Mike Mayock thinks the NFL has crossed a line with the helmet rule

mike-mayock-2 Getty Images

Add NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock to the list of football observers who don’t like the NFL’s new rule banning running backs from lowering their heads into tacklers.

Mayock, who played defensive back for the Giants in the 1980s and is now the top analyst on the league-owned cable channel, said shortly after the owners voted 31-1 to pass the new rule that the owners were wrong.

“While I applaud the league for most of what’s going on with the safety concerns, and all players and former plays applaud that, I look at this rule and I say, at some point I think we’re crossing a line,” Mayock said. “To me, a running back has got to be able to drop his pad level. And when a running back drops his pad level, his head goes with it. That’s just the way you play football. And from a defensive player’s perspective — which I was — I understand and respect that. I think it’s part of the game, and I don’t think you can legislate all contact and all forcible head hits out of this game.”

Mayock said he believes the NFL’s owners dramatically altered the sport of football today.

“I’m not a fan of this rule at all. I think it crosses a line. We all love safety, but at some point, football’s got to be football,” Mayock said. “If a running back can’t drop his pad level, I don’t think it’s football anymore.”

Permalink 129 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
129 Responses to “Mike Mayock thinks the NFL has crossed a line with the helmet rule”
  1. 4getu says: Mar 20, 2013 1:41 PM

So long NFL

2. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Mar 20, 2013 1:41 PM

And you thought Sanchez was the Butt Fumbler!!!!

The owners just Butt Fumbled the sanctity of the game!!!

3. etc4779 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:41 PM

Preach on brotha!!

4. mvp43 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:41 PM

AMEN!

5. hutch119 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:42 PM

Use your shoulder like you should be doing.

6. tripoint9109 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:42 PM

Mayock is the man!

7. kylexitron says: Mar 20, 2013 1:42 PM

hopefully anyone who’s drafted or traded for a RB recently is going to get some compensatory draft picks so they can rebuild their team the way the advertisers and executives would like them too.

8. norseyapper says: Mar 20, 2013 1:42 PM

Exactly right. You can’t drop your pad level without droppng your head. Dropping your head is now going to get some official 30 yards away from the play to throw his flag because he “thinks” the crown of the helmet might have made first contact.

9. ronp407 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

Does absolutely no one understand the rule? You can lower your pad level. You can lower your head. You just can’t have your head down.

10. 2ruefan says: Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

OK.. One more time for clarification:

1) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot drop his pads”
    2) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot lower his head”
    3) The rule does NOT refer to not being able to “LOWER” anything.

It prohibits a RB from DELIVERING a BLOW to the defender with the CROWN of his helmet.. and only OUTSIDE OF THE TACKLE BOX at that.

Can we PLEASE stop saying it “prohibits lowering” anything? It doesn’t.

11. panamon says: Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

Good thing a runningback can still drop his pad level.

12. garonm says: Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

If this rule actually gets enforced I will stop watching football all together. End of story!

13. nfloracle says: Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

31 to 1…

That’s truly remarkable.

Surely the old school NFL players in the Great Beyond are shaking their heads in disbelief and saying things like, “They’ll be making ‘em play in skirts next.”

14. jaymind04 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

Attempting to make the game safer for the players is a noble pursuit. But at some point, these rule changes are nothing more than PR moves, with a difficult-to-enforce practicality. You simply can’t make football completely safe, whatever new rules you attempt to implement.

15. paleandpasty says: Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

Its not that big of a deal cause they will outlaw tackling soon too. What a joke. I long for football of the 80′s and 90′s when a d back could actually play defense and jam players.

16. bigbaldpapahawk says: Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

Mike Mayock wanted some people to agree with him for a little bit until draft day when he throws all common sense out of the window.

17. friskyd13 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

I totally agree… shame…

18. themagicman1223 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

No doubt they did.

19. baddegg says: Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

I totally agree with this. While some are saying, it only means you can’t hit with the crown, there is a HUGE grey area here allowing refs to alter games.

If I am lowering my shoulders and trying to dive for an extra yard, then my head is gonna drop, period. And the ref can flag me.

This can happen just by lowering your shoulders and diving for that extra yard…even when you are not trying to spear someone with your head.

20. zappa754 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

Why don’t they just put skirts on and sing show tunes

21. nzayir says: Mar 20, 2013 1:45 PM

Agree with Mayock 100%. If you don’t want to get hurt don’t play football. It’s that simple.

22. sadskinsfan89 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:46 PM

Preach it. someone needs to speak out

23. justintuckrule says: Mar 20, 2013 1:46 PM

@truefan – are you the one in a trillion humans on the earth whose head detaches from his body?

24. baddegg says: Mar 20, 2013 1:47 PM

2ruefan says:Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

OK.. One more time for clarification:

1) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot drop his pads”
    2) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot lower his head”
    3) The rule does NOT refer to not being able to “LOWER” anything.

Can we PLEASE stop saying it “prohibits lowering” anything? It doesn’t.

—–

These are great clarifications, but there is still a concern that if I just lower my pads/head to dive for an extra yard or avoid a crushing blow, then inadvertantly i’ll be pointing the crown of my helmet in the direction of the defender. It’s not so easy to parse it out here, and that is where the ref interpretation and subsequent CF will emerge.

25. eastofmissball says: Mar 20, 2013 1:48 PM

3RD & 1 > PUNT IT….

26. tatatoothy says: Mar 20, 2013 1:48 PM

The NFL is becoming as frustrating as the federal government.

27. maddog111 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:48 PM

Hats off to Mike Brown for having the balls to vote no on this.

28. ajb3313 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:49 PM

These talking heads always carry on and complain when a rule changes. If they sat at there complacently on air and said, “yeah, new rule sounds good to me,” well, there wouldn’t be a television show.

Not that people don’t have legitimate gripes against the rule, but I think a lot of the backlash is fabricated and exaggerated on purpose. Like, do people really think this singular rule is going to put the NFL out of business and send the sport of American football slinking into its grave? C’mon.

29. chipwade says: Mar 20, 2013 1:49 PM

I think this rule while actually make the game less safer for RB’s. They will be timid to drop their pad levels and and take harder hits.

30. pillowporkers says: Mar 20, 2013 1:49 PM

I’m all for player safety too. This rule, however, is just another judgement call. As everyone knows, judgement calls are the most controversial. Isn’t that why they took out the push-out rule for WRs in the air? There is no way to make this call without controversy, unfortunately. Eventually, this call will cost a team a game. It’s the sad truth.

31. sepl12 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:49 PM

Dickersons record is officially safe. I haven’t made up my mind if I’m for or against this rule yet, but one thing is for sure, it will limit power runners like Adrian Peterson. What ever Vegas puts the over under for Peterson’s rushing yards, take the under because this rule will take time adjusting to.

32. tylertib09 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:49 PM

Goring to see a lot of missed 3rd and inches

33. raiderufan says: Mar 20, 2013 1:50 PM

The fact that this rule takes effect once the runner leaves the tackle box gives me a little more comfort.

That said…I still think it’s a bad rule. Pass interference has grown into not being able to breathe hard while the ball is in the air. In it’s current configuration this rule seems somewhat legit but all rules and the enforcement evolve over time and as soon as one dude get’s concussed severely from a dropped head in the tackle box you best believe they’ll act and act quick.

This rule isn’t the end of football as we know it….it’s just another step closer to the end.

34. bigbenh8tr says: Mar 20, 2013 1:50 PM

16 Running backs reached 1,000 yards this past season.

I will put the over/under at 9 for this season. How many fumbles will occur when backs have to stretch for first downs vs. bulldozing their way to the marker. The only backs that can lower their shoulder without their helmet are fat/slow – Bettis, Foster (not Arian, Barry), Alstott (Fullback) etc.

This is ridiculous, and only doing this with the hopes that all these safety measures affect the massive lawsuit against the NFL.

Love to see if Mayock gets fined by Goodell for saying what 75% of football fans, players, coaches believe.

35. dowhatifeellike says: Mar 20, 2013 1:52 PM

Fortunately, Mayock isn’t responsible for the safety of the players or the welfare of the league.

36. justwinsomeday says: Mar 20, 2013 1:52 PM

Just another sad commentary of our current society. Next we’ll stop keeping score cause we don’t want any of the millionaires to feel like “losers”……

37. scottplayersfacemask says: Mar 20, 2013 1:52 PM

Can you even fathom the number and length of delays in the game this will cause.? They’ll have their heads stuck in that replay tent on every other running play trying to figure this out. To me the game delays are almost worse than the 178 commercials per hour, almost.

38. swashbucklin says: Mar 20, 2013 1:52 PM

This reeks of goodell trying to phase at the running game, maybe even altogether one day like with kickoffs. I mean the passing game puts butts in the seat right? If this passes the powderpuff nfl will be officially on its way.

39. bharr170 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:52 PM

Can’t blame the Bengals!

40. mwatts1 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:52 PM

If this rule makes you stop watching the NFL then you were a casual fan to begin with (which is okay people). I live and breath this stuff and there’s no way I’ll stop watching the NFL. I LOVE THE SPORT TOO MUCH!

41. dowhatifeellike says: Mar 20, 2013 1:53 PM

baddegg says:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:47 PM
    2ruefan says:Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

OK.. One more time for clarification:

1) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot drop his pads”
    2) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot lower his head”
    3) The rule does NOT refer to not being able to “LOWER” anything.

Can we PLEASE stop saying it “prohibits lowering” anything? It doesn’t.

—–

—-

42. thefhaloanguy says: Mar 20, 2013 1:53 PM

Well I guess it’s back to hunting and fishing in the fall. The nfl just turned me off.

43. dryzzt23 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:53 PM

NFL Players caused this by litigation.
    The NFL as a whole must protect itself from lawsuits from the players and minimize liability. Yet the players INSIST on suing the NFL for injuries that may or may not have been incurred as part of their playing football.
    Since the NFL is being sued for tens of millions, they must close ranks and make NFL football a pansy game.
    Therefore all of the blame falls squarely on the NFLPA and the players themselves.

44. sharks123 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:53 PM

2ruefan and ronp407 Right on the money.

45. scottplayersfacemask says: Mar 20, 2013 1:54 PM

Pads = helmet. Remember, most of these guys have no neck.

46. chc4 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:54 PM

The problems will come in the enforcement of this rule… just like the defenseless WR deal. One ref will call it one way and another completely differently. It will be impossible to uniformly apply the rule.

47. halbert53 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:54 PM

The National Flagfootball League season officially kicks off (oops, that may soon be a thing of the past too) this fall.

48. mfshort34 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:54 PM

So how many of the plays currently involved in NFL.com’s “The Greatest Play of All Time” promotion would have been excluded if this rule had been in place? Marshawn Lynch’s “beast mode” vs the Saints, Earl Campbell’s jersey rip and Walter Payton’s amazing run vs the Chiefs (the original beast mode) were all included in the bracket. I’m sure there were more.

49. cowboylover says: Mar 20, 2013 1:55 PM

I’m interested to know who’s the one owner who voted against.

50. dabigbangclock says: Mar 20, 2013 1:55 PM

I already don’t enjoy the NFL nearly as much as I did during the pre-defenseless receiver rules era circa 2008. And every yr since then the product on the field has gotten a little worse. Looks like the trend continues in 2013.

The league needs to stop doing everything they possibly can to not lose this potential league shattering player safety lawsuit. Because the way they are going no one will care about the league by that point and there wont be nay fortune to potentially lose.

If players want to risk their mental health later in life for the glory and the payday now they should be allowed to do so.

Bring back the real NFL! Throw out all rule changes since 2008!

51. gochargersgo says: Mar 20, 2013 1:56 PM

hutch119 says:Mar 20, 2013 1:42 PM

“If a defender can’t use the crown of his helmet like a weapon why should an offensive player be allowed to.

Use your shoulder like you should be doing.

Only downside with this is it adds another judgment call for Refs to blow which will inevitably happen.”

Wrong. Defenders can use their helmets, just not on “defenseless receivers”.

52. mfshort34 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:56 PM

Kind of strange to promote those plays on your website while you’re voting to eliminate them.

53. redwinglion says: Mar 20, 2013 1:56 PM

“The sky is falling! The sky is falling!”

–PFT comment section

Please. Get a life, guys. This isn’t going to “ruin the game of football.” The only thing that could ruin the game of football is constant lawsuits from former players, which are the exact reason for this rule.

Look–You’re NOT going to stop watching. You’re NOT going to stop buying NFL merchandise. It’s NOT going to slow the game down. It’s NOT going to eliminate toughness from the game.

If anything, this will extend careers. That’s a good thing.

54. calicowboysfan86 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:56 PM

The officials are already dreading next season…

55. skoobyfl says: Mar 20, 2013 1:57 PM

Ralph Wilson was the dissenting vote, he thought he’d have to pay or helmets.

56. demolition510 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:57 PM

Next up, let’s remove the stiff arm

57. gochargersgo says: Mar 20, 2013 1:58 PM

baddegg says:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:47 PM
    2ruefan says:Mar 20, 2013 1:43 PM

OK.. One more time for clarification:

1) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot drop his pads”
    2) The rule does NOT STATE “cannot lower his head”
    3) The rule does NOT refer to not being able to “LOWER” anything.

Can we PLEASE stop saying it “prohibits lowering” anything? It doesn’t.

—–

—-

Defenders also have issues with inadvertent head contact. Now it goes both ways.”

Again, defenders are allowed to use their helmets when tackling. Just not on defenseless receivers or sliding QBs. Now the entire picture is muddied. Are defenders allowed to lead with their helmets on tackles?

58. whodat318 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:58 PM

I totally disagree with Mike Mayock. I am a Pop Warner youth football coach with one of the top organizations in the country and what I see in the NFL today is a lack of fundamentals that todays players have left behind from what they were taught growing up. Just because your pad level drops doesn’t mean your head has to follow. There is not a youth football coach in the country teaching kids to play the game the way these professional guys play it. We always stress to our kids the importance of keeping your pad level low and your head up!!! These guys don’t even make proper fit form tackles anymore. The NFL needs to get back to the fundamentals of the game instead of running around like human missles. While we may not like the new rule, it is definitely a proactive attempt at making the game safer.

59. wikipediasaidso says: Mar 20, 2013 1:58 PM

This rule may indeed suck, but I’d like to see the competition committee’s film reel on what constitutes legal vs. illegal contact from a ball carrier before deciding.

60. bouchez9393 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:59 PM

pretty soon, the superbowl will be the halftime show for the lingerie bowl!

61. kowallazy says: Mar 20, 2013 1:59 PM

Today might be the first time I actually agree with Mike Mayock on something.

62. mfshort34 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:00 PM

They’re going to cutdown on concussions by increasing cases of whiplash. If you’re getting hit in the body, tucking your head protects your neck. I’m not even a doctor and I know that. A snapped neck may be the on-field death Goodell fears.

63. metalman5150 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:04 PM

Rugby.

64. sanitytrek says: Mar 20, 2013 2:05 PM

What is all the crybaby reaction all about? If you use your head to tackle or make a tackle you risk severe injury or death to you or your target.

So it makes sense to remove it from the game. I coach little league and have done so for years and we consistantly preach to NOT use the head.

It honestly baffles me that this is an issue. Why would you want to use your head in the first place?

Quit your crying people!

65. cmdrsmooth says: Mar 20, 2013 2:05 PM

Why no airbags in helmets and/face masks?

66. arackowski says: Mar 20, 2013 2:05 PM

For the people who support the rule, please show me a running back who runs with authority in a way which would not be penalized.

Maybe then I can get behind the rule, but until then, it sounds like a sure way to get your head taken off as a running back.

67. dpaulson7 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:05 PM

The art of the form tackle going away to the EA Madden head down, elbow up, launch so the crowd can go awe, while the back gets 10 more because no one can wrap up is what has caused this rule.
    Butkus,Bednerick, Atwater, Tatum, Hayes, Kenny Easly, Lott….I can go on forever! These guys killed people, but all of them did it with form tackling. Heads up, POP, Wrap and explode. How is it that injuries are minimal in professional Rugby with NO PADS! The NFL needs to train from Pop Warner up. Coaches should be tested, tracked, on injuries, infractions, knowledge, and training. The game should not be tampered with, it is too good, it simply needs to teach at the lowest level up the correct way to play. Homework- YouTube Bednerick hit on Frank Gifford. Heads up, pop, Wrap, and drive. Clean and awesome. Knocked Gifford out the entire next year, but it was clean! Want to see that brand of football again

68. purple1967 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:06 PM

So if I lower my pads/head but keep my face UP I’m good to go…until my neck snaps back and my head falls off? Do I have this correct??

69. cincybert says: Mar 20, 2013 2:07 PM

I agree completely with Mayock, this rule changes the way the game is played. Many of the great runs in NFL history… Walter Payton’s run against the Chiefs and Earl Campbell’s run against the Rams come to mind…would be penalties under this rule. That is a shame.

70. lightninglucci says: Mar 20, 2013 2:07 PM

This new rule is more consistent with what defensive backs have to do. The problem will be the same:

There will be flags for perfectly legal hits because the ref thought there was head-to-head contact when there really wasn’t.

I think the solution may be to make it so coaches can CHALLENGE these specific penalties.

71. kpow55 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:08 PM

Sweet, all the people claiming they are done with the NFL…. More elbow room at the stadiums, shorter food lines and lanes opening up on the freeway on my way in.

If you’r officially done, i take it I wont see you comment on any further stories as your officially done and don’t care, correct?

Anything less makes you either weak willed or a blow hard liar with a severe chicken hawk syndrome.

72. cornerblitz says: Mar 20, 2013 2:09 PM

Right on!

73. Deb says: Mar 20, 2013 2:10 PM

So glad Mayock is speaking out on this issue–though apparently it’s too late. Bitterly disappointed the usually level-headed Rooneys voted with Goodell on this one. Where’s the medical research to back up his claims this will make the game safer? As usual, Goodell has acted without data to support his knee-jerk notions. He’s killing the sport, and the owners are too busy counting their money to notice.

74. mushin9 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:11 PM

So what happens when a saftey comes downhill with his helmet dropped and collides with a RB with his helmet dropped? Offsetting penalties?

75. bigbamboom1 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:13 PM

What’s next? Will the NFL penalize defensive linemen or linebackers who make head to head contact with running backs at the line of scrimmage on just about every other running play? Or will they penalize the runner for spearing the behemoths?

Football world to NFL and Commish Goodell: You are in the gladiator sports business! Where violence and near death collisions are part of the game. The only way out of this should be obvious to you. If you want to reduce head trauma violence.

GO BACK TO LEATHER HELMETS WITH NO FACE MASKS. The players will quickly adjust on both sides of the ball, without provocation. Spearing will miraculously vanish. And every dentist in America will give you a standing “O” and smile brightly!

76. keylimelight says: Mar 20, 2013 2:16 PM

This rule seems to be inviting neck injuries.

And to echo Deb’s comment just above this one, the owners are deciding these changes and are too busy counting their money to consider the consequences.

77. woodley56 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:18 PM

baddegg says:
    Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

————————————————
    right…the refs have a hard enough time figuring out what is a “real helmet to helmet” vs a “shoulder pad to helmet” how and the heck are they going to figure this one out???????????? I feel bad for the players honestly!

78. kw27p says: Mar 20, 2013 2:19 PM

The beginning of the end of the running back running the ball. They’re officially back field pass catchers now

79. georgeoscarbluth says: Mar 20, 2013 2:19 PM

For the love of God! You’re taught all the way back in pee wee football that you should never lower your head. When you lower your pads, you keep your head up. The NFL has made a lot of bad changes over the past decade, but this isn’t one of them.

Oh, and for all of you jumping on the “zomg nfl is dead!!1″ bandwagon, I guarantee you’ll be watching the NFL draft next month and be just as giddy as you are every year once training camp rolls around.

80. fargovikesfan says: Mar 20, 2013 2:20 PM

apparently there will now be a new drill at the scouting combine for running backs. If you can’t bend your head backwards 90 degrees while lowering your shoulders, you can’t play running back.

81. raiderspride says: Mar 20, 2013 2:22 PM

Horrible rule change… But, at least I can still watch real football.

The CFL starts June 12th. Go Lions!

82. nfl fan says: Mar 20, 2013 2:23 PM

What makes you think we care what Mike Mayock thinks?

83. keylimelight says: Mar 20, 2013 2:23 PM

There is a kneeling pad for worksite use and gardeners made of thick, soft plastic covered foam that you can get at the hardware stores.

If the owners are willing to implement this rule, then I foresee them willing to change to a soft helmet with this type of material on the OUTSIDE of future helmets eliminating hard contact surfaces altogether.

It seems like we’re heading (no pun intended) in that direction–for better or worse.

84. woodley56 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:24 PM

purple1967 says:
    Mar 20, 2013 2:06 PM

———————————————
    This made me chuckle but yes you are exactly correct….keep that head up but its ok you can lower pads allowing your chin to be jammed up instead your nasal bones losing both lips inside your nostils………………..just like the no helmet to helmet rule…you can tackle but make sure that head is up or to the side for fear your helmet may accidently brush your opponents helmet…Geeesh!!!!!

85. trollhammer20 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:26 PM

So, if this rule were in place last year, instead of Jacquizz Rogers knocking over Earl Thomas for a 30 yard gain, the Falcons are backed up inside their 10 yard line after the penalty.

86. keylimelight says: Mar 20, 2013 2:26 PM

I value what Mike Mayock’s opinion. His ability to evaluate talent and his knowledge of the game is a cut above your rank and file, former player commentary.

87. hillzmickelzon says: Mar 20, 2013 2:27 PM

Roger goodell the man who killed football, all those ex players working in new york for the Nfl has no say at all just puppets looking for a paycheck. Art shell was too scared to play marcus allen because of al davis do you really think he is gonna speak up in the leauge office and say this is a bad rule? Do they not hear the fans? I am sure football will not be around in 20 years after this vote,anyone who played football has heard a coach tell a running back stick your head in there and get us 3 yards. PFT dont you guys know when football is over your not gonna have anything to talk about? Roger goodell THE MAN WHO KILLED FOOTBALL..

88. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 20, 2013 2:28 PM

Just put flags and pink tutus on them and call it a day.

89. gmenfan1982 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:30 PM

Here’s an idea . The players play the game. How about THEY vote on rule changes?

90. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 20, 2013 2:33 PM

Welcome to the new “NFL Lite”
    Similar to the original except watered down to satisfy the lawyers.

Stalin may have been right after all.

91. billh1947 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:35 PM

Its a good thing that the Vikings signed Greg Jennings as their go to reciever because their running game will see alot of flags with AP running in the open field until a defender nears and then he drops his head before the collision causing a flag on him,the passing game will have to make up all those penalty yards assessed and Jennings will be very busy,if Ponder can get the ball to him.

92. bigj7769 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:38 PM

He opposes this rule, but in 5 years will be suing the NFL because of concussions. The ex-players did this to themselves. Sue the NFL to death cause they need the money, then when they try to prevent further problems, the NFL gets blasted.

93. billh1947 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:38 PM

Does this mean that diving for first downs past the line of scrimmage is illegal when being tackled,after all you dive with your head first and thats a penalty.flaggggggggg!!!

94. barneyrumble says: Mar 20, 2013 2:40 PM

Not a big Marshall Faulk fan but he knows the game and I sometimes question Mayock on his draft stock, so to agree with both at the same time tells me that maybe there is something to this with three great football minds in alignment. Not going to quit watching or any of that and doubt anyone who says they will boycott is for real or they wouldn’t be here at this site! But, just let them play the game and call unnecessary roughness on either side if necessary.

95. blackngold4life says: Mar 20, 2013 2:41 PM

Like Foster said..these rules are voted on by Fokes who never playd the game. wonder who was the 1 Nay vote? My guess it was Jerry Jones or Mr Rooney the other 31 need to ne ashamed..this should be fun to watch

96. qdog112 says: Mar 20, 2013 2:46 PM

nzayir says: Mar 20, 2013 1:45 PM

**********************
    That’s not what Mayock said at all. This is not a rule driven by the players, so it’s not them suggesting they are afraid of getting hurt. That’s all on you. They accept the risk.

The problem is that none of these guys ever played and apparently don’t understand “getting low” is a form of protection. Not to mention, all running want forward momentum.

A runner going 20 mph, being hit in the chest and stomach area by another 250 lb runner at 20 mph, ain’t gonna be pretty. Did I mention that getting low also protects the legs?

97. Deb says: Mar 20, 2013 2:49 PM

@blackngold4life …

The one nay vote was Mike Brown.

98. blackngold4life says: Mar 20, 2013 3:05 PM

Wow..wouldn’t have guessed him at all. Thanks for that info

99. suckit619 says: Mar 20, 2013 3:12 PM

In related news, Roger Goodell has fined Mike Mayock $100,000 for his comments.

100. ninerfan81 says: Mar 20, 2013 3:23 PM

I will say this as a young guy who played RB up until junior high, we have a natural inclination to drop our head gear, its not even necessarily tought its a natural human instinct. WITH THAT SAID, I’VE NEVER seen a RB intentionally drop his head gear to the point of having his eyes parallel to the field with an inability to see his defender, acting as a spear head. #1 even as a 10yr old we’re smart enough to know that “doesnt feel right” and you could get hurt and #2 we cant see the defender whom if we really want to “truck”, we need to line up properly through the point of attack. This rule is cosmetic to appease those outside of football as a “MAJOR” measure to make the game safer…this doesn’t necessarily make the game safer but adds another layer of complexity to an already difficult gig for officials. There will be a fair number of idiotic calls on the offensive player AND it will impact how RB’s behave at the goal line where savage running and pad level is essential. Good job fooling the masses on a “non issue”. There has not been a bevy of RB “spearings” to begin with in my opinion.

101. jt2892 says: Mar 20, 2013 3:24 PM

This won’t cut down on the amount of concussions…. it will just increase the amount of yellow laundry on the field!

102. ill42 says: Mar 20, 2013 3:28 PM

I miss the days when Al Davis used to abstain from all league votes, it always made me laugh.

Secondly, I think we are less than 10 years away from the NFFL (National Flag Football League).

103. modellforprez says: Mar 20, 2013 3:34 PM

might as well Just put flags on each side of the players and stop tackling all together. thats the road they are on. usually never agree with mayock but on this one i do.

104. albinorhino49 says: Mar 20, 2013 3:38 PM

But players can still push refs around in the superbowl.

105. jeffm916 says: Mar 20, 2013 3:38 PM

Welcome to the new 11 on 11 NFL passing league!!

106. vngnce says: Mar 20, 2013 3:42 PM

I know this is an empty gesture at the moment…

it took my wife two hours to convince me to renew our season tickets last week, primarily because I couldn’t see the point anymore. I wasn’t enjoying this brand of football, and instead of being entertained, just got more angry at all the dumb penalties called for playing football.

Fine, it is safer. Fine, it has more long term sustainability. Whatever. But it doesn’t entertain me. I want to see the massive hits. I want to see fear from wide receivers. I want to see running backs blow up DBs. Maybe it makes me sub-human, I don’t know, but that is what I enjoy. I can live vicariously for a few hours per week through these gladiators, and feel better. Guys don’t want to play the game because it is too dangerous, I totally respect that – just don’t play. Don’t make everyone else bend to your wishes.

I am not even mad anymore. I knew last week I would be disappointed by the sport again this season. This just clarifies the reason. First flag I see on this I turn the channel to something else. I don’t enjoy this anymore.

107. unnamedxsource says: Mar 20, 2013 3:43 PM

zappa754 says: Mar 20, 2013 1:44 PM

Why don’t they just put skirts on and sing show tunes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreed. They already have them wearing pink for half the season, why not just go all the way…

108. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Mar 20, 2013 3:45 PM

@2ruefan

Can we PLEASE stop saying it “prohibits lowering” anything? It doesn’t.

—————

Can you PLEEEEAAAAZZZE just shut up?! It does!!!

109. oldbyrd says: Mar 20, 2013 3:51 PM

Lets just go to Professional Flag Football. The rules are ruing the game. Just like the Government ruins your life.

110. southbeachtalent says: Mar 20, 2013 3:53 PM

I played the game and I can’t imagine playing without lowering your head.. The refs are going to have a tough job. I don’t see this sport lasting another 20 yrs.

Thanks again Lawyers!!!!

111. melikefootball says: Mar 20, 2013 3:55 PM

When Godel in 2010 steped up the fines on hits or what he and his cronies in the league office felt was a wrong way of playing the game the game started down hill. Each year since then from cheating, bounties ,suspensions , heavier fines , so many new rules ,the NFL has lost touch of the game and became totally a money machine. The line was crossed when Godel wanted to run the show.

112. saudogg says: Mar 20, 2013 3:58 PM

The ones who are most vocal about the rule changes are typically the ones who understand the rule the least.

113. mullman76 says: Mar 20, 2013 4:00 PM

The bottom line is that the the refs are given another judgement call to make.

Not good for the game. At least have it replayed. Take the time to get it correct.

114. serapheem says: Mar 20, 2013 4:01 PM

WTH?!? Why did the NFL do… let Gary Bettman be in charge for a day?

Seriously, I think there is about 5 years left of watchable football before the NFL is in the same boat as the NHL…unwatchable.

115. tmcb7 says: Mar 20, 2013 4:04 PM

The problem is not the rule (well, okay the rule sucks…), but the problem is going to be how each officiating crew calls the rule.
    Because the way interference and personal fouls are called now… it’s all subjective from crew to crew. Extremely frustrating.

116. pillowporkers says: Mar 20, 2013 4:12 PM

People commenting on what the fuss 80% of fans have, get a clue. It’s not the spirit of the rule that people have problems with. I’m all for player safety and proper tackling. That’s living in a perfect world that doesn’t include the most violent game, though. The problems include:

1. Unable for this rule to be regulated due to the fact that’s it’s attempting to change natural instinct in a situation where neither the defender or the ballcarrier are defenseless. Both will do whatever they feel is the most natural way to protect themselves.
    2. Unable for officials to call without being crucified because it’s another judgement call. I feel bad for them already.
    3. Because this is an open field penalty, this penalty will only be called on large gains, meaning revoking first downs and other game changing issues.
    4. The game will now take slightly longer (as is the case every year). More penalties, more time.

117. sjoyner59 says: Mar 20, 2013 4:39 PM

what a total joke,lets just cut too the case and play flag football

118. rmfp1978 says: Mar 20, 2013 4:47 PM

Everyone understands the rule its been stated on here over and over again. The fact is the nfl and goodell is changing the sport of football and it is just another step of losing fans interest. In fact I believe the only thing saving the sport to date is fantasy football. Ive always like watching the sport on a professional level but in the last five years I find myself turning to ncaa more and more each year, I would say where the sport is still pure but theres plenty of greed to go around on that level as well. Bottom line nfl should be paying off the person who created fantasy football

119. mudmandenny says: Mar 20, 2013 5:01 PM

You can lower your pads and keep your head up by doing the duckwalk, but that doesn`t make it good football. They cite 11 instances in a total of 32 games, nearly evenly divided between offensive and defensive players. The defense is already penalized , so they`re talking about roughly 50 possible occurrences( 3 a week X16 weeks) in an entire NFL season. Seriously?

120. datsanono says: Mar 20, 2013 5:24 PM

We just called and dropped the NFL ticket. Now we’ll probably drop direcTV also. It’s the only reason we got direcTV. Arena football is almost the same as the NFL now. Let the players regulate the games themselves. Creating all these rules like the tuck rule is why QBs like Brady can play in the league for 15 or 20 years. It’s getting ridiculous and we are ready to move onto other sports and other things to do in the fall.

121. boogerhut says: Mar 20, 2013 5:50 PM

Just like the phantom off. PI plays that killed drives last year, and phantom def. PI calls that extended drives last yer, this will now give the refs another way to determine the outcome of games. Will it be challengeable? Probably not. Time to make receivers wiggle “spirit hands” while going deep down the sidelines to make sure that the DBs see them coming. And make all players curtsy after a TD while you’re at it.

122. backstageatapuppetshow says: Mar 20, 2013 5:58 PM

The difference between a ball carrier dropping his head and a defender dropping his head is that the ball carrier has 11 men paid to get him to the ground…..the defender has 1 and at most 2 men blocking him….

Huge Difference….

As long as we allow the lawyers to infiltrate the NFL this is what we can expect…..

123. jimthebuilder27 says: Mar 20, 2013 6:54 PM

Damn straight. He hit it right on the head!

124. dawglb says: Mar 20, 2013 8:44 PM

Redwinglion, your earlier comment should be on a huge billboard in each NFL City….. Well said.

125. ytownjoe says: Mar 20, 2013 11:03 PM

People will watch anyway.

126. curtdog63 says: Mar 21, 2013 6:28 AM

It’s kind of ironic the nfl promote atheletes to be the biggest, fastest, strongest they can be for the NFL. Then on the flip side when these big strong athletes go to banging heads you get scared, what did you expect!! NFL is so soft now its ridiculous, some old rich white men protecting their investments, they dont give a sh!t about those players.

127. skarfacci says: Mar 21, 2013 10:04 AM

These rules are designed to increase scoring. A roundabout way to limit defensive control of the game. And save face, and avoid future litigation.

128. ayrtoncar says: Mar 23, 2013 8:09 AM

nfl fan says:
    Mar 20, 2013 2:23 PM
    What makes you think we care what Mike Mayock thinks?
    ———————————————————————————–
    Well,for starters you clicked on and read a story titled ” Mike Mayock thinks the NFL has crossed a line…”.

129. toonloonboon says: Mar 27, 2013 1:29 AM

so if it was next year, not only would the jets have fumbled the ball and let the opposing defense score, but mark sanchez would have been flagged for butt phucking the guard with his head?? im sorry, but that would be comedy gold, i want the rule just for that.