Eli would restructure for Cruz

eli-manning-victor-cruz Getty Images

As the Giants worry about whether another team will swoop in with an offer sheet for restricted free agent receiver Victor Cruz, their quarterback has a solution.

Eli Manning will restructure his deal if need be.

“If the Giants want to work something out, I am always up for listening and figuring out what I can do to help the cause,” Manning said Wednesday night, via ESPNNewYork.com.  “That is kind of up to the Giants and what they want to do.  I am always up for listening and doing whatever is best for the team to put us in a [situation] to win more championships.”

It helps that Cruz is now represented by CAA, which also represents Manning.  So if getting a new deal with Cruz requires Manning to do a new deal, CAA can make that happen.

Of course, a restructuring from Eli wouldn’t cost him any money.  Instead, current cap dollars (he’s north of $20 million) would be pushed to future years, and Eli’s take-home pay wouldn’t change.

“I’ve been sending a few texts to him. ‘Yeah, hey, get this done.  Make sure he stays with us,'” Manning said.  “Obviously I want Victor back with the Giants, and obviously right now he is [tendered].

“I check the papers every morning to make sure no one else has offered him a contract.  It is nerve-racking though.  He is anxious.  I know he has been dealing with this contract issue for a long time.  I know he wants it just settled and wants to get back to playing football and just worrying about that.”

Here’s what Manning should be worrying about.  If the Giants keep low balling Cruz, Cruz or CAA may decide that the player is better off elsewhere.  And at that point CAA could decide to work with a new team to craft an offer sheet that the Giants will have a hard time matching.

Which would then make CAA far less likely to sign off on a restructuring of Eli’s deal.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Eli would restructure for Cruz”
  1. dalucks says: Mar 21, 2013 10:47 AM

I wish Matt Schaub would restructure his contract with the Texans. Better yet, I wish Rick Smith would not have given him and Gary Kubiak contract extensions.

2. gochargersgo says: Mar 21, 2013 10:48 AM

Gotta admire when Eli or anyother player is willing to do this, but its almost like it makes the team look bad when everyone is willing to help out and a deal doesnt get done.

3. thekiller678 says: Mar 21, 2013 10:51 AM

Please get Victor signed.. This helps a lot if Eli were to restructure but I’m still not going to assume it will get done after seeing Welker walk away even after Brady restructured..

4. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 21, 2013 10:57 AM

If it’s not Redskins related, I don’t care.

5. aprilwalker2013 says: Mar 21, 2013 11:07 AM

As a die hard Redskin, I must say, well done Eli! Trying to help get your receiver to stay!

6. gcsuk says: Mar 21, 2013 11:15 AM

” If the Giants keep low balling Cruz, Cruz or CAA may decide that the player is better off elsewhere.”

Do you know exactly what the Giants offered Cruz? I haven’t seen any definitive reports with specific numbers on this site. So it’s possible that the Giants offered what they felt was current market value (taking Welker and Amendola into account), and maybe Cruz (and his former agent) felt that he was/is worth more. Haven’t heard a word, good or bad, since Cruz switched agents.

7. micknangold says: Mar 21, 2013 11:16 AM

So why has no one offered him a contract, anyway?

8. swagger52 says: Mar 21, 2013 11:30 AM

Why would Eli follow in the footsteps of Brady, and take less money. Thus, allowing his team to appear to spend less money, but then not actually spending that money on other players?
    Eli owns Brady, Brady should be doing what Eli does, not the other way around.

9. giantsfan2104 says: Mar 21, 2013 11:33 AM

logicalvoicesays says: Mar 21, 2013 10:57 AM

If it’s not Redskins related, I don’t care.
    ==================================================
    You’ve been spouting nonsense on every other Giants story for well over a year, Ms. logicalvoicesays. You DO care.

10. ccjcsr says: Mar 21, 2013 11:36 AM

Take the blind folds off people, Of course players will restructure it means, they get their money now rather than later!

11. bobzilla1001 says: Mar 21, 2013 11:54 AM

Another overpaid quarterback is phrased for being willing to take more money now rather than later.
    Yep. Huge sacrifice.

12. Stiller43 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:57 PM

Eli could create 100 million in cap space…you still shouldnt resign a player worth 5 million to a 10 million dollar contract.

Not saying cruz isnt worth a lot, but since its been rumored they like nicks more, it would make sense they have a certain number in mind, and theyre going to stick to it.

13. Mr. Wright 212 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:57 PM

What I was HEARING locally (I do have a few contacts who have ears) is that they were offering 5 and averaging about 8.5/9 per over the life, with $20M guaranteed.

Could be wrong, but my guys are usually right when they spill the beans. I’ve said all along (since the alleged best offer was made) that he wants Calvin money and the Giants aren’t going to budge, regardless of what Eli does to shuffle his money.

14. cmonelisha says: Mar 21, 2013 1:02 PM

“I am always up for listening and doing whatever is best for the team to put us in a [situation] to win more championships.”
    ______

ahhhh music to my ears..this is why eli is a 2 time SB champ..its going to come down to NYG and dallas for the nfc east..and if romo has any say..we all know eli will be heading for another post season

15. thejimius says: Mar 21, 2013 1:15 PM

Call me crazy, but concerning Manning, shouldn’t it be more about what the player wants and not about what the agent wants?

16. gmen23 says: Mar 21, 2013 3:04 PM

Mr. Wright 212 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:57 PM

If that is indeed the contract offered by the Giants then Cruz better sign it real fast because that is stupid money for a slot receiver that
    1 Takes a beating over the middle.
    2 Is largely a product of Eli and Killdrives offense
    3 Will be paid more than Welker who is the best slot of all time
    4 Plays a position that is relatively easy to develop

17. patsfan13 says: Mar 21, 2013 3:04 PM

I wish illogicalvoice would just go away.

18. patriotenvy says: Mar 21, 2013 3:30 PM

win more championships?!?! He better worry about just making the playoffs, which they failed to do.

19. Mr. Wright 212 says: Mar 21, 2013 3:58 PM

I don’t disagree gmen23.

20. henryd3rd says: Mar 21, 2013 4:43 PM

Stop feeling sorry for Victor; he’s making a ton of money doing those Campbell soup commercials with his mother and grand mother. If I’m Victor I hold out until the Giants make a reasonable offer. The NFL is a cold business and if one’ doesn’t think so ask Brian Urlacher.

21. nesuperfan says: Mar 21, 2013 4:53 PM

@micknangold, because he is a restricted free agent, and the Giants put a first-round tender on him. If another team signs him, they will have to give their first-rounder.
    The tender did up Cruz’ pay to about $2.9M, but considering the soft market for slot receivers, it appears that no one is willing to give up that pick, and write a new long-term contract.

22. thecoltsman says: Mar 21, 2013 7:50 PM

ahhh isn’t that sweet of baby eli to offer to back load his contract for old victor. He’ll be gone next year anyways, so don’t waste your time eli. When was the last time the giants paid top market money to any WR. I don’t think there ever was one. Eli makes victor look a whole lot better than he really is. Eli and peyton could throw to anyone and still put up huge numbers. They could probably get their grandma a 1000 yard season. Victor is a very average WR who just so happens to play with a very good QB and really only has one other target in nicks. I say let the chump walk next. There isn’t a team in the world who would give up a 3rd round pick let alone a 1rst.