Manti Te’o: I’m “obviously” faster than I showed at the Combine

Manti Te'o AP

Former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o says the 4.82-second 40-yard dash that he showed off at the Scouting Combine doesn’t indicate how fast he really is.

And Te’o says it should be obvious that he’ll run faster than that at Notre Dame’s Pro Day.

Obviously, faster than a 4.8,” Te’o told Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune. “We’ll see what happens.”

Te’o has blamed stress for his slow time at the Combine, but there have long been questions about Te’o’s speed. We noted in December that people were questioning whether he was fast enough to be an elite NFL linebacker, and Te’o still hasn’t done anything to answer those questions sufficiently.

But Te’o insists that he plays a lot faster than his Combine 40 showed.

“I think the 40 time measures what the 40 time is supposed to measure,” Te’o said. “I think that’s something that I’m going to get better. The only way from here is up, so I’m definitely going to get better at that. I think, as far as play, I think what’s on the film, that’s the play. Obviously, I can get faster in my 40.”

It may be obvious to Te’o, but it’s not obvious to NFL teams that he’s any faster than 4.82.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
68 Responses to “Manti Te’o: I’m “obviously” faster than I showed at the Combine”
  1. seahawks80 says: Mar 3, 2013 7:47 AM

He might turn out to be an average player but I doubt it. When he played against a good team (Alabama) he got used and abused.

2. dcsween says: Mar 3, 2013 7:50 AM

Between “obviously” and “faaaaaaar from it,” he’s going draw a flag for excessive use of the adverb.

3. letsgopens8771 says: Mar 3, 2013 7:51 AM

GO TE’O!!! Hope he proves everybody wrong. The best solution is for trolling Alabama fans & Irish haters and especially the media is to leave this guy alone and just let him play. Hope he goes to a good team. It would be a cryin’ shame if he were to be a Chief, Brown, or a Jaguar. He’d have to go to the Grotto @ Notre Dame to work al that out with God.

4. muelfuel says: Mar 3, 2013 7:58 AM

Yeah, and obviously my dick is bigger than 6″.

5. pjrhc says: Mar 3, 2013 8:03 AM

I think he is what Alabama showed him to be in the championship game… overrated. Should go in the 3rd-5th round, based on skill and not college media hype.

6. joetoronto says: Mar 3, 2013 8:04 AM

He obviously has too much estrogen and not enough testosterone.

7. metrocritical says: Mar 3, 2013 8:05 AM

What’s most obvious is that the more we hear from Manti Te’o the more oblivious he sounds. While he may feel obliged to speak about the game with the oblong object, his draft stock is plummeting towards oblivion.

8. reediddy says: Mar 3, 2013 8:05 AM

huh boy….

9. spideysdog says: Mar 3, 2013 8:06 AM

Go away. please. just go away already. Your 15 minutes were up weeks ago.

10. buzzbeaubank says: Mar 3, 2013 8:06 AM

“Obviously, past 3rd base. We’ll see what happens.”
    - me in 8th grade

11. lostsok says: Mar 3, 2013 8:06 AM

Maybe his beard slowed him down.

12. ncs115 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:08 AM

There are quite a few things about Manti that are obvious that he doesn’t show

13. bh83 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:09 AM

He doesn’t know how to run, upright start, small steps, rigid back. It doesn’t look like his body would allow him to run any faster.

14. mtheparrothead says: Mar 3, 2013 8:10 AM

Anyone still questioning his orientation after watching him run?

15. kwgator says: Mar 3, 2013 8:19 AM

Dude Love is Manti Te’o favorite wrestler

16. willjasper says: Mar 3, 2013 8:28 AM

I’m having a tough time projecting a team that is willing to gamble a first or second round pick on Te’o.

17. jthammerstix says: Mar 3, 2013 8:30 AM

It’s hard to run fast with your d and b’s taped securely between your butt cheeks.

18. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:32 AM

I would not go anywhere near this guy. I can definitely see him taking a Burfict-like plunge next month. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bengals be the one to take a chance on him.

19. mdev1987 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:33 AM

I’m in better shape and have w real gf. I’ll play for Baltimore. This guy has bust “on” him

20. 2dmo4 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:33 AM

In a Maury Povich voice, “Our speed detector tests again proves that is a lie!”

21. mdev1987 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:33 AM

T’eo, tebow says thanks

22. thechronicjoker says: Mar 3, 2013 8:36 AM

Congratulations on making it to the Supplemental Draft.

23. hotstampjax says: Mar 3, 2013 8:38 AM

He will run much faster if the guy he is tackling is naked.

24. bigblue00 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:39 AM

Talk is cheap

25. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Mar 3, 2013 8:39 AM

I hear he has a new girlfriend but she lives in Canada and he met her at Niagara Falls so we wouldn’t know her.

26. jbaxt says: Mar 3, 2013 8:41 AM

Maybe his lost connection with his made-up-girlfriend-dude is taking a toll on him. It’s something no one has ever experienced the NFL should look past his issues and take him in the top
    10. Right, only ND fans that support him?

27. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Mar 3, 2013 8:47 AM

Obviously he was distracted at the combine by being around all those Tight Ends.

28. robinyount19 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:50 AM

Shut up and prove it.

29. jp4120 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:53 AM

notre dame crybabies can’t take the truth.
    your beloved Te’o is a gay fraud that can’t play in the NFL.
    think about that when you sing the irish fight song, you douche-bags.

30. flavordave says: Mar 3, 2013 8:56 AM

You are what we thought you were, and we’re not letting you off the hook! – D Green

31. bamasleeper13 says: Mar 3, 2013 8:56 AM

I haven’t seen any Teo haters from Bama fans on here. All I think the NC game showed is that in the SEC he would be a back up. I wish him well in the draft.

32. hoosierdude says: Mar 3, 2013 8:57 AM

You are what your record says you are.

33. keylimelight says: Mar 3, 2013 9:01 AM

At least he has abandoned his assertion that he was running 4.5 and 4.6 during his training sessions. Recall he made that comment when put on the spot as he sat between Rich Eisen and Mike Mayock of NFL Network for a post performance interview.

But really, how much straight line speed does a player in the ILB position need.

Are we nitpicking about his 40 time when his real value is his ability to weave his way to the guy with the ball? His knowledge and instincts are what got him this far because obviously, he’s not built for speed.

34. billsfan1 says: Mar 3, 2013 9:06 AM

maybe if he wasnt giving his girlfriend a piggy back ride while running the 40…..

35. killitandeatit says: Mar 3, 2013 9:12 AM

The combine is the measuring gauge at the moment ,not the Notre Dame media machine. The tape doesn’t lie and neither does the stop watch. Somebody has got to have a sit down with this kid and explain the new reality is the media is not your friend. You went from media darling to media clown ,so just don’t say anything because it can an will be used against you. If you do well at the N.D. pro day just smile and point up at the clock.

36. 69finfan says: Mar 3, 2013 9:16 AM

And I am obviously younger than 54, somebody made a mistake on my birth certificate.

37. EJ says: Mar 3, 2013 9:18 AM

It doesn’t matter what school he played for, what time he runs in the 40 or whether or not he likes women. Once the pads go on, everybody knows he can play. People are only second guessing what they thought of him a half a year ago because of all the drama that has come up. Before all the crap hit the fan, most had him pegged as a first rounder. Now, everybody is saying he’ll be lucky to be taken before the third. Why? Because he had some drama going on? What does that have to do with what he does on the field? Nothing.

38. evrybdyhas1 says: Mar 3, 2013 9:22 AM

A lot of PR for a 4th round pick. Alabama was the audition!

39. runtheball says: Mar 3, 2013 9:25 AM

Brandon Spikes ran a 5.0. He was drafted in the second round and is a solid player.

40. eyefeeler says: Mar 3, 2013 9:31 AM

I hope the Jets draft him.

41. bullybirds says: Mar 3, 2013 9:31 AM

I’m sure NFL teams are more interested in his internet connection speed.

42. sogooda says: Mar 3, 2013 9:31 AM

He’s still gonna go early in the 2nd round. Sorry haters.

43. nflofficeadmin says: Mar 3, 2013 9:36 AM

Just pull a Vontaze Burfect and you’ll be fine.

44. tbtrojan says: Mar 3, 2013 9:44 AM

Oh how I hope this weak minded clown runs slower at his Pro Day so we can get some more comedy gold while he scrambles to make excuses.

45. danimal1027 says: Mar 3, 2013 9:54 AM

I love this guy. The more we hear about him the less we hear about Tebow

46. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 3, 2013 9:55 AM

Couldn’t pay me to draft this kid if I was an NFL team.

Manti Te’o, welcome to undrafted free agency.

47. polegojim says: Mar 3, 2013 9:58 AM

He is as fast… as he ran…

He struggled against NFL quality RBs and TEs…

Maybe he’s better than that… but which NFL team wants to burn a high pick to find out??? None that I know of.

48. theravens1 says: Mar 3, 2013 11:04 AM

No one is questioning those words – right?

49. vincelombardisghost says: Mar 3, 2013 11:09 AM

Facts is facts, Teo, until you price otherwise

50. ben1332 says: Mar 3, 2013 11:26 AM

Remember when Burfict ran the 40 in over 5.0 and was declared undraftable?
    Remember when Laurinaitis ran nearly the same as Te’o did?
    Both of those guys must suck.
    People should stop reading tabloid stories and watching guys run around in their underwear if they’re going to try to figure out who’s good at playing football. Give watching some football games a try.

51. christopher525 says: Mar 3, 2013 11:27 AM

One major upside for him now, he doesn’t have to worry about being labeled a draft bust. If he’d been taken in the first round (especially top 15), he could have been inching close to the ever painful Russell/Leaf line. Now, when he’s taken 4th round or later, he’ll be seen as either a run of the mill 3rd string guy, or at best, a solid special teams player.

52. getyourownname says: Mar 3, 2013 11:27 AM

On the one hand, Terrell Suggs combine 40 time was reportedly 4.8. Pretty sure most teams would like him on their roster. So that time thing shouldn’t be treated as the magic key.

On the other hand, Te’o’s lack of self-awareness is a giant red flag.

53. sb50 says: Mar 3, 2013 11:31 AM

I think he’s quicker more than he is fast. He looked good in the drills at the combine, quick feet, good agility, good acceleration but the game against alabama scares me a bit. However, when I watched georgia vs alabama olgetree didnt look any better. yeah he had a TD but throughout the game he wasn’t very effective. so it’s not only te’o who had a bad game aginast bama. But from what it looks like, it seems he’ll be a early 2nd round pick.

54. diehardpanther says: Mar 3, 2013 11:34 AM

Maybe his 40 time is a hoax too! This guy will be a punch line the rest of his life!

55. barbeaux says: Mar 3, 2013 11:39 AM

His credibility is lacking. The proof is in his stats from last season and the combine. Stats don’t lie.

56. 1oldpro says: Mar 3, 2013 11:43 AM

In other words, 4.82 is his imaginary 40 time.

57. shieldsisland37 says: Mar 3, 2013 12:11 PM

The only way a small linebacker can survive in the NFL is if he is lightning quick or built like a monster. That way they can beat the block with speed or power. That is even a rarity, most NFL linebackers are about 50 lbs short of a lineman and just get off blocks with their size. Teo will get devoured in the nfl. That being said, I hope he works hard and makes it. I will be the one guy rooting for this kid. It is kind of sad that people root for a young man to fail just because he isnt elite and made a dumb mistake. If we wished that on everyone young man, we wouldnt have any left.

58. dirtyharry44 says: Mar 3, 2013 12:20 PM

A life of denial……..hmmm………

59. gadzod says: Mar 3, 2013 12:39 PM

And obviously the honey badger is stronger than 4 reps……

60. md228010 says: Mar 3, 2013 1:58 PM

Now if he doesn’t improve 40 yard time at nfl pro day by say .5-.8 then what.. Here’s to him doing so and having a prolific career.. Human nature to kick someone when their down.. I know he cleaned up every defensive award this past year.. 1 bad game vs a power house.. He still managed 10 tackles.. Clearly missed lots too. O missed on the 1st five 3rd down conversions.. Terrible game

61. realdealsteel says: Mar 3, 2013 2:51 PM

Don’t trust or like a man who’s girlfriends have adam’s apples and hands bigger then mine. Just sayin…….

62. mrpowers88 says: Mar 3, 2013 4:17 PM

I’m pretty sure the only way you can run slower at your Pro Day is if you break your femur between the Combine and then.

63. kicksave1980 says: Mar 3, 2013 5:10 PM

If I remember correctly, James Laurinaitis also had a pretty slow 40 time, and he’s been a steal for the Rams. Not really saying anything about Te’o here, even though I do like him, but I think too much emphasis is put on combine numbers. A lot of people can lift an impressive amount if weight, but can’t block. If 40 times meant everything, Carl Lewis would be a football hall of famer.

64. johnnyb216 says: Mar 3, 2013 6:54 PM

I’m confused. So he just chose not to run his fastest?

65. briggsweatbird says: Mar 3, 2013 8:10 PM

Headline:
    I’m “obviously” faster than I showed at the Combine

What he was actually quoted as saying: “Obviously, I can get faster in my 40.”

There IS a difference. We HOPE that a first year student in “journalism” school would recognize such a misleading headline for what it is.

Teo not quoted as what he IS, only what he expects TO BE. C’mon. Be accurate. Make an attempt to be fair.

66. salventuri says: Mar 3, 2013 9:21 PM

The Priests at Notre Dame were quite impressed with his ball handling however.

67. jprcox says: Mar 3, 2013 9:54 PM

This article is not fair to Te’o. I didn’t say he was “obviously” faster than I showed at the Combine””…he said:

“Obviously, I can get faster in my 40.”

Big difference. He is simply saying he can do better – not that he is obviously faster.

68. omniusprime says: Mar 4, 2013 9:00 AM

Manti Te’o is a drama queen and a big fat liar! If Te’o could run a faster 40 than why didn’t he? Is it because he chokes for the big game? Any NFL team that drafts his worthless carcass is going to be wasting their money and draft pick. He’ll be an even bigger drama queen than his hero, Tiny Tim Teblow.

Manti and Tiny Tim should go for the Lingerie League since both are such drama queens. Maybe then they’ll learn how to play with girls, become real men. Maybe the girls can teach Tiny Tim how to throw like a man.