Chip Kelly doesn’t think it’ll be hard to be objective about Oregon players

Chip Kelly AP

There have been plenty of college coaches to make the leap to the NFL over the years and those coaches have had different approaches to working with players they coached in college.

Jim Harbaugh hasn’t stocked the 49ers with former Stanford players and done just fine. Jimmy Johnson and Steve Spurrier both leaned on players from their old stomping grounds, however, and had very different results.

Chip Kelly hasn’t been on the job too long, but he’s shown some signs of going the familiar face route. They’ve signed quarterback Dennis Dixon and he gushed about defensive end/outside linebacker Dion Jordan at the combine last week, leading some to wonder if Kelly will be able to be objective enough in his evaluations when it comes to Oregon players. Kelly doesn’t think it will be a problem and thinks that his knowledge of the players will make it easier to evaluate just how well they’d fit in Philadelphia.

“I would think it would be an advantage, because we know them,” Kelly said, via Zach Berman of Philadelphia Inquirer. “I can tell you what they’re like on the field, I can tell you what they’re like off the field, I can tell you what they’re like in the meeting room.”

Jordan is held in high regard by just about everyone, so taking him fourth wouldn’t be a case of prizing past relationships at the expense of making the wisest choice for the team. Should Kyle Long, Kenjon Barner and others wind up trading in Duck wings for Eagle wings as well, we’d start to wonder a bit.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Chip Kelly doesn’t think it’ll be hard to be objective about Oregon players”
  1. richc111 says: Mar 3, 2013 12:27 PM

This should be interesting, every team is different and I guess winning will show. Kind of like Buffalo and Marrone. I guess the 4th place finish the the Big East by Syracuse was impressive enough to warrant him hiring 7 coaches from the Syracuse staff. Hey if you are going to show favoritism, it may as well be from a 4th place team in a mediocre college football division.

2. youcantmakemepickausername says: Mar 3, 2013 1:03 PM

I realize you said “leaned on” and not “drafted”, but it should be noted that the most significant player from Miami on those Jimmy Johnson Dallas teams, Michael Irvin, was drafted by the previous regime, not Johnson.

You are still right though, lots of former ‘Canes on those Dallas Super bowl teams.

3. micknangold says: Mar 3, 2013 4:18 PM

If the players are good, does it matter if Kelly coached them already or not?

4. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 3, 2013 8:42 PM

Has Chipper filled out the paper work yet to have their name changed to the Philadelphia Ducks? You know it’s just a matter of time….

5. kahunanc says: Mar 3, 2013 8:50 PM

Spurrier 2.0. Maybe 3 years. This guy so far over his head in Philly he is clueless

6. rtlemon21 says: Mar 4, 2013 10:37 AM

Philadelphia Ducks? Really?
    Let’s be ‘real’ for a second, I think Chip is the right choice for this organization, which is a prodominantly young core group. Dion Jordan would be a great pick at 4, and I don’t think we should think Kelly’s judgement was clouded by Jordan’s collegiate career. Is it really necessary to say Kelly ‘gushed’ over Jordan? Wouldn’t most coaches speak highly of a player that they coached in college? He is also helping this Jordan’s draft stock, which I see no problem with.

7. goducksfever says: Mar 4, 2013 8:33 PM

Everyone that knows college and pro football knows and respects Chip Kelly. The guy is a football savant and lives and breathes football 24/7. This Duck fan just became a Eagles fan and just hold on Philly, good things are coming. Be prepared for some football that will blow your mind, if you have any doubts catch some Duck games the last few years. Everyone thinks that he will try and bring the pistol offense to the NFL but Chip’s coaching style is to adapt to his players strengths and he is a scary judge of talent! Hey there is plenty of room for the Ducks and Eagles to fly high and above all the rest!

8. duckfootballrules says: Mar 4, 2013 10:47 PM

Hey Philly Fans,

I too am an avid Duck fan who just became a Philly fan-by-Chip! I agree 100% with the poster’s comment about what Chip Kelly will bring to your team – and fast! The guy doesn’t need the top/top talent because he is a brilliant tactician and really knows how to scheme around his personnel. I hear the doubt in many a Philly fan, not to mention these idiot Cowboy fans, but trust me when I say “you will be pleased with the direction of your team – this season” As far as the inter-division naysayer’s, we had many a USC troll trying to come at us the same way in season 1; season 2; season 3…. But by last season…the fools were diminished to harking on their storied past!

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 5, 2013 3:38 PM

rtlemon21 says
    Philadelphia Ducks? Really?
    __________________________________
    Kelly is bringing in Oregon coaches and now Oregon players and that should be a concern for even the most blind eagle fan. It’s the NFL.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it’s probably a stinkin’ duck!