Falcons center Todd McClure retires

Todd McClure AP

The Falcons got good news when one veteran starter on their offense, Tony Gonzalez, announced that he is not retiring. Now they’re getting bad news that another veteran starter on their offense, Todd McClure, announced that he is retiring.

Reports surfaced earlier in the offseason that the 36-year-old McClure was planning to call it quits, and on Wednesday night McClure took to Twitter to announce that he has officially made up his mind: His career is over.

McClure has become a very reliable player since arriving in Atlanta as a seventh-round draft pick in 1999. Although he suffered a torn ACL that cost him his entire rookie season, he entered the starting lineup in 2000 and hasn’t left it: In the last 12 years McClure has missed just four starts. McClure was also voted a team captain, and his leadership will be tough to replace.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Falcons center Todd McClure retires”
  1. everton422 says: Mar 14, 2013 8:46 AM

McClure was a class player and it will be sad to see him go. Some guys you just can’t replace, and he is one of them; both on the field, and in the locker room. Best of luck to him and his family.

2. thesportsguy52 says: Mar 14, 2013 8:57 AM

Hi, I’m Todd McClure. You may remember me from such games as…

3. nirvana504 says: Mar 14, 2013 9:08 AM

Man, poor guy had to play his entire career as a falcon. That’s just depressing, having to play in one of the worse stadiums in front of the worst fans.

4. gmenmunny says: Mar 14, 2013 9:09 AM

Hi. I’m center Todd McClure. You may remember me from such NFL teams as the Atlanta Falcons. I’m here today to wish you all the best as I move on from professional football to real life activities, like finances and golf.

All Simpson jokes aside, Congratulations Todd. You will be missed. Good luck in all your future opportunities.

5. cm228703 says: Mar 14, 2013 9:10 AM

Hi, I’m Todd McClure, you may remember me for such memorable feats as blocking for Michael Vick and Michael Turner….

6. 87hollywoodhorn says: Mar 14, 2013 5:05 PM

probably for the best, saints would have retired his old broke self anyway. lineman aint safe! collect bount money!