Stokley thinks Welker replacing him would be a “great move”

Divisional Playoffs - Baltimore Ravens v Denver Broncos Getty Images

The guy most immediately impacted by a potential Wes Welker-Broncos marriage thinks it would be a good move, even if it means he’s out of work.

I think it would be a great move if [the Broncos] got him,” Broncos free agent wide receiver Brandon Stokley told Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “I think he would be a great fit here.”

And yes, Stokley is well aware that such a signing wouldn’t enhance his own chance of hanging around Denver for another season.

“I know that,” Stokley said. “I’m just talking about production. Look at what he’s done the last six years. I’ve always thought he was underrated. You see these other receivers out there getting big money, I think Wes deserves what some of these guys are getting.”

Stokley’s 45 receptions last year were nice and all, but Welker had 118 playing the in the slot for the Patriots, and the fact Welker’s five years younger would make it a ridiculous upgrade.

“I’m fine with whatever happens with my situation, at this point,” Stokley said. “If last year was my last ride, with the kind of year we had as a team, I’d be happy with that. But you never what will happen. I might keep playing elsewhere. I’m just going to continue to stay in shape and wait to see if someone calls. If they do, I’ll be ready.”

Maybe the Patriots will call. It would be very like them.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Stokley thinks Welker replacing him would be a “great move””
  1. onebucplace says: Mar 13, 2013 4:05 PM

Brandon Stokley is the Ricky Proehl of this generation.

2. tdubdizzle says: Mar 13, 2013 4:06 PM

Brandon Stokley, a true class act. If I were the Broncos I’d keep him for another year, even if he’d be the last receiver on the roster.

3. 4thquartermagic says: Mar 13, 2013 4:06 PM

Total class act who made several huge catches for the Broncos last year.

Slot guys are always underrated.

Good luck to you Slot-Machine!

4. walker615 says: Mar 13, 2013 4:07 PM

As randy moss might say, he’s “straight class, homie.”

Hope they bring him back regardless.

5. thurstonblogging says: Mar 13, 2013 4:08 PM

Come to Detroit. We need another receiver, and he’d get another 45 in the slot here.

6. bronconation623 says: Mar 13, 2013 4:10 PM

if we dont get welker we need to resign stokley.. go after adrian wilson or steven jackson

7. ncm42 says: Mar 13, 2013 4:12 PM

Stokely to Detroit would actually be a great fit.

8. chiwizlive says: Mar 13, 2013 4:13 PM

As bad as I want welker,I hope they can keep stokely as a back up he’s a class act and the original “Slot Machine”

#BroncoNation

9. flavordave says: Mar 13, 2013 4:13 PM

10. CKL says: Mar 13, 2013 4:13 PM

Stokley has class, unlike his longtime QB.

11. sourdoughsam says: Mar 13, 2013 4:15 PM

Great to hear a player who isn’t blinded by his own ego. I’m sure there’s a spot somewhere in the league for a guy like Brandon Stokely.

12. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 13, 2013 4:17 PM

flavordave says:How can this move possibly stop Chip Kellys intricate offense? The answer is that it cant. Chip is set to shock and awe the league.

dude u cant be serious?????

13. calicowboysfan86 says: Mar 13, 2013 4:18 PM

Great attitude. It’s nice to see a player that can think of the team and the game before himself.

14. rhodeislandpatriotsfan says: Mar 13, 2013 4:21 PM

A Peyton Manning & Wes Welker combo would slice and dice the Patriots’ defense. If this Welker-to-Denver transaction is consummated, I have little doubt that history will judge it as a monumental blunder by Belichick, and an enormous coup by Elway.

15. west4420 says: Mar 13, 2013 4:22 PM

flavordave says:Mar 13, 2013 4:13 PM

————————————————–
    Flavordave, the new Logicalvoice……..

God I would love to meet some of you weirdos.

16. siknutty says: Mar 13, 2013 4:23 PM

CKL;

How can you say Manning has no class? He is never is trouble, always says the right things, is a great teammate, probably the hardest worker in the NFL, and will go down as one of the all times greatest to ever play the position.. Hopefully Manning can learn a thing or two from you, because you sir exemplify the word class..

17. rexryanseacrest says: Mar 13, 2013 4:24 PM

As the picture clearly shows, his right knee was down. Just kidding Broncos fans. Now that Anquan is gone, maybe Stokley can reunite with my Ravens. We always loved that guy.

18. blackngold4life says: Mar 13, 2013 4:24 PM

He needs to visit Pittsburgh

19. onebucplace says: Mar 13, 2013 4:25 PM

BTW when I said he’s the Ricky Proehl of this generation, I meant it as in you would have swore he retired 5 years ago.

20. briscocountyjr says: Mar 13, 2013 4:25 PM

flavordave says:Mar 13, 2013 4:13 PM “How can this move possibly stop Chip Kellys intricate offense? The answer is that it cant. Chip is set to shock and awe the league.”

see kids!! Don’t use drugs! You’ll be attacked by delusions and misunderstanding!

21. rocketcrab says: Mar 13, 2013 4:27 PM

Hey Brandon, how about going back to where your career began?

22. yaplepalooza says: Mar 13, 2013 4:28 PM

Good guy Stokley. Maybe he goes to the Pats and reignites his career.

23. truthfactory says: Mar 13, 2013 4:33 PM

Sounds like a classy and honest dude. Respect.

24. CKL says: Mar 13, 2013 4:35 PM

siknutty says:
    Mar 13, 2013 4:23 PM
    CKL;

__________________________________
    Well I’ve heard him say some pretty rude things that threw his team and teammates under the bus over his long career. I don’t consider that classy.
    He also had a lawsuit against him for something really classy he did to a female trainer in college.
    Work hard and a top QB , I can’t argue, but neither of those means he has class.

The media seldom criticizes him ever or holds him responsible for playing poorly. Just look at the way they talked after SB 44 or this past playoff game. Any criticism for his turnovers? Nope, blame the WR (sb 44) and blame Rahim Moore (this past year). I think that contributes towards fans thinking he does no wrong.

I don’t expect any PM fan to agree with me but at least know I have valid reasons for feeling that way.

25. pastabelly says: Mar 13, 2013 5:00 PM

As a Patriots fan, seeing Welker go to Denver, Houston, or Baltimore is tough to see. It’s obvious Belichick and Welker are pages apart on Welker’s value. But Lloyd didn’t work and now the Patriots really have nothing other than Gronk, Hernandez, and Edelman (still need to re-sign him). They are going to spend that money somewhere. What’s a better investment – injury prone but younger Amendola or sure thing Welker? It’s probably Welker.

26. c1md6 says: Mar 13, 2013 5:33 PM