Arizona, here we come

airplane_generic_106599395 Getty Images

The annual league meetings get rolling tomorrow in Arizona.  In about 80 minutes, I’ll get flying to Arizona.

Yes, it’ll be the first time I’ve flown since September 1997.  I didn’t have a cell phone at the time, and my hair was my own.  Mostly.

On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, we’ll be broadcasting PFT Live and Pro Football Talk from the Biltmore resort in Phoenix, site of this year’s meetings.  The folks in Stamford have been working hard to put together a great guest list, which I’ll hold off on mentioning for now, for fear of jinxing it.

I’ll also be posting from the plane, if there’s Internet access.  And if I’m able to hunt and peck once I’ve downed a few glasses of wine and/or an Ambien.  Or three.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Arizona, here we come”
  1. j0esixpack says: Mar 17, 2013 4:12 PM

Well, you’re statistically safer in a plane than you are in your own bathroom (which tells me that one should avoid the bathroom of an airplane at all costs)

2. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 17, 2013 4:14 PM

Been there done that re:first time back on a plane. Once the rush (not in a good way) passes after takeoff that wine and/or/and Ambien will hit you and you’ll hardly care when there’s turbulence. Then the flight back will be half as hard and so forth.

3. unkrautsalat says: Mar 17, 2013 4:14 PM

Just remember: You are sitting in an iron tube in the sky, which is absolutely crazy and shouldn’t work at all. Have fun.

4. germanstingray says: Mar 17, 2013 4:20 PM

I did notice that it’s an interesting fur hat you wear on TV. I was just wondering if there’s a raccoon ponytail in the back.

5. sdboltaction says: Mar 17, 2013 4:22 PM

Can I drop by and get you to sign a box of Rogaine for a friend of mine who is a huge fan?!?!

6. sammyias says: Mar 17, 2013 4:22 PM

Mike, you are a drugged up toupee wearing bald guy with a fear of flying, and technology?

Me too, do you need an assistant?

7. trevor123698 says: Mar 17, 2013 4:26 PM

and your sleeping problem is a calcium deficiency.

8. ninja6r says: Mar 17, 2013 4:34 PM

Hope you enjoy having your 4th Amendment rights violated. A few things have changed since ’97.

9. asusundevils says: Mar 17, 2013 4:40 PM

Florio, why haven’t you flown in 15 years? I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere.

And FWIW, don’t worry about a thing. It’s the safest way to travel. You’ll be fine.

10. smartanis says: Mar 17, 2013 4:41 PM

Be sure to tell the clown in the blue shirt that as long as he’s giving you a massage, he might as well work that kink out of your right shoulder.

11. modhairken says: Mar 17, 2013 5:02 PM

You mean to tell me you didn’t negotiate Madden’s bus into your deal at NBC? Watch out in Arizona. You can get stabbed in the back!

12. whereyaat says: Mar 17, 2013 5:05 PM

When it’s time to leave Arizona, make sure you arrive at Sky Harbor a 60-90 min in advance. TSA there is usually pretty efficient, but occasionally is absolutely horrible and causes people to miss flights.

Scottsdale has some superb restaurants, highly recommend you hit those up. But as Glenn Campbell, Mark Grace, and Charles Barkley can attest to, that place is a DUI trap.

Hope you brought your golf clubs! (Best time of year for that in AZ.) Or if you are a tennis guy, the Phoenician has some of the best clay courts you’ll find in the US.

13. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 17, 2013 5:06 PM

What’s that grinding sound I hear coming from the left engine?

14. egomaniac247 says: Mar 17, 2013 5:44 PM

For someone who works in such a high profile position and covers teams in multiple cities, it’s pretty shocking that you haven’t flown since 1997. Heck I envy you for it.

15. sammyias says: Mar 17, 2013 5:51 PM

“How far can we go on one wing?”

All the way to the scene of the crash.

16. CKL says: Mar 17, 2013 6:19 PM

I like flying, I just hate all the baloney leading up to it, and I haven’t even flown since all this TSA junk was in place.

17. tedmurph says: Mar 17, 2013 6:21 PM

Any chance the plane has enough fuel to just keep going…say to China?

18. ron69 says: Mar 17, 2013 6:25 PM

Some planes are pretty old you know, 30 to 40 years old so you just never know when would these break out, but eventually they will, if just a matter of time.

19. thefox61 says: Mar 17, 2013 6:30 PM

Might want to catch a little “Cactus League” action while you’re out there.
    Go Mariners!

20. purplekoolaid1 says: Mar 17, 2013 7:11 PM

You have the finest rug in the sports industry. Marv Albert doesn’t even come close. Do you happen to get them at Morrie’s Wigs?

21. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: Mar 17, 2013 9:40 PM

You mean to tell me that you sit around all day thinking and talking about football from the comfort of your own home town? Now I really want your job….