Chris Gamble decides to retire after nine seasons

Chris Gamble AP

Even in a market flooded with veteran cornerbacks, former Panthers first-round pick Chris Gamble figured to draw plenty of interest.

But Gamble’s apparently not interested.

His agent, Carl Poston, told ESPN’s Josina Anderson that Gamble decided to retire rather than enter the market.

“A number of teams have expressed interest in Chris Gamble,” Poston said. “However, Chris informed me last night that he wants to retire. Even though he still loves football, he told me that he’s decided to focus on life after football. Chris has been a class act. I have represented him for nine years, ever since he came out of Ohio State. He’s been an ideal client and he was one of the best corners in game.

“He’s doing it the right way. He has taken care of his money and his investments to retire successfully, and now I wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

He spent nine years in the league, all with the Panthers, and owns the franchise’s career interception record. He was plagued by injuries the last two seasons, but was a solid cover player.

He was also an extremely private and quiet player, who never left much of a footprint in Charlotte despite spending his entire career there and playing well.

And now, he’s slipping quietly into retirement as well.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Chris Gamble decides to retire after nine seasons”
  1. vexey says: Mar 11, 2013 11:49 AM

I loved him here in Charlotte, and I’m glad he’s going out on his terms. A real class act.

2. hutch119 says: Mar 11, 2013 11:50 AM

Weird. I don’t think he is even 30 yet.

3. Zach Younkin says: Mar 11, 2013 11:53 AM

Well, there goes one player off my Steelers wish list…

4. pilot2011 says: Mar 11, 2013 11:56 AM

wow, I didn’t see this coming, but I can say I’m not that surprised. Gamble was such a quiet, humble guy, and incredibly underrated.

Being matched up with Steve Smith everyday would make me want to retire early too.

Good luck Chris, class act.

5. bengalsstillsuck says: Mar 11, 2013 11:57 AM

I watched this kid all through college because im a OSU fan and crazy how time flies now that his career is over after 9 yrs.

6. clarencewhorley says: Mar 11, 2013 12:08 PM

I am glad he has enough money to retire and wish him well in the future. I wanted the Patriots to bring him into camp but I guess that was not to be.

7. southcakpanther says: Mar 11, 2013 12:17 PM

Kind of wish he would have retired before we cut him. I believe that would have take the entire $11 million hit off the cap space books. Instead we only saved $7.9 mil. Whatever, thanks for the memories Chris.

8. csilojohnson says: Mar 11, 2013 12:18 PM

That’s the way to do it. Its a shame this is not the norm. Especially when a lot of these his could achieve that after one or two seasons. Yet we continually hear about players going bankrupt.
    Bravo Gamble

9. lightcleric says: Mar 11, 2013 12:24 PM

Gotta respect the guy for being able to walk away and having kept his finances in order too. 30 years old, lots of money, and body intact, he can do whatever he wants. Good luck to him!

10. weekendatberniemadoffs says: Mar 11, 2013 12:25 PM

I don’t think he ever made a Pro Bowl, but he was a quality db and did everything the right way.

11. conner87 says: Mar 11, 2013 12:32 PM

Damn, I really wanted the Lions to make a play for him. Best of Luck in retirement Chris!

12. thegregwitul says: Mar 11, 2013 12:39 PM

Wow, where does the time go? I remember watching Gamble in college. As a Bucs fan, Gamble was always a tough matchup when healthy. He’s a class act and I wish him well in retirement.

13. bullethead527 says: Mar 11, 2013 12:40 PM

I think today is Chris Gamble’s Bday- he turns 30 today….

14. lonespeed says: Mar 11, 2013 12:45 PM

He (and many others in their prime) could probably save his body and stay in top shape until week 8 or 9, pick a team with high hopes of making a run in the playoffs, and get paid the same amount as if he was there day 1 for a one-year contract; rinse and repeat.

Honestly, I don’t know why more players don’t do exactly that. If they are financially secure, what’s the risk? No one comes calling? That’s unlikely when a key person goes down on a team 8 – 2 or 7 – 3.

They can save their body, come in at the end of the season when everyone is beat up and they are fresh, and always pick a contender.

15. blacknole08 says: Mar 11, 2013 12:48 PM

Wow I’m shocked! I respect his decision. Thanks for nine good years Chris and helping us get to the SB in 2003. We will miss you!

16. bigks77 says: Mar 11, 2013 12:50 PM

Good for him! Best of luck!!!

17. jlv3gem says: Mar 11, 2013 12:50 PM

I really like Chris Gamble and this is rather surprising to me. I guess with the injuries he’s dealt with lately he’s probably making the right move. This guy is a prime example of what type of person you want within your organization.

Above average player with playmaking ability, great character an great smarts.

Enjoy the rest!

18. blacknole08 says: Mar 11, 2013 12:51 PM

My bad he wasn’t a member of that SB team. Still though congrats and you will always be a Panther!

19. totallyuselessme says: Mar 11, 2013 12:51 PM

Gamble would have been a pro bowler in a bigger market on a better team. He was an extremely good corner for many years.

Good luck, Chris.

20. steeelfann says: Mar 11, 2013 12:52 PM

Question: What is an acronym for “T.O”?

21. ahawkalypse says: Mar 11, 2013 12:54 PM

I hope he doesn’t look back someday and wish he had the 20+ million he’s leaving on the table. Corners the best position to play as far as $$ and injury risk.

22. CKL says: Mar 11, 2013 12:54 PM

I was gonna say blacknole08, you usually know your stuff. :D

Kudos to Gamble for being a good citizen, a solid player and not a typical trash talking fool one sees at that position. Also for having his money saved so he could go out on his terms.

23. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 11, 2013 12:59 PM

Kudos on a great career, but even bigger props for being 30 and financially sound enough to retire. Your family must be proud.

24. asimonetti88 says: Mar 11, 2013 1:03 PM

Crazy to think Gamble has been in the NFL for 9 years! Seems like just yesterday he was a rookie. I always thought he was an underrated player, and glad to hear he is ready for post-football life.

25. kepickle says: Mar 11, 2013 1:06 PM

well if i was him i wouldn’t But than he know whats best for him & his Family so I respect that & If he choice to come back & play for 1 more yr at vet min. I’l respect that to

26. moeman79 says: Mar 11, 2013 1:11 PM

great for him, maybe he can write a book or teach a class to some of these other morons who spend all there millions as fast as they get it.

27. Stiller43 says: Mar 11, 2013 1:55 PM

Thats awesome hes walking away so early and on his own terms. Being responsible with his money, he can enjoy about 50 years of very wealthy retirement. Congrats

28. buckyturgidson says: Mar 11, 2013 3:07 PM

Pulled a Robert Smith, smart move.

29. usap1 says: Mar 11, 2013 6:47 PM

I remember Gamble’s last game at OSU (National Championship game). After playing soft during the 2nd half, he actually admitted to the media something that I’ve never heard a player admit. He said, “my advisors have been telling me to protect myself because the NFL draft is only 2 months away … so that’s all I could think about during the entire 4th quarter … so, instead of playing hard, I was just out there protecting myself from injury”.
    Yes, he was 100% honest about it, but he should have taken himself off the field and allowed a HUNGRY player to get out there and play HARD. His actions hurt his team and dishonored his school. Whenever I hear his name, this is what I remember about Chris Gamble. I guess he gets a few points for his honesty, but he should not have walked out on the field if he was go to play paddy-cake like he did in the 2nd half of a Championship game. Not cool.