Bruce Arians: Drew Stanton “very capable” of being Cardinals’ starter

Drew Stanton AP

New Cardinals coach Bruce Arians appears ready to anoint Drew Stanton as his starting quarterback.

Asked by Andrew Siciliano on NFL Network whether he thinks his starting quarterback is currently on the roster, Arians answered, “Yes, we have a very capable one in Drew Stanton.”

Arians continued that Stanton played for him last year as Andrew Luck’s backup in Indianapolis, which makes him comfortable that he has a quarterback who can run his offense effectively.

“Drew knows the offense, he is more than capable of doing it. If he is our guy, I am comfortable,” Arians said.

Arians isn’t guaranteeing Stanton the job, and it’s still possible that the Cardinals could acquire another quarterback in free agency or the draft. But at the moment it appears that they’ll head into training camp with Stanton, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Lindley and John Skelton as their quarterbacks, and Stanton having a leg up on the rest to open the season as the No. 1 quarterback in Arizona.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Bruce Arians: Drew Stanton “very capable” of being Cardinals’ starter”
  1. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Mar 18, 2013 8:24 PM

Translation: “I guarantee we’re picking a quarterback in the first round.”

2. detroit09 says: Mar 18, 2013 8:29 PM

Good for Drew. Needs to make the most of this. Could be his last shot.

3. beardinals says: Mar 18, 2013 8:29 PM

Dude know QBs, so let’s hope so.

4. grandpoopah says: Mar 18, 2013 8:30 PM

Larry Fitzgerald just face palmed.

5. kayakattack says: Mar 18, 2013 8:32 PM

Well that’s getting off to a great start there Cards fans

6. mikeknaj says: Mar 18, 2013 8:33 PM

As a 49ers fan I’m totally okay with Arians on this call.

7. flavordave says: Mar 18, 2013 8:35 PM

Hes barely a capable starter. Hes a career style backup and one that clearly can not beat Chip Kellys new 3-4 hybrid 11 headed defensive monster machine. Its not even in question. And theres simply nothing they can do about it.

8. Sackville Rc says: Mar 18, 2013 8:35 PM

He would be my pick from all of their QBs. But I would also need to look elsewhere.

9. riflemanlax19 says: Mar 18, 2013 8:37 PM

If you believe that Drew Stanton is a starter, I have some beach front property in New Mexico to sell you.

10. mikebrownistheworstownerinprosports says: Mar 18, 2013 8:38 PM

Smokescreen. If not, I’d be pretty upset if I were a Cards fan.

11. azjam says: Mar 18, 2013 8:38 PM

As a Cardinal fan, not very excited as a career backup could be our starter. Its going to be a long season.

12. vmannj says: Mar 18, 2013 8:40 PM

….and the Cardinals are very capable of being 4-12 with Drew Stanton as their starter.

13. n0hopeleft says: Mar 18, 2013 8:41 PM

Whoever it is, they better be ready. Facing the 9ers and Hawks defenses this year is going to suck.

14. source7769 says: Mar 18, 2013 8:43 PM

better go back and put in some of his work in detroit on his arm makes chad pennington look like dan marino

15. arrghmakeitstop says: Mar 18, 2013 8:43 PM

“Drew Stanton “very capable” of being Cardinals’ starter”

I’m sure that’s JUST what every Cards fan wanted to hear…

16. n0hopeleft says: Mar 18, 2013 8:43 PM

Whoever it is, they better be ready. Facing the 9ers and Hawks defenses twice this year is going to suck for any team.

17. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 18, 2013 8:45 PM

Irs can tweet poetic about the dying ducks served up by the Andrew sisters now.

18. sadskinsfan89 says: Mar 18, 2013 8:46 PM

I do like how Arians is being smart about the QB situation. There are zero QBs available in free agency and in the draft to invest alot of your franchise in.

19. Iknoweverything says: Mar 18, 2013 8:48 PM

Yea right. Say whatever you want, but Mr. Andy Reid already knows you are craving Geno Smith.

You better jump in front of the Jags to get your guy… All it takes is a swap of the # 1’s, your 2nd round pick and a 2014 3rd rounder

20. clssylssy says: Mar 18, 2013 8:51 PM

The #1 priority with the Cardinals was suppose to be the O-line and QB situaation. The fans were PROMISED this by Michael Bidwill and the hiring of Coach Arians was believed to signal a step toward getting a franchise QB this season. The signing of Stanton was to provide a temporary fix while Arians,”the QB whisperer” finds the next Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson. Cardinal fans are fresh out of patience and aren’t going to accept anything less than a winner so if Arians can pull it off with Stanton , more power to him otherwise he may find the fans not so warm and friendly and his stay as HC a little shorter than expected. Arians seems like too nice a guy to be in Arizona where it’s every man for himself and the knife in the back can come at anytime! Hope he’s wearing his Kevlar vest!

21. coltsnpacers says: Mar 18, 2013 8:55 PM

He’s not capable of being a franchise quarterback but obviously there only chance of winning over Skelton and Hoyer.

22. greglloydrules says: Mar 18, 2013 9:00 PM

I think Stanton can be a very serviceable 2nd string. I’m not so sure as a starter. But it wouldn’t surprise me if he starts and plays well.

23. hyzers says: Mar 18, 2013 9:00 PM

lol he was a 3rd string QB for the Lions. He still managed to beat the Packers the last time they won the Super Bowl

24. dwoofer says: Mar 18, 2013 9:00 PM

Cardinals ownership better realize real quick: the fan base is NOT excited about next season. Can you say, bye-bye sellouts??

25. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 18, 2013 9:01 PM

I’m a semi-Drew Stanton fan at least as much as you can be when you liked a player in college and keep rooting for him. But seriously, he could put up pretty average stats and still be the best option and the best QB there is years. Good luch Drew, here’s hoping this time the desert isn’t a place one goes to kill a career…

26. nyyjetsknicks says: Mar 18, 2013 9:02 PM

Jets had Stanton, signed Tebow at which point Stanton asked to be traded. You can make stupid like that up.

27. mcjon22 says: Mar 18, 2013 9:04 PM

Thanks Bruce, I needed a good laugh

28. Exiled1 says: Mar 18, 2013 9:09 PM

Stanton. Hoyer. Lindley. Skelton.

Lighting the world on fire.

Pretty sure Larry Fitzgerald is somewhere smashing his face against a wall.

29. Punk says: Mar 18, 2013 9:15 PM

It sounds as if Stanton is more the “okay for a worst case scenario” than the “potential starter”

30. hworm08 says: Mar 18, 2013 9:21 PM

Why not? As an 11 year Cards season ticket holder, I am good with Stanton. Can’t be worse then the Lindley/Skelton combo…and I definitely don’t want to reach in the 1st round for a Geno Smith/Matt Barkley pick…

31. crownofthehelmet says: Mar 18, 2013 9:36 PM

Based on last year, so am I.

32. patsarethegoat says: Mar 18, 2013 9:40 PM

The Cardinals haven’t had a capable starter since Kurt Warner.

33. cantarguefacts says: Mar 18, 2013 9:42 PM

I think this would be good for them. Stanton is a very capable QB.

34. cherrybop says: Mar 18, 2013 9:48 PM

so 4-12 it is, then?

35. icardfan says: Mar 18, 2013 9:58 PM

Why did I have to be born in Arizona? Uhhhg!

36. kane337 says: Mar 18, 2013 9:59 PM

Bruce is just saying that to not give up his hand. He will probably draft Matt Barkley.

37. cardsfann1 says: Mar 18, 2013 10:02 PM

He may start out as the number one guy, but if they don’t fix that offensive line he sure won’t finish the number one guy…

38. arrogantnation says: Mar 18, 2013 10:02 PM

Poor Fitz is wasting away his prime in the desert.

39. sjs5y7 says: Mar 18, 2013 10:07 PM

Out of that group? Doesn’t say that much…

40. arlingtonsynn says: Mar 18, 2013 10:09 PM

Why yes…. but that doesn’t say anything good about your options.

41. censormynameandmycomments says: Mar 18, 2013 10:10 PM

The Cardinals are coming off a season in which the defense played pretty well but the offense was a train wreck mostly due to the QB and O-line play. Of the 9 new players they’ve signed, 7 are on defense.

How soon is too soon to fire your new GM and coaching staff?

42. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 18, 2013 10:11 PM

While that is actually very very true….that doesn’t make it a good thing.

43. randyschwimmer7 says: Mar 18, 2013 10:16 PM

Not a cards fan at all, but I think the Cards may have their QB with Stanton. I may be wrong, just seems like he is going to fit in well there. Definitely better than Kolb.

44. delusionalcardsfan says: Mar 18, 2013 10:19 PM

In Bruce Almighty we trust!

45. atltoarizona says: Mar 18, 2013 10:27 PM

I didn’t like Kolb coming in. I didn’t like any of the QBs they drafted the past few years. For some reason, I like Stanton. I know history suggests that I’ll be eating my words, but I like Stanton’s promise.

46. southpaw79 says: Mar 18, 2013 10:37 PM

A higher standard has never been met than that of the starting QB for the Arizona Cardinals!

47. rickyspanish says: Mar 18, 2013 10:52 PM

Look out San Fran and Seattle, here comes another year from Arizona with backup caliber quarterbacks. Fitzgerald deserves better.

48. bigred12 says: Mar 18, 2013 11:06 PM

gross group of QBs right there

49. coltzfan166 says: Mar 18, 2013 11:26 PM

Ok, seriously? Drew Stanton is by far the most overrated QB that hit free agency this year. This guy hasn’t done sh-t in his career and we’re making him seem like he could be the next Russell Wilson or something. Starting Stanton would be like 3 years ago when they started Derek Anderson.

50. Land Snark says: Mar 18, 2013 11:31 PM

He’s a career backup for a reason. Welcome to the basement of the NFC again Cardinals.

51. footballfather says: Mar 18, 2013 11:54 PM

I’m not an MSU fan by any means, but I do like Stanton. I hope he gets an opportunity to start in Arizona, and if he does, then I hope that O-line doesn’t get him killed.

52. northbynw27 says: Mar 19, 2013 12:06 AM

As a Seahawks fan this makes me smile..mediocrity in motion.

53. stevenwilliams2013 says: Mar 19, 2013 12:12 AM

Drew Stanton is gonna be the next Jim Kelly,..just watch!!

54. akabobbo says: Mar 19, 2013 12:55 AM

Anyone remember when the cards were so sure they had there quarterback of the future, Kevin the “underwelmer” Kolb Heehee

55. lionsplayoffs says: Mar 19, 2013 1:29 AM

Yeah Drew Stanton is very capable as a starter…until the other team’s defensive end looks at him wrong. Then he wets himself and passes out.

56. orivar says: Mar 19, 2013 1:40 AM

Bruce, the entire league knows how bad that line is. The LAST thing you need to worry about is getting a QB.

R.I.P Drew Standon, we barely knew ye’.

57. sportsinhd says: Mar 19, 2013 1:50 AM

Stanton is not a bad quarterback, but with his style of play he’s not going to last an entire season. He runs too much to make up for his lack of arm, and he’s not big enough to take the big hits for 16 games.

58. slick23 says: Mar 19, 2013 10:00 AM

I see a lot of u folks just talk crazy. If u know anything bout Drew Stanton u would know he drafted to be Detroit starter 1st pick in the second round but he had a bad knee and was shut down in training camp. The team sucked that year they cleaned house new GM coach new Qb and he wasn’t given a chance to compete. Don’t sleep on this guy if it wasn’t for questions bout his knee would have been a first round pick instead of the first pick in the second round.

59. theuglitruth says: Mar 19, 2013 4:18 PM

Considering the Cards recently used 1st rd pick on Leinart + paid big $$ + invested time + effort…they got nothing in return….And they traded a starter (DRC) + 2nd rd pick + big $$$ + invested time + effort for Kolb and….they got nothing in return…. I DO NOT BLAME the Cards for being very cautious and I WOULD NOT BLAME them for waiting to find the “right guy”, BECAUSE I don’t believe the “right guy” is in this draft, or on the street as a free agent. Stanton maybe a stop gap…but better than making another costly mistake.