Kelly turned down Coughlin to stay at New Hampshire

Tom Coughlin AP

Giants coach Tom Coughlin has to try to beat Chip Kelly twice a year now.

But in 2006, he tried to get the Eagles head coach to join his staff.

Coughlin told reporters at the owners meetings that he offered Kelly a job as offensive quality control coach, a job which Kelly turned down, staying at New Hampshire so he could continue to work with players directly.

I was very tempted to go, because I have the utmost respect for Coach,” Kelly said, via Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “The only reason I didn’t take the job is because I wasn’t going to be a position coach. That’s what I was going to miss if I left New Hampshire.”

Kelly was only there one more season, before going to Oregon as offensive coordinator in 2007. By 2009, he was head coach, and two years later, he turned down a chance to coach the Buccaneers.

It was a risky move for the young coach, but his path has crossed with Coughlin’s quickly enough.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Kelly turned down Coughlin to stay at New Hampshire”
  1. hatesycophants says: Mar 21, 2013 3:29 PM

No one cares about this. Absolutely no one.

2. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 21, 2013 3:32 PM

The Redskins are the superior team. #Weareincontrol

3. rboutote says: Mar 21, 2013 3:45 PM

It amazes me how arrogant ‘Skins fans have suddenly become off of one division championship coupled with a playoff loss and, oh yeah, your star QB is coming off of a major knee injury.. Stop trolling on articles that have absolutely nothing to do with your team, please.

4. rc33 says: Mar 21, 2013 3:49 PM

No one cares about this. Absolutely no one.
    ————————————
    My Grandmother might care; she lives in New Hampshire.
    …’cept I’m 1000% sure she has no idea who Chip Kelly is. And he’s no longer there, anyway.

You’re right, no one cares about this.

5. h3min1230 says: Mar 21, 2013 3:52 PM

Ribs, I had ribs for lunch.

6. jm91rs says: Mar 21, 2013 3:54 PM

rboutote says: Mar 21, 2013 3:45 PM

__________________________________

It’s just two guys (or one guy in his mom’s basement with nothing better to do). The more you complain the more they love it and the less likely they are to ever stop. It’s what Trolls do.

7. andyreidsskinnyjeans says: Mar 21, 2013 3:55 PM

In chip we trust.

8. thekiller678 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:04 PM

Does anyone else remember “Hulk Hogan says”

I’m pretty sure it’s the same guy as logicalvoice because they are both huge Skins homers

9. laxcoach37 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:06 PM

“logicalvoicesays” is a little insecure clown. He (she) goes by many names on here and never writes anything that can be interpreted as knowledge. We are all playing into this trap and constant plea for attention. Ignore him!

While I am not a fan of the Redskins; it would be a huge insult to infer that ALL Redskins fans are representative by this moron’s statements. I lived in the DC area and can tell you that their Fanbase on average is actually pretty smart football people. I even understand their enthusiasm over a resurrected franchise and the excitment RGIII brings, even if it is overzealous at times.

10. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 21, 2013 4:43 PM

I have a hard time believing that Kelly was “a young coach” six years ago. As for Coughlin, I don’t think he was ever a “young coach”. He has always looked like he’s running on formaldehyde.

11. dcigglesphan says: Mar 21, 2013 4:44 PM

Am I the only one that thinks we should go after Vollmer in free agency?

12. justintuckrule says: Mar 21, 2013 4:45 PM

My fellow Giants’ fans are pi$$ing me off more than the Skins’ trolls. QUIT FEEDING THEM! I don’t even read their garbage let alone condone them by thumbing them down or, sheesh…reposting their garbage. IGNORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR THEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

13. bigbluecrew420 says: Mar 21, 2013 7:10 PM

logicalvoicesays. #troll #thisisnottwitter #redskinsarecheaters

14. bobonmycob says: Mar 21, 2013 7:37 PM

logicalvoicesays says:Mar 21, 2013 3:32 PM

The Redskins are the superior team. #Weareincontrol

Fix your QB situation and then you may speak… back to the cellar you go now.

15. bobonmycob says: Mar 21, 2013 7:41 PM

justintuckrule says:Mar 21, 2013 4:45 PM

A troll complaining about other trolls LOL… Back to the sewer you go N.Y rat.

16. tmatic74 says: Mar 21, 2013 7:42 PM

Eagles fans roll deep on every sports sight so when you talk smack you getting jumped. The skins are still in fluke mode.

17. youareallidiots says: Mar 21, 2013 9:51 PM

Logicalvoicesays- if you are such a huge Redskins (soon to be name changed) fan, why are you commenting on every story linked to the Eagles? The Skins had one good season in the last 10 years and you are ready to claim dynasty. Find something better to do.

18. rboutote says: Mar 23, 2013 12:51 AM

justintuckrule says:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:45 PM

27 7

Uhh this is awkward.. Def not a giants fan bud… Sorry. But I hear what you’re saying, that guy is a troll.. Bottom line.

19. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 16, 2013 10:14 PM

@bobonmycob

your eagles suck and based on your name, evidently you do too.

sux2suc