Charles Woodson happy tuck rule’s gone, feels “shunned” in free agency

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Charles Woodson played a pivotal role in the play that made the Tuck Role famous and he was happy to see the rule die on Wednesday.

“Hallelujah,” Woodson said during an interview with the NFL Network. “It shouldn’t have taken this long. It’s been 11 years I guess now. It’s about time that they turned it over. It really was just a badly explained rule from the jump, and it didn’t make a whole lot of sense the way the rule was interpreted.So I think the best thing was for them to just throw it out.”

Based on the rest of the interview, the vote to abolish the rule gave Woodson a rare reason to smile. Woodson has had just one visit since becoming a free agent, with the 49ers last week, and said he’s resolved to remain patient in a market that’s been slower than he’d like.

“I thought it would be a little more interest,” Woodson said. “I think, looking back, this is my second time in free agency and I’ve kind of been shunned both times. So I guess this time around, I’m a little more patient with it and just waiting around to see what happens. I don’t take it personal. I understand how the game goes, I’ve seen it for 15 years now, and I’ve seen how it works. Just got to have a little patience.”

With the 49ers signing Craig Dahl, Woodson’s likely right about needing patience. There’s been word of interest from the Texans if Ed Reed winds up elsewhere and other teams may also turn their attention in his direction as free agency continues.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Charles Woodson happy tuck rule’s gone, feels “shunned” in free agency”
  1. tirdbirgler says: Mar 20, 2013 5:16 PM

Come to Miami

2. dmackdaddy says: Mar 20, 2013 5:19 PM

At first I wanted my 49ers to get Woodson but he’s old and expensive. At least with Craig Dahl we get a young and hungry player that had 274 tackles in 5 years and Goldson had 278 in 6 years. Less INTs though, but those opportunities will come on a better defense that when he was on the Rams. Woodson should have dropped his price to come to SF not I am afraid its too late.

Craig Dahl also likes to play Special Team, so he will be a key part of the Tony Montana Squad! Something Woodson would NOT do.

Go Niners!!!

3. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Mar 20, 2013 5:19 PM

I think the cowboys should jump at woodson.. .they let go of sensabaugh who is less of a player…and once they resign Tony that will designate more cap room this year for them to spend on a one or two year deal for Charles

4. dukemarc says: Mar 20, 2013 5:20 PM

Time to bring him back in at your price Ted Thompson.

5. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 20, 2013 5:20 PM

Sounds like he’s asking for too much money. There is no doubt he can still contribute and probably make a few big plays, but he’s not going to get paid like he thinks. Get a good incentive based 2-3 year deal. Get some guarantee them make what you think you should make (or close) if you perform at a high level with INT, TD’s, etc. He’s going to have to bet on himself to get it done.

6. tommysaint1 says: Mar 20, 2013 5:20 PM

Come to New Orleans. Sharper did it, so can you.

7. truetrue85 says: Mar 20, 2013 5:24 PM

You’re old and can’t run anymore… what did you expect?

8. nzayir says: Mar 20, 2013 5:24 PM

The tuck rule was actually established in 1999 so it lived for around 13 years. I understand Woodson is talking about the specific game but still.

I know people will never let it go but the game is over and done with the Patriots won end of story.

Woodson and all these other FA’s are either going to have to drastically lower their asking prices or they will be “shunned” for a lot longer. The market is completely in teams’ favor. It’s going to be this way next year too. The flat cap era has got to be frustrating for all these vets. Maybe their union should have done a better job two years ago.

9. nineroutsider says: Mar 20, 2013 5:26 PM

I wouldn’t want a 37 year old FS unless I absolutely had to. If he doesn’t drop his price he could be out of a job until a major injury occurs. He can still play, but I’d rather bring up a young guy who has more upside.

10. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Mar 20, 2013 5:26 PM

I can’t see him signing anything other than a 1 year dea, he’s almost 40 for chrissakes. Great career!

11. shaggytoodle says: Mar 20, 2013 5:26 PM

Come to GB for 4-5 mil a season.

12. cletusvandam says: Mar 20, 2013 5:31 PM

“With the 49ers signing Craig Dahl, Woodson’s likely right about needing patience. ”
    —–
    Well I thought I was over this horrible signing but I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

13. muskyhunter2542 says: Mar 20, 2013 5:32 PM

2 mil

14. dwnhillwhaler says: Mar 20, 2013 5:34 PM

Woodson should be happy he had one team visit. the CB market was never as hot as any of these players or their agents thought. just because Revis got one big deal and “geniusly guided” franchises overpaid Asomugha doesn’t mean there is a frenzy for CBs. They are largely interchangeable, can be had on the cheap from the draft, especially this one, and are not as important to a defense as a pass rush. Woodson is vastly overrated and his numbers are deceptive. Sure he gets a lot of picks, but that’s because QBs are not afraid to pick on him and target his guy because the numbers usually work out against him. “Lock down” guys usually don’t get targeted and shut down their side of the field, but Woodson makes some memorable plays and never misses an opportunity to run his mouth and perception becomes reality, lets shuffle these guys to the NFL retirement home where they belong so they can start filing a concussion lawsuit because they couldn’t manage the huge amount of money they made in their career.

15. iowamiah says: Mar 20, 2013 5:40 PM

The way Chicago is dumping CB’s and the fact that they still need safety help…maybe he could come over for two years and teach some of the young guys (we had better get somewhere) a few tricks.

Woodson is one of the best of all time.

Take a pay cut and come stick it to the Pack for a couple years!

16. schmitty2 says: Mar 20, 2013 5:41 PM

dmackdaddy says:Mar 20, 2013 5:19 PM

Go Niners!!!

Hate to break it to you but the Ram’s D is not far off from being as good as the Niner’s and if you dont believe me go back and watch the 2 games they played against each other. as far as Dahl goes… he is one of the worst tacklers at his position. He completely whiffed on at least 1 tackle each game

17. ickky says: Mar 20, 2013 5:42 PM

Life is better in Minnesota, and you would look great in Purple

18. brownsfanincali says: Mar 20, 2013 5:50 PM

He’s still got something left, bring him to Cle for the right price to teach a the young guys how to do it.

19. gizzmonic says: Mar 20, 2013 5:52 PM

Not shunned… Just old. When did he turn pro 1979?

20. stevincinci says: Mar 20, 2013 5:55 PM

I wouldn’t mind the Bengals bringing him in. They signed Chris Crocker off the couch last year for god’s sake. He sure would be better than him.

21. InFact says: Mar 20, 2013 6:00 PM

Let’s talk facts:

1. Woodson WAS great.

1st-Ballot HOF.

2. BUT his minimum $ for his length of service is 1.2 million!

3. Thus, it’s not “shunned,” simply expensive for someone who cannot cover outside anymore.
    He’s lost two steps if not three.

22. tennesseeoilers says: Mar 20, 2013 6:00 PM

Count us in, too–Titans fans would LOVE to see him wearing our uniform next season!

23. matthewcarlson1 says: Mar 20, 2013 6:07 PM

You’re old and you maul receivers. Just a penalty waiting to happen.

24. kev86 says: Mar 20, 2013 6:13 PM

He can win another ring with NYG

25. vikesfansteve says: Mar 20, 2013 6:18 PM

Reminds me of baseball in 1987. The owners are guilty of collusion.

26. teal379 says: Mar 20, 2013 6:30 PM

@ dwnhillwhaler

Woodson get’s picks because he had great speed and could make it seem like a WR was open.

Truth is/was that he simply baited the QB into a throw to a guy Wood knew he could get in front of and take the ball.

That’s what makes him more dangerous than a straight shut down guy. Most teams have more than 1 WR, shut one of them down – big deal.

Getting the opposing QB to not notice you till you go past him for 6 is much more impressive.

27. mullman76 says: Mar 20, 2013 6:34 PM

It was a fumble…

28. brobokil says: Mar 20, 2013 6:35 PM

I dont understand. I thought woodson was considered top tier just within the past couple years. Didnt he get a defensive player of the year award a couple years ago or something like that?

29. louiespoon says: Mar 20, 2013 6:39 PM

Old, been hurt a lot the last few years and probably want too much money….

30. tbone4444 says: Mar 20, 2013 6:49 PM

The Niners, though older and declining are still better on defense than the Rams. Both are less talented than the Hawks. You both can battle it out for second in the NFC West for the next decade.

31. Shinnbone says: Mar 20, 2013 6:56 PM

Come on Charles…., come on back home to GB you want another ring don’t you? “This is where the heeling begins” (Jim Carey)

32. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 20, 2013 6:58 PM

Charles… It’s slow because you probably want the kind of money you got in FA last time.
    You’re kinda old. It was obvious last year that you’ve lost a step. Or two.
    Nobody is likely to give you top-tier money at this point.
    Or a long term deal.

Face it, your road to retirement is paved with lower and lower one year deals.

33. radrntn says: Mar 20, 2013 7:01 PM

why not come back where you started

34. vincelombardisghost says: Mar 20, 2013 8:00 PM

Thanks, Charles, for some great years in GB. By NFL standards, you are long in the tooth. A vets minimum salary with incentives is likely all you might get now. Last two years, Packer fans saw you get flagged a lot for D interference. That got real old. Probably because you lost a step. It’s inevitable. Just retire, enjoy your wine and hospital charity projects and don’t sully your career by hanging on. The exit is just up ahead. Don’t miss it. Walk away. Time to hang up the cleats.

35. advicesolid says: Mar 20, 2013 11:55 PM

If he’s not getting visits, he’s not talking numbers with these teams either. The only team he may have talked numbers with is the 49ers who were obviously looking for a cheap safety. Reed and Delmas left without signing and Dahl is lucky to be a backup in the league.

Teams are looking for cheap starters and they find them with the young guys. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Baltimore call him up and offer him a 2 yr $4M deal now that they lost Reed.

36. tiggerblood says: Mar 21, 2013 12:27 AM

The reason he moved to safety is because he lost speed. I’m finding it hard to believe he lost that many steps that he can’t play safety. Oh making hits and tackling are a big part of playing safety. Too scared to hit unless he changes that he’s done.(I’d be scared to make hits too, the league is fine happy)Maybe he’s asking for a lot to cover those fines. But I doubt it he’s got the same affliction that prime time had. Lol

37. joetoronto says: Mar 21, 2013 4:59 AM

Yet another great player who’s time has come to an end. I was so excited when the Raiders drafted him.

All the best to C-Wood.

38. jackfactor says: Mar 27, 2013 9:31 PM

Wood seems to breaking down. He leads with the shoulder a lot and has has a broken collar bone twice. His speed is down. So with the upside gone it is like trains passing in the night with younger players getting better while he declines. Even one good season is a question mark with his injuries.
    No rational team will give him what he wants and with cap space issues, he may have one option if any. If he was smart and wants to play, he would go back to Thompson and the Packers and take less knowing it would be a reduced role, but he could retire in style.