Skip to content

Browns reportedly interested in Antoine Cason

cason ap AP

The Browns have a very skilled (and quite confident) cornerback in Joe Haden, but the matter of whom will start opposite of Haden next season is unresolved. Sheldon Brown, who’s started 46 games in the last three campaigns for Cleveland, can sign elsewhere starting Tuesday.

So too can Chargers cornerback Antoine Cason, whom the Browns have inquired about, according to multiple reports. According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns, Lions and Chargers have been linked to Cason. Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal reported Cleveland had been in touch with Cason’s representation, something the Orange and Brown Report reported early Saturday morning (via Ulrich, Cabot and the OBR’s Fred Greetham).

The 26-year-old Cason has 11 interceptions in five NFL seasons. He has never missed an NFL game, and he has started at least 14 games in each of the last three seasons.

Cason is ranked No. 51 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100. He is one of 17 unsigned cornerbacks on the list.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Browns reportedly interested in Antoine Cason”
  1. nzaz says: Mar 9, 2013 10:43 PM

    They can have him. He’s a 90’s cb ( to small and slow to be a WR), and he has an aversion to playing the run. A consistent Sean Smith is the model of a modern CB I wish the Chargers had.

  2. sdcameron says: Mar 9, 2013 11:24 PM

    Good. Stay out of SD, Cason is awful.

  3. grantgoodman93 says: Mar 10, 2013 12:33 AM

    This would be a really good signing

  4. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 10, 2013 8:17 AM

    Browns! You make me laugh!

  5. paulnoga says: Mar 10, 2013 9:39 AM

    Cason is not perfect, but is a descent CB. He is better than any CB the Chargers currently have on their roster, and one of the healthiest on the team. Jammer is a free agent and way over 30. Who are the CBs the Chargers going to stick out there this year?
    No one with anyexperience on the current team. Plus the Chargers won’t pay for a good, experienced one.
    Things are going to get much worse, if that is possible.

  6. MTLighthouse69 says: Mar 10, 2013 10:28 AM

    Put Cason on the right defense and he will be a stud. It wouldn’t be the first time that the Chargers have let someone go, only to find out later on that the player wasn’t the problem, that the scheme he was playing in was.

  7. paulnoga says: Mar 10, 2013 5:55 PM

    The Spanos family want to run the Chargers as a personal dynasty. Unfortunately, they are running it into the ground.

  8. nzaz says: Mar 11, 2013 1:16 AM

    All you guys who are saying the Chargers suck in spite of Cason have no idea what you are talking about. He was one of the biggest weaknesses on the defense. Who do we have to replace him?Marcus Gilchrist, a hard hitting corner who in his third year will be an instant upgrade. Also we have Shareece Wright who, while being small, is incredibly aggressive and fast. I like Jammer as a saftey and a coue more guys to come on and full the unit out. I also love how all these people say the Chargers suck, 7-9 was our worst record in 10 years. Sure we frigged up when we had a shot to win it all but the last thing I want to see is a Browns or Lions fan calling SD out. Give me a break.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!