Criticism of Gabbert “pisses off” Jones-Drew

hi-res-129355136_crop_exact Getty Images

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew has taken a break from his job to focus on his education.  But he doesn’t like what he’s been learning about the things folks have anonymously said about his quarterback, Blaine Gabbert.

That pisses me off,” Jones-Drew told Jim Trotter of SI.com regarding the comments of a former Jaguars coach to Gabbert.  “I guess I was raised differently.  You don’t talk bad about someone unless you look him in his eyes and say it to his face.  I was taught to be a man and put your name on it.  Blaine doesn’t deserve that at all.  It’s not all on him.  He’s a very capable quarterback.”

Jones-Drew is a very capable running back.  When healthy.  But he hasn’t been that since October, when he suffered a foot injury against the Raiders.  Trotter describes the condition as a Lisfranc fracture, a term that never had been publicly used — even though the extended duration of Jones-Drew’s absence caused many to believe that’s precisely what had happened.

As Jones-Drew attempts at age 28 and in the final year of his contract to return to form, he’s pointing to the player who has become the most shining example of a stunning return to glory after an agonizing injury.

“That’s what I’m thinking,” Jones-Drew said.  “Adrian Peterson.”

If Jones-Drew can pull it off, the Jaguars could be in for a much better than expected season.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Criticism of Gabbert “pisses off” Jones-Drew”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: Mar 22, 2013 7:34 AM

Poor MJD. He’s trapped in Football hell. Top 5 RBs – Alfred Morris, Marshawn Lynch, Arian Foster, Matt Forte and Maurice Jones Drew in that order.

2. pksullivanmha says: Mar 22, 2013 7:38 AM

Now children!!!!! @footballady52🏈

3. swagjag says: Mar 22, 2013 7:40 AM

Not that I think Gabbert is the second coming of Tom Brady, but I try to imagine Tom Brady playing behind an offensive line that has had a minimum of two “matadors” on it the past two seasons and the results aren’t much different.

4. indywilson40 says: Mar 22, 2013 7:47 AM

Yeah right Maurice, Did you look Jay Cutler in the eyes when you accused him of being soft?

5. ssraebel says: Mar 22, 2013 8:00 AM

Hey Drew – Blaine Gabbert does suck.

Signed,
    Season ticket holder for the Jags

PS I stuck with you and supported you during your holdout last year. The honor your contract crowd never say one word when players are cut.

6. rbanks51 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:00 AM

Ok MJD. That’s why you say behind a computer and called out Cutler.

7. bbgraf08 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:02 AM

Didn’t MJD do just this to Jay Cutler?

8. msclemons67 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:02 AM

It’s only fair. Gabbert’s performance “pisses off” Jags fans.

9. mongo13 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:04 AM

Wasn’t MJD one of those blasting Cutler on Twitter a few yrs ago for sitting out the last part of the playoff game vs the Packers?
    His name may have been on it, but hardly face to face.

10. themagicfanguy says: Mar 22, 2013 8:05 AM

“You don’t talk about someone unless you look him in the eyes and say it to his face.”
    ….Unless it’s Jay Cutler right MoJo?

11. ampats says: Mar 22, 2013 8:08 AM

But it is okay to call out a player on another team who is injured via twitter, MJD ??

12. zappa754 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:11 AM

Who????

13. anrockray says: Mar 22, 2013 8:11 AM

MJD is a warrior and evidently a good teammate as well…

14. strokeytheclown says: Mar 22, 2013 8:18 AM

I think it’s funny how this article started out being about MJD defending Gabbert, but ended up being about his injury. Slow news day, huh guys?

15. bleedgreen says: Mar 22, 2013 8:18 AM

Didn’t MJD talk a bunch of smack about Cutler after that NFCCG? Pot, meet kettle.

16. curtismyfavoritemartin says: Mar 22, 2013 8:21 AM

“I guess I was raised differently. You don’t talk bad about someone unless you look him in his eyes and say it to his face.”

So what do you call tweeting that Jay Cutler is a quitter after leaving a game injured?

17. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 22, 2013 8:22 AM

I’d tell him straight to his face he isn’t any good.

18. joetoronto says: Mar 22, 2013 8:27 AM

“He’s a very capable quarterback” Jones-Drew said, before leaving to get his eyes checked.

19. nathan723481 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:30 AM

Just like when he took to Twitter to criticize Jay Cutler….

20. northshorejag says: Mar 22, 2013 8:40 AM

“that’s my quarterback”

21. steelnucs says: Mar 22, 2013 8:46 AM

“That’s my quarterback you talkin’ bout.”
    Sniff, sniff…

22. bearsandjazz says: Mar 22, 2013 8:52 AM

“I guess I was raised differently. You don’t talk bad about someone unless you look him in his eyes and say it to his face”

What a liar, I specifically remember him talking bad about Cutler and not face to face but thru his twitter account. I guess he was raised to apply that lesson only when it suits him.

23. dylanssongwriter says: Mar 22, 2013 8:53 AM

Look him in the eye, face to face….like MJD did with Jay Cutler

24. illiniftw says: Mar 22, 2013 8:56 AM

So calling out Cutler over Twitter counts as face to face?? Hypocrite

25. diabetic1010 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:58 AM

It pisses him off cause its a constant reminder of how bad his team is….

26. emma333 says: Mar 22, 2013 8:59 AM

Good for MJD for defending his team mate. Jaguars fans don’t have a lot to cheer about right now, but when writers do “drive by” articles(quoting anonymous sources) that are not completely accurate, it needs to be addressed. As a fan, it was frustrating to watch Gabbert, but it was obvious that there were other factors, besides him, involved with the losses. Then, Gabbert always stood before the camera and took the blame. However, nationally, he has earned the name Blame, because of an Yahoo article that gives a fraction of the story. Thanks to MJD (and PFT) for the correction.

27. ccjcsr says: Mar 22, 2013 9:06 AM

Cue the TO memorable press conference,

“That’s my Quarterback, That’s my Teammate”

28. steelerben says: Mar 22, 2013 9:14 AM

372 for 691, 3876 yards, 21 TDs, 17 INT, 9 Fumbles.

QB Rating: 70.2

Who could criticize numbers like that?

29. somlucci says: Mar 22, 2013 9:24 AM

“You don’t talk bad about someone unless you look him in his eyes and say it to his face.” Jay Cutler disagrees

30. mwnorris says: Mar 22, 2013 9:26 AM

“I guess I was raised differently. You don’t talk bad about someone unless you look him in his eyes and say it to his face. ” Says the guy that ripped Jay Cutler on twitter for leaving the NFC Championship game with an MCL.

31. schochnation says: Mar 22, 2013 9:33 AM

Too bad Jacksonville isn’t a very capable fan base…..

32. jcmeyer10 says: Mar 22, 2013 9:43 AM

“I don’t know what you guys are seeing, but he does a great job handing the ball off to me”.

33. stanleyhalas says: Mar 22, 2013 9:48 AM

Just like he looked cutler in the eyes when he bashed him over the Internet? Riiiiiiiight.

34. domesplitter22 says: Mar 22, 2013 10:48 AM

Not a starter! Back up at most for gabbert.

35. domesplitter22 says: Mar 22, 2013 10:49 AM

Till he develops.

36. bkh405 says: Mar 22, 2013 11:00 AM

I think the majority of you running on here to defend Cutler are missing a big point. He put his name on that.

37. jessethegreat says: Mar 22, 2013 11:32 AM

Fans need to enjoy these next 2 years with MoJo, Gore, and Peterson.

Sadly, though all are great players, they are each about to hit the retirement community for running backs.

People will argue and say things like “not the great AD”…. And though I wish they’d last longer it’s a sad fact that ALL RUNNING BACKS FALL OFF SHORTLY BEFORE OR AFTER TURNING 30.

After these guys (and Foster shortly after), we will only see rb by committee sets across the league.

38. toneneo says: Mar 22, 2013 11:43 AM

@bkh405 That’s my point as well. He point his name on it. Putting it on twitter was practically in his face.

39. spankygreen says: Mar 22, 2013 11:43 AM

MJD, don’t mind you being pissed off but please don’t pull a TO and start to cry (literally) about someone picking on your QB as if it’s your sole job to protect him……..that would be $ay….

40. asublimeday says: Mar 22, 2013 12:31 PM

Uh, Maurice…you talked trash about Cutler on social media. What a hypocrite.

41. asublimeday says: Mar 22, 2013 12:33 PM

——

Thanks for the laugh with Morris as #1. Redskins fans are hilarious

42. rollteal says: Mar 22, 2013 12:34 PM

Maurice already has a better rapport with Bradley and he did with Malarkey. I look for a solid season.

43. cuda1234 says: Mar 22, 2013 1:08 PM

Remember when people actually thought MJD was better than Fred Taylor?

44. torfino7 says: Mar 22, 2013 1:20 PM

Those of you calling MJD a hypocrite – did you even read what MJD said? He said “you be a man and put your name on it.”

You all knew it was MJD who said that Cutler was soft. It wasnt “an unnamed prominent NFL running back who chooses to remain nameless told SI.com that Jay Cutler is soft.” MJD PUT HIS NAME ON IT and basically said “yeah, I said it.”

That is precisely what he was complaining about – the anonymous coach who bad-mouthed Gabbert.

45. slaughterrt says: Mar 22, 2013 11:37 PM

Mjd is doing the right thing by supporting his teammate. The blame isnt totally on Gabbert as the rest of the offense is weak. I would say they need to conpletely blow up their offense, but it seems like they are always in rebuild mode. I feel bad for Mjd.

I agree with him about all these punk anonymous comments. Man up, if you are gonna talk trash, stand behind it.

46. johnnyoclock says: Mar 23, 2013 1:06 AM

Ummmm, wasn’t this guy the first guy who hid behind twitter to begin the Jay Cutler bashing?