Skip to content

Report: No high tender expected for Danario Alexander

Danario Alexander, Antonio Cromartie AP

The Chargers are not expected to tender wide receiver Danario Alexander at the first- or second-round level in restricted free agency, Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com reported Saturday morning. Instead, it’s likely they will give him the lowest RFA tender, Caplan reported.

The 6-foot-5, 212-pound Alexander was an exceptional in-season addition for San Diego in 2012, catching 37 passes for 658 yards and seven TDs in just 10 games for the Chargers. He ranks No. 57 in PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents in the Class of 2013.

It is unclear why the Chargers apparently won’t give Alexander a higher RFA tender. He has had a history of left knee issues (though, it should be noted, he didn’t miss a game for San Diego in 2012).

An undrafted free agent in 2010, Alexander would have to be tendered at the first- or second-round level for the Chargers to receive any draft-pick compensation were he to sign an offer sheet that they declined to match. A high tender might also have dampened the market for Alexander, considering the value of draft choices. However, that hurdle doesn’t appear to be in place. The question now is whether a team makes Alexander an offer.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
18 Responses to “Report: No high tender expected for Danario Alexander”
  1. boltfansmith says: Mar 9, 2013 11:36 AM

    Pay the man he was the best receiver we had last season!!!!

  2. Pimpin' aint easy unless you are Chuck Norris says: Mar 9, 2013 11:38 AM

    Dear danario,

    Do you like me like me? Check yes or no

    Yes ___
    No ___

    Sincerely,
    Tom Brady

  3. jbvikes says: Mar 9, 2013 11:39 AM

    The Vikes should go after him. We only need about 4 new receivers – at least.

  4. 619sdfan4life says: Mar 9, 2013 11:41 AM

    Are we sure AJ Smith is gone, I don’t understand the issue here he produced more in 10 games then any if our WRs, including the multi year Meachum. Telesco this is one of the guys I was hoping you’d make the right call on. For God sakes he is 6’5 and can catch. Reminds me of the other 6’5 guy that we let go to Tampa. AJ smith is still leaving his mark on this team.

  5. papacrick says: Mar 9, 2013 11:50 AM

    Welcome to Detroit Denario!

  6. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 9, 2013 11:55 AM

    come to Indy for a low price, Luck can make u into a well respected player!!

  7. 619sdfan4life says: Mar 9, 2013 11:55 AM

    Good to know that signing our long snapper was more of a priority then a starting WR. Tom telesco 0 – AJ Smith 1

  8. stlunatik says: Mar 9, 2013 11:59 AM

    Great receiver! The two catches he’d make every year in STL were of the highest quality. Good luck DA.

  9. thevikes14 says: Mar 9, 2013 12:04 PM

    Vikes should pass on Jennings and Wallace. Go after Alexander, he ll be more affordable and load up on Harvin. We keep one of the most dangerous players in the game and then we can still draft a WR early….I rather have Harvin than Wallace n Jennings n feel like we get one of them and Harvin is gone.

  10. gochargersgo says: Mar 9, 2013 12:36 PM

    WTF were they thinking?

  11. uwsptke says: Mar 9, 2013 12:46 PM

    I guess we’ll find out if any collusion exists amongst the owners.

    But they still have right of first refusal. It’s a calculated risk, but chances are still very high that he stays a Charger, depending on their cap situation.

  12. der6495 says: Mar 9, 2013 12:47 PM

    6’5″ and averages nearly 17 yards per catch in his career. EVERY team should be interested.

  13. icanspeel says: Mar 9, 2013 12:50 PM

    It doesn’t mean the Chargers won’t try to re-sign him, but if he wants or gets offered too much they are practically giving him away.

  14. markoh80 says: Mar 9, 2013 12:53 PM

    Was Alexander productive for the Chargers last year? Yes. But Telesco and McCoy are still figuring out what they have inherited and what they really need. I don’t know what kind of money Alexander is looking at with a 1st or 2nd tender, but maybe the Chargers are trying to be cautious and not give a big contract to a guy who only played 10 games and has a history of a knee injury. Maybe it’s time to stop awarding big contracts for immediate success and even limited success. AJ Smith gave out extensions to unproven players like they were Pez.

  15. cullimon says: Mar 9, 2013 12:58 PM

    Looks like the lions have a new #2 WR

  16. stlrams908 says: Mar 9, 2013 2:45 PM

    Stl bring him backkkk. He’s healthy. Stl didn’t want to cut him before but they had players that needed a shot

    . Now we only have 3 WRs on the roster. Sam loves the guy

  17. joeychargers says: Mar 9, 2013 3:09 PM

    Are we sure they fired A.J Smith?? Cause this sure sounds a lot like the old San Diego we all know so well… Letting great talent go.

  18. pacificnw7722 says: Mar 9, 2013 3:22 PM

    The 6-foot-5, 212-pound Alexander will be a Seahawk, book it!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!