Report: Urlacher and Vikings have had talks

Vikings quarterback Ponder throws a pass as Bears middle linebacker Urlacher watches during the second half of their NFL football game at Soldier Field in Chicago Reuters

The Bears and linebacker Brian Urlacher haven’t come to an agreement for his return, leaving the door open for another NFC North team to bend Urlacher’s ear.

Mike Mulligan of the Chicago Tribune reports that a Vikings source confirms that there have been talks with Urlacher’s camp in recent days. The source said that the Vikes would be “monitoring” the situation, but the team still believes that Urlacher will eventually wind up remaining in Chicago.

Mulligan adds the Cardinals to the list of teams thought to have interest in Urlacher and also mentions the Cowboys, whose interest was also reported by Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports. Neither of those teams carry the emotional baggage of the Vikings, though.

At a press conference Wednesday, Bears coach Marc Trestman called Urlacher a “very, very capable player” and said he was excited about Urlacher potentially being part of the team in 2013. General Manager Phil Emery said that he didn’t think there was any reason to think Urlacher feels slighted by the way the Bears have been going about their business.

“Well, the talks are ongoing so I don’t know why anybody would feel slighted,” Emery said. “We haven’t come to a conclusion.”

The image of Urlacher in purple is a difficult one to conjure up, but free agency can make for strange bedfellows.

Permalink 79 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
79 Responses to “Report: Urlacher and Vikings have had talks”
  1. cags777 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:17 PM

Urlacher to the Vikings will never happen. And this is coming from a Vikings fan.

2. trevor123698 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:18 PM

Personally I think hes done but he did look pretty good last year

3. rightwingguy says: Mar 13, 2013 9:20 PM

Vikes should pass.

4. bryguy39 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:20 PM

PUKE! i dont think we have a big enough Helmet for his melon here in Minnesota!

5. tcstunner says: Mar 13, 2013 9:22 PM

As a Vikes fan, I say PASS. Urlachers best days are clearly behind him. Id rather resign Brinkley or draft a good LB than sign an aging, injury prone Urlacher. While he was a beast, he is no longer the same player he once was.

6. errybodybabydaddy says: Mar 13, 2013 9:22 PM

Ewww das yucky. He’s dunzo

7. vikescry1 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:23 PM

yeah it’s not like we had to see any other nfc north greats change into that pukey purple…. favre???? it must suck to be a viking fan these days.

8. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:23 PM

dude is done!!! he moves as fast as a turtle now, im sure vikings will sign him on name recognition only

9. taintedsaints2009 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:24 PM

first favre.

now urlacher…?haha. this would be hilarious. wont happen but man that would be an epic slam.

10. macneil4025 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:25 PM

I want Greg Jennings, Forget Urlacher, he is way past his prime. Why spend money there when you could steal Jennings from the Packers and improve the pathetic receiving core we are currently employing!!

11. citizenstrange says: Mar 13, 2013 9:25 PM

He’d look good in Black and Gold! Not as good as James Harrison though. I still can’t believe he’s gone.

GO STEELERS!

12. ShimSham says: Mar 13, 2013 9:26 PM

“Vikes should pass.”
    —————————-
    Conventional wisdom says that but Peterson is so much more effective than letting Ponder throw. hey oh

13. vikesfannatx says: Mar 13, 2013 9:27 PM

The only guy who would make me pine for the days of Jasper Brinkley would be an over-the-hill Urlacher.

Boy, Speilman’s on fire… trade Percy… cut Winfield and take a run at Urlacher.

What an absolute nightmare for us Viking fans, as per usual.

14. fijabbersman345 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:28 PM

Meaningless speculation

15. jwisz says: Mar 13, 2013 9:28 PM

trevor123698 says: “Personally I think hes done but he did look pretty good last year”

WTH does this mean?? Haha!

16. gunndlewittlebaum says: Mar 13, 2013 9:28 PM

17. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Mar 13, 2013 9:29 PM

Urlacher doesn’t fit in with the Vikings’ youth movement or their desire to find someone better than Jasper Brinkley.

18. leo133074 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:30 PM

If this happens, the vikings will win the superbowl.

19. boobschannel says: Mar 13, 2013 9:30 PM

they cut one of their best defensive players in winfield, who is the same age. highly unlikely MN thinks he is the missing piece at middle lb. that’s a position they will target in the draft.

20. billbrasky72 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:33 PM

Weird

21. bigks77 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:33 PM

Vikings only sign vikings our UFAS per Rick Spielman who Sucks!!!!

22. lnfinite says: Mar 13, 2013 9:34 PM

cags777 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:17 PM

——————————————————

I said the same thing about Favre in 2008 and then what happened………………………

23. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Mar 13, 2013 9:34 PM

Urlacher won’t go to an NFC Central foe. Dallas would be a waste of time (because they just eternally blow with JJ as owner) and AZ doesn’t have enough time to develop a winner.

One year $4M deal with Bears.

Book it.

24. dirtyharry44 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:39 PM

The guy is washed up.

25. ilikekegswithmyeggs says: Mar 13, 2013 9:42 PM

i’m not sure how much he has left but if he’s gonna play then it should be in chicago

26. fwippel says: Mar 13, 2013 9:45 PM

Ugh. As a Viking fan, I wish they’d concentrate on landing a quality veteran WR instead of a washed up linebacker.

Mr. Speilman, if you want your QB to get better, you need to go find him some legitimate receivers.

27. jayynation says: Mar 13, 2013 9:45 PM

I’d rather draft ogletree..get derek cox/sean smith out of free agency..sign heywaurd-bey to a low risk deal, then work through the draft. #vikingnation

28. montanapredator says: Mar 13, 2013 9:46 PM

Vikes take from the Pack (see Sharper, Longwell) not from da Bears (see Berrian). Urlacher is out of gas and body broken. Don’t waste time, put him out to pasture where he belongs/

29. vikings1976 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:46 PM

“The image of Favre in purple was difficult to conjure up”

30. howiehandles says: Mar 13, 2013 9:49 PM

Nothing against the Vikings, but I couldn’t see him signing with them at this point in his career.

The Cowboys I could see, as he was a fan of them growing up.

I’m sure this is him testing the market to bring a price back to the Bears.

While he’s definitely at the tail end of his career, it would be a bad PR hit for him to sign with another team.

31. catchhester23 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:50 PM

Think he will hang up the cleats before that happens. He wants a ring don’t see any of the teams mentioned doing that next year. Bears might not be favorites but they are a lot closer than those teams.

32. conormacleod says: Mar 13, 2013 9:50 PM

This would only make sense if the Vikings were trying to make the Bears spend more. Vikings are absolutely about youth and drafting their own players.

33. sd5547 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:50 PM

Sorry, purple is not his color.

34. hellfishberg says: Mar 13, 2013 9:51 PM

hahaha, I love it- Greg Biekert 2.0

35. ditkadontbutkus says: Mar 13, 2013 9:56 PM

“The image of Urlacher in purple is a difficult one to conjure up”

Pardon me while I go throw up…

36. hansenbrothers says: Mar 13, 2013 9:58 PM

Vikings love their sloppy seconds

37. bmue42 says: Mar 13, 2013 9:59 PM

The vikings where old nfc north players go to die

38. vikesfansteve says: Mar 13, 2013 10:02 PM

You don’t need to run much if you are lined up in the right place and tell the other players the right place to be. The Raiders won 3 Super Bowls with so called over the hill players.

39. luz56 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:02 PM

Girlacker is done… Tired of seeing him make tackles 8-10 yards down field. Too slow now. Was pretty good back in the day

40. spanked13 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:03 PM

so Spielman is full of B.S. or another of the many false stories on this site ? which is it ?…. you forgot the youth movement story from Spielman …. cutting Winfield who can still play the game at a very high level and using the age excuse for dumping him and now “supposedly” negotiating with Urlacher who can barely move at this point of his career is absolutely senseless …. just like trading away a 24 year old elite WR/RB/KR named Harvin in a youth movement …. how many people fall for the gabage out of Spielman’s mouth

41. ndnut says: Mar 13, 2013 10:04 PM

As a Vikings fan, I’d rather sign quality receivers first. Also, I want Urlacher to be a Bear forever.

42. bigjim50010 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:08 PM

Allen n Urlacher would be fun

43. The Doctor says: Mar 13, 2013 10:10 PM

Hey, if the price is right, why not. I am sure he would be an upgrade from Jasper.

44. larryboodry says: Mar 13, 2013 10:11 PM

rightwingguy says: Mar 13, 2013 9:20 PM

“Vikes should pass.”

Insert Christian Ponder joke here.

45. jerrykill4pres says: Mar 13, 2013 10:13 PM

Exactly! Urlacher should retire a bear. There’s just players that you always associate with certain teams. Ray Lewis/Ravens, Favre/Packers, Brady/Pats, Montana/9r’s… Same goes for Urlacher. Let him retire a bear. These are HOF players that should just always be associated with one team, the team they will go into the Hall under.

46. welandedonthemoon says: Mar 13, 2013 10:15 PM

This is just Spielman getting payback for the Bears driving up Loadholt’s contract. Nothing more.

47. jayynation says: Mar 13, 2013 10:15 PM

I’d rather draft ogletree.get derek cox or sean smith out of free agency..sign heywaurd-bey to a low risk deal, then work the draft. #vikingnation

48. larryboodry says: Mar 13, 2013 10:17 PM

Wow…I want Urlacher to stay, but if he is really wanting $5.5m for 1 year, then no…And I do not expect him in purple if he does leave.

Prove me right, Brian.

49. mann44 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:18 PM

As a Vikings fan I would rather sign the person that runs out to grab the kick off tee.

50. cags777 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:27 PM

51. brewdogg says: Mar 13, 2013 10:30 PM

Urlacher should retire as a Bear. Period. Sometimes a player just embodies a team and an organization, and when those players play elsewhere, it just isn’t right. But when the team is ready to move on and the player isn’t, we end up with Rice in Oakland, Manning in Denver, Favre in Minnesota, Tomlinson in New York….. It’s just sad.

Stay put, buddy. Make a statement by refusing to play for anyone else.

52. mnnightowl says: Mar 13, 2013 10:30 PM

Obviously a made up story from Urlacher’s camp.

53. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:30 PM

if urlacher was a horse, he would be at the glue factor now

54. lnfinite says: Mar 13, 2013 10:32 PM

ditkadontbutkus says: Mar 13, 2013 9:56 PM

“The image of Urlacher in purple is a difficult one to conjure up”

Pardon me while I go throw up…

—————————————————-

Kinda thought the same thing when I once saw Alan Page in a Bears uniform a couple years before he retired. It cuts both ways………

55. Canyonero says: Mar 13, 2013 10:32 PM

I think it’d be cool to see him go to the Dallas Cowboys

56. jazz11001 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:34 PM

I would rather poop in my hand and clap….Vikes don’t want ANYMORE retreads from within the division. SKOL

57. lnfinite says: Mar 13, 2013 10:41 PM

cags777 says: Mar 13, 2013 10:27 PM

lnfinite, I understand your sentiment and I felt the same way at one time. However, Childress is no longer head coach and the head coach is no longer calling the shots with final rosters and signings. Plus, Brian Urlacher is not as likable as Brett Favre (no offense to Urlacher, who I deeply respect).so

—————————————————–

As much as so many diss others here, trust me that is not my intention. The reality today is players can’t always assume they will stay on one team so be prepared for a few surprises in the NFL.

Shocked me a few years ago Favre wearing purple (still amuses me even today that Packer fans are still pissed about it). Now we have Welker in Denver, Bush in Detroit. What’s next???

NFL is fastly becoming a Non Functioning Logic sport for fans. I could go on and on…………………….

58. wludford says: Mar 13, 2013 10:45 PM

Not sure that Urlacher can do much for the Vikings as an aging two-down MLB at this point, but he seems to hate the Bears organization and Bears fans as much as the Vikings do, so I guess that’s something to work with…

59. vikinganswer says: Mar 13, 2013 10:46 PM

vikesfannatx says:
    Mar 13, 2013 9:27 PM

Boy, Speilman’s on fire… trade Percy… cut Winfield and take a run at Urlacher.

What an absolute nightmare for us Viking fans, as per usual.

AND LAST YEAR WAS A NIGHTMARE I SUPPOSE TOO? I think I will trust Spielman and the Vikings ideas over yours. Anybody will be better than Brinkley. Percy trade was right move. Winfield was being paid way too much for an 8 game part time player.

60. thejuddstir says: Mar 13, 2013 10:52 PM

I think the Vikings “interest” in either Urlacher or G. Jennings is only to drive the price up for either Bears or Packers to retain these players…..thus using up cap space. Packers would like to keep Jennings but they know they would have to more than likely release either Hawk or Finley to clear the cap space because what they have left has to take care of Rogers, Matthews and Raji. The Vikes scared the Fish into overpaying for Wallace and that’s all they”re doing now with two division rivals. If Vikings were to sign Jennings, it would be at their price which would be cheap enough to entice the Packers to want to retain him. As an aside note, I can see many an embarrassed Packer fan. They were so sure that Jennings wouldn’t be resigned that they started trash talkin’ Jennings and the Vikings picking up their “leftovers”, but now TT wants to resign Jennings…….guess these packer fans don’t know TT like they think they do.

61. gridassassin says: Mar 13, 2013 10:53 PM

…that That would be like Jim McMahon and Steve McMichael finishing their careers as Packers

62. purplepunisher says: Mar 13, 2013 10:59 PM

Vikings are just playing the game… Their just driving up. The price for the Bears to resign Urlacher.

Wow, some of you guys get so upset, relax Speilman knows what he’s doing.

63. purpwalk says: Mar 13, 2013 11:02 PM

stay in chicago, son

64. chi01town says: Mar 13, 2013 11:04 PM

Let him go so the team can start to get younger.. Chicago needs good rookies thats 19 years old coming in
    not Urlacher.. he had his chance.

65. filthymcnasty1 says: Mar 13, 2013 11:06 PM

gunndlewittlebaum says: Mar 13, 2013 9:28 PM

“I can confirm that the Vikings ARE talking to Urlacher about a position. The opening is in the cheerleader squad. Good luck!”

Have you seen their cheerleaders? He’d be an upgrade.

66. cameraguy76 says: Mar 13, 2013 11:37 PM

Favre 2.0 if he goes there. Sure he is up there and injuries but make a fair deal and end it in Chicago.

67. bla bla bla says: Mar 13, 2013 11:44 PM

I hope this happens just so I can see the world turn upside down, or reverse its rotation.

And just imagine Urlacher were to end Cutler’s career with one of those head shots that the Bear fans have defended as “good, clean football” for so many years.

68. johnnytarr says: Mar 13, 2013 11:58 PM

I wonder if Speilman likes that idea that the Vikings are interested out there just to see if he can get the Bears (Urlacher) & the Pack (Jennings) to spend more to keep them from going to a in division rival.

69. josiewales69 says: Mar 14, 2013 12:36 AM

what emotional baggage ? have you not heard percy was traded to the seahawks. we don’t need urlacher anyway. but we do need a couple recievers, a couple corners and a younger mlb.

70. 6kings says: Mar 14, 2013 12:44 AM

There isn’t enough HGH in Minny for him.

71. 6kings says: Mar 14, 2013 12:45 AM

He could help build the new benches.

72. blackhawks2010 says: Mar 14, 2013 1:22 AM

Pay the man. Give him a 1 year deal and work him into the coaching staff. He’s the coach on defense now anyway, make it official.

73. chi01town says: Mar 14, 2013 5:01 AM

Its Time Chicago.. time to let Urlacher go. Emery should NOT pay
    5.5 million to Urlacher when they need to keep working on the O-line.
    Draft a gaurd for the left side with that 20th pick and protect Cutler.

74. Shinnbone says: Mar 14, 2013 7:29 AM

Vikings looking for a Linebacker coach or something?

75. severinsmith says: Mar 14, 2013 9:02 AM

This makes me sad. He should retire a Bear.

76. daCoach says: Mar 14, 2013 10:55 AM

This will never happen. They are only doing it to make the Bears pay him a little more just like the Bears did with Loadholt.

He’ll re-sign with the bears for about 1.5M for a year.

And he will be very solid for the bears next year.

77. moeman79 says: Mar 14, 2013 2:06 PM

I sure hope 54 gets picked up…i mean if he retires that means….i am getting old

78. lehulei86 says: Mar 14, 2013 4:51 PM

I don’t like this at all

79. iowahbr says: Mar 14, 2013 5:25 PM

Does the Urlacher camp have RV parking and water and electric hook-ups? Just want to know if it was worth a weekend visit and what the daily fee was going to be in fall 2013.