Brandon Stokley wants to keep playing

Brandon+Stokley+Denver+Broncos+Training+Camp+eBKiquqzw3pl Getty Images

Before the Broncos signed wide receiver Wes Welker as a free agent, Brandon Stokley said he though it would be a great idea for Denver to pursue him.

That was a pretty magnanimous gesture from Stokley since Welker’s arrival pretty much filled the spot he played for the Broncos as a slot receiver in 2013. Stokley wasn’t inundated with offers before his old friend Peyton Manning helped smooth the way for him to sign with Denver and he knows that a return to the Broncos is unlikely, but that hasn’t taken away his desire to keep playing in 2013.

“Yeah, I think so,” Stokley said during an interview with ESPN 102.3 in Denver, via SportsRadioInterviews.com “It’s always harder when you’re my age. I’ve got two boys and it’s harder to be away from them, but I think so. I think I still want to play and I still love the game, love to compete and I still think I’ve got something to offer a team.”

Stokley had 45 catches for 544 yards and five touchdowns in 2012, his most productive year since 2008. He’ll turn 37 in June, which means he’s unlikely to be too high on anyone’s list at this point but teams may find they want a more experienced hand for their receiving corps once offseason work begins and teams have a better idea of what their remaining needs are before the start of the season.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Brandon Stokley wants to keep playing”
  1. ttgb2 says: Mar 18, 2013 3:47 PM

Is there ANYONE out there who dislikes this guy?

Makes the best of his opportunities, works hard, doesn’t complain, takes care of his family, doesn’t get DUIs…

That’s a recipe for success whether or not he gets another shot in the NFL.

As a Denver fan hell I hope they find some way to keep him for cheap. I’m sure they could find a spot on the roster for him.

2. marvsleezy says: Mar 18, 2013 3:53 PM

How much money is he asking for and will it really kill Denvers cap? At least bring him back if someone gets hurt. But he deserves a job somewhere – Maybe New England or the Rams.

3. seansds3d says: Mar 18, 2013 3:55 PM

As a Bronco fan I would also love to keep this guy. Rotate him with Welker and then use him when you go 4 wide.

4. mustang69247 says: Mar 18, 2013 3:55 PM

i think its time stokley comes back to baltimore.

5. walker615 says: Mar 18, 2013 3:56 PM

I know it’s hard to keep a number 4 WR that doesn’t play special teams, but man I hope they bring him back. Great man, great teammate, and was really effective last year. The guy catches EVERYTHING

6. salutethis says: Mar 18, 2013 3:57 PM

Agreed! I sure hope they find a way…Stokley is one of my favorite players…hope that guy stays with Denver…

7. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Mar 18, 2013 3:59 PM

If he comes back, Denver would have three white wide receivers. I’m sure that doesn’t happen very often.

8. milehigh85 says: Mar 18, 2013 4:02 PM

The definition of a classy football player. Sure hope he stays in Orange and Blue.

9. chipwade says: Mar 18, 2013 4:09 PM

Denver should keep him for the vet minimum behind Welker.

10. sportsnut101 says: Mar 18, 2013 4:13 PM

Cowboys need him jets def need everyone

Everyone wants the fast slot guys but if they can’t catch or run the right route what good is that.

This guy is first class all the way. N he played pretty well with manning. The saints nice fit as well

11. jrock3x8 says: Mar 18, 2013 4:15 PM

Chi CAAA go Chi CAAA go…

Brandon’s type of town…

12. rg3sus says: Mar 18, 2013 4:19 PM

He should just wait and go to New England after Amendola (sp?) gets hurt in either preseason or early in the season. I’m only half kidding sadly…

13. azwildcats96 says: Mar 18, 2013 4:20 PM

PLEASE keep Stokley!!!! Did you see the catches he made last year?? Dude has hands made of glue and feet like a ballerina.

14. kaoticbandito says: Mar 18, 2013 4:21 PM

He’s a great route runner with good hands. Who wouldn’t want him?

15. kabmaforlife says: Mar 18, 2013 5:16 PM

He should actually start preparing for retirement…maybe he should look into assistant coaching or broadcasting for Espn.

At 37 he likes the game but he should spend more time with his boys and his family…but yes great guy and heck of a player!

16. blue18hutthutt says: Mar 18, 2013 5:34 PM

Stokley makes perfect sense as a #4 WR on the Broncos – behind the big 3, they really have nothing there (Matthew Willis is terrible despite being a ST ace and Andre Caldwell was a forgotten man)

It’s probably also best for Stokley to play a part-time role anyway – as great as he is, he’s an older guy and always was injury-prone when he was younger anyway. Playing the slot is nasty business and there were times last year you worried everytime you saw Stokley get hit and get up slowly

He’d be a perfect #4 or backup who can step right in for 3-4 games if needed

17. pettytom says: Mar 18, 2013 6:35 PM

Come back home to Louisiana. I’m sure Drew can get you the ball and we need someone other than Colston and Graham.

18. rajbais says: Mar 18, 2013 7:34 PM

I think San Diego would be a good place for him. Philip Rivers needs a safety blanket because of Antonio Gates’ decline. Plus Rivers has no Moneyman at wide receiver and Brandon Stokely would be ideal. I also suggest San Diego because Mike McCoy, the former Denver Broncos, offensive Coordinator is the new head coach there. Washington could be a good place for him too. He played for Mike Shanahan during his first stay at Denver.

19. hatersnightmare says: Mar 19, 2013 12:51 AM

He will stay in Denver mark my words.

20. jasonculhane says: Mar 19, 2013 12:28 PM

Brandon’s older. He just wants to be apart of a winning team on the up and up. He just wants to contribute, he’s always been a team player. If he was 31, there would be NO way he would accept it, but times are different. Denver probably re signs him to back up Welker.