Daunte Culpepper faces foreclosure

CulpepperGetty Getty Images

Despite making tens of millions of dollars in his NFL career, Daunte Culpepper appears to be facing financial difficulties.

According to the South Florida Business Journal, a bank filed a foreclosure lawsuit last month against Culpepper, alleging that he has not been making payments on a $2.93 million mortgage he took out in 2006. He is also being sued for unpaid dues to the homeowners’ association of a gated community in which he owns a home.

Culpepper got a $16 million signing bonus in 2003 as part of what was advertised as a 10-year, $102 million contract with the Vikings. But after a good 2003 season and a great 2004 season, he struggled in 2005, suffered a serious knee injury and was traded to the Dolphins.

After one season in Miami, Culpepper played one more season in Oakland and then two seasons in Detroit. He has attempted other comebacks but hasn’t seen the field for any team other than the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
69 Responses to “Daunte Culpepper faces foreclosure”
  1. skins716 says: Mar 16, 2013 1:37 PM

I’m stunned, lol

2. goraidersgospurs says: Mar 16, 2013 1:38 PM

still getting his Roll on!!

3. fumblenuts says: Mar 16, 2013 1:39 PM

“Culpepper got a $16 million signing bonus in 2003 as part of what was advertised as a 10-year, $102 million contract with the Vikings.”

And now he’s BROKE?

WOW! LOL!

4. chemicaltoilet says: Mar 16, 2013 1:39 PM

Everyone get your foreclosure on!

5. 69finfan says: Mar 16, 2013 1:39 PM

Shocking!

6. waitstop says: Mar 16, 2013 1:41 PM

He bought that house two years before the housing bubble hit and in Florida no less. It probably made more financial sense to let them foreclose than trying to keep it. He doesn’t seem like the type that would be an idiot with his money.

7. gergie1957 says: Mar 16, 2013 1:41 PM

After he thanked the guy from Carolina for blowing out his knee to get him out of Minnesota. This does not surprise
    me.

8. 49ers6rings says: Mar 16, 2013 1:42 PM

This guy couldn’t even make $1 million a year work for him? Why didn’t he just buy the property upright in 2003? Why do these instant millionaires pay mortgages, I’ll never understand. Why do they want to rent from the banks?

9. kane337 says: Mar 16, 2013 1:42 PM

Well that’s just turrible.

10. GenXJay says: Mar 16, 2013 1:43 PM

Sad story.
    Must’ve picked up the bad habit of foreclosing in Detroit.

11. vikings1976 says: Mar 16, 2013 1:45 PM

Get your roll on Pep!

12. ickky says: Mar 16, 2013 1:46 PM

should have hired an agent

13. whatjusthapped says: Mar 16, 2013 1:46 PM

The good ol’ captain of the Love Boat need not despair. He can go back to giving tours on the healing waters of Lake Minnetonka. I’m sure the good fans of the Vikings are willing to support one of their legends down on his luck.

But in interest of full disclosure, the newly revived Love Boat tours will be like the Viking fan’s own marriage, no sex this time around.

14. fpimentel72 says: Mar 16, 2013 1:47 PM

Don’t know why that he would have problems like that, T.O. have the same issue but T.O. is just stupid, Culpepper is smarter than that, but I guess that not the case anymore, really don’t know why players can be that stupid.

15. taintedsaints2009 says: Mar 16, 2013 1:47 PM

Daunte was a pretty good qb for the vikes before that knee injury. He and moss had a good thing going. shame it didnt continue because it probably still would be going today. Too bad that he hit such a downfall so quickly after that horrible knee injury. I still can see the replay of the hit and of him trying to walk off the field, buckling. Yikes.

16. Sackville Rc says: Mar 16, 2013 1:47 PM

Sorry to hear this, I hope it makes the current crop of players realize, the money usually stops, when your career is done.

17. joetoronto says: Mar 16, 2013 1:49 PM

It’s the same old song and dance with these bombo’s.

SMH.

18. purplehayseuss says: Mar 16, 2013 1:50 PM

Cue the idiots claiming with absolute authority that this is the direct result of his time in Minnesota.

19. kylexitron says: Mar 16, 2013 1:57 PM

Maybe if the Player’s Association actually cared about the players they would make it mandatory for players to meet regularly with financial advisors, knowing that most of these players are going to go from, for the most part, very bare-bones college education to being millionairs.

While I’m not sitting here with a bleeding heart feeling sorry for them, I think even the most financially responsible of us here could have probably found a way to screw up getting millions of dollars handed to us in our early 20′s.

20. thepunkyqb says: Mar 16, 2013 1:59 PM

I frankly don’t feel bad at all for him or any of these other morons that think their sheit doesn’t stink and spends money lavishly on assinine things like 300K pinky rings, etc. “A fool and his money shall soon be parted” Daunte, I would like that to go please. and throw in some ranch with those fries. LOL

21. chief67 says: Mar 16, 2013 2:00 PM

What would be wrong with buying a half million house in cash , when you get a 16 million dollar paycheck ?

22. fdugrad says: Mar 16, 2013 2:02 PM

Another member in good standing of the SAPP, TO, VY Algonquin Round Table. Next to the number of players picked up for DUI, this issue, the squandering of tens of million dollars, in such a short period of time is the most baffling and difficult for me to grasp. It clearly points to hubris, lack of common sense and absence of formal education so many players possess. I long for the day when the NCAA is scrutinized over allowing kids, who have NO business matriculating to ANY college in the country. This typical and growing end result clearly involves every institution that treats a college education in terms of eligibility to play rather than stringent academic requirements for ALL who are accepted into their halls of higher learning.

23. indpa67 says: Mar 16, 2013 2:06 PM

Gee……a professional athlete that makes millions of dollars, broke again…..what a surprise. I refuse to feel bad for these idiots. I wonder if all the people he more than likely doled money too are going to help him out….no way, as soon as it dries up, they are gone!!

24. huskersrock1 says: Mar 16, 2013 2:08 PM

Why do they even bother paying these guys? They should just give then nightclub credit and pay for their condo and auto lease.

25. redmanalishi says: Mar 16, 2013 2:09 PM

With all the intensive effort spent on teaching these kids how to play NFL football, I think it is shameful that they can’t also teach them how to manage a cheque book or do a budget. Same goes for any non-athlete coming out of high school. It’s like kids are oblivious to handling money in real life. That signing bonus should have lasted him and his grand kids forever. Whether you have $16 million or 16 cents in the bank, I guess it is just as easy to be stupid and spend yourself broke. At least the banks post good profits on the interest and foreclosures.

26. samoanjungle says: Mar 16, 2013 2:12 PM

I’ve always thought if I win the lotto or something the first thing I will do is stupid-proof my financial future. Buy my house and car with cash and have some type of trust fund set up that pays me so much per year for the rest of my life. Then I can play with whatever money I earn other than that.
    These guys seem to think this kind of money is always going to be rolling in then bam, there goes your knee.
    The first big contract they get they should stash for the future. If IF there is a second one, there is your play money.

27. butthatmakestoomuchsense says: Mar 16, 2013 2:13 PM

Cracks me up how small minded people get erections over the misfortunes of others.

28. jessethegreat says: Mar 16, 2013 2:14 PM

Never would have expected this from him. Just a few short years ago he was wearing mink coats to pressers and once lost a $25,000 earing on the field at Qualcomm against the chargers.

29. matthewcarlson1 says: Mar 16, 2013 2:15 PM

Lol at that douche talking about the love boat thing. It was like 10 years ago loser, get over it.

30. jlv3gem says: Mar 16, 2013 2:16 PM

He didn’t get all of that 102 million, not even close; but damn he still shouldn’t be broke.

31. mnnightowl says: Mar 16, 2013 2:19 PM

Must have been managing his finances from a strip mall, just like his knee rehab.

32. riverhorsey says: Mar 16, 2013 2:23 PM

the NFLPA needs to set all these guys up w approved financial advisers. It should be mandatory.

Everyone knows for a lot of these guys college was nothing more than a way to the NFL.

33. CKL says: Mar 16, 2013 2:26 PM

kylexitron says:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:57 PM

_________________________________
    I am not sure what if anything the NFLPA does on that score (probably nothing, their main functions seem to be collecting huge dues and tilting at windmills). Certainly I see nothing wrong with their providing guidance there, but making anything MANDATORY rubs me the wrong way. Adults should ALWAYS have to pay the cost of their bad decisions. They are talked to in the Rookie Symposium. The ones who need to listen don’t. I’m not into babysitting grownups.

And no, financially responsible people would not have blown the money. Financially responsible people wouldn’t be called that if they would. It’s really not difficult. Don’t live up to your salary let alone beyond it especially if you have a job with a short shelf life like athlete or model. If you don’t have the money for it, don’t finance it via credit card or anything else, excepting an income appropriate house and car. Period. The end.

34. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 16, 2013 2:29 PM

This is the first time I’ve seen an article about Culpepper with the timeline correct….he was TERRIBLE before blowing out his knee. Not BECAUSE of blowing out his knee.

35. gbpakrfan says: Mar 16, 2013 2:39 PM

Goes to sho how gud uf a ejuhbukayshun tha git wen tha have thair hands helld frum hi skool throo kolige!

36. rgledz says: Mar 16, 2013 2:49 PM

Hey tfbuckfutter…..he threw 39 touchdown passes and ran in 3 in 2004. Ya, that’s pretty terrible. He started off badly in 2005 because the O line was awful, hence him running for his life and having Chris Gamble dive into the side of his knee and ruin his career. Not took mention the fact that Moss was traded that previous off season and he had nobody to throw too. Thanks for your insight though.

37. packerbackernj says: Mar 16, 2013 2:51 PM

kylexitron says:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:57 PM

___________________

Should people who win the lottery be forced into this too? Where do we draw the line of personal responsibility. If you don’t learn, with 2-4 years of college education, that the amount of money you have is x, they amount of money you spend is y, when y exceeds x, you’re going to be broke. People like you make me sick. How much coddling do grown ass men need. I didn’t grow up well off, and the fact i didn’t grow up well off, i learned not to spend above my means. These players are just stupid. You can’t cure stupid.

38. thetooloftools says: Mar 16, 2013 2:53 PM

Randy Moss made this man.

39. immafubared says: Mar 16, 2013 2:55 PM

Took our daughter to the Vikes/Lions game when Cul was in his prime.
    I was shocked at his speed. Hell I ran track and didn’t think I could have outrun this guy in my prime.

Anyways my daughter the Lions fan sat there watching them get beat again and I leaned over and sad, the only thing about this Culpepper guy, he has the frame and bone size to really put on a lot of weight if he isn’t careful. Once that happens, he loses a step or two and his feet are what saves him, then his career is toast.

Ya about two years later his ass was wider than a Minnesota Snow Shovel and his carreer slided downhill from there.

40. kingmj4891 says: Mar 16, 2013 2:55 PM

49ers6rings says:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:42 PM

____________________________

Its called the time value of money a dollar today is worth more then tomorrow. As an accountant I can tell you lots of people that have lots of money use mortgages and loans to purchase while investing their cash for a higher rate of return. However, with bad spending habits, poor markets and risky investing it does not always work out to ones advantage. Even with a prudent and solid financial manger it does not work out well. Considering that Dante was his own agent makes me think he did most of this on his own with any advice and he overspent and went broke.

41. alanboy395 says: Mar 16, 2013 2:57 PM

waitstop says:
    Mar 16, 2013 1:41 PM

Very fair point. But let the assumption of “another retired player being stupid with his money” continue.

42. paulcanavati says: Mar 16, 2013 2:59 PM

This is just sad. I long for the days of him throwing bombs to Moss

43. west4420 says: Mar 16, 2013 3:08 PM

No tears for this guy. At a certain point you can’t blame anyone for your troubles. That age is 18.

This guy could’ve easily set himself and 2 or 3 generations of his family up for future success and opportunities by investing in the most basic and conservative ways. I’m talking job opportunties, investments in actual businesses that family and friends can work at, tuition, education,etc.

Way to go bro.

44. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 16, 2013 3:09 PM

rgledz says: Mar 16, 2013 2:49 PM

——————————

That’s all well and good…or would be…if Brad Johnson hadn’t gone 7-2 with a QB rating of 89 WITH THE SAME TEAM.

45. johnnyb216 says: Mar 16, 2013 3:14 PM

Another Viking loser exposed.

46. sambradfordismyhomeboy says: Mar 16, 2013 3:19 PM

Dez Bryant… Stop buyin’ up all the bling… This is your wake-up call…

47. stellarperformance says: Mar 16, 2013 3:22 PM

Concussion lawsuit forthcoming.

48. GenXJay says: Mar 16, 2013 3:28 PM

gbpkrfan…what is it that your trying to say?
    Are you asking for a Baby Ruth?

…whatjusthappened, please interpret this GreenBay garble. He speaks your football tongue.

49. petehemlock says: Mar 16, 2013 3:54 PM

Maybe he could have a future on some free credit check commercials.

50. strokeytheclown says: Mar 16, 2013 3:55 PM

I’m a retired Army vet on an NCO’s pension, I manage to keep my house. I feel no sympathy for the guy.

51. packerhater says: Mar 16, 2013 3:56 PM

gbpakrfan says:Mar 16, 2013 2:39 PM

Someone needs to go back to school.

52. latenightroach says: Mar 16, 2013 3:57 PM

Maybe Randy Moss can loan him some money.

53. 69finfan says: Mar 16, 2013 4:01 PM

What is a bombo?

54. kabasaman says: Mar 16, 2013 4:02 PM

Man, I cannot get over how stupid some of these guys are… When you get all that money maybe you should try to “save” some for a rainy day.
    I just don’t get these clowns at the draft wearing $100K watches just to be the blingiest dude there. Their momma’s need to tell these big, dumn, rich dudes. Save your cash for when your old and fat. Which in most cases comes sooner than later.

55. valhalla2013 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:04 PM

Yea…Randy carried his water in Minny can a brother get some more love?

56. leggett17 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:15 PM

Couldn’t happen to a smarter guy.

57. nzaz says: Mar 16, 2013 4:17 PM

So much subversive racism on this board.

58. gbpakrfan says: Mar 16, 2013 4:25 PM

packerhater…..I think you can figure out what was said. If not, then I believe someone else needs to go back to school.

59. zn0rseman says: Mar 16, 2013 4:28 PM

Once Cullpepper lost Randy Moss, Robert Smith and Chris Carter, he showed his true colors. He was never all that good and he folded like a lawn chair in ever big game.

60. mjkelly77 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:29 PM

Another broke football player. There’s nothing to see here. Move along, people.

61. daubs17 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:47 PM

butthatmakestoomuchsense says:
    Mar 16, 2013 2:13 PM

Small minded people? You’ve got to be kidding me what a joke.
    A misfortune is a family having a miscarriage. A misfortune is someone losing their job. Sorry getting paid tens of millions of dollars then squandering it on the most ridiculous and absurd lifestyle you could possibly imagine doesn’t fall into the above categories.

Its the sorry, excuse filled people like you that have just as skewed version of reality as these moronic athletes that you actually have sympathy for them. Ok dude

62. zeeman911 says: Mar 16, 2013 5:01 PM

He was his own agent, so he never lost the 10% either…

63. sportsnut101 says: Mar 16, 2013 5:32 PM

Guess he didn’t listen To randy mosS I pay it straight cash hommie

But the reason they don’t buy it straight out with cash is due to tax benefit n they need it cuz they get taxed in 10 ten states most of the time. But still no excuse why he couldn’t pay it

Real simple automatic payments straight from ur bank account

64. therealzeitgeist says: Mar 16, 2013 5:46 PM

I remember the whole media-bomblet when Daunte went to some charity thing and gave a wheel-chair bound kid a million dollar necklace.

But it turned out to be just a show for the cameras, and the woebegone kid had to give the necklace back to Daunte – and Daunte did take it back.

What comes around goes around, Daunte.

65. vikesfansteve says: Mar 17, 2013 9:30 AM

Hope things turn around for the better

66. medialovesthecowboys says: Mar 17, 2013 1:34 PM

Struggled in 2005, you say?
    Hmmm, when did Randy Moss leave the Vikings? Yeah…that’s what I thought. He always been a hack.

67. fluffy19 says: Mar 17, 2013 1:40 PM

A brief history lesson for those claiming he was made by moss, carter, smith…his best year was w/o carter or smith and moss missed a big portion of that season. His main target was jermaine wiggins if I’m not mistaken. He sucked after that anyway, so who cares, but that he was pretty spectacular. As for this house, I heard he gave up on the property because the door knobs were too large for his small fingers.

68. filthymcnasty1 says: Mar 17, 2013 8:11 PM

Culpepper didn’t bruise as easily as Ponder.

69. vegasviking33 says: Mar 24, 2013 4:32 AM

To all you dummies out there who think that just because you file for bankruptcy or foreclosure means you are broke. Well it doesn’t. Depending on your situation it sometimes smarter to walk away from homes that are underwater and aren’t worth what you originally paid for them. In essence bankruptcy just means you don’t want creditors to “take your money”. As long as the law allows it, why not? Most of you are just hoping these guys are broke simply because you are. Lol.