Cushing aims for bar set by Peterson

Cushing Getty Images

The uncanny ACL recovery by Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, who suffered the injury on Christmas Eve and launched his league MVP season less than nine months later, has skewed fan expectations for others who suffer the same injury.

For Texans linebacker Brian Cushing, who tore an ACL in October, Peterson’s recovery has become an objective to achieve.

“I just want to come back and be the same player, if not better,” Cushing told CSNHouston on Saturday night.  “I think a lot of guys see guys get hurt with ACL and don’t know what to expect.  You look at guys like [Chiefs running back] Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson, came back and had better years than probably they’ve ever had before.  That’s the bar they’ve set and that’s the same bar I want to reach.”

Cushing, who is working out five days per week, said that he is now jogging.  The next step will be full-speed running.

He has more than six months before the season starts, and he’s five months removed from the injury.  For now, then, the belief is that Cushing will be ready to go when the Texans suit up in September.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Cushing aims for bar set by Peterson”
  1. Sackville Rc says: Mar 4, 2013 1:29 PM

I wish you luck. Peterson set the bar pretty high. If the NFL is already protecting offensive players, then it is time for them to start protecting defensive players as well. It is not the NFL I grew up on, but I understand.

2. davetexansfan says: Mar 4, 2013 1:31 PM

I mean, what’s he supposed to say? “Yea I’m just gonna take my time and come back whenever.” Of course he wants to come back as soon as he can. Of course he wants to come back better than he was. He is one hell of a hard worker though. I’m pretty sure he’s been in the gym since his injury.

And for the love of God…don’t make any steroid jokes. There so old and unoriginal and really not funny anymore. He made a mistake his rookie year and hasn’t done anything wrong since. Let it go.

3. gochargersgo says: Mar 4, 2013 1:34 PM

Unrealistic.

4. jagsfan1 says: Mar 4, 2013 1:35 PM

Cush – you have taken alot of crap over the roids thing…and probably deservedly so….

But that being said…you have played great the last few years and even as a Jags fan I love the way you play the game.

Come back stronger than ever my man!

5. caliviking805 says: Mar 4, 2013 1:43 PM

Can’t do it.
    Peterson is a god, Cushing is a mere mortal.

6. shaggytoodle says: Mar 4, 2013 2:02 PM

I’m going out on a small limb and say pretty confidently he won’t rush for over 2000 yards.

7. mrlaloosh says: Mar 4, 2013 2:04 PM

No steroid jokes BUT, HGH is basically undetectable. Once a juicer always a juicer.

8. htowntexan says: Mar 4, 2013 2:10 PM

do people really think that Peterson made it back without some “help”? his sort of improvement one year to the next would have been remarkable if he was 100% healthy. with a serious injury, how is it possible? only with some “help”.

9. boobschannel says: Mar 4, 2013 2:33 PM

considering cushings history of steroid use, not sure what there is to discuss in regards to this topic.

10. whatjusthapped says: Mar 4, 2013 2:54 PM

With or without chemical assistance?

11. trojanwarrior007 says: Mar 4, 2013 2:56 PM

only thing is I don’t think AP had man boobs when he was in college.

12. eyezworld says: Mar 4, 2013 3:01 PM

i agree with boobschannel. he is not worried because he still has a tube of ” the clear”

13. raiderapologist says: Mar 4, 2013 3:25 PM

davetexansfan says: Mar 4, 2013 1:31 PM

————————–
    Pleading for the jokes to go away won’t help. Roll with it.

14. contra74 says: Mar 4, 2013 3:29 PM

htowntexan says:Mar 4, 2013 2:10 PM

—-
    I love how determination to get something done is merely waived off as having gotten it done with ‘help.’

15. noring4youstill says: Mar 4, 2013 4:20 PM

Well he is no stranger to PEDs

16. medialovesthecowboys says: Mar 4, 2013 6:14 PM

Everybody is different and every BODY is different. We’ll see. Plus he won’t have any juice helping him out.