Osi wants to win games, and player of the year honors

Osi Umenyiora AP

Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora is hours away from listening to offers in free agency for the first time.

But he has high expectations for the process, and himself.

Umenyiora said he was looking for a team that could win, where he could be the best defensive player in the league.

“It wouldn’t have to be a playoff team,” Umenyiora told the NFL Network, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “It could be anybody pretty much anybody who would need me to help them win, and anybody who I think is going to put me in a situation to win Defensive Player of the Year, which is what I’m going to do this year.”

Oh, if that’s all it takes.

Umenyiora insisted there was a chance he returns to the Giants, though that seems unlikely at this point, with several playoff ready teams looking for pass-rushers.

Umenyiora called the process, which begins tonight with an 87-hour negotiating period, “a little strange.”

“My phone is on. I’m not turning my phone off. I’m open to pretty much every situation right now,” Umenyiora said. “I’d like to go to a situation where I’d be able to win. Everybody likes to say that, but I really mean that. Wherever puts me in the best situation to really go out there and showcase my skills and help them win, I think that’s where I want to go.”

He’s done that in New York, but he finally has a platform to see if someone else thinks he can be the player of the year, considering the Giants don’t view him as a starter any longer.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Osi wants to win games, and player of the year honors”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 8, 2013 8:13 PM

Simple answer Osi…the Washington Redskins. Sign low and win big. This is a real franchise, best front 7 in the NFC East hands down. The choice is yours.

2. drewfl says: Mar 8, 2013 8:17 PM

He’s a situational pass rusher because he sucks against the run and is TERRIBLE against the option.

3. ranoversquarells says: Mar 8, 2013 8:19 PM

Pains me to say it, but I’d be interested in seeing him in a Patriots uniform …

4. bigks77 says: Mar 8, 2013 8:20 PM

He’d look good in purple and gold on other side of Jarred Allen He’s a winner and that’s what we need!

5. Iknoweverything says: Mar 8, 2013 8:24 PM

Osi, if you want to win, go to Seattle.
    If you want another championship, go to Seattle.
    If want multiple titles, go to Seattle.

They have the best Head Coach in the NFC, the best QB in the NFC, best defense in the NFC, best fans, and best CB.

BUT………………..you will not win DPOY if you go to the Seahawks. That honor, rightfully belongs to Mr. Richard Sherman

6. sclazo says: Mar 8, 2013 8:26 PM

Come down to Miami and play with Wake!

7. dolphincult says: Mar 8, 2013 8:47 PM

Buyer beware.

8. ravensfan19 says: Mar 8, 2013 9:08 PM

Seahawks fans talk alot of Crap for team who hasn’t ever Won Anything.

9. gochargersgo says: Mar 8, 2013 9:18 PM

Situational pass rusher who gets washed against the run wants to win DPOY? Slow down speed racer.

10. wave222 says: Mar 8, 2013 9:19 PM

Osi stays with “The New York Football Giants”

11. sasquatch6968 says: Mar 8, 2013 9:50 PM

Osi, please go to the Redskins the team that finished first last year will finish last this year. I love skins fans worst ever….LMAO

12. DonRSD says: Mar 8, 2013 10:23 PM

I dont think this guy is going to get paid at all.

I’d rather have Freeney.
    Osi is a 1 trick pony, a good 1 trick pony at his specialty.

Problem is he just sucks on running downs.

GO BIG BLUE!!!

13. jollygreengiant060 says: Mar 8, 2013 10:25 PM

Hawks give him the best chance, pair him with Irvin, red Bryant and the rest of the d line and it’s go time.

14. east96st says: Mar 8, 2013 10:26 PM

My phone is on, too. I willing to go to anybody who I think is going to put me in a situation to divorce my wife, have Gisele divorce Tom, and have me marry Gisele and live a life of luxury enjoying her millions. Me & Osi have the same chance of having our dreams come true – absolute f’ing zero.

15. jollygreengiant060 says: Mar 8, 2013 10:27 PM

@ravensfan19 we beat your pansy asses so we can talk all we want, if like to see the ravens go toe to toe with the hawks now

16. crunation says: Mar 8, 2013 10:35 PM

If the rumors have any merit… i could see osi as a good fit in tennessee.

17. bradyisbest says: Mar 8, 2013 10:53 PM

clown

18. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 8, 2013 11:01 PM

You never want to be known as that one-dimensional player.

19. dadsource says: Mar 8, 2013 11:17 PM

Osi, PUH-LEASE come to Jacksonville! You would instantly be the biggest name in town, you would lead the team in sacks (shoot, I almost did not playing this past year), you’d have a great tax-free area to live in, no one would hassle you, and the place would go nuts for your star power.

Say what you will about Osi, he brings it and if used properly will dominate here. Vet leadership, a good example off the field, man- what’s not to love!

20. nfl4days says: Mar 8, 2013 11:45 PM

Pete Carroll the best coach in the NFC??? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Hes not even the best head coach is his own division!

21. sweetnlow44 says: Mar 9, 2013 12:39 AM

Seahawks need a pass rusher. It’s doubtful Clemons returns to his old self after the ACL injury (thanks, FedEx Field!). But Osi doesn’t seem like a guy Schneider and Carroll typically target. They’re more likely to find an overlooked stud DE in the 5th round who will be all pro his 2nd year in the league.

Besides, the Seahawks are in more need of an interior pass rush than anything anyway.

22. censoredagain says: Mar 9, 2013 8:42 AM

dadsource says: Mar 8, 2013 11:17 PM

How do you ‘misuse’ a pass rusher? Osi, outside of running a straight line at the QB, is a huge liability. He will never again dominate because he is worn down, has no lane discipline, couldn’t tackle a RB if his life depended on it, and he certainly doesn’t ‘bring it’ on every play.

I’m a lifelong Giants fan. Believe me….I know what he can do, and what he wont do.

23. nfl4days says: Mar 9, 2013 9:54 AM

NFL players get screwed over more than anyone else in sports. Anquan Boldin and Jacoby jones took over the superbowl and they get absolutely no credit, while joe flacco gets a big fat contract. Most of salary caps are gonna go to QBs, But the greedy owners in the nfl arent gonna raise the salary cap, so the obvious solution is for everyone else to take a pay cut or be cut. Its gonna get to the point where if you want a CHANCE to win a championship you better expect to be very underpaid and be cut as soon as you show a HINT of slowing down, or you can get paid well by a cellar dweller.

24. greatestgamensports says: Mar 9, 2013 11:27 AM

Osi is washed up! Can’t stop the run if his life depended on it. Please stay with the giants.
    Signed, NFC EAST

25. salventuri says: Mar 11, 2013 12:14 PM

He might be surprised what little interest there is for his services.