Branden Albert: I’m not disgruntled

Branden Albert AP

Tackle Branden Albert has signed his franchise tender with the Chiefs, which means that he’ll make $9.828 million in the 2013 season if he doesn’t sign a long-term deal to stay in Kansas City or get traded to another club.

Albert’s initial reaction on Twitter to getting tagged and suggestions that the team might be planning to move him from left tackle left many with the impression that he was unhappy with the Chiefs’ decision to use the tag on him. Albert spoke about that for the first time on Thursday, telling Mike Garafolo of USA Today that he admits to being “selfish” right now while taking issue with the notion that he’s angry at the team.

“My prior years being in Kansas City, I’ve been through a lot of dark days. Not just me, but Jamaal (Charles), Derrick Johnson, Brandon Flowers, Eric Berry, Dwayne Bowe, all of us. I just want to see lighter days for myself and my teammates,” Albert said. “I’m not disgruntled at all. I just want a commitment. I want to know where I’m going, when I’m going and I want some security.”

Albert reiterated that he’s not into the idea of moving positions, which could lead to disgruntlement in the future if the Chiefs want to move in that direction. Assuming they keep him, that is.

Garafolo reports that the Chiefs are doing more than listening to trade offers and are shopping Albert to other teams, something Albert says wouldn’t be his first choice but he’d accept it if it gave him more of that security in the future. That future is still hazy right now, even if Albert has put his signature on a contract that assures him of a handsome salary even if it is just for one year.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Branden Albert: I’m not disgruntled”
  1. dryzzt23 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:00 PM

Is Mr. Albert….gruntled…or just not “dis-gruntled”?

2. h3min1230 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:01 PM

Brandon Albert: “I’m not disgruntled.”

good because you’re moving to the right side while they draft your replacement.

3. shaggymarrs says: Mar 21, 2013 4:02 PM

So then he is gruntled!

4. Steeley McBeam says: Mar 21, 2013 4:04 PM

As a government contractor making 5 figures a year and no idea where I’ll be next year I feel your pain Albert.

5. applecool1981 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:16 PM

Isn’t it against the rules to Franchise Tag a player with the intent of trading him?

6. benroethlisberger7 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:18 PM

But you are fat.

7. fumblenuts says: Mar 21, 2013 4:25 PM

Seahawks could use him, and make him feel secure….

8. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 21, 2013 4:38 PM

How about “displaced”?

9. bobonmycob says: Mar 21, 2013 4:40 PM

fumblenuts says:Mar 21, 2013 4:25 PM

Seahawks could use him, and make him feel secure….

Seattle is already the new dream team. Do you really want them to tackle another high priced talent?

10. kc571 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:42 PM

The chiefs draft is forcing this drama. If geno was good enough they would have drafted the qb and resigned BA. Now the best choice is joeckel, the LT. If they can trade out then maybe they’d keep Albert. Bu right now all things point the the chiefs trading him to Miami for their 2nd, which kc traded for Alex smith. Last resort might be to draft joeckel and play him at RT for a year. Then Los BA as a free agent.

11. dcsween says: Mar 21, 2013 4:47 PM

I think this change of mood is based on Reid’s comments about him being a left tackle. Albert say he is not (present tense) disgruntled. So technically, he would be “re-gruntled.”

12. chawk12thman says: Mar 21, 2013 4:56 PM

So he isn’t disgruntled but just not happy…..I see the difference……not.

13. daddyb1gdrawz says: Mar 21, 2013 5:05 PM

Really? All things point to Albert being traded to Miami? Am I missing something because I thought the reason Miami did not offer more for Jake Long was in partly due to Jonathan Martin. Clearly, when healthy Jake Long is a superior player than Brandon Albert. Interesting because I have not heard any rumors or seen any movement Miami is in the left tackle market. I saw they brought Eric Winston in for a visit but he plays RT. Sooooo…..please tell me the things that leads you to believe Albert will be headed to Miami.

14. fcs34 says: Mar 21, 2013 5:09 PM

The reports of Albert’s unhappiness where mis-gruntled.

15. billsncowboys says: Mar 21, 2013 5:14 PM

benroethlisberger7 says:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:18 PM
    But you are fat.

And Ben Roethlisberger isn’t?

16. hailchiefs says: Mar 21, 2013 5:20 PM

Who else other than Miami could be hungry for a LT?

17. sammyias says: Mar 21, 2013 5:22 PM

$9.828 million would give me security. I don’t mean to belittle any NFL player.

It just would.

18. flipola says: Mar 21, 2013 5:22 PM

Players that are upset over being tagged are either:
    A) not confident that they’ll have a good season, or
    B) afraid they’ll spend the season on IR.

19. boogerhut says: Mar 21, 2013 5:34 PM

Good lord. Give me a 9+million dollar paycheck just ONCE in my life and I assure you that I would feel, and in fact BE secure enough to live well and leave some to family when I go. 98% of Americans NEVER make that in their whole life yet somehow manage to scrape out a little slice of happiness. Come down off your horse fool. All that money and all you have to do is push other men down and plan for your future. Those two things. Stop whining about security you spoiled little wuss and get to it. Push, and Plan. That’s all.

20. sammyias says: Mar 21, 2013 5:58 PM

flipola says:Mar 21, 2013 5:22 PM

“Players that are upset over being tagged are either:
    A) not confident that they’ll have a good season, or
    B) afraid they’ll spend the season on IR.

Never do you hear “I’m making a ton this year. Awesome.. I’ll go out and prove that I’m worth it.””

_____________________

Pat McAfee

But yeah, only a limited few seem to appreciate being tagged.

21. objectivenflfan says: Mar 21, 2013 6:04 PM

No, but

Ya whack, ya silly, ya girls a h**
    Ya broke, the kid ain’t yours and everybody knows
    Your old man say you stupid, you be like – so,
    I love my baby momma, I’ll neva letta go

Rough Riders?

22. objectivenflfan says: Mar 21, 2013 6:07 PM

Wahhhh – I work a government job – give me a million dollars, wahhh.

Why don’t you go work for it. Get a new job, start a business, stop hating on NFL players because they make a lot of money. You have no idea how much physical and mental work they put in an average work week.

Most of you probably only get to the gym 2 times a week. Imagine if you had to be there 3 times a day w/ study and film sessions, w/ practice and games.

Hate your government job? Don’t work there. Get your own million dollars.

23. blogatron2000 says: Mar 21, 2013 6:15 PM

I think with the moves that the new regime has made in free agency, lighter days are coming soon. It sounds to me like Brandon wants to stay with the Chiefs but staying means changing position and he’s not up for it. Since the team holds all the cards in that discussion, I’m guessing Brandon is on the move before long…

24. cheefs says: Mar 21, 2013 7:07 PM

It would take me just over 131 years to make that much money. Damn!

25. chilomane says: Mar 21, 2013 7:35 PM

If I had anything to do with the chefs I’d be disgruntled too. Go Broncos!!!

26. jprcox says: Mar 21, 2013 7:56 PM

Seattle does not need him! We do need a RT, but notice he doesn’t want to change positions.

We’ll end up drafting an RT in the 2nd round, as we cannot afford $10m for that position.

27. 32assassin says: Mar 21, 2013 7:59 PM

————————————————–
    sign me up for free money,

the same people who complain about millionaire athletes are the ones cheering them and happily giving a large portion of their checks to the teams they play for.

I’m pretty sure that their is a large percentage of people who make less then money then you and would live a very comfortable lifestyle with your income. And like you the second they have that income they will look at someone that has EARNED!! more and say they could live a very comfortable life with that higher income.

28. kc571 says: Mar 21, 2013 8:43 PM

From what I read Miami isn’t content w Martin at LT. Long seemed banged up and possibly not the solution at LT. It might work out better that he signed elsewhere. BA is from Miami and they need to keep Tannehil upright so Wallace can get down the field. And they have 2 2nd round picks. All seems to fit. Counterpoint?

29. the2013miamidolphins says: Mar 21, 2013 9:14 PM

he’s gonna be traded to the dolphins

30. bullpuppy552 says: Mar 21, 2013 9:28 PM

I like how some of these multi millionaires act like they’re scraping and fighting just to keep food on the table for their family. Why don’t they work a regular job where they live paycheck to paycheck and see what the real world is about.

31. autumnwind999 says: Mar 21, 2013 10:11 PM

Headline is poor grammar. Double-negative. Should read “Albert: I am gruntled.”

32. thestrategyexpert says: Mar 21, 2013 10:20 PM

Yet, Brandon. Yet. Allow me to correct the phrase for you…. “I’m not disgruntled yet”.

We all know how this is going to end, so let’s just be upfront with each other!

33. radrhatr says: Mar 21, 2013 10:58 PM

If he’s as good as he thinks he is, he’ll win the LT job.

34. joetoronto says: Mar 22, 2013 4:50 AM

Any time you have a chance to get out of Kansas friggin City, you take it.

35. arrowdead says: Mar 22, 2013 5:12 AM

teams are not going to give up alot to get albert bc its obvious that if KC cant trade him he will play LT this year while KCs draft pick plays RT and then the draft pick will go to LT the next season and albert will be available via free agency without having to give up a pick

36. daddyb1gdrawz says: Mar 22, 2013 8:23 AM

Not sure what him being from Miami has to do with anything. Eric Winston attended the U and he signed with KC last year. Just because a player is from somewhere does not mean they want to return..lol!! Without doing any research, I am not sure if Albert iseven from Miami, but i digress.

All these Albert to Miami rumors is speculation because Miami did not resign Jake Long. This is a deep draft for LT. Miami could stay pat at pick #12 or trade up to gain a LT that would be much cheaper than Brandon Albert. Dont get me wrong, I think the move makes some sense if you believe Jonathan Martin is not the answer. But they have to play Martin somewhere and he sure as hell is not playing the right tackle position. It just appear to be too many options for Miami to pursue that does not result in a trade for Albert.