Ed Reed reaches deal with Texans

AP

Ed Reed looks set to be playing elsewhere in 2013.

CBS’ Jason La Canfora reports that the Texans and Reed have reached a contract agreement. Brad Davis, an advisor to Reed, told La Canfora that an agreement has been struck, with only a few details to be worked out before the contract is finalized.

Per La Canfora, the contract is for two years.

Reed, 34, has 61 career interceptions, all with the Ravens. He notched 58 tackles, defended 15 passes and picked off four passes in 2012 for Baltimore. He added an interception in Baltimore’s victory in Super Bowl XLVII, further adding to his legacy of rising to the occasion in big games.

The Texans, who have yet to advance beyond the divisional round in their history, are counting upon Reed to replace Glover Quin — and to help push them forward in the AFC playoff chase.

Reed was N0. 35 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.

111 responses to “Ed Reed reaches deal with Texans

1. A new era has dawned in Bmore. So long 20, glad to see you got that ring before you left.

Best gift ever.

2. Sad sad day in Baltimore, Reeeeeeeeedddd!!!!! was a beast for us back there at safety and I think if he gets healthy in the offseason he’ll be a beast for the Texans.

See ya in the reg season Reed

3. texans fans you got an all time great. a true leader and no one studies harder. he has slowed down a step or two and wont hit but every oc and qb still game plans for him. we will miss you in baltimore ed. thanks for all the memories and go ravens!

4. These defending Super Bowl champs are going to have an ugly looking roster that withers in comparison to the championship team.

Ed Reed is one of the best ballhawks to ever play the game. If not the best.

5. As a Skins fan I imagine this would feel like losing Fletch. I sympathize with the ravens.

I don’t mean to stir the pot, it just has to be said…

Joe Flacco man.

6. Wow great signing for the Texans. Not sure what he has left in the tank but one of the greatest ever at his position. The Ravens have alot of work to do to replace all these guys.

7. As much as I hate ratbirds, gotta admit that Ed Reed is a hall of famer. Glad he isn’t in the AFC North any longer.

8. Wow. Expected Reed to leave the Ravens, even believe it’s in their best interest. But it’s still strange to think of him playing in another uniform. Sad day for Ravens fans, and I doubt Ed will find the grass so green for him in Texas as it was in Baltimore. Much as I hated having my Steelers go up against him, he was a heckuva player to watch and helped make our rivalry great.

9. Hate to see him go.
    I think he is on the way down so hope he doesn’t hurt himself going after the bucks.

10. He might slap on a Houston jersey, but that man will always be a Raven. Looking forward to the Texans matchup this year and seeing Reed have his name etched in the Raven Ring of Honor.

A defensive era begins, but the fact remains the same: Ravens are on top, hate on haters.

11. @ flash1283

I guess you never heard of Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, Vonta Leach, Dennis Pitta, Torrey Smith, Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Courtney Upshaw, or Lardarius Webb.

12. sad to see u leave Ed.it seems like since ray lew retired coach got rid of all the guys with influence on the team .coach wants yes men .suggs probably the only one who will speak up now when things don’t go well

13. If Reed really only got 4 mil a year for signing with the Texans, I’m really disappointed. I mean for 4 mil and his leadership and the chance to retire a Raven seems worth it.

14. In Rick Smith we trust! Thank u Rick! Great signing! Reed is the ballhawk we have been missing. He def has 2 good years left and our Def just got a lot better! Reed, Watt, Cush, J Jo and the ninja! Let’s go!

15. You lost both Starting Safeties, 3 starting linebackers, your clutch veteran Wr, Starting Corner, Starting Center and its not over yet!!! Ravens have good players..But this is going to tickle!!

16. It’s Sad to see Ed go I would have Loved to see him retire a Raven like Ray or Retire now and leave being a SB Champ. Good Luck to Ed, he’s an All Time Great and One of the Greatest Safeties ever.

17. That Flacco contract has doomed the Ravens for this upcoming season. I don’t doubt that they’ll bounce back eventually but that will take time. Remember Flacco’s cap numbers gets bigger next year.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but the two Ohio teams look like the class of the AFC North.

18. Im not a Ravens fan in the least bit, but even I got a sad sense of loss with this news…good luck to him in Houston.

19. @ bigdog3300

Okay, I’ll grant you Upshaw isn’t an elite defensive star among the other guys I had named. But Pitta is definitely an excellent tight end. He took a pretty rough hit in the championship game against the Patriots, and on the very next play he caught a TD pass from Flacco. He is the real deal.

Oh I forgot to mention Jacoby Jones on my original list too. Mea culpa.

20. Gotta say it looks like the 2003-2004 Patriots position as the last team to repeat as Super Bowl champions is more then safe.

21. Ravens got a Ring of Honor?? who’s in it? Tony Saragusa? Lol Lol that’s took funny!

22. This reminds me of the day Dawkins left Philly and signed with Denver. Reed is one of the best to ever play that position, and it’s a shame he doesn’t get to retire a Raven… He will be missed, flags fly at half staff in Balt tonight

23. I’m glad he got his SB in Baltimore! In his prime, that man closed quicker on the ball than anyone I’ve ever seen. I wish nothing but the best for Ed Reed in Houston!

The Ravens D ranked 26th last year, yet they still won the SB, so they’ve proven they can win it all even with a bad defense. Now’s the perfect time to reload the D!

24. Ozzie doesn’t lose players. He either get’s them, or let’s them walk.

You don’t replace an Ed Reed, but this is a very deep safety draft class. Lots of quality guys in this years class.

25. Thanks for all of those years Ed. I wish you the best. Ravens Ring of Honor for sure. I just hope Texans fans don’t expect you to tackle anybody.

26. BTW – I keep hearing that Boldin hasn’t taken his physical in SF yet. This means his $7M cap number still is on the Ravens’ books. I wonder how much this had to do with not being able to re-sign Reed.

27. The funniest comment I keep seeing is that ” the Flacco contract has nothing to do with this”, it’s cap friendly for 3 years.. oh yeah, then what? that contract counts as 35mil against the cap? And why has half the team left? Ravens are not only taking a step back, they are taking 3 or 4 steps back. Back to irrelevance, but at least Flacco got paid right? What a joke

28. R Lewis, Ed Reed, Ellerbee, FSU Bolden, Pollard, Krueger…I love me some BMore but I must say it will be a long time for them to hoist another trophy. Newsome will be looking for employment soon..

29. southpaw2k says: Mar 20, 2013 7:23 PM

@ flash1283

_______________

And those players will have to make up for the losses of Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Anquan Boldin, Bernard Pollard, Matt Birk, Paul Kruger, and Dannell Elerbe.

30. Ravens got a Ring of Honor?? who’s in it? Tony Saragusa? Lol Lol that’s took funny!

2012: Jamal Lewis

2011: Matt Stover

2008: Jonathan Ogden

2006: Peter Boulware

2004: Michael McCrary

2003: Art Modell

2002: 8 Baltimore Colts – QB Johnny Unitas, WR Raymond Berry, RB Lenny Moore, DT Art Donovan, DE Gino Marchetti, TE John Mackey, OT Jim Parker and LB Ted Hendricks (all of those players listed are NFL Hall of Famers)

2001: Earnest Byner

31. So raven fans are you getting nervous yet? Your posts show you are. Where is the bluster, boasting, and chest bumping now? Ssshh you are soon to be last years champs and soon to be this years chumps… It hurts,no one will feel sorry for ya or have pity for ya…..cheers..

32. fhuizar says: Mar 20, 2013 7:23 PM

Truly the Wizard of Oz

Putting the franchise in front of any player
    _____________________________________

Really? Ummm Flacco anyone? LOL some of you guys are in some serious denial

33. This just crushes the Ravens with all these losses. Looking like the brownies are even better now…

34. Bengal fans are glad about this. Dude was always a thorn in their side. He must have intercepted Palmer around 15 times when Palmer was a Bengal.

35. nzayir says:Mar 20, 2013 7:33 PM

Pretty easy to say in March……….Long way to go, lots of young stars on this team.

36. Reed will be missed in Baltimore. He helped define the Ravens D the last decade.

At this point no one can call the Ravens old anymore.

Safety and linebacker have been decimated. Oz sitting with 12 draft picks to play with. Smart moves will reload well.

37. I still can’t believe the characters here that think this is all due to Flacco. Go ahead. It is clear no amount of logical thinking and reasoning will help.

38. Doesnt matter ..the Texans will still finish 2nd in the AFC South next season after my #1 Colts

39. For those still confused about Joe Flacco’s contract (you must be confused to still be talking about it in this thread), it’s a three year deal. Period. It was designed that way intentionally, so anything beyond the 3rd year is irrelevant. It’ll get redone after the 3rd year so it could count $100M against the cap in year 4; it’ll never see the light of day. That’s how contracts are sometimes crafted in the NFL. If you don’t know that, then that’s sad.

40. I hate the Ravens, but all of you saying they’re toast, let’s just wait and see how things shake out.

Those guys running the show in Baltimore aren’t stupid.

41. Ravens destruction complete… Question I have
    is why didn’t Belechek go after Reed if he loved
    him so much? Naybe he knows he’s prettying done…??

42. best news i’ve heard since ray announced retirement..(ravens fan here)we needed to move past those two..reed can’t do it anymore..he is selfish,,me me me …good riddens…thanks for what you did but you were paid handsomely for it..now we can put together a new , faster, younger team D….i don’t see us not winning the afc-north in 2013..so there..

43. How you counting Browns and Colts..its all good though Ed Reed is a 1st ballot HOFer so is Ray Ray..

44. ease up there nofool. even your steeler colored glasses should be able to see whats going on. if the ravens truly wanted to keep ed they could have. they had a number they wanted to pay him and the texans beat it. we will miss ed but its time to move on. i think i know what the problem is for you and some steeler fans….you have no clue what a team looks like when its trying to get younger. ravens have 12 draft picks and are far from done getting free agents. and for all of you that think this is about joes contract….you really just dont pay attention. he is actually cap wise the 4th highest paid raven this year. so keep thinking the ravens are done…they will prove you wrong as always. and nofool…missed the playoffs last year have done nothing but lose players this year and got bitch slapped by tebow the year before..you should shhhhh and watch the champs

45. Bittersweet seeing my favorite player leave Baltimore. That said, Ed has been on the decline the last few years. Ints have been down as well as returns for tds. Suggs, Ngata, and Webb are the faces of the defense. Ravens will be fine, and myself and many others will be wearing purple 20 jerseys when Houston comes to Baltimore in the fall.

46. I’m not a mike tomlin fan but he said it best…”This is March talk”. Same clowns that said joe couldn’t win the big one are now running their mouths about his contract. How many times will he prove you wrong before you shut up?

47. B-b-but Joe’s only counting 6.8 mil next year! How can this be happening? HOW?!?

Meanwhile, ravenator and his buds try to put on a happy face through the tears. You KNOW losing Reed has to hurt. Ouch! Enjoy seeing him in those Texans colors.

48. imeanwhatisay says:Mar 20, 2013 7:24 PM

Suggs will get cut next year.

49. Just glad that I can finally finally stop hearing about Ravens fan telling me that Reed is the best of all time. I am sure that as soon as he puts on that Texan Uniform…they will stop all the talk and I can get some peace.

50. When Ravens won the Superbowl (47), I was so happy for Ed than any other player (even more than Ray). It’s a shame nothing lasts forever.
    Thanks for the great memories Mr. Reed, you will be missed.

51. We have the best front office in football. I would say that even if they cut me today. You have to trust and believe in our front office. They have a proven track record. It’s on us to step up.

-Torrey Smith

52. People always blame the organization. However, it’s the players greed that causes the departure. Wes Welker got almost 10mill last year, highly overpaid, the patriots paid no problem, wanted to b a little more modest next 2 years, welker leaves over point nothing million.

53. Baltimore is entering a new era is all, this happens to all sports franchises. Veteran leaders retire, play another year or two for a different team. This is nothing new.

54. ease up there nofool. even your steeler colored glasses should be able to see whats going on. if the ravens truly wanted to keep ed they could have. they had a number they wanted to pay him and the texans beat it. we will miss ed but its time to move on. i think i know what the problem is for you and some steeler fans….you have no clue what a team looks like when its trying to get younger. ravens have 12 draft picks and are far from done getting free agents. and for all of you that think this is about joes contract….you really just dont pay attention. he is actually cap wise the 4th highest paid raven this year. so keep thinking the ravens are done…they will prove you wrong as always. and nofool…missed the playoffs last year have done nothing but lose players this year and got bitch slapped by tebow the year before..you should shhhhh and watch the champs

Sorry to see you getting so much like ravenator in your posts. You forget I have watched the steelers reload many times in the forty plus years I have been a fan so don’t tell me to watch the chumps reload. You raven fans are new to being champs and are acting like you are the blue print for every franchise to follow….sssshhhh you are not. Ride your wave little scoobie but be gracious in the fall when you fall.

55. lgwelsh1 says:
    Mar 21, 2013 1:09 AM

Totally agree. It is sad to see some of these guys go, but that’s the way it goes. I certainly didn’t expect the Ravens to repeat next year, even if they didn’t lose anyone…odds are simply against it. Ozzie built this team to make a run at the Superbowl and he accomplished it. Now it’s time to retool and make another run at it. Personally, I would much rather make these changes immediately after winning a Superbowl than make them after having a mediocre season and missing the playoffs.

It was a pleasure to watch Ed play. I’m most happy for him than anyone else on the team that he finally got the ring he deserved before he retires. Maybe he’ll get another one next year, and if he does, GREAT for him!

56. gracious in defeat is advice you should follow my friend. but all you want to do is throw out your cheap insults and accuse a man who is proven innocent of being a murderer. because apparently thats what you do when your team does poorly. guess thats the steeler fan way. by the way did you see the post where i blasted a poster who called tomlin and harbaugh clowns. i actually have a lot of respect for the steelers. its fans like you i have issues with.

57. oh and as far as being new to champs…you do realize that ravens have as many titles in the last 12 years as pitt. and i love how you talk about the last 40 years…what about the 40 before that when the steelers were awful. so quit being condescening know it all.

58. scoobies05 | Mar 21, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
    Ah yes selective raven history …forgot about the browns there peanut? Condescending brought on in reaction to too much classless boasting by chumps not acting like champs. You can’t ignore your teams bloodlines I embrace the forty years of the steelers sucking as it makes the last forty that much sweeter. You might understand when you get to six rings if you live that long.

59. scoobies05 | Mar 21, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT

How can I be a know it all when I am not from Baltimore?

60. Don’t forget Joe Flacco DEMANDED to be the highest paid player ever — instead of leaving some money left to keep guys like Boldin and Ellerbee — so don’t expect him to automatically restructure his deal in a couple years. Like some of you so foolishly believe. Imagine what the team’s gonna be like when Flacco takes up almost a FIFTH of your total cap money! All by his lonesome self! By that time you’ll be needing sandlot players to come off the street and all play for cheap.

“Now starting for the Baltimore Ravens — a bunch of guys you never heard of!”