Death of aunt and uncle spur Delanie Walker to action on drunk driving

Super Bowl XLVII - Baltimore Ravens v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Shortly after the 49ers lost the Super Bowl, tight end Delanie Walker learned that his aunt and uncle had been killed on a highway near New Orleans by a driver who was allegedly driving drunk.

Walker, who is set to become a free agent on Tuesday, said that he forgot all about the pain of the loss when he heard that Alice and Bryan Young had lost their lives but he certainly hasn’t forgotten about them. Walker hosted a dinner event where he signed memorabilia with portions of the proceeds going to Mothers Against Drunk Driving and he will take part in a MADD walk in May to further spread the message of the dangers of driving under the influence.

“I just want to open up people’s eyes,” Walker said, via the San Francisco Chronicle. “It’s never the person that’s drinking and driving that gets hurt. It’s always the person that’s doing the right thing and trying to get home and mind their business. This happens so much and now it’s really hit home for me. I just want to make people more aware through my story.”

Let’s hope Walker decides to spread his message to his peers in the NFL. There’s far too many players arrested for DUI and far too many lives put at risk by those that keep doing it because they haven’t been arrested, which makes them a perfect group to hear from Walker in the future.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
10 Responses to “Death of aunt and uncle spur Delanie Walker to action on drunk driving”
  1. trojanwarrior007 says: Mar 10, 2013 1:04 PM

good for Walker. NFL players with DUIs seem to be swept under the rug.

2. raidingtexas says: Mar 10, 2013 1:06 PM

I applaud Delanie for taking up this cause. But it’s inaccurate to say: “It’s never the person that’s drinking and driving that gets hurt.” That’s a media-perpetuated myth.

Drunk drivers quite often do die. The story of the drunk who slams into a tree killing only himself never gets reported on the news.

3. thevegas says: Mar 10, 2013 1:13 PM

Back in October of 2012, I was driving home from the bar, very intoxicated, when I’m pretty sure I fell asleep at the wheel, veered off the side of the road, and flipped my car into a pole. The car was totaled and I was told the seat belt I had on is what essentially saved my life. I was extremely, extremely lucky in that I walked away without a scratch on me and no one else was involved in the accident. It still shakes me up to this day. I was given a second chance and I don’t know why.

I clearly made one of the dumbest mistakes of my life that night. I think about the fact that I very easily could have injured or killed someone else and that thought is absolutely terrifying. I was lucky that night. People like Mr. Walker’s aunt and uncle, they weren’t. All because of a stupid decision that driver made that night.

This is all VERY preventable. While I know I messed up big time that night, I wouldn’t take it back, because I certainly learned my lesson. It’s a shame that many others out there don’t. There’s no reason for a DUI, folks. None. You never think it will happen to you…until it does. All it takes is one night. Get a DD people. Or call a cab. Inconveniencing yourself or spending 20 bucks for a ride home is much more preferable than putting your life, and other lives, at risk.

4. larryboodry says: Mar 10, 2013 1:14 PM

Sad about his aunt and uncle…And yeah, here’s hoping some of his peers get the message.

5. delions00 says: Mar 10, 2013 1:27 PM

People need to wake up. If law enforcement really wanted to stop drink driving, they would install an ignition interlock device leon every car coming out of the factory. They don’t because drink driving is the cash cow of the court system.

Thinking that law enforcement gives a damn about stopping drunk driving is plain ignorant.

6. skeebo80 says: Mar 10, 2013 1:29 PM

How unfortunate. People just don’t get it.

7. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 10, 2013 2:10 PM

Sounds great and I applaud him, I came pretty close to dying just yesterday from an apparently drunk driver that almost took me off the road. I was playing a game of inches driving my car out on the freeway and I got lucky and won and here I am today!

8. mack408 says: Mar 10, 2013 3:02 PM

He must of just changes his ways ..because ive seen D.Walker multiple times at Warriors games & the clubs in S.J steady drinkin !! keep it a hunnit !!

9. forty9asty says: Mar 10, 2013 4:09 PM

Hey, mack…huh?

10. oddte says: Mar 10, 2013 5:34 PM

Delionso is right. If we want to get serious about stopping DUI we have to start locking people up and not fining them for a first offense. I know way too many people who have been busted for a DUI that paid a fine, attended a few classes and went on doing it. The current system isn’t effective at stopping DUI, its effective ant making money for the courts.