Rex Ryan: We’re not actively trying to trade Revis

Rex+Ryan+New+York+Jets+v+Buffalo+Bills+4qK9HRczGLYl Getty Images

Mike Florio reported early Tuesday morning that the Buccaneers are losing interest in making a trade for Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, something he attributed to the difference in what the two sides thought was fair compensation in a trade.

That’s a reasonable snag, although we wouldn’t be surprised if the Buccaneers weren’t also getting tired of the semantic games the Jets insist on playing when it comes to trade talks. Rex Ryan spoke to reporters on Tuesday and pushed a line that the Jets have been pushing for weeks even though it is quite clear that they have more than just a cursory interest in hearing what other teams might be willing to give up for Revis.

“I know for a fact that we’re not actively trying to trade Darrelle Revis. But if somebody calls, you listen,” Ryan said, via Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post.

The Jets may well be telling the truth when they say they are open to all possibilities with Revis, including an extension that keeps him with the team beyond the 2013 season. To keep beating the drum that all you’re doing is listening when teams call is a bit silly at this point since we’re clearly well past the point of a random phone call here or there to gauge interest in a potential deal.

Ryan said he does not believe it is a foregone conclusion that Revis is gone before the start of next season and he’s absolutely correct. No matter how hard they try to make it seem otherwise, though, the state of his knee and the prospect of negotiating a big new extension feel like much bigger stumbling blocks to a deal than the Jets’ uncertainty about what they want to do.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Rex Ryan: We’re not actively trying to trade Revis”
  1. drwbrsdmndsnxplntn says: Mar 19, 2013 11:03 AM

In other words(or techniclly, the same words), he is doing his best Rick Spielman impression?

2. sclobernocker47 says: Mar 19, 2013 11:08 AM

B-O-L-O-G-N-A

You know you’re gonna trade Revis.
    We know you’re gonna trade Revis.
    Just shut up and trade Revis already…

3. edelmanfanclub says: Mar 19, 2013 11:18 AM

Why would they trade Revis. They are going to the superbowl with sanchize again! Oh wait…

4. buccaboo says: Mar 19, 2013 11:25 AM

Is anyone really surprised that the Jets are screwing this up?

5. flmike says: Mar 19, 2013 11:27 AM

Yes you are, you’re just not in the loop, hope that resume is up to date.

6. fuglyflorio says: Mar 19, 2013 11:29 AM

Translation … nobody wants this problem. We’re stuck with him.

7. whatnojets says: Mar 19, 2013 11:51 AM

“I know for a fact that we’re not actively trying to trade Darrelle Revis.

“I know for a fact that we’re going to win the Super Bowl”

“I know for a fact that we have the damn best team”

“I know for a fact that we are going to have the damn lunch now”

“I know for a fact that we have the best quarterback in the league”

8. steelerben says: Mar 19, 2013 11:58 AM

We are not actively trying to trade Revis because we were actively trying to trade Revis and no one wants to give us what we want in compensation for him. However, if anyone would like to give us a first rounder, we’re all ears.

9. wrdtoyrmama says: Mar 19, 2013 12:01 PM

You know if you guys in the media are so tired of talking and writing about this, you can move on to other things, right?

You guys are spending an inordinate amount of time speculating on something you keep telling us that others are losing interest in.

10. IBleedBlueBitchez says: Mar 19, 2013 12:05 PM

Got to love the Jets if your a Ravens fan, an easy wins every year!!!! With that said, the entire AFC EAST sucks!!! GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Go ahead haters, let me have it)

11. daknight93 says: Mar 19, 2013 12:06 PM

The Jets Brass just recently paid Revis $1M he was due..well, that shows he won’t be traded anytime soon..Revis gets 1 million dollars, I wish that I was in Revis shoes right about now collecting easy 1m.

12. 69finfan says: Mar 19, 2013 12:14 PM

Rex also stated that the Jests were not “actively” trying to be a Circus but oh well, s _ _ t happens.

13. thefox61 says: Mar 19, 2013 12:17 PM

Reality just set in because no one’s actively pursuing him either.

14. cpo187 says: Mar 19, 2013 12:40 PM

Rex Ryan also said, “I am not actively trying to gain weight.”

“I know for a fact that I’m not actively trying to gain weight. But if there is food, you eat.”

15. simplegodfather says: Mar 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Yawn… Izzy doing great job at GM doing poker face… Nobody know what exact going to happen with Revis, but however, I can tell that Izzy might sign Revis to Jets 4 Life contract.. Afterall Revis already seen how CBs Markets isnt selling, and there no high demands for him but bucs and 49ers only..

Hopefully Revis would learn this situation and make the best out of himself. He has weak leverage now, cant hold out during camp no more, otherwise he will have his contract penalty which increase 1 more year stay with Jets.. Revis is scared now, because he doesnt want to get hurt in 1 year contract, and want to secured the long term contract… Izzy has alot of options to dealt with Revis, and Revis himself has none options. IN IZZY WE TRUST!

16. bleedgreen88 says: Mar 19, 2013 12:57 PM

Reminds me of telling a kid Santa Claus isn’t real.. They just don’t want to believe it. Poor Rex still believes he is gonna win a championship with Revis.. Woody must of ignored his calls all offseason.

17. pisano says: Mar 19, 2013 12:58 PM

With that statement coming from Rex, Revis is as good as gone.

18. steelerben says: Mar 19, 2013 12:58 PM

IBleedBlueBitchez says:
    Mar 19, 2013 12:05 PM

The Ravens are in the AFC North with the Steelers, Browns and Bengals. The Jets are in the AFC East with the Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots.

I won’t hate on your decision to like the Colts, I’ll just remind you to take a look at the way the NFL is divided before posting.

19. lrjets says: Mar 19, 2013 1:27 PM

edelmanfanclub says:Mar 19, 2013 11:18 AM

Riddle: What’s the difference between NE going to the Super Bowl and the Jets not?

Answer: None. Neither has a chance to win it.

20. lrjets says: Mar 19, 2013 1:34 PM

whatnojets says:Mar 19, 2013 11:51 AM

“I know for a fact that we’re not actively trying to trade Darrelle Revis.

“I know for a fact that we’re going to win the Super Bowl”

“I know for a fact that we have the damn best team”

“I know for a fact that we are going to have the damn lunch now”

“I know for a fact that we have the best quarterback in the league”

I know for a fact you have a freight car of issues to give yourself a username with “jets” in it, and you’re not a Jets fan. You’ll probably know what team you’ll root for, say in December.

21. falstaffsmind says: Mar 19, 2013 2:47 PM

Try telling your spouse you are not actively seeking a mistress.

22. thejuddstir says: Mar 19, 2013 3:47 PM

I was beginning to wonder when we were going to hear from the pre-season superbowl champion headcoach. I wonder if Rexy’s wife believes anything he says? Here we go with another off-season of windy conditions coming from new york and now……new orleans.

23. dynaco says: Mar 19, 2013 4:25 PM

” Here we go with another off-season of windy conditions coming from new york and now……new orleans.”

Now isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black?