Last week, the NFL said it will investigate whether teams were asking impermissible questions at the Scouting Combine.
This week, the league said it won’t be saying anything more about the situation.
“We are not commenting on the [Nick] Kasa matter beyond what we said previously,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT by email on Thursday, in reference to the Colorado tight end who said he was asked at the Scouting Combine questions such as, “Do you like girls?“
The league’s position means that the matter will be handled internally and privately. If one or more teams are found to have violated league policy or the law, there will be no press release or other announcement. If discipline is imposed, no one will ever know (barring a leak).
The lack of transparency isn’t surprising. But it stands in stark contrast to last year’s handling of the bounty scandal.
Of course, the league’s transparency regarding the Saints’ practices was selective and incomplete. But some transparency is better than none.
The difference could be that taking public action against bounties shows that the NFL is vigilant about player safety, which influences the jurors who may eventually sit on the concussion lawsuits and which potentially slams the door on future lawsuits from current players. With no litigation pending or likely from players who were asked inappropriate questions at the Scouting Combine, there’s no benefit to be gained from airing out dirty laundry.