Alan Faneca has lost 100 pounds in retirement

alanfaneca

When he was an NFL offensive lineman, Alan Faneca weighed 320 pounds. Two years after retiring, Faneca is down to 220.

The 36-year-old Faneca told FOXSportsArizona.com that he cut way down on his caloric intake as soon as he left the NFL, and as a result he lost weight so rapidly that people were getting worried about him.

People thought I was sick or something because it was coming off me so fast,” Faneca said. “If you didn’t see me for two weeks, I’d look totally different the next time. It was hell on my closet. I couldn’t buy clothes fast enough. They would just hang on me like drapes.”

Faneca said he hopes other NFL offensive linemen will pay attention to the importance of keeping their weight down to their long-term health.

“Most guys should think about it,” he said. “Especially in this new era of the NFL. Big today isn’t necessarily all muscle. You can you be 340, 350 and still move. But that’s not necessarily healthy, and it’s not going to prolong your life, especially when you’re out of football dealing with post-football injuries.”

Tipping the scales at 300-plus pounds is a necessity if you want to be an NFL offensive lineman, but it’s not conducive to a healthy lifestyle after football. Kudos to Faneca for focusing on his long-term health.

Photo via Alan Faneca on Instagram.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Alan Faneca has lost 100 pounds in retirement”
  1. mataug says: Mar 8, 2013 11:09 PM

holy crap, that’s Faneca ???

2. adoombray says: Mar 8, 2013 11:11 PM

wow what an amazing picture. That doesn’t look anything like Faneca. outstanding for him and great post.

3. ranger40 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:13 PM

Cardinals are wondering if he can play QB

4. derekjetersmansion says: Mar 8, 2013 11:13 PM

the picture in the link is even more incredible.

5. raider23mike says: Mar 8, 2013 11:16 PM

He can start at TE now

6. michaelhan91 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:19 PM

nice to read a feel good story for once on PFT

7. jarvis1104 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:21 PM

Wow. Looks nothing like the guy I enjoyed watching play over the years. Congrats

8. tackleberries says: Mar 8, 2013 11:24 PM

What a pro. Even after he retired.

9. andrewproughcfe says: Mar 8, 2013 11:30 PM

Even at 100 pounds lighter, he would still be the best lineman in Pittsburgh by far if they lured him back out of retirement. He would be the best o-lineman they’ve had since …. since Alan Faneca.

Too bad Colbert couldn’t find a few extra bucks to keep him after the 2007 season. Colbert could have started by dumping pretty much anyone from his entire 2007 draft class – Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Bruce Davis, Tony Hills, Dennis Dixon, Mike Humpal and Ryan Mundy.

The Steelers could have used a guard who wasn’t a matador near their own goal line in the Super Bowl against Green Bay in the 2010 season.

10. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:36 PM

Steeler blood run strong in him.

11. thesmartest1 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:54 PM

Did he stop HGH, juice or both?

12. fooath says: Mar 8, 2013 11:55 PM

Yeah, I’m sure calories are the only thing he cut.

13. raynman49 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:58 PM

Like Schlereth, when you stop roids or hgh.

14. modellforprez says: Mar 8, 2013 11:58 PM

Nahbs son my mans n those Lil poopy and Real rel nitty and monte and lil worm and little Jamar have been selling fatasseca crack cocaine and i aint even lying this time. Ehhh loan me a dollar

15. maiphatdong says: Mar 9, 2013 12:10 AM

he actually looks sick in the link pic.

16. ravenator says: Mar 9, 2013 12:11 AM

Even at that weight he’d still be an addition to that porous offensive line.

17. igotgamenj says: Mar 9, 2013 12:13 AM

See what happens when you stop taking the Sauce.

18. winninitall says: Mar 9, 2013 12:18 AM

When I think of Faneca I think of the start of the Jets falling apart.

19. Canyonero says: Mar 9, 2013 12:28 AM

That is awesome. Way to go, Faneca!!

20. dangernearing says: Mar 9, 2013 12:47 AM

Another juice head with Steeler ties.

21. blackngold4life says: Mar 9, 2013 2:17 AM

One of my all time Favorites! LOL “juice head” what a idiot..must be a Ratbird fam

22. trevor123698 says: Mar 9, 2013 3:27 AM

I personally eat a calorie restricted diet with the aim being 1500 calories a day but usually ending up closer to 2000 if not a few extra over 2000. To make age 100 a calorie restricted diet is extremely highly recommended particularly one that has at least a half pound of red meat in it.

23. contract says: Mar 9, 2013 6:45 AM

So he was carrying around 100 lbs of excess fat while playing football? That seems unlikely.

24. kelvinmchale says: Mar 9, 2013 7:44 AM

Things that make you go “Hmmmmmmm.”

25. grogansheroes says: Mar 9, 2013 8:18 AM

An ex Steeler loses 100lbs a year after he leaves football. Things that make you go hmmm.

26. duncanthecat says: Mar 9, 2013 8:31 AM

I’m still trying to figure out how to lose 5 lbs.

My wife tells me it’s either the couch or the beer–one has to go.

Congrats Allan.

27. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 9, 2013 8:53 AM

Mar 9, 2013 12:11 AM
    Even at that weight he’d still be an addition to that porous offensive line.

Pathetically obsessing into the wee hours under the covers with a flash light little man? I won’t email your mom this time but you need your sleep to keep your half wits sharp.

28. wtfchiefs says: Mar 9, 2013 9:45 AM

Good for him! Most of the guys in the NFL now are way overbuilt, their natural bone structure isn’t strong to hold all the extra added weight, good to see Faneca getting to a nice healthy weight. Hopefully he can keep it off, thats the hard part. Good luck!

29. cometkazie says: Mar 9, 2013 10:22 AM

Imagine someone taking responsibility for their own well being and not playing the victim?

Good job, Alan, and Geaux Tigers!

30. laxcoach37 says: Mar 9, 2013 10:31 AM

Kudos to Faneca… but there is money in those Hills, in other words you are looking at the next Slim-Fast or Nutra-Systems Diet Spokesperson.

31. packerslambeau says: Mar 9, 2013 11:48 AM

Really – so a guy loses 100 pounds and it must be because he was on the juice while playing. I guess I was on the juice then too when I took control of my weight. When you change your eating behavior and get off the couch to stop blogging, maybe you too can shed weight. Don’t be a hater for his hard work. Congrats to Faneca.

32. upthegut34 says: Mar 9, 2013 12:01 PM

This is not unheard of and in no way is solely indicative of steroid use.

I’ve met a couple of guys like this who played 10+ years in the NFL. One played center, the other defensive tackle. Within a year, the DT had shed 95 pounds and the center 85.

Both of them said the same thing; once their NFL careers were over, they didn’t want or need to carry that weight anymore. So they got down to where they ‘should’ be. And both felt great afterwards.

Remember, most of these spent years bulking up through high school/college and maintaining it in the pros. You read the bios of these top draft prospects and can see the progression in weight.

33. Nofoolnodrool says: Mar 9, 2013 12:01 PM

Great post and couldn’t agree more. There are way too many Doritos munching keyboard warriors on hear that are quick with lip but are slow off the couch but first to the table….

34. scoobies05 says: Mar 9, 2013 1:48 PM

and congrats to you as well packerslambeau

35. phillysteve says: Mar 11, 2013 10:28 PM

This story re: Alan Faneca’s weight loss reminds me of Jon Kolb, another great –although unheralded– Steelers offensive lineman who dropped lots of weight after retirement from the gridiron.