Lions haven’t made “acceptable” offer to Jason Hanson

ason Hanson AP

Jason Hanson wants to keep kicking in 2013, but he and the Lions haven’t been able to come to an agreement on a contract yet.

Lions president Tom Lewand said Tuesday that the two sides have been talking and that the team was waiting to hear back from the kicker’s camp about their offer. Based on what Hanson’s agent Jack Mills told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Lewand and the Lions aren’t going to get an affirmative response.

“We don’t feel like there’s any urgency and at this time we don’t have anything on the table that would be acceptable,” Mills said.

Lewand also said that the salary cap system doesn’t have much place for sentimentality, which suggests that the Lions, who don’t have another kicker on the roster, have a price in mind for the kicker and are willing to go elsewhere if Hanson has a different take on his value. There’s plenty of time for the two sides to work things out, although it’s clearly going to be a bit more involved than Hanson simply returning for a 22nd season in Detroit because he wants to return for a 22nd season in Detroit.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Lions haven’t made “acceptable” offer to Jason Hanson”
  1. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Mar 20, 2013 11:24 AM

He’s had a great career, but he’s 43 years old. Time to invest a 6th-round pick in a guy who can do the job for a lot less money.

2. mandingo77 says: Mar 20, 2013 11:26 AM

They better put a acceptable offer on the table being that he is the only person on the team that is consistent and had been for 20 years. He is a HOF kicker and can get you points. A good kicker are hard to find now days.

3. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 11:28 AM

The salary cap system??!??!?!

Excuse me, but there would be NO cap constraints if the Lions didn’t spend humongous amounts of money on very large quantities of players that didn’t deserve it. That should NOT be Jason Hanson’s problem or misfortune. This is a really disappointing article to have to read today. Hanson is a legend here in Detroit and for the Lions to operate from a tone that is not in his favor on account of their own failures in the past is just not cool.

I’m really disheartened right now and the Lions have got to start holding people accountable for job performance, that’s really what all of this boils down to, as the lack of such is the core foundation of all of this franchise’s problems.

4. mack2x says: Mar 20, 2013 11:45 AM

The Lions have one of the best kickers in the league. Why mess with a good thing and go through what SF did last year. Sign him and move on to more pressing issues.

5. staffordsrightbicep says: Mar 20, 2013 11:51 AM

@thestrategyexpert I agree, but at the same time, teams cannot break the bank for, of all positions, a kicker.

Yeah, I love me some Jason Hanson; always have. He’s a true Lion at heart and I would love to see him back as a field goal expert only. But not consistently kicking through the endzone on kickoffs has got to go, and we need some young legs to come in and offer that if he cannot.

At the end of the day its a business, and employees have to perform to a standard no matter what the age- especially so in the NFL.

6. lionsfan415 says: Mar 20, 2013 11:52 AM

We’re in salaray cap hell because of the high draft picks prior to the CBA, not because of horrendously bad contracts that we gave to undeserving players…..Yes Hanson is a legend, but he’s also an issue, he cant kick it out of the endzone and he’ll cost over 1 million dollars, it’s time to go a new direction where we can pay the league minimum to a rookie like Justin Tucker, Kai Forbath, Blair Walsh or Greg Zurlein who not only can get the 55 yarders but get a touch back everytime.

7. burnzy32 says: Mar 20, 2013 11:53 AM

I want a kicker than can kick it to the back of the end zone WITH the new kickoff rule….adios Jason!

8. scoregasmic says: Mar 20, 2013 11:56 AM

@thestrategyexpert…you’re going to tell me Stafford, Megatron, and suh don’t deserve all that money? Look I love Jason as much as anyone, he’s been a lion longer than I’ve been alive. But he is getting old, and the lions need that cap space for other players that can turn the team around, a kicker isn’t going to do that. I hope Jason comes back, but I think it’s a good thing that the front office isn’t going to offer him a lot just because he’s Jason Hanson.

9. johnnycash19 says: Mar 20, 2013 11:59 AM

Didn’t Hanson say earlier in the offseason that “money would not be an issue?”

10. hyzers says: Mar 20, 2013 12:00 PM

He’s still good and a future Hall of Famer but his leg strength is waning.

thestrategyexpert is the most obvious fake Lions fan. I haven’t seen one positive post about the team from them.

11. lorddarkhelmet says: Mar 20, 2013 12:02 PM

I can’t really take a side here. On the one side Jason may well be the greatest Lion of all time (no offense Barry). On the other he has clearly lost a significant amount of distance, to the point we may need to employ someone else to kick off. I suspect the Lions are low balling him at this point BUT I also suspect he is looking to be paid as much or more than last year at a time he is actually worth less. Hopefully clearer heads will prevail on both sides as he should never kick anywhere else.

12. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 12:20 PM

staffordsrightbicep:

I didn’t say the Lions should even sign Jason necessarily, considering I’m at a disadvantage not being privy to the numbers that are being exchanged.

My issue is the thought process the Lions operate from. They can’t fathom the concept that they are the source of the salary cap constraints, and then they explain how ALL teams have a cap issue and you can’t have every player you want and all that jazz, it was just a highly unprofessional and insulting posture to take.

And further, my BIGGEST concern is what happens in 5 years when some other desirable player becomes a cap constraint due to bad deals we make prior to then? The people that are making these decisions are routinely doing a bad job each and every year, and I don’t see any reason why we should believe in their same philosophy with regard to what they are trying to build. It’s a broken idea and we need wholesale organizational changes anyhow.

So if we are operating on this same mindset of Lewand and Mayhew overvaluing some players and undervaluing others, then that’s really the critical key concern here, and I’m freaked out with concern.

13. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 12:22 PM

hyzers:

Not all of my submitted posts make it on this site. I complimented the Lions on some of their FA signings this offseason and I just did that last week. I ALWAYS give the Lions credit somewhere on the Internet when they do anything good. Or anything bad.

I’m 100% fair and unbiased to the best of my honest ability in all of my criticisms of my home team Lions or any team in the NFL.

14. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 12:29 PM

scoregasmic:

You are darn right Stafford and Suh aren’t deserving of their money, not even remotely close. Technically CJ can’t even earn his money relative to the value of his stats as it relates to the average player, but that’s ok to pay a premium when you have a special player like that and the CJ contract is a good contract for us. The Suh contract isn’t devastating by any means at this point for how young he still is, but of those 3 the Stafford contract is leaps and bounds off in terms of the value he contributes.

I have pages and pages of critiques on Stafford and I don’t have the same high opinion of him as the Lions do. They have a completely different evaluation and opinion there and from your post it seems you are in favor of his being here with that contract, so sorry if you don’t like to hear disagreements there, but I’ve wanted to trade Stafford the moment we drafted him as that has always been our best exit strategy once we made that mistake. He is not good leverage to help us win games due to all of the flaws in his game which are quite plentiful and absent coaching support that can fix those things, otherwise we would have seen progress in his red flag areas.

But those are just 3 guys, this team has 53 players and our cap issues are aligned along MANY other components.

15. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 12:32 PM

lionsfan415:

Sorry but we were not forced to make those picks, we had options to reconfigure our asset mix and I banged the table harder for changing the shape of our draft more than anything else on the Internet. Those high picks happening at the end of that era was a more critical juncture of decisions to make than our franchise has ever been faced with, and we blew it bigtime and went with the worst options out of many desirable options we had.

16. hatesycophants says: Mar 20, 2013 12:44 PM

Feeding strays (enabling trolls) is unwise.

17. joenash72 says: Mar 20, 2013 12:52 PM

It’s time for Wazzu Coug Jason Hanson to come back home and win a Superbowl with the Seattle Seahawks. Gonna hafta deal with kicking outdoors in da Clink, though………

18. staffordsrightbicep says: Mar 20, 2013 1:19 PM

@thestrategyexpert You seem to be missing the fact that the Lions were drafting in the top 5 year after year BEFORE the rookie-wage scale. That’s why players like CJ/Staff/Suh have the big contracts that they do. It was indicative of the position for which they were drafted. We’re not the only team that has those caliber of players, but we certainly have more top 2 picks in the last ten years than anyone.

It’s not like the front office was just throwing money everywhere with no concern for the other members of the team. And if you ask me, CJ and Stafford are worth every penny. I like Suh, but I can really see him being traded in the next year to relieve some of this cap constriction.

19. getatmeplease says: Mar 20, 2013 1:22 PM

thestrategyexpert is the biggest clown on here. Take a look at the great players that came out of the 2009 nfl draft in the 9 picks following Stfford:

Jason Smith, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry, Mark Sanchez, Andre Smith, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Eugene Monroe, BJ Raji, and Michael Crabtree. One of those guys (Raji) is a Pro-Bowler.

Sure they could have taken LBs like Cushing or Clay Mathews, but they had the first overall pick and it would have been a gigantic reach. Stafford has proven to be one of the better QBs in the league and is still young enough to get better.

20. bigmikeatl says: Mar 20, 2013 1:36 PM

Three things:

1) Pay the man. He’s money.

2) Money wouldn’t be a problem if they didn’t overpay for Delmas. $5 says he spends half the year on IR again.

3) The Lions need a punter. Get a young guy to punt and handle kickoffs. Hanson can still hit field goals from inside 55.

Problem (sort of) solved.

21. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 1:37 PM

staffordsrightbicep:

Yes THEY cost a lot of money, but we did NOT have to draft them. It’s the GMs job to determine the best way to get the best bang for your buck with any player investment, and you and I are not connecting because you think Stafford is a great player that is deserving of his contract, whereas my philosophy is the complete opposite. We just have opposing viewpoints.

I agree that I think the FO is very diligent about making their best choices they can make, but I disagree with the logic that they use that results in the choices they make. I think the vast majority of the big moves they have made have been mistakes, and if they didn’t make those mistakes then we would be the most dominant team today instead of arguably the most consistent losers. We are not building fantastic equity for the future, we are constantly treading water to recuperate from the bad choices that are made each and every year. It’s hard to achieve a dominant level when you keep taking steps backwards.

Also I forgot to mention on your previous comment, but you said ALL employees HAVE TO be held accountable, how do YOU account for Lewand and Mayhew keeping their jobs based upon their particular job performance? I don’t see how you can explain how they were held accountable, in what way were they? Did they return all of the money they have ever received or pay fines, or get replaced by better decision makers? Where’s the justice there?

22. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 2:03 PM

getatmeplease:

Stafford has proven to be one of the best QBs in the league? Sounds a lot like an opinion to me and not a fact. Feel free to demonstrate how he completed this proving process.

And when you say I’m the biggest clown, you aren’t calling me fat I hope? ;)

23. getatmeplease says: Mar 20, 2013 2:27 PM

Football Outsiders ranked Stafford 10th and 12th in DVOA the past two seasons despite lacking a running game and a complementary WR to Calvin Johnson. Teams don’t have to blitz the Lions and can drop back in coverage knowing they can’t run the ball so he routinely throws into max coverage.

Despite this one-dimensional offense he’s still been able to put up above-average stats. How many 24 year old QBs out there have thrown for 10,000+ yards and 60+ TDs in two seasons?

24. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 2:48 PM

getatmeplease:

How many 24 year old QBs have Calvin Johnson to throw to and get more passing attempts than every other QB in the world regardless of age?

The Lions, under their strategy, lose the Super Bowl every year and went 4-12 most recently. I firmly believe if they went in the opposite direction to align with only logically justified player investments aka “winning value players”, in conjunction with exercising appropriate “exit strategies” for any valuable players they can’t keep for the long-term, then we would be competing for the Super Bowl each and every year and on a consistent basis.

And Stafford is one of our largest mistakes, but in totality ALL of our other mistakes combined is an even bigger issue. That’s important to keep in mind, because we could solve all of the other problems, or just this one, or everything, and at the end of the day these are all things for our GM to sort out and figure out, and thus far he has failed miserably in that regard and he has NO legitimate excuse! Not the salary cap system and not the rookie wage system and not greedy players. Those are just details, and they are details he has processed improperly in terms of the best way to manage those details.

25. staffordsrightbicep says: Mar 20, 2013 2:54 PM

@thestrategyexpert

Lewand and Mayhew took an otherwise terrible franchise and, with Schwartz’s help, have built a “contender”. Now how ever you choose to define contender is up to you, but my definition is that the Lions are no longer a team to be scoffed at. This team has the makings of a championship team when they are firing on all cylinders- as you and I know getting those cylinders to fire together all at once has been our downfall.

Its very hard to turn a miserable franchise like Detroit around after years in the gutter. Hell, if you want to feel better, look at the Jets and tell me you would rather switch places. We are on a steady rise; but like most of America we want instant gratification. It’s not an overnight endeavor to build a consistent winner.

I’m not about to throw Lewand/Mayhew/Schwartz under the bus only ONE year removed from our first playoff shot in over a decade, given our “stellar” history in the league.

26. getatmeplease says: Mar 20, 2013 3:26 PM

DVOA takes passing attempts into consideration. It accounts for volume and gives an average value. And he has Calvin Johnson but do you remember people saying Calvin was the best WR before 2011 (when Stafford played his first full season)? His stats have improved thanks to Stafford despite every other position remaining the same or lacking.

Also, answer my question, who would you have drafted in 2009? If they went with the consensus best OL, DL, WR, RB they’d have a mediocre player at best and in some cases no one at all seeing how several of those guys are FAs right now. The Lions were handcuffed with no talent thanks to Millen and forced to draft in the top 5. Thankfully, they hit on those draft picks but had to pay the high rookie wages before the new CBA.

27. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 3:31 PM

staffordsrightbicep:

I’m sorry but I fundamentally disagree with most of that. The quality of a “contender” that they are does not meet my expectations and demands.

Also, I think this sport is actually the easiest of the 4 major sports to go form worst to first. The Lions have had all kinds of golden opportunities for strategic reconfiguration to put them into an efficient and powerful position, and they flat out missed those opportunities or didn’t consider them. I’m not a casual fan, I have been dissecting their situation for many years and follow them hardcore on a daily basis and I can understand why you aren’t able to see what I see because I’ve spent an extra thousand hours or so coming to my conclusions beyond what I can portray here in just a reply post, so I understand why you are hesitant to see this team the way I do as making mistake after mistake, since you don’t even know all of the things I account for as mistakes and what the proper moves would have been. Vet my explanations fully and then it’s fair for you to compare my strategy against theirs from a philosophical and conceptual standpoint, and then I feel you would agree.

I don’t know what the Jets have to do with anything related to our team’s concerns, but I would agree with you that we are in a better spot than they are.

28. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 3:35 PM

getatmeplease:

We can play whatifs all day long, but that has to have a proper foundation. It makes a big difference who I would draft depending on when I had that power. Am I the new GM hired the day of the draft, or am I hired the previous year and have the offseason to clean house from inefficient bottlenecks that I desperately want to unload prior to approaching the draft?

It doesn’t matter who I would have drafted. What am I going to say, just name a good player and have you reply with oh that’s easy for you to say after the fact? If you really care about my draft opinions, then that’s great and all but a side convo here and now is not the right forum to analyze that, considering I don’t know beyond today if we will still be able to follow up with each other here. This isn’t ideal for that kind of convo. Hit me up via email if you wish and you can stay in touch with me and I will refer you to some other sites where I posted all my draft information and strategies at that time. The way I approach drafts isn’t about who would I draft so much as, what “shape” do you create in anticipation of the draft to get the right players in the right spots. And that’s a complicated thing to breakdown which we can eventually get into if you so wish to hear all of my ideas.

29. staffordsrightbicep says: Mar 20, 2013 4:12 PM

@thestrategyexpert

I’m actually in the camp now of you just like to troll for the sake of trolling. You speak nothing but platitudes and don’t really offer much of anything in the way of insight except that “I’ve done thousands of hours of research” as if I wouldn’t understand any of it.

And for the record I own and operate my own Detroit Lions blog, so I’m not what you would call a casual fan either.

But I think where you are truly naive is that you think building a contender (with your lofty expectations, apparently) is as simple and easy as you suggest.

30. getatmeplease says: Mar 20, 2013 4:35 PM

@thestrategyexpert

In other words, “I have no comeback to the point that there wasn’t a better pick than Stafford but I’ll come up with some BS excuse about how it’s too hard to explain.” Stafford was Mayhew’s first pick and he had that offseason to make moves which included shipping Roy Williams for 1st, 3rd, and 7th round picks… I’m sure you would have done something better but it’s too hard to explain here.

Based on all of the garbage you post on every Lions article I have no intention of keeping in touch with you. Take all the downvotes you routinely receive as a hint. You are not an “expert”. I don’t care how much “time” you put into your “analysis”. You can’t answer a simple question as to a better alternative than Stafford without several caveats and excuses… typical armchair QB.

31. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 20, 2013 4:51 PM

staffordsrightbicep:

Ok well I think that’s an unfair characterization seeing as I have no way to verify what percentage of all of my Internet posts you have read and I don’t believe you are coming to an objective conclusion here and I think your opinion. I don’t post complex strategy analyses on this site for obvious reasons of limitations to do that, and I am accustomed to operating in different forums of communication for when I’m trying to share my football mind with another.

And yeah I do feel it is extremely easy to do, for me to do, this is an area that I feel I am the expert and I simply don’t recognize Mayhew as one. I don’t think every job in the world is a good fit for every person. This particular department is what I feel is in my wheelhouse in terms of an area of great expertise. This shouldn’t be a debate about me on a personal level anyhow unless you are going to do a fair inspection of my ideas before judging the quality of them.

32. agnda21 says: Mar 22, 2013 6:16 AM

The most productive player on this team…give him what he wants!