Shanahan on whether cap penalty situation is resolved: “That’s a good question”

Mike Shanahan AP

For the second straight year, the Redskins must figure out how to compete despite losing $18 million in cap space.  And when the cap sits at $120.6 million and $123 million over those two years, $18 million per year represents a pretty large chunk of absent change.

By all appearances, the case has been closed — especially since Commissioner Roger Goodell reportedly has told the Redskins there will be no relief from the $36 million sanction for treating the term “uncapped year” too literally.

During a Wednesday visit to Pro Football Talk, Shanahan was asked whether the case is finally closed.

“That’s a good question,” Shanahan said.  “I’m not really sure right now, but anytime you go over two, two-and-a-half years and then they say we did nothing wrong and you’re penalized $36 million, obviously you got to have a game plan for it.  But we’re dealt a certain hand and we’re dealing with it and hopefully we do the best with it.”

If any of the cap space is going to be restored, it makes sense to do it at a time when the market still has free-agents on which it can be spent.  Thanks to a soft market this year, however, there’s plenty of time left.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
48 Responses to “Shanahan on whether cap penalty situation is resolved: “That’s a good question””
  1. duece8 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:11 PM

We should have already done something about it! Its obviously clear cut COLLUSSION even people that do not really know what COLLUSSION is can see it plain as day!! Im Counting down the days till Goodells term is up! So we can have football back. HAIL

2. nineroutsider says: Mar 21, 2013 4:11 PM

It’s really not a good question at all. It has been resolved. They continue to do a little grandstanding to deflect fan acrimony from themselves onto the league, but in reality its resolved. Just like it was last year. Redskins fans should be upset with their front office, not the league or John Mara on this one.

3. tampaskinsfan says: Mar 21, 2013 4:19 PM

I’ve personally reached the stage of not caring anymore about it. What has a ton of money to spend done for the franchise in the last ten years besides “not much” we did pretty good in my book without it last season and I think we’ll be fine without it this year. Lets move along folks there’s nothing else to see here.

4. champ1118 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:23 PM

I’m a Redskins fan and I’m moving on. Regardless of whether or not you think the Redskins got shafted, or it’s their “chickens coming home to roost” the penalty is here to stay (period) There’s no real reason to continue to discuss it. I mean, folks will say the Redskins were placed at a competitive disadvantage. Well, the first part of the hit ($18M) was last year (on the eve of Free Agency) and they won the NFC East for the first time in…well hell I can’t even remember. Point being, maybe this cap hit is just the motivation, and blessing in disguise that the franchise needed. Lord knows, historically, they haven’t been the wisest of shoppers in Free Agency. The story is dead, wake me up when #10 reports to camp.

5. anicra says: Mar 21, 2013 4:23 PM

So Basically the Redskins are paying for Aaron Rodgers yearly salary

6. onearmsteven says: Mar 21, 2013 4:32 PM

how about the teams that did the opposite of the redskins- spent something like $60 million in the uncapped year so they’d have 30-40 million during 2012 and 2013 free agency

7. gmoedc says: Mar 21, 2013 4:34 PM

I can’t get over it, knowing that our secondary will get scorched again this year because we weren’t able to bring in any help this year or last year.
    It was reported Cortland Finnegan was a top target before we got slammed last year. He certainly would have made a difference.
    I want revenge!

8. tommyribs says: Mar 21, 2013 4:39 PM

As a GIANTS Fan I hate the ‘Skins and ‘Boys, but How can the league sit there in 2011 and say these contracts are approved, and then come back in 2012 and say: “No you boys did wrong?”

It doesn’t make sense. Whether or not they tried to get around ‘Non-Existent’ rules or not, when they were doing it, everything passed the sniff-test and was deemed copacetic.

Not Fair in any way shape or form.

And Goodell wonders why he gets booed at the podium in Rock Center.

9. nebster21 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:41 PM

How do you take “uncapped year” too literally?

Why does the league get to say to the NFLPA that it was resolved with the expired CBA yet the Redskins and the Cowboys do not get that same ability?

10. dcsween says: Mar 21, 2013 4:43 PM

There are things that the League could do in review and approval of next year’s contracts and the year after that regarding salary cap accounting that might be “new/unprecedented/flexible” based on some ambiguity in the CBA. I wouldn’t be surprised if that happened … and that we don’t find out until 2015 about the league approving it.

11. officialgame says: Mar 21, 2013 4:44 PM

Only two teams had a problem, Dallas and Washington. Yes their probably was collusion but once the players association signed off on the CAP it became end of story. Owners don’t sue owners unless their name is Al Davis and he’s dead. Even if they won, they lose. It’s OVER!

12. dcsween says: Mar 21, 2013 4:44 PM

Albert Haynesworth’s and DeAngelo Hall’s contracts are the gifts that keep on giving.

13. onearmsteven says: Mar 21, 2013 4:45 PM

sure, but we need to be able to resign players like Fred Davis, Zo, and our draft picks even! that 18 million would allow all that

14. thegreatgabbert says: Mar 21, 2013 4:46 PM

It was a good question but The Rodent gave a lousy answer.

15. romoscollarbone says: Mar 21, 2013 4:47 PM

At the same time, it is collusion to say, there was a spirit to the uncapped year that 2 teams violated.

All in all, it’s garbage.

16. purpleguy says: Mar 21, 2013 4:48 PM

I think everyone here is missing the point — would it really make a difference if the Redskins had cap room given their terrible history of free agent signings? Wouldn’t it be a bit more appropriate if the Redskins and their fans were at least a little bit grateful?

17. parasonic says: Mar 21, 2013 4:51 PM

right or wrong (I think wrong), the NFL essentially took away the salary equivalent of a top 3 NFL QB. Seems pretty steep when the argument was for violating “competitive advantage” and the skins only paid out players that were already under contract. Just saying, another way to look at it.

18. nineroutsider says: Mar 21, 2013 4:51 PM

@tommyribs – Those are very good points, but the short answer is business can sometimes be nasty. There is no doubt that the league colluded to keep payroll spending down before their showdown with the players. They had to approve those contracts unless they wanted to expose their collusion while they were actually colluding. The league simply made note of it, approved the transitions, and then patiently waited until the labor deal was finished to punish them.

I didn’t want the Skins and Boys to get punished out of spite; I just didn’t want them to have an unfair advantage over my team. That is essentially what they got: they dumped salaries in 2010 and my team didn’t get to do it. It truly is a “travesty of fairness”.

19. onearmsteven says: Mar 21, 2013 4:51 PM

name a terrible overpriced free agent signing that the redskins have done in the last 3 years. oh right. shanahan and bruce allen are a different era- it isn’t snyder and vinny cerrato running the show anymore.

20. spedman24 says: Mar 21, 2013 4:55 PM

Thank the Mara’s and the Giants for this penalty. They in lockstep w/Badell

21. therealsmiley says: Mar 21, 2013 4:55 PM

3 Lombardi Trophies….Hail!

22. gonavybeatarmy says: Mar 21, 2013 5:12 PM

Goodell is a prostitute and Mara is his pimp.

23. mjkelly77 says: Mar 21, 2013 5:14 PM

duece8 says:Mar 21, 2013 4:11 PM

___________________

Learn to spell. Commissioner Goodell will be around as long as he decides.

24. mjkelly77 says: Mar 21, 2013 5:17 PM

tommyribs says:Mar 21, 2013 4:39 PM

… And Goodell wonders why he gets booed at the podium in Rock Center.
    ___________________

That’s because of the ignorant drunks in the audience.

25. tc725 says: Mar 21, 2013 5:20 PM

@nineroutsider. The problem is that any team that held salary cost below the “non existent cap floor” is now unfairly befitting from the penalty to the Skins & Boys. If this was “your” team I know the argument would be different,

26. mjkelly77 says: Mar 21, 2013 5:22 PM

romoscollarbone says:Mar 21, 2013 4:47 PM

The problem with all of this is that the NFLPA didn’t stand up for it’s players on the two affected teams, because the league leveraged, adding a few more bucks to the cap to make up the difference across the pool. …
    ________________

Hey, blame Maurice Smith who sold out the very players he was supposed to represent. And all to pad the cap in order to save his cushy job. Why the players haven’t ousted him I’ll never understand. It tells me a lot about their average intelligence.

27. blackqbwhiterb says: Mar 21, 2013 5:57 PM

I hope somehow someday we get even with Mara for this injustice… Perhaps winning the NFC East both years of the cap penalty would be the best revenge….

28. eatitfanboy says: Mar 21, 2013 5:58 PM

Anyone who supports the league on this simply isn’t very intelligent. That is the only conclusion I can draw. No one can look at the facts of this case and come up with any other conclusion other than that the league’s owners illegally colluded and then retroactively punished the two owners that didn’t.

I’m not a fan of either team, but this is ridiculous.

29. jimbo75025 says: Mar 21, 2013 6:00 PM

mjkelly77 says:Mar 21, 2013 5:22 PM

——–
    The average NFLPA member doesn’t care until their paycheck is impacted. The next big hurdle that is going to be faced is that QB salaries are in a huge upward spiral. I can understand being the highest paid on the team, but when you re devoting 30% of your total salary cab to a QB and a LB then splitting the rest amongst everyone else, people are going to notice over the long term.

30. theclaim says: Mar 21, 2013 6:20 PM

7 other teams did the SAME thing the Redskins and Cowboys did. Dumped salary in the uncapped year yet NONE of them were punished? Falcons Seahawks Vikings Eagles are just 4 of them. So in short 9 of 32 teams DID dump salary in the uncapped year yet Goodell chose to punish 2 of these teams. ODDLY the 2 teams that bring the biggest $$$ profits to the NFL and pay Goodells salary? Nineroutsider….Ignorance IS bliss. Keep spewing your uninformed rhetoric. It makes you come off as ÜBER intelligent ROTFLMAO. Even with the penalties we won the NFC East. We will be fine this year and be able to compete. NEXT year LOOK the #%€¥ out! Think these 2 teams aren’t pissed? It will be enjoyable every time we SQUASH Maras little blue smurf men. 3-1 in the last 4 meetings and SHOULD be 4-0 barring Madieu Williams letting Cruz run by him on a 9 route with no time left.

31. boyshole25 says: Mar 21, 2013 6:22 PM

Mjkelly is absolutely right blame demaurice smith he has bones the players so bad. He got buffaloed hard durin the lockout wasted all the time and players ended up worse.

32. theclaim says: Mar 21, 2013 6:27 PM

These 16 teams were over the imaginary 123m cap (*team dumped salary in 2010): WAS* 178m, Dallas* 167, NO* 145, MIN* 145, SEA* 140, NYJ* 136, GB** 135, OAK*- 135, IND 133, CHI* 132, PHI* 131, NE* 128, NYG 128, SF 126, MIA 124, HOU 123.1. Four teams, fearing the wrath of Mara, were suspiciously within 1m under the “cap”: DET* 122.9, PIT 122.9, CLE 122.9, BAL 122.3.
    Yet 2 of them were punished. YES that is the New York Giants on the list who also dumped $$$. Read up The Skins and Boys have every right to want their cash back!

33. romoscollarbone says: Mar 21, 2013 6:28 PM

mjkelly77 who is the head if the NFLPA? Demaurice Smith… I don’t need commentary for my comment. Ty.

34. theclaim says: Mar 21, 2013 6:28 PM

The above post is for you nineroutsider

35. kwickett85 says: Mar 21, 2013 6:30 PM

Bowen and Cofield both have $4 million salaries this season. No one has asked them if they would maybe wanna restructure? Cut both salaries in half and put it in next years salary.

36. nineroutsider says: Mar 21, 2013 6:35 PM

@tc725 – It actually wouldn’t be different if this were the 9ers. Also, I only care about the dumping of salaries, not lack of spending. The salary floor didn’t exist until the new CBA.

The reason my outlook wouldn’t be different if this were the 9ers concerns 2 issues: 1) All of the owners agreed to do this and 2) The Boys and Skins took a gamble that they could get away with violating their pact with the owners and lost. If the 9ers made such a stupid business decision I’d expect their business partners to punish them for it.

Everyone is so focused on defending their positions, right or wrong, that they no longer care about the truth. I know it is easy for me to say…I know I would be mad if the 9ers were going through this. But the facts suggest that I would have to be mad at my front office for taking an unnecessary and careless gamble. Or I should be mad at the league for engaging in collusion, but to try to argue that the Skins wanted to do the right thing by not actually colluding is a joke and completely wrong. Just say you hate the league, but don’t try to blame everyone else but your front office for it.

37. theclaim says: Mar 21, 2013 6:37 PM

onearmsteven says:
    Mar 21, 2013 4:32 PM

Name the teams onebraincellsteven? Speak facts or don’t speak

38. nineroutsider says: Mar 21, 2013 6:50 PM

@theclaim – I remember those numbers and that is a good point. Certainly more teams deserved to be punished, but look how crazy the Skins and Boys went compared to everyone else. I guess if they only went a little crazy they would have been all good. Don’t forget that the league also singled out the Raiders and Saints, just to a much lesser extent.

The way this thing was worked out was completely backroom, good ole boy type type stuff. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that room. Collusion 101 was the name of the meeting. I’m not sure why they didn’t punish everyone, but it is easy to see why they went after the Boys and Skins.

The whole thing is dirty bro, but my team tired to stay around that $123 number and if the Skins had gotten away with that kind of dump I would have been hot; they would have had an unfair competitive advantage. If everyone could have done that then all good. Hopefully that makes sense to you.

39. kev86 says: Mar 21, 2013 7:04 PM

Mara had nothing to do with it but will gladly take the blame. Skins fans crying is hysterical.

40. bigbenh8tr says: Mar 21, 2013 7:19 PM

fred davis is still stoned

41. theclaim says: Mar 21, 2013 7:32 PM

Niner, My point can be summed up in a word…UNCAPPED! That doesn’t mean 123 agreed upon. It doesn’t mean ANYTHING but uncapped. Fans had no idea about any collusion UNTIL the 2 teams were singled out. AFTER the fact I hear from fans of all other teams that we CHEATED? See Bill the shady sweatshirt about cheating. My team didn’t go along with a shady plan to dupe players out of extra $$$ and we are WRONG? I totally understand where you are coming from but your team staying at around the “agreed” 123mil is part of the problem not doing what’s right! UNCAPPED. If the league was run the way it was in the 80s WITHOUT free agency,salary cap and profit sharing BOTH our teams would STILL be Dynasties. The Yankees PAY to be dominant in Baseball. You think the Redskins owner wouldn’t PAY to win? We are being punished for spending $$$ and dumping $$$ in an UNCAPPED year. That seems to get lost in all the barb tossing rhetoric spew on this sites comments. How do you punish ANYONE for OVERSPENDING in an uncapped year? Especially when 16 teams did it. I was wrong with my initial claim of 9. Tried to pull it from memory.thats HALF the league. To ME as well as anyone you ask in any bar and exclude this situation. What does no salary cap mean? The answer you will hear 100% of the time will be. You can spend whatever it takes to reel in the players you want to compete that season. You won’t hear, you can spend up to x amount of dollars and anything over is a risk of fiscal punishment for years to come. I hope you understand why this topic pisses me off as a fan.

42. pastabelly says: Mar 21, 2013 7:43 PM

Wasn’t Shanahan involved with cheating on the cap in Denver’s two Super Bowl years?

43. theclaim says: Mar 21, 2013 7:44 PM

Your team last season was great, your team will be great THIS season with the pickups you have managed. 18 mil WOULD have been 4-5 goof FA pickups or 2-3 GREAT ones for my team. Operating at 4/5s the allotted amount we were a surprise in the divisional round. We WILL be back and compete this year. To what extent remains to be seen but I guarantee we would have been a THREAT this season WITH the 18 mil restored

44. dlr4skins says: Mar 21, 2013 10:15 PM

I wish Snyder would take of his favorite Redskins PANTIES and pull the collusion nuke button.

Who can honetsly say Goodell is good for this game? No lowering your head as a HB?

As much as they charge for all aspects of being a fan at the game or at home, you would think he could afford a better lawyer to bury those scary concussion claims!

Goodell has regressed the game Tags built. To hell with him and his half-truth language. I guess he’s resolved to making SATURDAYS the better day to watch for real football.

Approve the contracts, no cap, collusion, punishment 2 1/2 years later on the eve of free agency and he still has the audacity to fine only two teams both in the NFC East. I would love to see him or Mara in the street. The Pats and Saints were penalized less. What a joke his league has become. Sad, very sad Roger but keep pleasing those who may take some money from you.

As for Mara, if you were a real owner with respect for your team you would build your own stadium you loser.

45. spedman24 says: Mar 21, 2013 10:54 PM

THIS IS ALL ON THOSE TRASHY MARA’S

46. petedutcher says: Mar 22, 2013 8:01 AM

I have no problem with the fines…though I think it a bit steep.

My question is why didn’t the Saints have the same thing happen to them because of bounty gate…or the Pats because of spy gate?

Cap penalties is a great way to punish teams.

47. fink says: Mar 22, 2013 2:40 PM

NFL won’t back down from the salary cap penalty.

Redskins won’t sue. So they operate under the penalty.

I’m sorry, I wish there was more. But there’s not. This story is a completely dead horse. It died about two weeks ago.

Stop flogging it.

48. dlr4skins says: Mar 22, 2013 4:57 PM

I’m beginning to think that the Gangnam Style idiot would make a better comish.

Exhibit one: NFL games and or teams in Europe.

I could present more but that says enough.