Moore gets seven more reps in the bench press

Moore Getty Images

Last month, Texas A&M linebacker/defensive end Damontre Moore managed a pedestrian 12 reps in the 225-pound bench press at the Scouting Combine.

It was the lowest number for all defensive linemen who worked out at the Combine.

Today, he pumped out seven more, for a new total of 19.  Which would has been third fewest at the Scouting Combine.

Still, as Warren Sapp always says (and we don’t agree with him on a lot of things but we agree on this one), there’s no weight bench on a football field.  If a guy can play, he can play.

In Moore’s case, all we know from today’s bench-press performance is that he increased his output in two weeks by more than 58 percent.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Moore gets seven more reps in the bench press”
  1. steeelfann says: Mar 8, 2013 10:24 AM

What bout dat sorry 40 time?

2. mogogo1 says: Mar 8, 2013 10:25 AM

Not totally impossible, I suppose, if he had a muscle pull that healed or if he’d cut a bunch of weight right before the combine for the weigh-in. But it certainly does make you wonder… Anybody else out there wishing they could see gains in the weight room that quickly?

3. eatitfanboy says: Mar 8, 2013 10:26 AM

There may not be a weight bench, but there are alot of very strong offensive lineman who will put you on your keester.

Brute strength isn’t everything, but I sure would prefer my D-linemen be stronger than my punter.

4. ccjcsr says: Mar 8, 2013 10:28 AM

Shows committment and decication to get better, All I needed to see there, on to the next prospect!

5. dalucks says: Mar 8, 2013 10:29 AM

It is ok. Once he gets by the left tackle then he should have enough momentum to knock down the quarterback.

6. tigerhawkeye says: Mar 8, 2013 10:39 AM

I’ve never understood the Combine’s obsession with the bench press. Short of being on your back at the bottom of a dogpile, I can’t think of a single situation in football that is replicated by the bench press. If you’re a lineman/FB, I want to see the ability to generate force with your legs, as exemplified by the squat or deadlift. If you’re a LB/CB/WR, I want to see that force exerted very quickly, as exemplified by the clean. But the horizontal press? The bench press only exists so that amateur lifters who don’t know any other lifts have something to boast about to their friends.

7. yungbull2012 says: Mar 8, 2013 10:43 AM

Good to hear, looking forward to hearing about his 4.4 unofficial 40 time…

8. comatrip1 says: Mar 8, 2013 10:59 AM

I can actually bench that 19 times. I’ll be able to claim I am as strong as an NFL defensive lineman in a couple months. :)

Shut up! Give me my moment!

9. thraiderskin says: Mar 8, 2013 11:00 AM

Nerves man, that stuff happens.

10. brutus3413 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:05 AM

12 reps at 225? I could do that coming out of college… and I was in the band!

11. micknangold says: Mar 8, 2013 11:10 AM

I’m pretty sure Damontre Moore is stronger than every punter in the NFL. He might not be a gym rat, but raw strength? Definitely.

12. indywilson40 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:24 AM

Suspicious.

13. steelfan1 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:28 AM

the man is a rookie. Now that football is his full time job, he can hit the weight room and get stronger. non issue to me.

14. vaphinfan says: Mar 8, 2013 11:31 AM

You can be the biggest baddest S.O.B. out there but if your guy gets lower than you your going for a ride.

15. fukpittsburgh says: Mar 8, 2013 11:32 AM

I can has more bench reps?

16. EJ says: Mar 8, 2013 11:42 AM

He is still real young. Plenty of time to lift weights and train when its your job. I see a talented Defensive player.

17. delmonte55 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:59 AM

Breaking news….Sapp is not concerned if you agree with him.

18. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 8, 2013 12:09 PM

I think Pierre-Paul did 19 reps and he was 20 pounds heavier than Moore. Damontre has really long arms for his weight, 35″ I think. How come no one getting on Mingo or Jordan or Jones for their bench press? Those guys all did 0.

19. vtdcfan says: Mar 9, 2013 12:09 AM

Tigerhawkeye has it right. Not to mention the all time leaders in the bench press generally don’t make it far in the nfl. A great exercise but doesn’t usually translate to production