Death threats be damned, Vick resumes book tour

hi-res-158819189_crop_exact Getty Images

Eagles quarterback Mike Vick recently canceled his book tour due to death threats that were deemed credible.  Vick has now resumed his public effort to sell more copies of his autobiography, Finally Free.

And Vick had some strong words for those who are still upset about the fact that he engaged in a six-year habit of fighting dogs and killing dogs that were deemed unfit to fight.

“Why would you continue to bash somebody who’s trying to help make the world a better place?” Vick told Robert Klemko of USA Today.

“A lot of people are sick and tired of hearing about my past, because there are so many other problems that are going on in this world that need to have attention drawn to them,” Vick said.  “People are dying every day, children are being killed, going to jail.  Not to say I overlook what I’ve done, but I try to do outreach as a positive.”

Actually, the people most sick and tired of hearing about Vick’s past are the ones who blindly accepted his defiant professions of innocence and then, when it turned out he was lying to them and everyone else, shrugged it all off by saying, “It’s just dogs.”

Vick also explained the reason for postponing the book tour.

“It wasn’t so much fear, but you have to take precaution for yourself and your family, and for other people as well,” Vick said. “I knew a lot of people were going to be at the signings, and I didn’t want to put anyone in jeopardy.

“I think the small fraction of people who are still making these derogatory comments and thinking irrationally, they’re in a league of their own.  But we won’t let it stop us from what we’re trying to do. . . .

“We’re definitely going to finish the book tour,” Vick added. “Even if it happens again, we’re still going to move forward, but we’ll do it in a totally different way.  The book is doing great because of all the attention it’s gotten in the last couple days, so what more can I ask for?”

He’s apparently asking for people to completely forget what he did, and labeling those who won’t do that as “irrational.”  Actually, plenty of rational minds have lingering concerns about the lifestyle Vick led from 2001 through 2007 — and which he still may have been leading if he hadn’t gotten caught.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
65 Responses to “Death threats be damned, Vick resumes book tour”
  1. marionbarber24isgod says: Mar 16, 2013 4:37 PM

You kick my dog.

2. blacknole08 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:38 PM

Look, I’m a pet owner myself, and I definitely understand why people are so upset over what Vick did. But those people who threatened his life are NO BETTER than he is.

The man paid his debt to society and has been shunned. At least give the man a chance to redeem himself.

3. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 16, 2013 4:39 PM

How courageous.

4. apollo1989 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:42 PM

Regardless of how one feels about what Vick did (it was pretty awful), death threats is a pretty low and petty thing to do. It makes you no better then the person who committed the crimes.

5. lightcleric says: Mar 16, 2013 4:43 PM

What he did was horrible, but the man has done his time, he’s been genuinely contrite about what he did, and he’s bent over backwards to do the right thing since then.

It’s totally understandable to dislike him, but death threats make you worse than the guy you still hate…

6. joshtanney says: Mar 16, 2013 4:45 PM

Good to see it back on. I’m not perfect by any means, so I wish Vick the best of luck in his life.

7. jamesfield74 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:47 PM

I don’t know that Vick thinks people should forget what he did, but calling people who make death threats irrational is a gross understatement.

While what he did was awful, making anonymous death threats is pathetic. The people who do that are worse than Vick, he at least paid a price for what he did. Whether or not it was sufficient was decided in court.

8. ryancloud says: Mar 16, 2013 4:49 PM

Anyone that resorts to death threats is at best a weak human being. However, those threats shouldn’t distract and blind others to the fact that Vick is a scumbag who should still be in prison.

9. Chris Sprague says: Mar 16, 2013 4:50 PM

“and which he still may have been leading if he hadn’t gotten caught.”

But he did, and now he isn’t, so back off and give the man a chance. I hope these people who think they’re hard by playing the “I’ll never forgive him” routine have their skeletons fall out of the proverbial closet on them. They’ll be the first ones screaming, “Everyone deserves a second chance!”

10. vaphinfan says: Mar 16, 2013 4:55 PM

I would buy the book if he physically wrote it himself.

11. ginop0981 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:56 PM

I don’t think Vick is asking anyone to forget completely what he did. I think he’s saying that people who want to kill him or threaten to kill him are disregarded to him as idiots because that’s what they are. They are no different then gang members who go online threating people. It’s funny how the media will try to twist things just to start a war of words!

12. bigbluefan11 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:56 PM

He is a degenerate who cruelly harmed defenseless animals. He may have rehabilitated his image, but a flawed character like that does not truly change. When his next concussion ends his career, it won’t be long until we’re reading about his assets being seized and auctioned off. Once out of the spotlight, he will return to his degenerate ways.

13. atsbuzz says: Mar 16, 2013 4:58 PM

He’s a scumbag. Always has been. But karma has taken its revenge on him.

As a Falcon fan I say forget him and let him fade away into “what might have been” obscurity.

14. ken0west says: Mar 16, 2013 5:01 PM

Vick deserves to be treated like a sub human and ridiculed at every possible turn. Id prefer people stay within the law, but if something crazy happens he would be partially responsible.

“doing your time” refers to the law, not public opinion, he has not and should never be forgiven for his actions.

15. gmenmunny says: Mar 16, 2013 5:05 PM

Those people are in a league of their own??

Death threats? There’s no death threats in dog fighting!

16. ososrule says: Mar 16, 2013 5:07 PM

I don’t know…..If I made millions of dollars and was in the public eye, I wouldn’t beg people to forget about something as serious as his mistake. You made the bed so sleep in it and stop trying to cover up you carelessness, irresponsibility and animal abuse. Yea you went to jail, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t kill all those innocent dogs…..

17. thegonz13 says: Mar 16, 2013 5:08 PM

Just out of curiosity… What noteworthy things -other than going to jail- has this guy done to merit an autobiography?

18. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 16, 2013 5:14 PM

Vick paid a pretty heavy price for something that wasn’t even considered a crime in most States at the time he did it. If memory serves me correct.

19. bobby2478 says: Mar 16, 2013 5:16 PM

Alright Florio, we get it. You don’t like Vick. You probably never did, and probably never will. But the guy paid his debt to society, and has changed his life around.

The point you and the incessant Vick bashers overlook is the fact he eventually did own up to his mistakes. He went to prison for 2 years, and lost over $100 Million dollars in the process. Now that he’s out, he’s been working to bring awareness to the problem of animal abuse and trying to prevent other animals from being abused.

Most people convicted of animal cruelty get little more then a slap on the wrist and they walk. NONE of them spend 2+ years in FEDERAL PRISON, and NONE of them lose anything close to $100 Million dollars.

He did commit a crime, he admits to it, and he paid a heavy price for it. None of this negates what he did, but he has paid more for his mistakes then any non-celebrity in his position ever would.

20. feloniusfarter says: Mar 16, 2013 5:19 PM

I’m wondering if all those who have forgiven Vick for killing dogs in a extremely cruel fashion, will also forgive those who are threatening him (after they apologize of course).

21. larryboodry says: Mar 16, 2013 5:25 PM

“He’s apparently asking for people to completely forget what he did, and labeling those who won’t do that as ‘irrational’.”
    ————————————————

Like everyone else, I view what he did as horrible, but the man did his time and has tried to turn his life around…He did not say that people who still remember his actions are irrational, just the lowlifes making death threats.

Michael Vick is not a person I’d ever wish to meet, nor will I read his book, but those idiots threatening his life need to do jail time of their own.

22. tfrancisco77 says: Mar 16, 2013 5:43 PM

The secret life of Ron Mexico.

Spreading the herp and enduring death threats…a true hero

23. woodywoodpecker123 says: Mar 16, 2013 5:50 PM

Hes a horrible person and an even worse quaterback!!!!!!

24. ninthwardfriend says: Mar 16, 2013 5:55 PM

Dam a dog slave owners used to kill us if we were deemed unfit. You whites like to forget this country’s horrible past. Let the man live.

25. bigbluefan1 says: Mar 16, 2013 6:08 PM

Words that just do not go together Mike Vick and book?

I do not think this clown should make a dollar off of what he did nor do I think he has the right to play in the NFL.
    You can not get a job at Costcos with a federal rap sheet.

No one should have there life threatened Mike will pay for his crimes when his days are done and he burn is he double hockey sticks.

Also how do you know the threats had anything to do with his past maybe he has current issues that are catching up to him.

26. thejuddstir says: Mar 16, 2013 6:13 PM

Nobody had even heard of Vick’s book and to drum up publicity his agent pulled a “manti te’o” .

27. boogymanoflamancha says: Mar 16, 2013 6:15 PM

Who goes on a book tour to shill a book that came out 18 months ago…the author of a book that no one is reading.

28. skoobyfl says: Mar 16, 2013 6:16 PM

Kerpal thinks Vick kicked his dog.

29. razorbyrd says: Mar 16, 2013 6:17 PM

I’m interested to see if the people who say “he’s scum and shouldn’t be allowed to breathe” feel the same way about Donte Stallworth, Big Ben, or Kobe Bryant…

30. jmays77 says: Mar 16, 2013 6:20 PM

Sometimes it takes being caught to change. Death threats are irrational. The ill will towards Vick isn’t. But if you’re trying to move forward wouldn’t you get tired of the threats?

31. phillyphannn83 says: Mar 16, 2013 6:24 PM

read his book Gonz and you’ll have your answer.

32. macjacmccoy says: Mar 16, 2013 6:25 PM

thegonz13 says:
    Mar 16, 2013 5:08 PM

Holding the Record as the All Time Leading Rusher as a QB in NFL History?

And

Holding the Record for Most Rushing Yards by a QB in a Single Season in NFL History?

33. imback03 says: Mar 16, 2013 6:29 PM

Well …. To be fair, they are just dogs, and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. This mentality is a big problem and you are helping perpetuate it. 1000 dogs does not = 1 human life.

34. vikescry1 says: Mar 16, 2013 6:34 PM

let’s move on already…..

35. truetarheelfan says: Mar 16, 2013 6:42 PM

All of you people are funny.. if something bad happend thats karma? He cant change because he is a degenerate… I wonder if he was say justin beiber would you be as harsh? You know what scratch that if it was your family member would you beg for mercy? Say he just made a horrible decision? Probably. My point? You all seem so quick to hold on and be the judge. When none of us are perfect here is a fact for you. Allllll of us habe done something that could potentially end us up behind bars… before you go getting all huffed up and self righteous on me and bash me remember this… if you have ever gone 13 mph over a posted speed limit in mowt states its punishable by 120 days in prison. Now what he did was horrible no doubt about it I own 2 dogs myself a doberman and a chichi… the animals are innocent and he deserved to be punished… he accepted responcibility and took his punishment like a real guilty person should. No excuses just a real apology and a promise to be better once he got out.. he has done exactly that. You people strike me as jealous and envious. What would you have him do? Bury his head and apologize for the rest of his life? Tell everyone how horrible of a man he is for the rest of his life? No… you fall down we allll have he got back up. At some point you all did or will fall and have to get back up. I pray that when you fall people are more merciful to you than you were and are to vick.

36. chi01town says: Mar 16, 2013 7:05 PM

The people sending these threats should be carefull not to run up on
    Vick. they might end up like one of
    them pitbulls.

37. ronbelle says: Mar 16, 2013 7:20 PM

It is horrifying to see Men , Women judge each other like we are all saints . Not one man or woman can say that they have a clean history of not doing some either in the dark or in the public eye . We can’t continue to judge a person if or less we be judge in our own indeavors. Who do we think we are to speak of ending a mans life due to what he done in a past , should we be equel to the same judgement when you cheat , steal , lie, hate , lust, & even murder unwanted babies throw abortion ? The list goes on but how much longer should this situation regarding Vick carry on ? Until some judge mental person do the same thing Vick did which is take a life . The point if view is look at yourself in the mirror & find out what Demons are in your corner before you can ever attempt to decipher another person fait. We die alone , so worry about yourself !

38. biglaj007 says: Mar 16, 2013 7:28 PM

Man, if I was a football player & some crazy people makes a death threat against me, I won’t worry. I’ll just make sure I come prepared & ready to defend myself, I would go on TV & dare anyone to make attempt on my life.

39. lou2730 says: Mar 16, 2013 7:42 PM

If those sympathetic are so forgiving I suggest you go back and look at what this freak did to defenseless dogs….he bought his way out of jail and if these death threats bothers him so much, why is still pimpin’ his book? To pay back those that ripped off? Burn.

40. deepbacksidedig says: Mar 16, 2013 7:44 PM

Looks like a PR stunt for a poorly attended tour.
    “A lot of people are sick and tired of hearing about my past, …”
    Yup. That is why nobody is buying the book, or going to the book tour events.

41. randallflagg52 says: Mar 16, 2013 7:48 PM

thegreatgabbert says:
    Mar 16, 2013 5:14 PM

===================================

Vick is lucky they let him off easy. If they pursued the charges for all the illegal gambling that went on, instead of focusing on the dog torture, he’d still be sitting in a cell at Leavenworth.

42. tedmurph says: Mar 16, 2013 7:52 PM

sic ‘em

43. bigbluefan11 says: Mar 16, 2013 8:13 PM

I call him a degenerate because of the acts of cruelty he is capable of. He knocked out the teeth of the ‘sparring dogs’ with a hammer so they couldn’t fight back against the ‘fighting dogs.’ WITHOUT ANESTHESIA. A couple of years in jail and a few speeches don’t correct that deeply flawed a character. Imagine the dog wailing in pain while he continues to knock out it’s teeth. DEEPLY flawed character. Degenerate. He may have paid his debt to society, but he need to keep his mouth shut, play football, and save the phony redemption efforts for people that will buy it. I never will.

To answer the person who asked my reaction if it was a member of my family. If his character was that deeply flawed, I’d disown him. You can’t come back from that. Most serial killers start with acts of animal cruelty. I’m not saying is capable of that, I don’t want to think he is, but he is deeply damaged and I believe beyond anything but painting a public picture of false redemption for profit.

44. rg3srestrainingorderonlogicalvoices says: Mar 16, 2013 8:23 PM

“I have to make sure this tour goes through to pay off my dept…..I mean, I mean, make sure my story is told. Like Rocky, a lesser philly icon than myself, after all, I play “Lights out” said : If I can change, and you can change, then everyone can change!”

45. madtownthrowdown says: Mar 16, 2013 8:38 PM

I’m surprised this book would even sell. Can people who care to read about this idiot actually read? If so, they sure fooled me!

46. truetarheelfan says: Mar 16, 2013 8:39 PM

Actually the book is doing pretty good and for all those thinking he is doing this to pay off the debts…. he already had paid back all monies he owed to creditors. I cant speak as to why he wrote the book… maybe to tell his side of the story you know in all the bashing he never even attempted to tell his side but idk why

47. hoochbcs says: Mar 16, 2013 8:43 PM

There was never any death threats. Complete sham by the publisher. When the book tour was first announced, it garnered very little press but it’s cancellation and predictable revival will be everywhere.

A well played pr scam.

48. boogerhut says: Mar 16, 2013 8:48 PM

You’re right Vick. People are sick of hearing about your past. So why the F would they buy your book. People with the brain structure to watch Jersey Shores and the Kardashians are the exception, not the rule. You want to make the world a better place? Fade away like your football ability. To a dog lover you are no different than a child rapist that “did his time”. You will always be the kind of person that many people don’t even want in their state.

49. skinsgal4life says: Mar 16, 2013 8:51 PM

As much as I hate the guy, I certainly don’t wish him dead because of his past deeds. I’d much rather continue to see him beat up on the football field.

50. o0omorriso0o says: Mar 16, 2013 9:05 PM

Florio i have lost what little respect cur u i had. You have an issue with what vick said? How? How can u condone death threats? Those people are delusional. Vick said the right things. If anything he showed amazing restraint.

As far as u people bashing vick… U guys get pretty damn classless with ur taste of words. Bashing, threatening him makes u look worse than he is which i am sure is not your guys intent.

Grow up already… You too florio!!!

51. codiablo says: Mar 16, 2013 9:36 PM

For Shame! Vick and his publishing company shouldn’t profit off the f’d up sh@t he did.

But I’m not buying it, nor am I buying, Cap’n Ahab’s, “50 years of profiteering of whale’s and how dirty a scab am I, yarrr!”

52. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 16, 2013 10:06 PM

Forget the animal lovers, if Vick plays next season like he did last season, he will need protection from irate Eagle fans.

53. seadawgs72 says: Mar 16, 2013 10:10 PM

There is never an excuse for death threats period. However, i do understand the rage behind it. He paid his debt for his psycho crime & now he’s gonna profit from it. If it hasn’t occurred to him why people can’t get past it while the dollars come in directly as a result of those crimes by selling the stories. Maybe he should “axe”somebody.

54. fjc1872 says: Mar 16, 2013 10:41 PM

All you stake eating phony animal lovers screaming you can’t forgive him, shut up Donte Stalworth killed a person drunk driving an only went to jail for 30 days… And you think its okay that some cowardly punk. Threatened him and his family, was the 3 year old dog fighting to??? Morons!!!!!

55. asublimeday says: Mar 16, 2013 10:44 PM

I don’t want him to be killed. I don’t want him to be hurt. I don’t want him out of the league.

I want him to continue to play for the scummiest organization in the NFL, for the most obnoxious fan base with the most unrealistic expectations…

And I want him to continue to fail. This is the best revenge for everything he’s done. Complete, miserable failure. Fumbles, interceptions, nagging injuries.

Hilarious.

56. CKL says: Mar 17, 2013 4:42 AM

_______________________________
    This is one of the best sentences I’ve seen that you’ve ever written, Florio. And certainly some of the posts below this topic confirm it 100%.

@ randallflagg

Vick did 0 minutes in jail for any animal cruelty. He was actually convicted of the gambling related charges you mention. The prosecutor in his home state decided not to pursue the animal cruelty aspect IIRC.

57. espfdps says: Mar 17, 2013 9:24 AM

No he’s not asking for people to forget what he did. He’s asking not to have his life threatened from mistakes he’s made. Sounds pretty rational to me.

58. theeultimate says: Mar 17, 2013 9:34 AM

by the way, he financed it. he wasn’t fighting them

59. numberonesaintsfan says: Mar 17, 2013 10:20 AM

Vick is” trying to make the world a better place”? Really? Did he manage to say that with a straight face? Vick is just trying to make as much money as possible before his career is over(can’t fault him for that). I won’t waste my time or money on your book Mike,but good luck to you. By the way,I’d put the over/under for the end of Vick’s time as a starting QB at mid November/13

60. jeff6381 says: Mar 17, 2013 10:41 AM

I don’t Vick is saying forget what he did but I think he is telling people to move on. He is turning a negative onto a positive by working with youth and working with different organizations as a result of his actions. There are people who can change and just maybe he has.

61. n0hopeleft says: Mar 17, 2013 7:00 PM

thegreatgabbert says: Mar 16, 2013 5:14 PM

Vick paid a pretty heavy price for something that wasn’t even considered a crime in most States at the time he did it. If memory serves me correctly..

Yup, and you’re a total dbag.

62. bsmvideos says: Mar 18, 2013 6:55 AM

He’s apparently asking for people to completely forget what he did, and labeling those who won’t do that as “irrational.” Actually, plenty of rational minds have lingering concerns about the lifestyle Vick led from 2001 through 2007 — and which he still may have been leading if he hadn’t gotten caught.

Lingering concerns??? Do those same people have lingering concerns about Ben Ruthlessburger rapping young women. Did they have lingering concerns about ray lewis?? Neither of those players lost $100 contract and had to serve jail time.

That is the difference. This celebrity actually paid for his crime, and you still just can’t let it go. People get baptisted every day, asking God to forget all of their sins. You have to forgive others who have repented before you can receive the same gift. It’s not that hard to understand.

63. kelz1966kelz1966 says: Mar 18, 2013 7:36 AM

The threats are a hoax to make him look like a victim and draw attention to his book that has been on sale for months and no one knew about it.

64. fjc1872 says: Mar 18, 2013 6:11 PM

Save it you stake eating phonies, You hate him because he was rich and black.. dog fighting sucks but if the crule death of the dogs offend you see what happens to cows for your daily hamburger.

65. patssteelersorgiants says: Mar 18, 2013 7:58 PM

Really I’m only surprised Vick has any fans who know how to read…