Kruger says Saints pursued him, Ravens didn’t

Kruger AP

Newly-minted Browns linebacker Paul Kruger joined Pro Football Talk on Wednesday to talk about the pro football teams that wanted him, among other things.

Obviously, the Browns did.  “There was a lot of excitement from the Browns’ end and I was equally as excited, and so it was a matter of just making it happen,” Kruger said.  “One of the big selling points to me was being a part of something that’s up and coming and a young team and something that we can build from.”

So who came in second?

“It was the Saints and a couple teams,” Kruger said, adding that the Ravens weren’t in the hunt.  But he’s not upset about that.

“I had a great experience in Baltimore, I really did,” Kruger said.  “And they gave me great opportunities so I have nothing but good things to say about that group. I love the coaches, you know I had brotherhoods formed there, it just didn’t work out and that’s the way it works out sometimes.”

It’s now working out for Kruger in Cleveland.  And Browns fans surely are thrilled, especially since the Browns essentially have taken back a piece of the team that used to wear the colors Kruger will don.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Kruger says Saints pursued him, Ravens didn’t”
  1. blackngold4life says: Mar 13, 2013 7:15 PM

Soooo…the Saint wanted him and he picks the Browns?? had to be the money!

2. gotampabay52 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:19 PM

Who Dey not wanting to to play for us Who Dat nation so in english that means no one want to play for your team

3. causeisaid says: Mar 13, 2013 7:23 PM

I guess its done then. Baltimore gets a football team and two rings. Cleveland gets Paul Kruger. “Browns fans are surely thrilled”

Yeah…I’m sure….

4. kane337 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:25 PM

LOL the Saints had no cap room to sign him.

5. catquick says: Mar 13, 2013 7:25 PM

Why? Who wants to live in NO?

6. randallflagg52 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:26 PM

Paul Kruger started something like 7 games in 4 years, of course the Ravens didn’t pursue him. Courtney Upshaw may not be as good of a speed rusher but he’s a much better all around player, which is why he started the Super Bowl over Kruger.

Good luck in the Cleve Paul, but you shouldn’t be surprised the Ravens let you walk.

7. gbmickey says: Mar 13, 2013 7:28 PM

Blackngold he said up and coming team not a declining team.

8. stillers213 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:29 PM

I knew the Jacco contract was the beginning of the end for this team. I just didn’t think it would happen so quickly! I hope Ravens’ fans enjoyed their last ride for a while.

9. rollteal says: Mar 13, 2013 7:31 PM

Cleveland seems to be turning some stuff around up there. Good for them.

10. ravenator says: Mar 13, 2013 7:42 PM

You couldn’t of picked a better up and coming team Kruger. When you’re consistently in last place in the division, where else is there to go? In all seriousness though I do wish him well, just not when playing the Ravens.

11. believeland1954 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:44 PM

Isn’t it always?

12. saintsfan71 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:55 PM

I don’t think the Saints could match the money the Browns were throwing at Kruger.

13. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Mar 13, 2013 7:58 PM

The Browns are definitely an up-and-comer. They have the youngest team in the league and the 2nd most money to spend in the league. Drafted 1st-round RB and QB last year, Joe Haden is one of the best corners in the league, Joe Thomas is an all-pro every year… just picked up Kruger and the TE from Oakland. Going to have a relatively high draft pick too.

Browns are gonna be surprising some people. I think they are finally on the right track.

14. vincentbojackson says: Mar 13, 2013 7:59 PM

I think Ozzie forgot to charge his cell phone yesterday. How else do you explain him sitting on the first year cap savings Flacco’s deal gave him? What’s he going to do over the next four years when that absurd back loaded contract really starts to bite?

15. noring4youstill says: Mar 13, 2013 8:44 PM

Ha and meanwhile Tampa has overplayed for FAs again this offseason. Have fun in the basement.

16. jackericsson says: Mar 13, 2013 8:45 PM

Welcome to mediocrity!

17. psuravens19 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:01 PM

I appreciate what Kruger did for the Ravens this year, but it should tell you something if the Ravens didn’t make an effort to sign him. He had a great half season, but check his stats for the first 3.5 seasons.

18. believeland1954 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:08 PM

How quickly they turn. I guess you can say the same about Ellerbe, Reed and Pollard. Ravens didn’t anticipate the the backlash of Flacco’s pay day within the team. Good luck with that.

19. ballboy48 says: Mar 13, 2013 11:16 PM

Did anyone hear what he had to say when asked whether some Ravens players resented Flacco for his huge deal, and how it has affected the Ravens? He basically said that a bunch of Ravens players are not happy with Flacco, but it depended on who you asked. Flacco single handedly is responsible for the Ravens cap issues.

20. hitdog042 says: Mar 14, 2013 1:50 PM

If the Ravens didn’t pursue him then the Browns didn’t take him away from the Ravens.

21. dawgswillhunt says: Mar 15, 2013 4:59 AM

I seem to remember the Browns beating the Saints the last time they played each other.

22. nolagirl says: Mar 15, 2013 11:45 PM

catquick says:Mar 13, 2013 7:25 PM

Why? Who wants to live in NO?
    _________________________

“America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland.” (Tennessee Williams)

ps – happy for the Browns, good hire.