Plaxico Burress: Pittsburgh was the only place I wanted to be

AP

Plaxico Burress is back with the Steelers, and he says he wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Burress told the team’s website that he told Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and General Manager Kevin Colbert at the end of last season that if the Steelers would have him back, he wouldn’t even look around to see what else was out there.

I told them Pittsburgh was the only place I wanted to be,” Burress said. “When I came in last year I thought I was in good shape for the time frame I was there. All I wanted this year was an opportunity to get into minicamp and training camp and start to get myself back into real football shape along with everyone else.”

Although Burress only played in four games and caught three passes last season, he said he believes the Steelers intend to give him a chance to fill the starting spot that Mike Wallace vacated.

“For me to get off the board the first day of free agency I think it says a lot about the Steelers and what kind of role they have in mind for me,” Burress said. “I am going to approach it like I am going to be a starter

Burress began his career with five seasons in Pittsburgh before leaving for the Giants, where he spent four years. He then spent two years in prison for illegally possessing a gun and returned in 2011 to the Jets. But he says Pittsburgh is where he wants to be.

“It’s a special place,” Burress said. “From the owners on down they create an atmosphere that can’t be duplicated. It’s within the building. It’s been that way as long as I can remember. It’s everyone in the building. It’s the foundation. It’s special. You don’t get to be around an organization or teammates like the Steelers other places around the NFL. That is one of the first things I noticed when I left and went to New York. Sometimes you want to embark on bigger and better things and go to the big city. I did that. There are pros and cons of every situation. I am back because I love it in Pittsburgh. When you leave you realize how special a place it really is.”

The 35-year-old Burress likely doesn’t have much time left in the NFL, but he appears content to end his career where it began.

49 responses to “Plaxico Burress: Pittsburgh was the only place I wanted to be

1. He’s not even a starter , and only had 1 touchdown catch last year, but his heart for the city, the fans , and the team is what earns my respect, nfl teams need more players like this .

2. I don’t buy it, but Plax is a few years older and hopefully a few years wiser.

3. “he believes the Steelers intend to give him a chance to fill the starting spot that Mike Wallace vacated.”

The only way Burress will be as fast as Wallace is if he catches a cab.

4. Love Plax. I am a Steeler fan. But… c’mon!! He (rightfully) would say this wherever he goes.

5. Well stated. True, he doesn’t have more than a year or two left in the league, but he’s in the right situation again to be fairly productive and contribute to a winner, which the Steelers will be again…next season.

6. What he meant to say was Pittsburgh was the only team that was desperate enough to sign him. What a broke franchise.

7. It’s a safe move at a good price. We will have to wait and see on this one. Maybe more time with the team to get into “football” shape will make him into a force again. He certainly is more affordable to keep than Wallace which is what the Steelers had to do.

8. Burress isn’t the first guy to leave the Steelers then come back. At 35, he’s not going to find Wallace’s speed, but I hope he’ll work his way into becoming a solid contributor. And I wish he’d phone James Harrison and whisper in his ear about the benefits of working out a deal to finish his career in Pittsburgh.

9. The Steelers are too good an organization for me to second guess. Could be a nice addition and he seemed to jell with Ben when he was there before. Better than overpaying Wallace.

Go Ravens

10. “I told them Pittsburgh was the only place I wanted to be”

The check is in the mail.
    I will love you forever.
    I have never done this before.
    You’re my first.
    I’ve never felt this way before.
    You have the most beautiful (fill in body part here) in the world.
    I’ll call you the morning
    I’m not mad at you
    That was the best ever

11. ravenator says:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:25 PM

2 3 Only a mental midget such as yourself would say something negative about a feel good story about a steeler. Yet you expect everyone to lick Rays sack like you do because he has changed. Calling you a moron is insulting card carrying registered morons who fill the city of Baltimore.

12. Plaxico been tryna get back to Pittsburgh for a while it just never workd out..He loves Ben..the city and #SteelerNation.With Miller being out We need a target. over six ft in the Redzone and over the middle. He was under used by that Guru Haley five targets..three Rec and one Td and most of that was from Batch and Leftwich. Good keep for the Vet Minimum.

13. east96st says:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:36 PM
    “I told them Pittsburgh was the only place I wanted to be”

The check is in the mail.
    I will love you forever.
    I have never done this before.
    You’re my first.
    I’ve never felt this way before.
    You have the most beautiful (fill in body part here) in the world.
    I’ll call you the morning
    I’m not mad at you
    That was the best ever

0 0
    Smart post for a jaded New Yorker . Players never say that about the sty your live in so ssshhh let us bumpkins have some love.

14. Great signing pittsburgh. I mean who wouldn’t want to sign a 35 year old felon who no one pursued last year and wouldn’t have this year on the first day of free agency. I hear T.O. is looking for work too maybe he could replace wallace.I’m certain the incestual hills of pittsburgh is the only place he wants to be also

15. Pittsburgh fans calling Ravens fans morons gave me the best laugh of the day. Skip a meal, lose the mustache /goatee, and oh by the way, get the hell out of Maryland we hate you. Good luck luck boxing into another Rapersberger

16. I LOL an farted at the same time when I read this. Dude you are a loser that is the only team that would’ve offered you anything. That team is on major decline.

17. Maybe he’s finally learned a little humility, and perhaps he realizes how good he had it when he was with the Steelers before.

Or he could just be the same old Plax, with a superficial bit of humble pie for the press.

My money is on the latter, my heart on the former.

18. ihatepittsburgh | Mar 14, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT

Please where were you during The felon Ray Lewis’ career? Ssshhh went you open your mouth stupid things come out. Incestual …. Spell chech moron…lmao

19. pingdanny | Mar 14, 2013, 6:24 PM EDT

Logic and English are still used on this thread…try it no matter how much it hurts you.

20. Went I open my mouth in the future I will use spell chech. Please someone from pittsburgh with an education past the 3rd grade (3 or 4 of you) critique my comments

21. ravenator is calling the Steelers a broke franchise? Have you been reading about the mass exodus from Baltimore lately? You are the dumbest person that I have ever come across ever. You make real fans from Baltimore look foolish.

22. ihatepittsburgh | Mar 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT

Please don’t open your mouth again ..we know your stupid don’t over do it.

23. Nofoolnodrool,
    I will let up on you. I don’t want to embarrass you any further. Your team is doing enough of that. Just keep reminding yourself how many rings you have over the next decade while you watch the playoffs without your team in it

24. Say what you will about Burress, but Heinz Field gave him a standing ovation after an 18-yard out to convert a first down against San Diego. In the first quarter. The same game they mercilessly booed Wallace for coming up short. Repeatedly. They even struggled to applaud his TD catch that day.

The fans still want Burress because he is a difference-maker and he is a reminder of exciting times. He is a matchup problem for any team. Not the same way Wallace was but he is still a matchup problem.

As long as he keeps his head on straight he and the Steelers will be just fine.

25. Now that Ray Lewis has retired will Plaxico Burress once again run a crossing route over the center of the field? He will probably only continue to run straight fly routes if he is going to pretend to be a Mike Wallace II….

In all reality Ray crushed Plaxico in the middle of the end zone around 02-03. It changed Plaxico’s career and he will not cross the field with an effort since.

26. I am OVERJOYED by this news!!!!!!!! Haters gonna hate…but #80 is in da HOUSE!!!!!!!!! Here’s to a FANTASTIC season!!

27. ihatepittsburgh | Mar 14, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT
    Nofoolnodrool,

Thanks peanut you are too gracious ….English is a difficult language but stay with it you’ll get it.

28. ravenator says:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:25 PM

Broke Franchise: Dictionary definition One time Super Bowl winner whose players abandon ship before an 0-16 follow up season – See Baltimore Ravens….

29. Starter? Not while Cotchery is under contract. He might not be as fast Wallace but he catches everything thrown in his direction. He also won’t spike a live ball, Plax.

30. Nofoolnodrool,

You should probably stop. As a Steeler fan, you’re embarrassing everyone with your incorrect corrections.

Best,
    Everyone

As for Plaxico, he caught three passes last year and one TD. Is that really much different from other #5 WRs in the NFL? Unless you’ve got Rodgers, Brady, or Manning, that guy’s not getting much action. Good to see the big man back.

31. Really Ravenator? I thought maybe after seeing all the players that are leaving the Ravens you would finally shut up about the steelers. I guess i was wrong. Maybe you haven’t actually read about what is going on with the ravens because you have been to busy looking for articles about the steelers so you can make your clever little comments informing us all of their impending doom. I am starting to wonder if maybe you aren’t even an actual fan of the ravens at all and just have the name to irrate steelers fans a little more.

32. menofsteelx6 says:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:08 PM

Players that miss two seasons sitting in jail because they shot themselves in the leg??? yeah, we definitely need more of these guys in the NFL…

33. steelersnowand4ever says:
    Mar 15, 2013 6:18 AM
    ravenator says:
    Mar 14, 2013 5:25 PM

Nice try, the ravens actually have two superbowls, the same number the steelers have sine 1996…

34. Nofoolnodrool says:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:44 PM
    ihatepittsburgh | Mar 14, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT

Please don’t open your mouth again ..we know your stupid don’t over do it.

“your” is possessive, you should really work on grammar before you try to critique other people. The correct way to contract that pronoun is “you’re” which means “you are” let me try it in a sentence for you…

You’re stupid nofool, please re-take 3rd grade grammar before you critique another post.