Bengals re-sign Mike Nugent

Mike+Nugent+Baltimore+Ravens+v+Cincinnati+uUuocRX5QdVl Getty Images

Mike Nugent will remain the Bengals’ kicker.

Nugent, who was slated to become an unrestricted free agent on Tuesday, has re-signed with Cincinnati, according to the team’s website.

Last season Nugent made 19 of his 23 field goal attempts, with a long of 55 yards, and had 21 touchbacks on 65 kickoffs. Nugent ended the season on injured reserve with a calf injury, and Josh Brown kicked very well in Nugent’s absence. That led to some talk that the Bengals would let Nugent walk and bring back Brown as their kicker in 2013.

But instead it’s Brown who will walk, and Nugent who will kick for the Bengals this season.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Bengals re-sign Mike Nugent”
  1. Sackville Rc says: Mar 10, 2013 1:34 PM

I like this move. I hope Nugent can stay healty

2. ridnaway says: Mar 10, 2013 2:14 PM

This is 100% about Mike Brown’s loyalty to Ohio State football and 0% about performance. Anyone remember Craig Krenzel?

3. theroc5156 says: Mar 10, 2013 3:08 PM

As a Bengal fan, I wish Josh Brown well. He was absolutely clutch for us. I agree about the Ohio State angle; I think Mike Brown over-values his OSU players.

4. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Mar 10, 2013 3:08 PM

Josh Brown is the better kicker, and isn’t made of glass. Oh well. Hopefully Nuge can stay healthy, but I won’t hold my breath.

5. genericcommenter says: Mar 10, 2013 3:27 PM

Yes, a proven NFL kicker who was a high draft pick and has played 8 years in the league and a short-lived backup QB are exactly the same because they both went to OSU.

6. patfanken says: Mar 10, 2013 4:17 PM

Just another in a long line of players who have found success….. AFTER leaving the Jets.

7. brums21 says: Mar 10, 2013 4:43 PM

As a Bengals fan I would have liked to keep Josh Brown. He was great for us.

8. stevincinci says: Mar 11, 2013 10:46 AM

I’m glad they kept Nugent. Josh Brown did what he was paid to do, but Nugent would have been just as good down the stretch if he wouldn’t have gotten injured.