Goldson hopes to remain with Niners, open to playing anywhere

49ers Goldson celebrates after breaking up a pass against the Jets' during their NFL football game in East Rutherford Reuters

The 49ers passed on using the franchise tag on safety Dashon Goldson earlier this week, something that made the safety happy.

His happiness isn’t because he doesn’t want to remain with the team, however. Goldson said during an interview with Sirius XM Radio that he is still hopeful that he can work out a long-term contract that allows him to stay with the 49ers in 2013 and beyond, although he admitted that there isn’t much talk about a contract going on right now.

“I still hope there’s a future for me in San Francisco but as far as the overall feeling, it feels good. I really hope something works out in San Francisco, its home for me,” Goldson said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We’re making good progress of bringing that tradition back. Right now, there has not been much talk. Hopefully something picks up and if they are not, I will be interested in what other teams would have to say.”

During the interview, Goldson said, via the San Jose Mercury News, that he was open to playing “pretty much anywhere” if things don’t work out in San Francisco. He was was asked about the prospect of playing for the Bengals and had a positive reaction to that possibility.

“I like those guys down there. I went to school with Reggie Nelson, played with Nate Clements, I was here with Taylor Mays and Manny Lawson so I’m familiar with some of those guys and how they play,” Goldson said. “They’ve got a good football team down there. They’re on track and they’ve got a good quarterback and receivers. I will have to consider all my options and we’ll have to see whose interested in me.”

The Bengals do have a need to upgrade at safety, although Goldson figures to have quite a few bidders when free agency gets underway next week.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
29 Responses to “Goldson hopes to remain with Niners, open to playing anywhere”
  1. bengalsstillsuck says: Mar 6, 2013 11:44 AM

Cleveland Browns sign him

2. jbro3169 says: Mar 6, 2013 11:46 AM

Come on down to the Nattii baby! Would love to have here. WHO DEY!!!

3. mikealstott says: Mar 6, 2013 11:49 AM

Goldson playing next to Mark Barron in pewter and red would be nasty!

No offense Ronde but we need a new and improved FS….

4. cali49er707 says: Mar 6, 2013 11:50 AM

Draft Tyrann Mathieu & trade for Revis.

Sounds good to me!!!

5. bucrightoff says: Mar 6, 2013 11:51 AM

Gotta second the Goldson/Barron pairing. Cross the middle at your own peril with those two

6. nineroutsider says: Mar 6, 2013 11:58 AM

I honestly don’t think he will be back in SF. His coverage skills are flawed and they are looking for a true “fly” safety that can cover the entire field. Plenty of guys on the 9ers can level big hits, but they’d love to find a Merton Hanks type who is a true cover safety. 9er fans might not like to hear it but watch how it plays out. The 9ers need better coverage back there and it isn’t just the CBs getting beat.

7. goldrush36 says: Mar 6, 2013 11:59 AM

Translation: I really hope San Fran overpays me but a cellar dweller is fine as long as someone overpays me 1 0

8. stlunatik says: Mar 6, 2013 12:09 PM

Come to St Louis Pleezzzz. We will build you a new stadium….

9. brownoholic says: Mar 6, 2013 12:15 PM

Come to Cleveland! You can see those Cinci guys twice a season! At least…

10. bigjdve says: Mar 6, 2013 12:21 PM

Players always say this, most are only using it as a tool to try and get the team to pay them more for fear of a fan backlash.

However when it comes to not getting that stupid level of money they want, they are gone like the wind blaming the team but not their greed.

Don’t get me wrong, I would be most likely trying to get as much as I could as well, but it is what it is.

11. baymac408 says: Mar 6, 2013 12:39 PM

12. baymac408 says: Mar 6, 2013 12:39 PM

Man I love having Goldson on our team! He rattles recievers and makes big plays.. Maybe needs work on cover skills but this guy is a big part of our defense! Big part if our team! If he leaves it will be because he’s chasin the dollar.. But if you want a fan base to have your back and you wanna win that ring.. Come back and sign with FRISCO!! As much as I would hate to loose him I know our coaching staff will handle business and replace him with somebody solid… Shout out o all NINER FANS!!! GO NINERS!!

13. cosanostra71 says: Mar 6, 2013 1:06 PM

I have to agree with nineroutsider. I wouldn’t be opposed to him returning but it will have to be at the right price. With so many draft picks this year, we could potentially find a safety that presents better cover skills.

14. truninerfan49 says: Mar 6, 2013 1:12 PM

He wants a contract like Eric Weddle. He will get it, but it won’t be from the Niners. The Niners have other players to extend (Kaepernick, Aldon Smith)

15. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Mar 6, 2013 1:12 PM

No surprise that he likes the Bengals. They’ve been to the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years with a top 10 D every year. They also have the most cap space. These ain’t your Daddy’s Bengals, folks.

16. jamesmbell says: Mar 6, 2013 1:17 PM

Not really how the interview went….Tim Ryan was like “Man, I could see you in Cincinnati. What do you think about that?” – To which gave the politicaly correct answer “Ahhh, aaahhh, I mean, sure I guess. I know some of those guys…” He wants no part of Cincy and you could hear it in his voice and expression level. No one wants to play there IF they can help it.

17. braven4evr says: Mar 6, 2013 1:21 PM

This guy is a hitter. He is going to get paid…big time!!!

18. finer9erfan says: Mar 6, 2013 1:23 PM

@nineroutsider: Can’t agree with you more. Goldson is fun to watch but we gave up too many big plays. Goldson is a better Strong Safety than Free Safety and we have a great SS already.

I believe CJ Spillman can take over this role. He’s a beast on special teams. Haven’t seen much of his coverage skills at FS but his special team coverage, I can’t imagine him being bad.

19. buccaneer4ever says: Mar 6, 2013 1:32 PM

Come to Tampa. You and Barron can have a “Who can hit Steve Smith harder?” competition twice a year.

20. joey49er says: Mar 6, 2013 1:40 PM

One of the hardest hitters in the nfl!! no other safety hits as hard ….good luck goldson but the niners have 15 pics and i cant wait to see who replaces u….. who ever u sign with.. u will be a upgrade… niners superbowl bound 2013!!

21. eyezworld says: Mar 6, 2013 1:56 PM

Pay him. Its been too long since someone was worthy. Restructure later if needed but keep the group together. No learning curve and the whole defense will come into camp 10 steps ahead and ready to take it to another level again. Its nothing like seeing him bring the hammer to offensive players. The niners have done a great job keeping both sides intact, no reason to change that now. Use this time to develope a youngster behind him instead of throwing them in the fire. Chances like these in todays nfl are few and far in between. Keep it going, cause lord knows the past 10+ years and all the player swaps was sickening. Dont start messing with that now. Also bring back D Walker.

22. baymac408 says: Mar 6, 2013 2:12 PM

I agree eyezworld… We do need to keep the Team intact as much as possible!! Definitely like Delanie walker to… He does so much for the team… The little things tht are BIG!! As far as Goldson yes we need him he’s a big part of the team but, he does have to come at a cool price.. That works out for both sides and draft a youngster.. Exciting possibilities this offseason

23. muskyhunter2542 says: Mar 6, 2013 2:16 PM

Green and Gold!!!

24. schmitty2 says: Mar 6, 2013 2:17 PM

If anyone from the Niners defensive backfield should be let go it should be Donte Whitner. The guy is terrible

25. mjkelly77 says: Mar 6, 2013 2:27 PM

truninerfan49 says:Mar 6, 2013 1:12 PM

________________

And I’m sure that hairbough enjoys seeing them extended.

26. mjkelly77 says: Mar 6, 2013 2:34 PM

Go elsewhere, maximize your income, feel appreciated. And thank your Maker that you’re able to leave that crybaby, whining backstabber of a coach.

27. paulz624 says: Mar 6, 2013 2:38 PM

Goldson, expect a phone call from Tom Gamble, the Eagles could use you and it would be nice for you to return the favor to one of the people who helped draft you.

28. myosin10 says: Mar 7, 2013 6:09 PM

Why do all 49er FA’a go to Cincy?

29. redbengalnation says: Mar 8, 2013 4:16 PM

Goldson would be a great fit. Chris Cooker ( all he does is get cooked) definitely not the answer hell anyone besides CC and reggie nelson with his game clinching personal foul hits they both suck. our corners are mediocre at best maybe with the exception of Kirkpatrick and I havent seen enough of him to judge him. We love character issue players so y not go out get Dwan Landry, draft honey badger, and sign goldson well be golden! haha