Steven Jackson considered retirement

Steven Jackson AP

After running back Steven Jackson left the Rams but before he joined the Falcons, he considered another option.

I was thinking about maybe retiring,” Jackson said Friday, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.  “I really considered that. . . .  I really contemplated ‘do I continue to play football’ or ‘do I retire.’  That’s one thing I admire about Barry Sanders.”

Jackson, who has played one less season than Sanders did, ultimately decided to keep going.  And that’s good news for the Falcons.

“I have a never-[say]-die attitude,” Jackson said.  “That is something that I plan on bringing to this team.  They don’t need much; they are already a good team. . . .  I’ll try to bring leadership and that relentlessness to this team.”

His never-say-die approach used to include a never-take-a-break mindset.  He realizes that, in Atlanta, he won’t have to knock himself out.

“Early in my career, I took great pride in being in the bell cow, the one guy that you could always depend on,” Jackson said.  “I’ve learned that over the years you did need some extra guys on your team to be successful in this league.  To be another tool in the tool box is quite all right with me.”

It’s quite all right with the Falcons, and their fans.

It may not be all right with the guys on the all-time rushing list whom Jackson, now 26th with 10,135 rushing yards, will be passing.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Steven Jackson considered retirement”
  1. saintsfan1111 says: Mar 16, 2013 3:27 PM

Seems to lack desire if he was considering retiring.

2. 561bengal says: Mar 16, 2013 3:35 PM

I’m not a Rams fan but Steven Jackson played his butt off for a crappy team for years. Lacking desire doesn’t apply for him ever!

3. GenXJay says: Mar 16, 2013 3:38 PM

Nice pick up, dirty birds.
    ATL vs. retirement.
    Even worse, get picked up by GB.

4. grogansheroes says: Mar 16, 2013 3:42 PM

saintsfan1111 says:
    Mar 16, 2013 3:27 PM
    Seems to lack desire if he was considering retiring.
    ____________________________
    Or was tired of getting pounded on on a losing team. I think this is a good pickup for the Falcons. Always liked him, and he will make the locker room better.

5. petehemlock says: Mar 16, 2013 3:42 PM

He paid his dues playing in that dim garage in St Louis. He deserves a spot on a decent team.

6. larryboodry says: Mar 16, 2013 3:47 PM

So GB wasn’t even his second choice…LMAO!

7. thejabronisayz says: Mar 16, 2013 3:47 PM

In the 2007, 2008, and 2009 season, the Rams won a combined 6 games. As a Rams fan, it was horrible.

But I will say this – had Steven Jackson not been there, those teams would have probably won a combined zero games in those three years.

As much as it hurts, sometimes athletes need to admit to themselves that they can’t do it alone (see: Lebron James).

8. deltaoracle says: Mar 16, 2013 3:56 PM

I’ve learned to be okay with being a tool also.

9. computojon says: Mar 16, 2013 4:13 PM

Atlanta fans, prepare to have your expectations exceeded. You will be very happy with your new runaway freight train.

10. footballchic777 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:19 PM

I thought his complaint with the Rams was that he didn’t want a committee?

11. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: Mar 16, 2013 4:29 PM

when you are considering retirement, then you are already there….

12. noring4youstill says: Mar 16, 2013 4:39 PM

Don’t worry he’ll quit by next season. FalCants.

13. milkcan44 says: Mar 16, 2013 4:47 PM

When a professional football player is thinking about retirement, he’s basically retired. $4 million too much of a risk.

14. atsbuzz says: Mar 16, 2013 4:51 PM

Steven Jackson was a nice addition, but TD has got to get us some defensive help.

Maybe Elvis in the building? Glanville left him tickets for years. Better late than never, right?

15. mandingo77 says: Mar 16, 2013 6:16 PM

For a man to leave 7 million on the table tells you what type of team he was playing on. Enough is ENOUGH some guys actually want to go out and win. To get your ass kicked for 7 years and not complain says alot about him. It was obvious not about the money if he walked away from $7 million and took less money to win.

16. just1dude says: Mar 16, 2013 6:37 PM

Elvis is too much cost…..Falcons have around 3-4 Million left in cap space, and 2 Mill will be used to sign the rookies. Ryan could restructure and get savings this year, but I don’t expect that to happen just yet. Could release Jerry and save 900K, and possibly drop Nicholas and save 500K, but both will leave dead money next year. I love my Falcons, and think adding the best pass-catching hard-nosed RB of the last 9 years is a great move; it just doesn’t leave any money for 2xDE, and a starting CB. Gonna be another rough year on Def.

17. geeoh2k13 says: Mar 16, 2013 7:00 PM

As a Cardinals fan, never liked the Rams, but always respected Jackson. Guess the beat goes on though. Out with the old All Time Leading rusher in team history, in with the young gun.

Best of luck in Atlanta

18. nickynick04 says: Mar 16, 2013 7:31 PM

Once you start thinking about quiting…you ve Quit !\Ask any athlete.
    If you have never worn a jock,,,you have no clue as to what I mean..

19. flavordave says: Mar 16, 2013 8:05 PM

I love jackson but he figured whats the point if hes not with the Eagles? No chance of winning at all. None. And theres simply nothing anyone can do about it.