Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks: I can cover Megatron

Johnthan Banks AP

Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks had a disappointing Scouting Combine, but it didn’t hurt his confidence.

Banks, who ran a slower than expected 4.61-second 40-yard dash, said he thinks the players he most resembles are Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie and Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, and he said he thinks he can stop Lions receiver Calvin Johnson.

“I think I can play against anybody. I can own anybody,” Banks said. “I think I can cover Megatron.”

Banks also said he thinks SEC schools can compete with NFL teams, so his experience in the SEC has him ready. He may not be quite as ready as he thinks.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks: I can cover Megatron”
  1. truthfactory says: Mar 2, 2013 7:26 AM

… As opposed to those other CB’s who admit they have no shot at covering Megatron.

2. buffalosaint says: Mar 2, 2013 7:29 AM

I stopped reading at 4.61.

3. JackLeone says: Mar 2, 2013 7:32 AM

Everyone thinks they can cover Megatron….. Until they get the opportunity to. Then they realize they can’t cover Megatron and all the smack talk quietly goes away….

4. goraidersgospurs says: Mar 2, 2013 7:35 AM

Big Talk,he better live up to his words next year!!!

5. eagleseagleseagles says: Mar 2, 2013 7:37 AM

Stop just stop. No one and I repeat no one can cover megatron.

6. annodomini90 says: Mar 2, 2013 7:44 AM

There’s confidence, and then there’s stupidity. This guy is the latter.

7. sgtdiver says: Mar 2, 2013 7:45 AM

so he’s saying he’s the best corner in the nfl? Good luck with that.

8. randallflagg52 says: Mar 2, 2013 7:50 AM

Just another reason to hate the SEC. It’s easy to dominate college ball when you ignore academic qualifications. Enjoy the “titles” alabama, everyone knows you are the bud lite of colleges.

9. tundey says: Mar 2, 2013 7:53 AM

Sure all these guys that have been playing against future accountants and sports therapists think they can cover the best WR in the NFL. Sure, why not?

10. bobbyhoying says: Mar 2, 2013 7:56 AM

I think Bama would have given the Beagles a competitive game last season.

11. warrenmgd says: Mar 2, 2013 7:58 AM

He already talks like Richard

12. dariusmyles says: Mar 2, 2013 7:58 AM

Ok while what he said is kind of out there, this “nobody can stop megatron” talk is absurd. Revis held him to one catch for 14 yards. Sherman locked him down too. You people don’t know football. Megatron isn’t this amazing invincible receiver, yes he’s great but that’s because his size allows him to be. Once he’s matched up against a physical cb that he can’t bully, he doesn’t have much success. That’s because his instincts, his football IQ and his route running are subpar. Those are things tbat make u a great WR. Look at jerry rice. he excelled in all of those areas, megatron has physical gifts that overshadow and bail out all those areas that truly matter for a wr.

13. superdons says: Mar 2, 2013 7:59 AM

Assuming he gets drafted.

14. vaphinfan says: Mar 2, 2013 8:01 AM

I wish Calvin Johnson would hold a clinic and anyone who thinks they can cover him to come on out. He has to be tired of hearing these things. I dont think these fools realize he’s 6’4″ with a 43″ vert. Plus he runs a 4.4 and actually goes and gets the ball at its highest point.

15. mikeyhigs says: Mar 2, 2013 8:02 AM

Yep. He can cover Megatron. While in motion before the snap.

16. whatjusthapped says: Mar 2, 2013 8:17 AM

Now match up that statement with his Wonderlic score and you would have what they call, cause & effect.

17. bigdinla says: Mar 2, 2013 8:22 AM

This kid couldn’t cover Amari Cooper from Bama or Moncrief from Ole Miss, but he will shutdown Johnson? Give me a break. He is the worst Thorpe award winner ever. All of his picks came against Sunbelt schools.

18. vegasbearfan says: Mar 2, 2013 8:34 AM

yea Revis did a good job ONCE covering megatron, did Cromartie ever play megatron? How about a guy that controls megatron twice a year- that is the cornerback that this guy should try to emulate- Charles Tillman.

19. gotampabay52 says: Mar 2, 2013 8:35 AM

Watch what you say kid…..randallflagg52 “Bama is Bud lite of colleges” fn priceless. If I could buy you a beer I would cheers bro fn priceless

20. wtfchiefs says: Mar 2, 2013 8:38 AM

Talk is cheap.

And no NCAA team could come close to beating a NFL team. All that talk is ludicrous, regardless of what conference these guys play in. Football is a team sport, none of those college teams are as solid top to bottom as even the worst NFL roster is.

21. kindasporty says: Mar 2, 2013 8:39 AM

I can cover Megatron, no problem. A lot of people covered Megatron very well in fact, including some on this very site. Admittedly, I might not be able to cover him as well as Florio, but I don’t have as much experience in covering athletes as he does. What I don’t understand though, is why this draft prospect is worried about covering Megatron. He should be worried about defending NFL receivers.

22. eagles7to10 says: Mar 2, 2013 8:39 AM

Hey Darius, actually Megatron had 3 catches for 46 yard against Sherman, and they won. And Revis shut him down in 2010, I think we can agree Johnson has gotten significantly better the last two years, just look at his stats. The guy is the best WR since Rice and there’s no comparison.

23. cmart0907 says: Mar 2, 2013 8:40 AM

And im 5’10″ i can guard dwight howard.

24. asublimeday says: Mar 2, 2013 9:06 AM

Only Charles Tillman can cover megatron. He owns him.

25. knot2day133 says: Mar 2, 2013 9:18 AM

I love how Tillman and Shurman have created the illusion that they covered Megatron. Fact is, they didn’t. It was them, the safety over the top, and the LB underneath. If they really wanted to cover Megatron 1 v 1, then take away the double/triple coverage and let’s see how that turns out!

26. gbmickey says: Mar 2, 2013 9:25 AM

If you are going to emulate Cromartie I hope you at least have the sense to cover your johnson.

27. gbmickey says: Mar 2, 2013 9:27 AM

Williams from the Packers shut him down as well.

28. listerineman says: Mar 2, 2013 9:35 AM

it doesnt matter what you guys write, this dude will get drafted in the 1st round.

29. lks311 says: Mar 2, 2013 9:46 AM

asublimeday says:
    Mar 2, 2013 9:06 AM
    Only Charles Tillman can cover megatron. He owns him.
    —————-
    Owning him, as when he gets help over the top from the Free Safety deep? As in, every once in a while I hold him UNDER 100 yards? Tillman may be the best, but OWNING him? I love all the CBs that say they won the match-up with CJ when one or two other DBs are swinging over to help out. Yup. Like me saying I beat some guy, while two of my friends were holding him down.

30. mjkelly77 says: Mar 2, 2013 9:52 AM

Mississippi State’s Johnthan Banks: I can cover Megatron
    _________________

Then the Lions had better draft him. He can demonstrate this ability at every practice during the season.

31. kev86 says: Mar 2, 2013 9:58 AM

Kid is trying to generate some buzz after lousy combine. Can’t blame him for using the media since media does the same to players to generate headlines.

32. lilrob10201 says: Mar 2, 2013 9:59 AM

The only way you can cover Megatron is by throwing a blanket over him while he is sleeping.

33. 4thqtrsaint says: Mar 2, 2013 10:01 AM

I absolutely love Calvin Johnson. But stop telling me about how “he’s 6’4″ like he’s the tallest guy in the league. There are several players that big or bigger. If it were all about size, Welker would suck.

34. mjkelly77 says: Mar 2, 2013 10:04 AM

To quote that inimitable philosopher Mike Tyson: “Everyone has a plan ’til they get punched in the mouth.”

35. cmonelisha says: Mar 2, 2013 10:05 AM

of course he can cover megatron…i could to EASILY! all i have to do is back pedal, back pedal and then tap the Y button at the last second for the interception run around tap B so i spin around a personal tackling me and truck stick the last guy to get a few extra yards!..

these clowns need 2 sit down

36. dylanssongwriter says: Mar 2, 2013 10:05 AM

Another SEC loudmouth who will soon get a dose of reality

37. mjkelly77 says: Mar 2, 2013 10:09 AM

dariusmyles says:Mar 2, 2013 7:58 AM

___________________

Are you the one that bought the Jerry Rice jock strap on ebay?

38. sgtdiver says: Mar 2, 2013 10:10 AM

@dariusmyles What you said is absolutely not true. Sub par route runner, bad instincts and low iq?The man was NEVER placed in single coverage. The fact he broke the record while being doubled and bracketed speaks volumes on his instincts, route running and football IQ. He was the only threat for the lions and garnered a ton of attention for it. The only person with a low football IQ would be yourself. Thanks for playing.

39. 1oldpro says: Mar 2, 2013 10:54 AM

It’s a wonder Calvin catches any passes at all with these fabulous rookies shutting him down.
    Thank goodness there are still a few old pro CB’s out there for him to feast on. Sheesh!

40. WatchThis says: Mar 2, 2013 11:38 AM

I’m 42 years old. When I’m pumped up running 5 mph on the treadmill for 20 minutes, I think I can cover Megatron too.

41. johnj87 says: Mar 2, 2013 11:41 AM

All I Can Say Is… LOL!!! STOP IT YOUNG BUCK!

42. nagaswan says: Mar 2, 2013 11:46 AM

as opposed to the other CBs who say intelligent things.

43. SilentMajority says: Mar 2, 2013 12:04 PM

Of course he can cover him, probably not very well though…

44. jwreck says: Mar 2, 2013 3:11 PM

superdons says: Mar 2, 2013 7:59 AM

Assuming he gets drafted.
    _________
    Just dumb. Skill-wise and size-wise, Banks is the second best corner in the draft, and before a disastrous 40 time he was a high/mid-first rounder. His stock has fallen below Trufant and Rhodes now, but he will still be an excellent corner in the NFL, whether or not he can actually cover Calvin Johnson.

In his defense, he does play faster than he ran, despite being enormous, and he will be one of the larger corners in the NFL. Whether or not he can actualy cover CJ, it’s inarguable that he has the physical tools: strength, height, arms, range, and length to play Johnson physically.

On top of that, he didn’t say he could blanket Johnson and hold him to two catches for ten yards all game. He said he could cover Megatron. As in, I could not cover Johnson; but Banks has the ability to cover him.

45. jwreck says: Mar 2, 2013 3:24 PM

4thqtrsaint says: Mar 2, 2013 10:01 AM

________
    That isn’t why people bring it up. I’m sure you’ll agree that as far as sports go, bigger is better. If you’re a GM, in any sport, looking at two prospects, identical ability-wise: one 6′, the other 6’2. 10/10 GMs are going with 6’2 guy.

However as a general rule, as people get bigger, they get slower and clumsier. That’s why LeBron and CJ are so dominating. Bron is 6’11 and is still the most athletic guy on the court every night. Johnson is 6’5 and runs a 4.27. People bring up his height, not because he’s freakishly tall, but because that combination of height and athleticism is so rare.

It’s especially effective in the passing game, as DBs who can keep up with him tend to be 5’10 or 5’11 at most. So Johnson is not only just as fast, but has an advantage of 6 inches and a crazy wingspan.

46. jmacphee9 says: Mar 5, 2013 12:47 AM

charles tillman is the only CB ive ever seen effectively cover CJ. Revis and Sherman were both from the pre-”throw it to megatron even if he is in triple coverage phase” while obviously both of them played coverage on him very well, the gameplan went elsewhere. i believe pettigrew had 10+ catches in both of those games.

tillman gets him when the ball is coming to him and plays him hard. the man is impressive to watch, bears fans are lucky to have him..hes a hidden gem in the nfl.