Bud Adams knows he’s overspending, and loves it

Bud Adams AP

Titans owner Bud Adams just turned 90 years old, and his goal must be to drop a million per year on free agents.

The Titans have been among the most aggressive players in free agency, a move Adams himself signed off on.

“We want the right players, that’s the main thing. We have to get the players we know can perform and make us look like we’re a tough team to play against again,” Adams told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “[General manager] Ruston [Webster] knows how I feel about this thing now. . . . He is getting the job done.

There are certain guys we may have to pay a little more than they should maybe be getting, but I want to win. . . . We may have to pay some more money, but I’m in. I’m ready to go with it.”

Frankly, the fact that Adams admits to overspending is great.

“We needed to be aggressive. Mr. Adams gave his blessing and allowed us to be aggressive,” Webster said. “But it was actually fun to set a plan and then just go do it. . . . And these were the guys we targeted.”

The Titans have spent $88.5 million on free agents, signing former Bills guard Andy Levitre (six years, $46.8 million) and former 49ers tight end Delanie Walker (four years, $17.5 million) on Tuesday, then coming back with former Lions defensive tackle Sammie Lee Hill (three years, $11.4 million), former Jets running back Shonn Greene (three years, $10 million) and former Colts linebacker Moise Fokou (two years, $2.8 million).

Adams joked that he hopes the money translates into playoff appearances.

“I may have a heart attack if we don’t,” he said. “I just had my 90th birthday and somebody asked me, ‘Adams, how long are you going to stay at this thing?’ I said ‘I’ve made it 90, so I might as well go to 100.’ And I’d like to get in the playoffs and see some winning football over that stretch, too.

“I am excited. I feel pretty good about these guys we’ve got now. And we have the draft coming up, too. Things are looking up.”

Maybe, maybe not, but it’s still awesome to watch Adams take off the mittens and throw the cash around.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
34 Responses to “Bud Adams knows he’s overspending, and loves it”
  1. mindcrime401 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:25 AM

“Adams joked that he hopes the money translates into playoff appearances.”

That’s the difference between the Titans and other teams. Other teams spend intending on making the playoffs, not joking about it.

2. raiderapologist says: Mar 15, 2013 11:28 AM

10 million for Shonn Greene isn’t throwing money around, it’s throwing money away.

3. tundey says: Mar 15, 2013 11:29 AM

Yes it is but buying the players is just the start. Now you’ve gotta get them all on the same page. Otherwise, you end up with the Eagles “Dream Team”.

4. joetoronto says: Mar 15, 2013 11:29 AM

Please, all those years when the Titans were close, very close, but Fisher had to keep teaching new players, because Adams wouldn’t spend the money.

5. salutethis says: Mar 15, 2013 11:31 AM

Not a titans fan, but you got to love when the owner is going all out to make a winner. (does make you wonder what these guys are doing up till this point)…

6. xmiksticky says: Mar 15, 2013 11:31 AM

As a Titans fan I didn’t enjoy Bud managing Jeff Fisher and the whole Vince Young saga but he does some of the funniest things. I can’t tell you how hard I laughed at the double finger salute an 87 year old man was giving from his press box. As far as spending money goes I didn’t agree with most of the deals but I’d rather have an owner willing to spend money than one who hordes all of the cap space not willing to spend.

7. audge86 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:32 AM

This interview is actually kind of badass

Lovin’ the suit too

8. unlost1 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:36 AM

all the spending isn’t making the team a contender

9. doe22us says: Mar 15, 2013 11:41 AM

At least he didnt give any one the two gun salute.

10. stevenwilliams2013 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:41 AM

That vest is AWESOME!!!

11. boltfaninfalconcountry says: Mar 15, 2013 11:42 AM

Hey Bud, can I forward you my mortgage balance for payoff since you enjoy giving money away?

12. asimonetti88 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:44 AM

Mittens off!

13. Punk says: Mar 15, 2013 11:47 AM

Make us LOOK as though we are a tough team to play???

14. jpaq68 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:48 AM

There’s got to be a catch – Bud Adams is one of the cheapest owners out there.

He once presented Earl Campbell with a brand-new Lincoln Continental only to have Earl recieve a payment booklet from the bank a couple of weeks later.

I’d watch my wallet around that guy.

15. andthereuhaveit says: Mar 15, 2013 11:48 AM

raiderapologist says:
    Mar 15, 2013 11:28 AM
    ————————————-
    Two words.

Jamarcus. Russell.

16. ben1332 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:50 AM

When you’re overpaying top dollar it means you’re getting very good players and paying them to be great

When you’re overpaying guys at the low level of salary that the Titans are it means you’re getting garbage players and paying them to be decent.
    Not good

17. d0minate says: Mar 15, 2013 11:56 AM

This makes no sense, wasn’t there a deal in the new CBA that requires teams to spend now? Also there is something called a salary cap, so a min spend and a max spend. This has nothing to do with an owner opening up his wallet, it has to do with the fact the owners are raking it in since the new CBA, and now they are being forced to spend.

18. neva4get5 says: Mar 15, 2013 11:59 AM

I’m an Eagles fan but I hope the Titans never smell another winning season in this century for the way they treated Air McNair in his final days. How do you lock out the best QB the organization ever had b/c you were afraid he would hurt himself working out and you didnt want to pay him…….WOOOWWW! HOW DISRESPECTFUL!!

19. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 15, 2013 12:00 PM

At 90, his window of opportunity is shrinking and besides he can back load the contracts and later someone else will have to sort through the mess.

Short term approach but when you’re 90, makes sense.

20. zingo1978 says: Mar 15, 2013 12:02 PM

As another site pointed out, the Titans are spending $4.5 million for Shonne Green to be the back-up. Atlanta is paying $4.0 million for Steven Jackson to be their starter………………

21. neva4get5 says: Mar 15, 2013 12:03 PM

Apologist, I think the Shonne Greene move is good for you guys. SG is not a bad back, he just had a terrible line and a horrid OC. He should provide a nice change of pace for Cj2K.

22. neva4get5 says: Mar 15, 2013 12:04 PM

I actually meant to add McFadin’…

23. neva4get5 says: Mar 15, 2013 12:06 PM

I have to agree with SWill2013, the VEST is KILLA!

24. neva4get5 says: Mar 15, 2013 12:08 PM

Tundey, IF we actually had a real DC… we would have been top 10 in Def.

25. buddysguys says: Mar 15, 2013 12:18 PM

exactly LOOK TOUGH…you picked up one actual decent palyer in Levitre the rest are scrubs

26. modellforprez says: Mar 15, 2013 12:19 PM

you hear that Munchack now go get Terrence Mcquewick his playoffs

27. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Mar 15, 2013 12:19 PM

I love Bud Adams, He’s crazy, flips off opposing teams, bags 25 year old chicks and is a full blown silver haired pimp. Need more of him

28. skinsdiehard says: Mar 15, 2013 12:36 PM

————————-
    Really? You say out the other side of your mouth that it’s stupid for certain owners to the throw the cash around. Clown reporter!

29. sirsupersouthern says: Mar 15, 2013 12:41 PM

I’m not a Titans fan, but I like Bud Adams…

30. raiderapologist says: Mar 15, 2013 1:32 PM

andthereuhaveit says: Mar 15, 2013 11:48 AM

raiderapologist says:
    Mar 15, 2013 11:28 AM
    ————————————-
    Two words.

Jamarcus. Russell.
    ————–
    If every fan of every team that made a bad decision wasn’t allowed to comment, there wouldn’t be any. PFT’s page hits would go down, and Florio would be sad. We don’t want that.

31. c1md6 says: Mar 15, 2013 4:14 PM

I still laugh thinking about bud Adams when he flipped off the entire bills sideline from the sky box.

32. ephillips122 says: Mar 15, 2013 4:34 PM

Beyond Levitre, how much of an impact do you expect from these guys?

33. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 15, 2013 7:24 PM

Bud wears the shades so passerbys will think he is blind, and give him a little leeway on the way he dresses himself.

34. jimw42 says: Mar 15, 2013 8:36 PM

Bud and his boys expect these additions will get him a super bowl ring. same story every year