Fred Davis: If I stay, I could do a lot of damage to defenses

Fred+Davis+Washington+Redskins+v+Tampa+Bay+sHy3eEAlBtkl Getty Images

The Browns are the only team other than the Redskins that has been linked to tight end Fred Davis since the start of free agency, but Cleveland signed a different Davis (Kellen) on Friday.

That may take them out of the running for Fred Davis, which may be why he took some time out of rehabbing his Achilles to make it clear that he’d like to remain to the Redskins. Davis was on the NFL Network and said he understands that he may wind up playing somewhere else, but not before he made the case for why the Redskins should keep him around for another year. It starts with the fact that he was just starting to develop a relationship with quarterback Robert Griffin III.

“Playing with him takes a lot off of me,” Davis said, via CSNWashington.com. “Because defenses have to worry about him, then they have to worry about Alfred [Morris], and now they have worry about Pierre [Garçon]. We have a lot of weapons and if I was to stay here, I feel I definitely can, with a lot one-on-one coverage and people not worrying too much about me, I could do a lot of damage. Which we started doing [before] I got hurt.”

Griffin’s got his own injury issue, of course, but Davis said you could “barely even tell” that Griffin was recovering from knee surgery when the two me workd out together at the team’s headquarters. The Redskins said they wanted to wait to see how Davis was healing before talking deal and Davis has started running as he progresses back to full health. It’s possible someone else will jump into the fray, but, for now, a return to Washington looks like the only option on the table.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
22 Responses to “Fred Davis: If I stay, I could do a lot of damage to defenses”
  1. nineroutsider says: Mar 22, 2013 5:26 PM

I think you need to take what they are offering now; they aren’t going to negotiate against themselves! Do a one year “show me” deal if you feel like you are getting ripped off.

2. vernonbasketball says: Mar 22, 2013 5:43 PM

come to the jets we need a te
    Jet Fan for life

3. theclaim says: Mar 22, 2013 5:45 PM

nineroutsider says:
    Mar 22, 2013 5:26 PM

I completely agree! I want Fred back but he is on his last strike in the leagues illegal substance policy. Fred says he was tested twice within a month and the THC levels in his blood had receded but the league didn’t allow for them to flush out of his system. He and Williams have both ” quit the chron”. Sign him up. But not on a big contract just yet. Let’s see how his Achilles has healed up and go from there NEXT season. One year deal this season

4. duncanthecat says: Mar 22, 2013 5:54 PM

He will be compensated lavishly if he can stay on the field and put up the kind of numbers he is capable off. Sign a one-year and prove yourself.

Washington is the place were he can best reach
    his potential.

5. kegowhisky says: Mar 22, 2013 6:13 PM

Fred started to come into his own last year. Unfortunately between the injury, the suspension, and the spat with the alleged madam in court, I’m just not sure he’s right for the team any more. I hope he can turn it around, but I haven’t seen him start to on any of those levels yet. And, I’m a Skins fan so I’m not just hating.

6. cardiovascularendurance says: Mar 22, 2013 6:14 PM

I thought you guys hired an editor. What the deuce?!?

7. zeekey2013 says: Mar 22, 2013 6:25 PM

OK you’ve been with Washington for however many years now and you haven’t done anything. Now your saying you can do lots of damage. Makes tons of sense

8. GenXJay says: Mar 22, 2013 6:26 PM

Doin Damage 2 Golden Corral.

9. kwjsb says: Mar 22, 2013 6:30 PM

Browns cannot be done at TE yet, all they have are career back-ups.

10. joeytorontosucks says: Mar 22, 2013 6:46 PM

He’s one of the top TE in the league… IMO. Would be nice to see him play with a good QB. I’m really surprised no one has taken a look at him. I know hes got off-field issues but guy can play ball.

11. brownoholic says: Mar 22, 2013 6:56 PM

I don’t care how many backup TEs the Browns have signed, as long as this guy’s a free agent, my fingers are crossed that they land him…

12. goldenperspective says: Mar 22, 2013 7:13 PM

You got to work out with RGIII and Davis? Good stuff

13. gibbskins9 says: Mar 22, 2013 7:53 PM

Bring the whole back and shove it up Mara’s ass

14. brownsclown says: Mar 22, 2013 9:55 PM

Davis is lame in one leg and can’t walk on the other, which makes him a perfect player in Mike Lombardturd’s view. Cleveland will sign him to a mega-deal and through in a wheel chair made by Rolls Royce!

15. jwreck says: Mar 22, 2013 11:27 PM

kegowhisky says: Mar 22, 2013 6:13 PM

___________
    Davis was 3rd in the league among tight ends (with 20+ catches) in yards per catch in 2011, and 5th in 2012. Both seasons he was on pace for 1600 yards before the ACL tear and the suspension. While I’m sure everyone in DC would like to see him on the field for a full season, the idea that he has somehow not proved himself is completely fallacious.

On top of the that, she isn’t a “madam”, alleged or otherwise. Either way Davis is clearly not at fault. The only thing he’s guilty of is being a celebrity with money that can be extorted.

16. burnzido says: Mar 23, 2013 1:52 AM

Anyone else notice how poorly this article was written?
    “he’d like (to) remain to the Redskins”
    “when the two (me workd) out together at the team’s headquarters”
    The quality of this blog going down hill fast!

17. amargosamountain says: Mar 23, 2013 6:46 AM

Fred Davis might be the only remaining starter acquired during the illustrious Jim Zorn era.

From what I understand, I don’t think the Redskins are even offering a one year deal, not yet anyway, until they see how he’s rehabbing. I wonder if there’s some issue we don’t know about, because such a great receiving TE should get more interest than this.

18. amargosamountain says: Mar 23, 2013 6:49 AM

At least he’ll be back with the Redskins where he belongs! Though I thought Logan Paulsen played just as good in relief–their per-play advanced stats were about equal–so glad the ‘Skins resigned one quality TE at least.

19. jwreck says: Mar 23, 2013 9:37 AM

On top of the that, she isn’t a “madam”, alleged or otherwise. Either way, it’s universally acknowledged Davis is not at fault. The only thing he’s guilty of is being a celebrity with money that can be extorted.

20. rg3skinsgetsome says: Mar 23, 2013 10:23 AM

Redskins should have around 36m in 2014 so if they can get davis back on a one year prove it to me deal they will have the money to give a nice contract next year to fred..now just sign freddy we need ya.

21. daddyb1gdrawz says: Mar 23, 2013 12:03 PM

Nothing against Dustin Keller, but this is the guy Miami should have signed. I understand he has questionable decision making but he is a larger receiver. The Skins did not use him enough last season before he got hurt.

22. bigredscouting says: Mar 24, 2013 12:27 PM

I’m not down with this so I got two words for him…PROVE IT!!!