everyone think he’s gay? Believing that you have a girlfriend and then she turns out fake and now everyone thinks your gay? I don’t get that. I get the cover up part. But no one would go to extreme lengths like that to cover up their sexuality. Now, if he would have been single the entire time and not interested in a relationship, then I would question maybe why not sense he was a BMOC. He could of had a real GF in an instant. Anyways, let’s just move on from this. Its really annoying and blown out of proportion in my opinion. It shouldn’t have been news in the first place. It’s someones personal life. I’m sure we could dig out something really embarrassing about every athlete. Let’s not forget this guy was the top recruit coming out of high school and is a heck of a football player. Oh he struggles against Alabama!?! His whole team struggled! Alabama is lime a pro team for crying out loud. Give him a break. Geez

34. nflofficeadmin says: Mar 1, 2013 3:17 PM

Is it really necessary at this point. It’s kind of obvious. That is a cute spikey haircut.

35. stats5 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:18 PM

“No, I don’t think that’s a question they asked,” Te’o said. Curious response from T’eo. Either they asked the question or they didn’t ask it. Maybe they did ask the question, but he thought they didn’t ask it. Does this guy have more than a 6th grade education? Maybe he didn’t understand any of the questions asked of him. He is definately a candidate to be the first NFL prospect to get a 0 on the wonderlic. Wonder if he can get a negative score.

36. crazycane says: Mar 1, 2013 3:18 PM

4.8

37. jcmeyer10 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:19 PM

One of the questions he was asked:

“So, what happens when you have to tackle Eddy Lacy at the pro level”?

38. swaggyy says: Mar 1, 2013 3:19 PM

Like not lime. Darn iphone

39. hrmlss says: Mar 1, 2013 3:20 PM

Why keep beating this dead horse? He got his ass handed to him in the Championship game, he sucked at the combine, so now teams know he is a choker.

40. raiderufan says: Mar 1, 2013 3:22 PM

And if they did does any one expect him to actually admit it? I highly doubt it.

41. tg2121 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:23 PM

“No, I DON’T THINK that’s a question they asked,” Te’o said

at least he’s learned to leave himself some wiggle room

42. godofwine330 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:24 PM

As Huggy Lowdown would say on the Tom Joiner Morning Show, “This is some bull-shiggidy.”

He is just hoping he stays looking good in the eyes of some NFL GM who may draft him. If he comes out and says, “Yeah, someone asked me,” somebody is going to ask who and that team who was thinking of drafting him might be that team. Heck, he is the reason that there were so many players that DID get asked about their sexuality in the first place.

43. clownsfan says: Mar 1, 2013 3:24 PM

They know Manti wouldn’t tell him the truth anyway.

44. landof10000lakes says: Mar 1, 2013 3:29 PM

I’m pretty sure we already know. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

45. higbone says: Mar 1, 2013 3:29 PM

Q: What is the hardest part about playing linebacker @ Notre Dame?

A: …telling everyone you’re gay…

46. maddog111 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:31 PM

swaggyy says:
    Mar 1, 2013 3:17 PM
    ——————————————-
    Dude, you seriously believe that? I’d think that the 100+ articles posted on this site in the last two weeks would show you exactly why someone might go to those lengths.

47. thechronicjoker says: Mar 1, 2013 3:39 PM

This horse is already dead so put the sticks away. If its not football related why shine any more light on yourself. How far do you want to drop in the draft?

48. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 1, 2013 3:47 PM

Te’o already had that question from Katie and his answer was “far from it”, whatever that means. Evidently there are different levels of being straight.

49. granadafan says: Mar 1, 2013 3:48 PM

Who is going to have the lower Wonderlic score, Te’o or Honeybadger?

50. fanofevilempire says: Mar 1, 2013 3:48 PM

I said when the girl friend story broke, this kid is gay, he just is afraid to admit it because there is NO OPENLY GAME male athletes in the major sports, why, because the locker room, it is just a fact.
    I feel bad for this kid and I want to throw up because of people who have to dig in to his life, reporters are douche bags too.

51. keylimelight says: Mar 1, 2013 3:53 PM

Joking aside, seems Manti’s biggest problem is choking when high performance is critical (BCSCG, Combine) so that’s where he needs to focus.

I’d like to say ‘leave him alone’ but I just as soon be shouting at the sky. It’s gotten to the point now where the media are leading an A-1 Bully Brigade.

Please, make it stop.

52. mvp43 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:56 PM

I would rather have a gay player on my team than player who decides that its okay to have 8 kids with 7 women…….

53. packerman1968 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:57 PM

Teo is kind of like Monica Lewinsky.

Do you really want to take him home to meet your father.

54. packerman1968 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:57 PM

Teo is kind of like Monica Lewinsky.

Do you really want to take him home to meet your father.

55. packerman1968 says: Mar 1, 2013 3:57 PM

Teo is kind of like Monica Lewinsky.

Do you really want to take him home to meet your father.

56. fuglyflorio says: Mar 1, 2013 3:57 PM

Don’t ask … don’t tell. Worked for the Army.

57. steelers88 says: Mar 1, 2013 4:02 PM

I can’t tell if his lying or telling the truth.

58. edithpiaf51 says: Mar 1, 2013 4:07 PM

who cares what he does behind closed doors or who or what he loves. the question is can he throw a football?

59. brant76 says: Mar 1, 2013 4:12 PM

Am I the only one who noticed that Te’o lifted his response to Katie Couric’s question from Isla Fisher in Wedding Crashers? The scene where she admits to Vince Vaughn that she’s no a virgin as she had claimed. He says “You’re not?” To which she replies, “No, faaarrrr from it.”

60. whysomanylosers says: Mar 1, 2013 4:18 PM

upperdecker19 says:
    Mar 1, 2013 2:54 PM
    But they substituted with:

If he liked movies about gladiators?
    Has he ever been in a Turkish prison?
    And has he seen a grown man naked?

So they got their answer in a roundabout way.

—————————————

I’m doing everything I can… and stop calling me Shirley!

61. officialgame says: Mar 1, 2013 4:31 PM

swaggyy says:
    Mar 1, 2013 3:17 PM
    Why does everyone think he’s gay?

Well when you carry on a conversation for two years with a man who sounds like a man it might give us a clue.

62. heraldedprophet says: Mar 1, 2013 4:32 PM

I’m not any kind of “equal rights” activist, or anything with the word activist in it for that matter, but who really cares? If he was flaunting it about and trying to make a statement, then there’d be issue, but he’s not discussing it, and it sounds like he’s got his mind on football. Its completely ridiculous that this is even being discussed.

63. mjkelly77 says: Mar 1, 2013 4:35 PM

This is getting ridiculous. A head coach, jim hairbough is gay, is in the league and no one cares.

64. westclaims says: Mar 1, 2013 4:45 PM

Not surprised that the gay issue is a major topic on this particular site.

65. bearssuck says: Mar 1, 2013 4:54 PM

In today’s age you can’t ask a man if he’s a twinkle toes. It’s seen as inappropriate. This dude clearly likes the same sex.

66. bradshawlives says: Mar 1, 2013 5:21 PM

They should ask “What are you going to do to stop running backs from running over you like Alabama did?”

67. malachiofcourse says: Mar 1, 2013 5:24 PM

no one asked, cause it’s not a question mark, since everyone knows he loves internet doods.

68. goods65 says: Mar 1, 2013 5:25 PM

like everyone else here,i am getting annoyed about hearing about teo and his sexuallity.How about talking about some Free Agency or maybe the draft thats coming up in about a month.thank you!!!

69. flipola says: Mar 1, 2013 5:29 PM

“No, I don’t think that’s a question they asked”? He had to have been expecting/dreading a question like that. Surely he’d remember being asked about it. He’s just trying to stay out of hot water with the teams that are actually interested in him.

70. rajbais says: Mar 1, 2013 6:23 PM

That’s good to hear, But after I heard about what Jim Miller said on a Chicago radio station I had to give my two cents worth on The topic of a gay player in a locker room.

I am under the impression that religious people know who is irreligious or an atheist. I would be surprised if religious people were unable to tell who does not have or choose to have a supreme being or God in his or her life.

If irreligious people or atheists are allowed to be in NFL locker rooms why are gay Players not allowed to be there because of other players’ religious beliefs?

I am surprised that nobody has found Miller’s comments to come off as contradictory in that sense.

71. ravenseattheirownpoop says: Mar 1, 2013 8:34 PM

Who in the hell cares. Leave this poor guy alone!! I think he’s been through enough already!
    He IS a good football player. Pass on him and you lose

72. bossbertozzi says: Mar 1, 2013 11:26 PM

And they’re believing him?

73. jfinn5 says: Mar 2, 2013 3:14 AM

Does Rodger ask an applicant about their sexual orientation when applying for the front office of the NFL?

74. joetoronto says: Mar 2, 2013 4:52 AM

Just look at that pic above, that says it all.