Mark Duper arrested, accused of child abuse

markduper

Former Dolphins receiver Mark Duper has been arrested and accused of punching a child, knocking him unconscious and threatening to kill him.

Local 10 in Miami reports that Duper was arrested in Jacksonville and accused of child abuse.

According to the arrest form, Duper punched a child and knocked him unconscious and threatened to kill the child. According to News 4 in Jacksonville, the victim was a teenager, and another man came to his aid and pulled Duper off him. The victim was able to leave the house where the incident took place, and the Department of Children and Families was called in to investigate.

A member of the Dolphins’ Ring of Honor, Duper was selected to three Pro Bowls in the 1980s. He is one of the thousands of former players currently suing the NFL over concussions.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
62 Responses to “Mark Duper arrested, accused of child abuse”
  1. rc33 says: Mar 21, 2013 11:45 AM

The “member of the Dolphins’ Ring of Honor” is what makes this story.

2. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Mar 21, 2013 11:48 AM

If this is true, I’d like to give him a concussion.

3. GenXJay says: Mar 21, 2013 11:48 AM

Man, those Florida neighborhood watch committee members are no joke.

4. jjswattandco says: Mar 21, 2013 11:50 AM

What a shame. He was my childhood idol. When I would play outside as a young child I was ALWAYS Mark “super” Duper. Now I just think of him as another scumbag.

5. boogerhut says: Mar 21, 2013 11:57 AM

Doesn’t say ANYTHING other than it was a teenager. I know plenty of teenagers that could be threatening enough to warrant a bust in the chops. Mike Tyson made his money at age 12 one punch dropping grown men on the street and taking their wallets. I’ll wait to hear more details before I call him a scumbag.

6. richndc says: Mar 21, 2013 12:00 PM

Now, was this a regular punch or donkey punch, because let’s face it–that’s puts a whole different paint job on things!!

7. hatesycophants says: Mar 21, 2013 12:06 PM

How about a bit more information before you post something like this? As you know, some of your readers aren’t very bright and don’t need details to figuratively string a guy up.

As the single father of a girl fast approaching her teen years, I can easily foresee an opportunity to savagely attack a teen boy.

8. swagjag says: Mar 21, 2013 12:06 PM

Fortunately, Duper wasn’t wearing any rings at the time of the attack.

9. destructicus says: Mar 21, 2013 12:08 PM

What we know is he was accused, arrested, and there’s a witness.

We don’t know motive or any other details surrounding the event, and yet he’s already a “scumbag”. He very well may be a scumbag, but let’s reserve judgement until we get some real details.

I am VERY certain that all of you rushing to judge Duper would change your mind in a heartbeat should it come out that he have attacked a teenage who (jsut as an example) sexually assaulted a member of his family. Then Duper would be your hero.

Hold on, folks. Let’s not rush into things.

10. bigks77 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:08 PM

Must of been that lowering of the crown hits on DBs

11. shogunassasin30 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:08 PM

Well to be fair there’s a lot of Teenage bro’s i’d like to punch as well..

12. cardiovascularendurance says: Mar 21, 2013 12:09 PM

Lets wait to hear the rest of the story here. I wouldn’t be surprised if this kid had it coming to him. I know there are plenty of kids in DC I’ve thought about doing something like this to.

13. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Mar 21, 2013 12:09 PM

Duper has had some issues over the years, I would wait on this one to pass judgement.

He might have had a 17 year old with a butcher knife running towards him.

14. sepl12 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:12 PM

I’ll hold off on judgment until the full story is out. the “child” could be a seventeen year old bully that just beat up his kid. not saying this guy is innocent, but I’ll wait for more facts

15. EJ says: Mar 21, 2013 12:12 PM

Marino to Duper was such a commonly used phrase while I was growing up. Being a Bills fan, we didn’t like hearing it much. If this turns out to be true, he will lose major respect from NFL fans.

16. joetoronto says: Mar 21, 2013 12:14 PM

WTF, there’s no excuse for this at all, none.

17. jprather17 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:16 PM

If this has anything to do with his concussion he cannkt control himself. So to call him a scumbag is to call someone with a mental disability, such as mental retardation, the same. Think before you speak and reserve judgement until the entire story becomes available. Until then, you seem like the idiot for being reactionary with no logical reasoning.

18. rjov says: Mar 21, 2013 12:16 PM

This teenager could be 17, 6’3″ and a real jerk. Still not an excuse though.

19. The Prophet says: Mar 21, 2013 12:19 PM

This story is missing some significant information to pass judgement folks. A “child” that is a”teenager” could be 11 years old or he could be 17, which is as different as could be. And if said 17 year old is 200 pounds and was trying to do something with his 14 year old daughter, that punk is lucky all he did was get punched.

20. cdngatorfan says: Mar 21, 2013 12:20 PM

This one reeks of hearing just prt of the story. I would never turn a blind eye to child abuse, but I can almost guarantee that there’s more to this one. I’m going to hold off judgement before the rest of this comes out. Duper doesn’t have any history of criminal background. If it’s true, my respect for him ends up with the likes of Marino. I just don’t like taking such a serious accusation as “child abuse” and going with a first report to call the whole truth. Just my take on this.

21. thesmartestmanever says: Mar 21, 2013 12:21 PM

wow it doesn’t make any sense that something like that can happen. I for one won’t bother waiting for any details to emerge and will just pass judgment on him right here and now. After all I have never met any kid that deserves to get punched in the mouth. Shame on you duper. shame.

22. natelan69 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:22 PM

To be fair, the child was armed with a Snapple and bag of Skittles.

23. Deb says: Mar 21, 2013 12:24 PM

Clicked the link to the original story thinking the details might suggest what sparked the attack. Yeah … the kid left his hat on the floor. Good grief. Scary to think how many hair-trigger nuts are running around out there.

24. kane337 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:24 PM

Some teenagers deserve to have their butt kicked but as an adult you got to be better than that.

25. phinfan says: Mar 21, 2013 12:27 PM

Over Video Games? So much for the NFL ‘Get outside and play 60′

26. titans12thman says: Mar 21, 2013 12:27 PM

Holy Crap, just read the original news article….I don’t care what the circumstances were, that is completely unacceptable….The article said the dad of the kid had to separate them TWICE??? If it was my kid they would have had to separate my fist from dupers skull the FIRST time!

27. dgrowe213 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:28 PM

At least he didn’t shoot the kid like George Zimmerman…

28. blacknole08 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:33 PM

He beat that kid over not picking up a hat? How assinine is that?!

I don’t know what’s harder to believe — that a 54 year old man can beat the living daylights out of a teenager or the fact that the VICTIMS DAD WAS THERE and didn’t throw one punch.

29. dspyank2k11 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:38 PM

DOOPA DOOPA DOOPA

30. armchairqb says: Mar 21, 2013 12:41 PM

Super.

31. contract says: Mar 21, 2013 12:46 PM

I’m going to wait before I pass judgment. If the kid had it coming, then the kid had it coming.

32. ccjcsr says: Mar 21, 2013 12:50 PM

Let me guess, it’s the NFL’s fault that this happened?

33. stevenwilliams2013 says: Mar 21, 2013 12:51 PM

Some teenagers are bigger than adults

34. edrouse says: Mar 21, 2013 12:51 PM

get the full story before judging …teen could have ask for it …

35. jnbnet says: Mar 21, 2013 12:55 PM

well, that’s just super.

36. mogogo1 says: Mar 21, 2013 1:00 PM

No excuse for threatening to the kill the kid, but the owner of the house asks a visiting teenager to pick up his hat off the floor. And said owner also happens to be a former NFL star. And the hat DOESN’T get picked up with a “yes sir”?

37. thelastpieceofcheese says: Mar 21, 2013 1:03 PM

As soon as these guys (Duper, Clayton, Marino, Mercury Morris, etc.) are out of Don Shula’s control, they revert to their criminal behavior.

38. cuozzo says: Mar 21, 2013 1:06 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that this “Child” is a two bit punk. None. For all of you stating “wait and see” at least you have a clue. I’m going with the high percentage on this one…Teenager deserved it. However, no matter what the circumstance, Duper will be charged and convicted.

39. jjswattandco says: Mar 21, 2013 1:06 PM

Jprather17 now that we know why he did it, you look like the idiot. What a surprize. Just because he is one of the HUNDREADS that filed the lawsuit doesn’t mean anything is wrong with him. He is a known drug addict and probably wants a payday so he can re-up his stash.

40. jaketdogg says: Mar 21, 2013 1:14 PM

Given the mentality, behavior and attitude of most teenagers these days, the kid probably had it coming to him.

41. thestatsishere says: Mar 21, 2013 1:20 PM

What scares me is the idea of what if his concussions were a major cause of this…outburst of rage.

42. chawk12thman says: Mar 21, 2013 1:22 PM

Sorry to hear, but lets wait to hear the facts before we form opinion on Mark’s overall character.

43. mogogo1 says: Mar 21, 2013 1:28 PM

thelastpieceofcheese says:

______________

That’s a seriously SLOW reversion being Duper last played for the Dolphins in ’92. Or do you think Shula was sleeping in Duper’s guest bedroom until recently?

44. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Mar 21, 2013 1:32 PM

Yeah, like none of you stating what a jerk he is for doing this has never wanted to punch any of today’s little punk teenagers right in the face. I bet he had a damn good reason for it.

45. wrdtoyrmama says: Mar 21, 2013 1:35 PM

People need to read BOTH articles linked in this story.

One says it was Duper’s own son, and that he was going after his son over what boy did to his girlfriend.

The other one says it was former Fins player, Hugh Green, that pulled Duper off the kid, a couple times apparently, in a bedroom, and again once outside the home after the kid ran his bike into Duper’s car.

46. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 21, 2013 1:36 PM

This sounds like a case of simple, misdemeanor assault that some overzealous prosecutor is trying to make into something bigger. To me “child abuse” is something much more serious and prolonged than what seems to have happened here.

47. securb2013 says: Mar 21, 2013 1:37 PM

Second NFL child abuse story I have read today. Of course the story on Elizabeth Leigh Gardner the ex-Titans cheerleader is a lot more troubling.

48. 69finfan says: Mar 21, 2013 1:38 PM

For those of you wanting/needing additional facts read the link to the original news story. It might clear some things up for you and provide you needed information, then again, maybe not.

49. schmitty2 says: Mar 21, 2013 1:39 PM

Forget the “Rope a dope”. Prepare for the “Super Duper”!

50. 69firebird says: Mar 21, 2013 1:46 PM

Great article from “used to be pro player football talk .com”

51. szwhtsup123 says: Mar 21, 2013 1:58 PM

So typical of the liberal media – accused, tried, convicted and sentenced before any real facts come out. It’s sickening

52. rexryansfork says: Mar 21, 2013 2:03 PM

I know I’ll get thumbs down for this but I don’t care. Why just because its a teenager so many of you automatically assume that he probably deserved it and probably had it coming? Like just because you aren’t teenagers and most of you hate what your lives have become since you were a teenager you assume that the teenager deserved to get the **** beat out of him. The people on here automatically assuming it must’ve been that the teenager “had it coming” are probably also the ones who despise the Rooney rule because it gives a minority an INTERVIEW (not a job), and the ones who compare every single black quarterback to Michael Vick or JaMarcus Russell. Ignorant.

53. JSpicoli says: Mar 21, 2013 3:00 PM

Mark Clayton called and said he was open.

54. spfripp says: Mar 21, 2013 3:07 PM

exryansfork says:
    Mar 21, 2013 2:03 PM

______________________________

Sounds like you and your parents needs family counseling…Just saying

55. larrydavid7000 says: Mar 21, 2013 3:11 PM

duper isn’t so super anymore.!!!!!!

56. revskip says: Mar 21, 2013 3:14 PM

The child in question was his 17 son. He allegedly punched, choked and body slammed him. The Miami Herald has a pretty good summation of what allegedly happened for those who are interested.

I like how many people jumped up to defend him.

57. boogerhut says: Mar 21, 2013 3:32 PM

joetoronto says: Mar 21, 2013 12:14 PM

WTF, there’s no excuse for this at all, none
    —————————————————————-
    How foolish to state that. That’s right up there with “no child should ever be struck…EVER”. BS. It’d be nice if this world was all Dear Abbey and Dr. Spock but it’s not. Kids today know no boundaries, respect and feel violence is acceptable because there is never any repercussions to their actions. All they know is “you can’t touch me, I’m not 18″. How many kids are in JH for assault on their parents of GPs? How many kids today far outweigh many adults? Don’t say “never” in case you happen to encounter a 6′ 212lb teenager that’s short a couple of bucks for a 40.

58. nesuperfan says: Mar 21, 2013 5:12 PM

Anyone defending him needs to read the stories at jacksonville.com and miamiherald.com.
    He is 240 pounds, and he beat his own son unconscious, and choked him. It is also the third time in a decade he has been jailed for domestic battery. This guy has major problems.

59. ghjjf says: Mar 21, 2013 6:06 PM

The guy is dumb as a brick, just like Marino. No wonder they never won any Superbowls.

60. thelastpieceofcheese says: Mar 21, 2013 6:42 PM

thelastpieceofcheese says:

______________

__________________

He had not got caught!

61. randygnyc says: Mar 21, 2013 11:04 PM

Many “teens” can be oversized, dangerous people. There are plenty of 16 and 17 year old boys that are well over 6feet and can easily weigh 250 pounds or more. I’d speculate that such teens make up the majority of the bloods and crips that continue to be a cancer in many of our inner cities. We don’t know why this attack occurred. Perhaps it was in self defense or in defense of another. I’ll definitely be holding off on passing judgement. I’d suggest others do the same.

62. cappa662 says: Mar 22, 2013 9:06 AM

Read the story on Yahoo, yea Duper did go overboard on disciplining his son. But his son sent a threatened to kill his ex girlfriend!!!!!!!!!

I think I might have done that to my son if he was threatening to kill other people.