The Bears got quarterback Jay Cutler a new left tackle and a new tight end on Tuesday, a pair of additions that are enough for Cutler right now.
During an interview on ESPN 100 in Chicago, Cutler said that he is excited about the additions of Jermon Bushrod and Martellus Bennett before discussion turned to the fact that his contract expires after the 2013 season. Cutler said that he feels like he has enough on his plate to keep him occupied without thinking about an extension he doesn’t expect to get before the Bears get back on the field.
“Yeah, I think that’s probably the way we’re headed,” Cutler said. “We haven’t really talked about anything. We’re upgrading in certain positions and I don’t think we’re really in position to do my deal. But like I said, [general manager Phil Emery] has a plan worked out, so we’ll just have to see what happens. But I’m perfectly comfortable in the situation I’m in, and if we go into it with just this last year, then so be it. I’ll play it out and we’ll see what happens at the end of the year.”
This approach worked out well for Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco in 2012. The upgrades that the Bears have already made to their offense bode well for Cutler’s chances of making lightning strike twice and the team still has time to do more to help put their quarterback in the best possible position to succeed.