Revis says news of trade talks “hit home”

darrelle-revis1 Getty Images

Jets G.M. John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan danced around the future of cornerback Darrelle Revis when talking to season-ticket holders on Monday.  Revis, in a video posted on YouTube on Monday, didn’t pull many punches.

In an interview with Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson, Revis addressed his reaction to news that he was being shopped by the Jets at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

“I’m a competitor,” Revis said.  “I’m always trying to compete, whether it’s on or off the field.  This hit home.  This definitely hit home.  Especially being one of the best players out there and come to find out you’re getting shopped.

“It really hits home.  By main focus is it really doesn’t matter where I’ll be at.  I know what I can do.  I’m confident in what I can do . . . . So whether it be there with the New York Jets or it be with another team, I have to do what I have to do and play ball and do my services for that team.”

As to the possibility of being traded to the 49ers, Revis acknowledged that the team is already doing fine without him.

“I would just be an addition to help them win that trophy,” Revis said.  “Would it be awesome?  Yeah.  My main goal as a I player and I think of all of us as players in the NFL is to hold that Lombardi Trophy up in the air and to wear that ring.”

Part 2 if the interview apparently is coming soon.  Maybe they’ll talk about Robinson’s teammate, cornerback Richard Sherman.

Stay tuned.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Revis says news of trade talks “hit home””
  1. beerbudsnbevo says: Mar 4, 2013 10:20 PM

Trade for a Cornerback with a tore up knee…

That’s a big negative Ghost rider…

2. blackngold4life says: Mar 4, 2013 10:23 PM

Is this dude really mad about possibly being traded from the Jets? Foreal?? its a business All NFL players end up as trade bait sooner or later.

3. socalseahawker says: Mar 4, 2013 10:27 PM

New drinking game. Take a drink every time you hear the word um….um….um…. and don’t plan on driving.

4. westchiefs5 says: Mar 4, 2013 10:32 PM

I feel terrible for this guy. He just can’t a break. I mean he’s going to be forced to hold out for a 3rd time in his short career. Life’s not fair. Poor guy.

In unrelated news, it looks like Revis is taking over James Harrison’s role as NFL crybaby.

5. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Mar 4, 2013 10:32 PM

Oh please Mr Transparent, As if you don’t know the Jets are not going to test the market & look at all options. If nothing more than to get a gauge on value for any future negotiations on a contract.

6. Iknoweverything says: Mar 4, 2013 10:35 PM

Dont know why anyone bothers posting comments anymore. If your thoughts are more insightful, knowledgeable, or intelligent than the “journalists” here, they just refuse to post your comments.

7. therealraider says: Mar 4, 2013 10:45 PM

Hey Revis your a Great player, But your also a pain in the arse with your constant contract drama.

8. themackstrong says: Mar 4, 2013 10:48 PM

All the Real Rob Reports over the years have been fun to watch. You really get to see the players personalities and the camaraderie between them. Revis seems like a cool dude. Mike Robinson is going to keep being one of the best fullbacks in the NFL for sometime but I can’t wait until he knocks one of those former players off the show when he retires. They are getting worse – McNabb-Heath Evans & Sharper has Sir Charles syndrome where I can’t understand him half the time he’s talking.

9. swagger52 says: Mar 4, 2013 10:49 PM

Given how Revis the “elite” player acts and what comes out of his mouth, I am so glad the Ravens have a bunch of non-elite players.

10. chaseutley says: Mar 4, 2013 11:03 PM

Whatever. You don’t get to play the victim when you’re a former contract holdout who is playing the PR game because your contract won’t let you hold out again.
    Turn that frown upside down, guy. I’m pretty sure you’ll get over it.

11. doctorfootball says: Mar 4, 2013 11:32 PM

Revis has already held out twice. He’s coming off of a major injury, yet wants to be paid like a star quarterback. I don’t blame the Jets one bit for trying to trade him. And, every chance he gets he runs to the media to complain and talk about how surprised he is that they’re shopping him.

12. veence69 says: Mar 4, 2013 11:43 PM

You are a dense fool, Revis. If you’re being shopped around, it’s because you’re a baller and the Jets are fishing for a GM that will be looking for a final piece to their contender (meaning, of course, you’ll have a better opportunity to win a Super Bowl), for a generous trade.

Your Ego is making you look like a dim punk, Darrel. You should check that.. Because right now you sound like a punk.

:drinky:

13. Scott says: Mar 4, 2013 11:55 PM

Revis being shocked that he is being shopped us shocking (nice huh?). Truth is, this greedy bastard is being shopped because the Jets know he us going to walk for MORE money in a year. Sure these guys should be able to earn whatever someone will pay them, but dude, you have fans that bleed green for you. Stop being a dick and play ball. By the way, I’m a Fins fan. I hope Revis stays with the Jets…he fits right in with that band of knuckleheads.

14. pittsburghsteelerz says: Mar 5, 2013 12:11 AM

Hopefully Revis throws a drink at someone soon. Send him to Pittsburgh for a 5th rounder a la Santanio Holmes.

15. rwmilli says: Mar 5, 2013 12:13 AM

Why would they talk about Sherman? He’s just better…look at the numbers and I’m not just talking stats, revis is great and an awesome player but somebody with his level of talent in addition to bigger, faster, and stronger = better…sorry reev

16. davikes says: Mar 5, 2013 12:23 AM

I don’t get what Revis is complaining about. There’s about 25 teams that have a better shot at the SB than the Jets do in the next 2-3 years. He should be jumping as high as he can right now for joy. If he were smart he should put out the word that he’d redo his deal to play for a contender.

17. jimiinpa says: Mar 5, 2013 2:51 AM

a ” has been ” being interviewed by a ” never was “

18. stampnhawk says: Mar 5, 2013 3:53 AM

Real Rob reports are pretty insightful; or at least more insightful and natural then when dolts like Esiason, Cowher, Sharpe, Keyshawn or Bradshaw “sit” down to do a pat on the back corporate interview week to week.

19. bamboozle99 says: Mar 5, 2013 4:07 AM

I don’t get it. He can hold out whenever he wants. But if someone tried to trade him, that’s just unacceptable? Plus I don’t know about him being one of the best players in the league. You probably can still say that about his position, but overall? I don’t think so.

20. j4man1 says: Mar 5, 2013 5:36 AM

You obviously suck if even the Jets don’t want you.

21. jpb12 says: Mar 5, 2013 7:23 AM

Shocked that a guy who held out twice – would not know that the NFL is a business.

If he doesn’t hold out, there’s no way the Jets sign a contract with a no franchise clause… and no way they trade him.

He wrote his own deal and this was inevitable.

22. slobmykolb says: Mar 5, 2013 7:35 AM

Iknoweverything says;

Amen! I must be a really insightful and intelligent person because these so called writers never ever post my responses. I know I’ve had a few duds and was probably a little out of line but I’ve also wrote a few good ones that never seen the light of day on here either! Just pitiful

23. mj1818 says: Mar 5, 2013 7:37 AM

And home is in Pittsburgh! Wish he didn’t have such a huge contract or he might want to play for his hometown team.

24. tigerlilac says: Mar 5, 2013 8:10 AM

Revis is under 6 feet and under 200 lbs. Despite being small by NFL (if not cornerback) standards, he is, or was, the best cornerback in the NFL. Revis proves his ability on the field withthe whole world watching. An anonomous poster above calls Darrel Revis a punk. Get a mirror buddy.

25. whatjusthapped says: Mar 5, 2013 9:01 AM

Its not a coincidence that players who are locker room cancer never end up winning a Superbowl, Randy Moss, TO, and Chad Ocho-stinko come to mind.

Revis, like the players above, has talent galore but in team game, he’s not worth all the drama he brings to a locker room. Pity the team that thinks they can change his attitude except he is going anywhere, the Jets wouldn’t be able to trade him for any real value so they will keep him on the roster for what is sure to be a bigger circus in 2013.

26. salventuri says: Mar 5, 2013 11:14 AM

About five years after he retires, Revis will be holding out for a bottle of Olde English outside the liquor store.