Drew Stanton: I want to be the answer

Drew Stanton AP

Quarterback Drew Stanton hasn’t been a member of the Cardinals long, but he’s been there long enough to know exactly why he’s there.

“They need to find an answer at this position,” Stanton said, via the Arizona Republic. ‘I want to be that answer. I’m going to do everything in my power to be that answer, and given that opportunity, I feel like I can.”

It’s shaping up to be as good an opportunity as Stanton will ever get. He’ll be playing for a coach in Bruce Arians who knows Stanton from Indy and feels strongly enough about him that the Cardinals offered a contract that will pay Stanton as much as $20.2 million in the next three years if he hits certain incentives. He also has very little in the way of competition with Kevin Kolb ticketed for an exit from the desert and Brian Hoyer possessing even less NFL experience than his fellow Michigan State product.

Unless the Cardinals take a quarterback in the first round, Stanton appears set to enter training camp as the favorite for the starting job. From there it will be up to him to prove that he’s the answer the Cardinals have needed for a long time.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Drew Stanton: I want to be the answer”
  1. green41563 says: Mar 14, 2013 11:38 AM

If he’s the answer, what’s the question?

2. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 14, 2013 11:39 AM

Allen Iverson is laughing.

3. esalonen says: Mar 14, 2013 11:40 AM

If Drew Stanton is the answer, it was a really dumb question..

4. ecupatsfan12 says: Mar 14, 2013 11:40 AM

Sh!t- Larry Fitzgerald. All joking aside, Stanton has never had a legit chance to be a starter. He played pretty well in Detroit a few years ago. I wish him all the best.

5. esalonen says: Mar 14, 2013 11:41 AM

(I will give him credit, he is the last Lions QB to beat the Green Bay Packers. Always kudos for that.)

6. rca26 says: Mar 14, 2013 11:41 AM

If they miss on Geno Smith on draft day, New England or Philly’s phones are going to be ringing off the hook for a QB that can get the ball down the field for Arians.

7. gochargersgo says: Mar 14, 2013 11:44 AM

Question: Who needs a backup QB?

8. justafanofitall says: Mar 14, 2013 11:45 AM

How do we know he is the answer…he has always been a back up who didn’t get much opportunity to play. Keep Kolb at lesser pay and let the two compete.

9. The Prophet says: Mar 14, 2013 11:46 AM

Drew Stanton: the Charlie Whitehurst of 2013

10. whatjusthapped says: Mar 14, 2013 11:46 AM

Lets face facts, if you can’t beat out Kolb, then find something else to do with your life.

11. otistaylor89 says: Mar 14, 2013 11:49 AM

Question: Who will be the 2nd or 3rd QB on the AZ Cardinals in 2013?

12. rboutote says: Mar 14, 2013 11:51 AM

The answer that team needs is an O-Line, not Drew Stanton.

13. beardinals says: Mar 14, 2013 11:51 AM

Dude’s at least physically imposing. BA says he liked what he saw last year – I’m hoping that’s a real endorsement.

14. germanstingray says: Mar 14, 2013 11:51 AM

Stanton’s career has certainly been questionable. And by the way, Stanton played for Michigan, not Michigan State.

JOSH ALPER: I think you’re either thinking about a different Drew Stanton or are pretty terribly misinformed.

15. silvercrush33 says: Mar 14, 2013 11:52 AM

Longtime lions fan, always liked the way he played. Given the right opportunity I think he can perform at a high level, I hope this is finally his chance. Good luck Drew!

16. larryboodry says: Mar 14, 2013 11:53 AM

Always liked this kid…Hope he finally finds success.

17. tdubdizzle says: Mar 14, 2013 11:53 AM

Could be worse right, right?

18. karl422 says: Mar 14, 2013 12:00 PM

He is better than the three QBs that started games for them last year.

19. justintuckrule says: Mar 14, 2013 12:07 PM

Does this end the Max von Sydow era, or whatever 4th string Max qb was on the Cards recently. All I remember is that his name is Max and he was about 5’4 145.

20. beardinals says: Mar 14, 2013 12:09 PM

Max Hall? that debacle ended 2 years ago. UGH! Now I’ll have nightmares.

21. lorddarkhelmet says: Mar 14, 2013 12:10 PM

let me start by saying I like Drew, seems like a good guy and is a good leader. That said, he doesn’t have a pro arm. When he has been successful it’s because they have game planned to his strengths but in a full season defenses would figure that out very quickly.

22. fhuizar says: Mar 14, 2013 12:15 PM

No qb would survive behind that offensive line

23. arrowdead says: Mar 14, 2013 12:16 PM

It is so interesting how potential will earn you $$ in the NFL; no legit fan in my opinion could feel good about DS being your starter and if you gave these GMs truth serum they would say of course he think he is mediocre at best. But I guess it is testament to the weak over0 over all QB market this year. I’d take Derek Andersen (sp?) over DS, and DA was already in ‘Zona!

24. johnnycash19 says: Mar 14, 2013 12:18 PM

I’m glad Drew is finally getting a chance. He did play well for the Lions a couple of years ago. I’ll always remember the Detroit-Tampa game a couple years ago, where he ran the two minute drill to perfection, got the ball and went into OT to beat the Bucs and end the longest road losing streak in NFL history.

Although Calvin did make some ridiculous (as always) catches in that game.

25. ajgreenhof says: Mar 14, 2013 12:26 PM

Not saying he’s a beast but the little bit of playing time he got in Detroit I didn’t think he looked bad.

26. lks311 says: Mar 14, 2013 12:26 PM

Cardinals fans will love the way he plays. Not the most accurate, but, will stick his nose in it.

27. timmmah10 says: Mar 14, 2013 12:29 PM

Hmm… last year if he would have stayed in New York, he would have gotten a chance to start… but since he threw a hissy fit when they traded for Tebow, he missed out on his opportunity…

I can’t imagine the Cards don’t draft a QB this year… and as expected, they are going to do it during a poor QB class…

28. airstreamtex says: Mar 14, 2013 12:30 PM

@ germanstingray
    Drew Stanton played at Michigan State. Drew Henson played at Michigan with Tom Brady…went on to play baseball…
    Not sure Stanton is the answer but Im assuming Arians has a system that he can plug Stanton into that maximizes his skill set…good luck, Fitz deserves better…

29. isphet71 says: Mar 14, 2013 12:34 PM

The people bagging on Stanton don’t have a clue. He’s got what it takes to win in the NFL and he’s a high quality character guy.

He was great at Michigan State and really pretty effective in the few games he played for the Lions. He doesn’t have the strongest arm, sure, but he has the ability to find a way to win.

I’m a Michigan fan, so I’m not some Spartans slappy, either. Dude deserves some respect even though he probably isn’t the second coming of Steve Young.

30. steelerben says: Mar 14, 2013 12:45 PM

The good news is that he couldn’t be any worse that what was on the field last year.

When you are looking forward to a quarterback competition between Drew Stanton (the guy that was chased off of the JETS by Tim Tebow) and *potentially* Matt Cassel (the guy who was beaten out by Brady Quinn)… I feel for you, Cards fans. I really do.

31. tombradyswig says: Mar 14, 2013 1:13 PM

How many draft picks and how many players did they give up for Stanton?
    Oh, wrong sub par QB, sorry AZ!

32. Soulman45 says: Mar 14, 2013 1:32 PM

A lot of teams is going to the spread Drew have good legs it would fix one of his strength and the short passing game would work.
    Get a O that fix his strength and he could be OK.

33. germanstingray says: Mar 14, 2013 2:30 PM

My bad, I was thinking of Drew Henson!