Raiders sign Kaluka Maiava, Pat Sims

Kaluka Maiava AP

The Raiders signed linebacker Kaluka Maiava, defensive tackle Pat Sims and defensive end Jason Hunterthe club said Wednesday.

The club also announced the re-signing of defensive back Coye Francies, who appeared in 15 games for the Raiders a season ago.

The 26-year-old Maiava started 13 games for Cleveland in 2012, notching 53 tackles. A source tells PFT Maiava received a three-year, $6 million deal from Oakland.

Sims, 27, joins the Raiders after five seasons with the Bengals. He has primarily been a reserve the last two seasons.

Hunter, 29, missed the 2012 season with a triceps injury. He was previously with Denver. He has recorded 11 sacks since entering the league in 2006.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Raiders sign Kaluka Maiava, Pat Sims”
  1. 808raiderinparadise says: Mar 13, 2013 6:49 PM

Reggie McKenzie lets Bryant & Wheeler get insanely overpaid in FA market…

and then the very next day replaced them both with solid players, easy on the cap.

I know some fans are angry BUT Reggie will build a roster the right way.

Get used to it.

2. poprox13 says: Mar 13, 2013 6:51 PM

Well…… that ought to put us over the top…

3. tdubdizzle says: Mar 13, 2013 6:52 PM

Solid pickups, nothing flashy. All three of these guys are good depth. I’m interested to see what Kaluka Maiva can do, we’re in desperate need of a reliable linebacker. Jason Hunter was a great pick up,he will be a good player to have. Hopefully we bring back Andre Carter too. Pat Sims might be our opening day Nose tackle, who knows.

4. bgdabengal says: Mar 13, 2013 6:58 PM

Enjoy Sims, He’ll be missed by Cinci.

5. gibbyfan says: Mar 13, 2013 7:10 PM

Sounds like some warm bodies just to field a team –Raiders are so snake bitten dpesnt make any difference—-the legacy of AL lives on.

6. thegloriousone says: Mar 13, 2013 7:12 PM

As a Browns fan, I can’t believe this is a headline.

Maiava is really bad.

7. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Mar 13, 2013 7:20 PM

Not bad moves. Truly rebuilding is a long process, so cap friendly serviceable players are good pick ups. Raiders have been a mess in every phase of the organization for years from top to bottom. I can’t judge Reggie too harshly yet, but I’d be lying if I said I am ok with another 4-12 season.

8. tdk24 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:23 PM

“thegloriousone says:
    Mar 13, 2013 7:12 PM
    As a Browns fan, I can’t believe this is a headline.

Maiava is really bad.”
    _____________________________

So is the rest of your team. They usually play better after they leave.

9. efriedo says: Mar 13, 2013 7:24 PM

Glad they signed some players, but good luck cover Welker, Decker and Demarius Thomas with Coy Francis and Phillip Adams…

10. beauregard says: Mar 13, 2013 7:27 PM

The Raiders have sat back and watched Denver first sign Peyton Manning and them Wes Welker. They must feel like the bastard step child at the AFCW family picnic.

11. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 13, 2013 7:28 PM

Looks like it’s going to be a year where they just throw some jerseys out on the field.
    I’m OK with that, as long as they have a long term plan to become competitive year after year.
    Like other well run franchises.

12. nflcinbengals says: Mar 13, 2013 7:30 PM

Good luck Raiders fans, take care of Pat Sims, dude is a baller and he’ll lock down the middle and force backs to bounce outside and linemen to hold him… Reminds me of Pat Williams fro the MN days

13. radrntn says: Mar 13, 2013 7:54 PM

i think any person of reason, and not hate, relizes the raiders are for the first time rebuilding the team. As Al Davis said ” the Raiders don’t rebuild, they reload”. Well that was then and this is now. Get ready to build the team with a bunch of blue collar vets, and a slew of young guys. We have one more year of cap hell, and limited draft picks, but by next year we should have a foundation to build upon. For Raiders fans the glass is always half full, for the haters is always half empty.

14. jaewest304 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:55 PM

I don’t think these guys are “solid” . what gives this impression? These are second maybe even third string players. Sims I like but Francis and The Rocks cousin and Hunter all non factor signings. I hope Miavia proves me wrong but I have huge doubts

15. thegreathambin0 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:59 PM

I know very little of Maiava, can a Browns fan fill me in?

16. stephenolszewski says: Mar 13, 2013 8:18 PM

As a Browns fan when we say he’s bad we mean really bad…missed out on Cushing and Matthews for a special teams player

Thanks a lot Mangini

17. shaunypoo says: Mar 13, 2013 8:38 PM

Sims was a good role player here in Cincy. I liked him in a rotation. I would be interested to see what he could do in an expanded role, but he had Geno ahead of him.

18. raiderapologist says: Mar 13, 2013 9:09 PM

jaewest304 says: Mar 13, 2013 7:55 PM

————–
    That’s what people said about Wheeler last year, and he turned a one year deal into a mansion. It’s not like the Raiders are planning to contend this season. They’re just hoping to avoid getting embarrassed every week.

19. slickster35 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:23 PM

Who?

20. nomesayin says: Mar 13, 2013 9:44 PM

I’m certain that the lockerroom morale is very high in Oakland. Looks like Mackenzie is content to SUCK this year so he can start turning things around next year?

He saw the model for success in GB. The problem is that he doesn’t appear to have the creativity to build towards that model while still putting a competitive team on the field this year. What does it say to the fans & season ticket holders? What does it say to the rest of the lockerroom? This is not Green Bay, Dorothy. Wheeler & Bryant got away, yet you gonna roll with Giardano? Perfect.

I got a bad, baaaad feeling…

21. radrntn says: Mar 13, 2013 10:42 PM

nomesayin says:
    Mar 13, 2013 9:44 PM

I got a bad, baaaad feeling…

– – – – – – – – – – – –

reminds of they guy in the movie platoon, who asked the sarge for a leave, and the leave was denied….he said he had a bad feeling and they got shalacked with incoming that night. At least he survived, so i think we can do, but it is probably going to get ugly before it gets better

22. thegloriousone says: Mar 13, 2013 11:04 PM

Mar 13, 2013 7:12 PM
    As a Browns fan, I can’t believe this is a headline.

Maiava is really bad.”
    _____________________________
    tdk says:

So is the rest of your team. They usually play better after they leave.

________________________________
    Yeah. Like William Green, Brian Robiskie, Brady Quinn and Courtney Brown. Real Stellar after they left.

Do you even watch football?

By the way, last year the Browns were 5-11 and Oakland was 4-12

The difference? Cleveland beating Oakland in the “black hole” 20-17.

Nice pick up, Raider Nation.

23. raideralex99 says: Mar 14, 2013 1:44 AM

If they are going to throw the season before it even starts … They better cut the tickets prices in half … That’s truly pathetic.

24. kwjsb says: Mar 15, 2013 6:48 PM

Maiava and Coye Francies, It’s Mangenius’s D going west.