With the addition of Shonn Greene in Tennessee, Chris Johnson appears to see the writing on the wall. Mike Florio says that it is smart of Johnson to plan ahead for 2014. Also, with USC’s pro day coming up, Matt Barkley is poised to climb on draft boards, possibly over Geno Smith.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
PFT Live: Is this the beginning of the end for CJ2K in Tennessee?
For one thing, Belichick feels the same way about sharing information about his football team as certain celebrities feel about having their intimate photos pulled out of the cloud and shared across the globe. For another, Belichick says that no decision has been made about whether or not Gronkowski will be on the field.
“I’m glad that Rob’s optimistic about this situation,” Belichick said, via CSNNE.com. “We’ll go through the week of practice and take a look at everything, everybody, and see where everybody’s at and try to do what we feel like is best for the team. With all due respect to Rob — I’m glad he feels the way he does — but, in the end, we’ll have to make the decision we feel like is best for the team and we’ll do that as we go through the week.”
Belichick may be telling the truth or, given the previously mentioned distaste for sharing information, he may know exactly what the Patriots plan to do this Sunday. Either way, the Dolphins aren’t likely to get a clear idea of the team’s plans until much closer to kickoff so they’ll have to be prepared for all eventualities.
Poor Chad Henne gets no respect.
Not only does everyone want to give his job away to rookie Blake Bortles, but fantasy owners prefer a guy who just lives in Jacksonville to the Jaguars starting quarterback.
ESPN just tweeted out word that more people in their fantasy leagues own Tim Tebow (1.3 percent of teams) than Henne (0.8).
Now granted, people do silly things with fantasy teams all the time, for the sake of being able to play the “he was ahead of his time” card with their buddies.
(Full disclosure, in 2002, Steve Spurrier’s first year with the Redskins, I drafted Danny Wuerffel, Shane Matthews and Patrick Ramsey to cash in on all those points when Spurrier inevitably shuffled quarterbacks like he did at Florida. Yeah, that was stupid.)
Maybe all those people will look like geniuses when Tebow leaps out of his chair on the broadcast set and leads some team to record rushing numbers.
Or maybe, somebody should have kept their buddies from turning too much water into too much wine during the draft.
Antonio Brown plays a big role in the Steelers offense, but that won’t be his only role in the coming season.
Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that the team will use Brown as a punt returner this season as well. There was some thought that the addition of the speedy Dri Archer in the draft would lead to a change in roles for Brown, but Tomlin said that Archer will only be an option for the team alongside Brown.
That announcement naturally leads to thoughts about the injury risk that Brown will take on by expanding his portfolio, but Tomlin said that the team won’t live in fear of injury when it comes to deploying a player they believe can help them.
“He is a Pro Bowl caliber return man, so that’s how you play him,” Tomlin said of Brown, via the team.
There’s no question that Brown has skills with two career punt return touchdowns and a 12.8-yard average on returns last season. He’s also a Pro Bowl caliber receiver, though, and losing that would likely hurt the Steelers much more than going with Archer or others as the full-time punt return options.
When 49ers Ray McDonald was arrested for felony domestic violence this weekend, he became the first test case for the league’s new, tougher policy on the matter.
But he’ll also test his own coach’s long-held attitude toward players who put their hands on women.
During his regular appearance on KNBR this morning, Harbaugh made it clear he would not tolerate behavior such that McDonald has been accused of.
“I’ll be very clear,” Harbaugh said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “You ask me how I feel about domestic violence. I can be very clear about that. If someone physically abuses a woman and/or physically or mentally abuses or hurts a child then there’s no understanding, there’s no tolerance for that.”
Asked if he would not allow a player convicted of such charges to remain on his team, he replied: “Yes, we would not. We can be very clear.”
McDonald is continuing to practice with the 49ers, and has maintained his innocence. The 49ers have said they’ll continue to investigate, and Harbaugh said he was also convinced he needed to let the legal process play out.
“There are going to be two principles at play here,” Harbaugh said “And one is, I’ll speak for myself, I’ll speak for the 49ers: We’ll not tolerate domestic violence. The second principle, we’re firm believers in due process. And I ask for your understanding on those two principles.”
Those are not mutually exclusive principles. But it does put Harbaugh in stark contrast to his brother John, who has wrapped his arms around running back Ray Rice, whose shamefully light punishment triggered the increased punishment McDonald could face.
Colts owner Jim Irsay pleaded guilty to operating a vehicle under the influence on Tuesday, bring an end to the legal case stemming from his arrest in March.
Irsay faced two misdemeanor charges as a result of the arrest, but the second one was dropped as part of a plea deal that left Irsay sentenced to a year of probation. Mike Wells of ESPN.com reports that Irsay, who was found to be under the influence of oxycodone and hydrocodone, will undergo drug testing as a condition of his probation and that his driver’s license has been suspended for one year.
With the legal case now concluded, the question is whether the NFL will also be issuing a suspension as a result of Irsay’s malfeasance. Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported that a six-to-eight-game suspension is expected with a good chance that the league will act quickly to enact the suspension before the Colts open the season against the Broncos on Sunday night.
Irsay had no comment before leaving the Hamilton County courthouse.
But there’s far more to Still’s story, and the Bengals’ willingness to stand by him.
According to Paul Dehner of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Still’s 4-year-old daughter Leah is battling cancer, and Still admitted he can’t give a game his undivided attention.
“I completely understand where they were coming from,” Still said. “I can’t give football 100 percent right now. In the business aspect they want guys to solely focus on football, which is understandable. We are here to win this city a Super Bowl and right now I am not in a position where I can give football 100 percent of everything I have.”
In a sense, the practice squad is the perfect opportunity for the team to help Still, since he’ll continue to make more than $100,000 if he stays there all year, and he’ll maintain his health insurance at a critical time. But he won’t travel on road trips, so he’ll have the opportunity to spend more time in Philadelphia with his daughter as she begins a fourth round of chemotherapy.
Their loyalty in a profession not known for it is not lost on Still.
“They could have just washed their hands completely of it,” he said. “Say we don’t care what’s going on in his personal life, we just want people who can care 100 percent on football, that’s what they pay us to do. But they thought about my personal issues and allowed me to come back on the practice squad so I still have insurance. They said if I keep working on my physical with my injury and mentally prepared myself to focus on football, then they can move me back up to the roster, so I am not all the way out of the loop. . . .
“The Bengals were loyal to me. I’m not about to up and leave them. Loyalty is something I really need right now because I never know what direction this is going to go with my daughter.”
The Bengals deserve credit for allowing Still the opportunity to deal with a personal crisis, and he hopes to repay them down the line, by playing the kind of football they imagined when they chose him in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft.
Kurt Coleman and Andy Reid are back together again.
Coleman’s agent Blake Baratz announced on Twitter that the safety has signed a contract with the Chiefs for the 2014 season. Coleman was released by the Vikings as Minnesota got down to 53 players over the weekend, but spent the first four years of his career in Philadelphia and played for Reid in three of those seasons.
Coleman made 29 starts while Reid was the Eagles coach, but is ticketed for a backup role in Kansas City. Eric Berry and Husain Abdullah are going to start, but the team was short on experienced depth and Berry’s been bothered by a heel issue throughout the summer.
Kelcie McCray and undrafted rookie Daniel Sorensen are the other safeties currently on the Chiefs roster, although the corresponding roster move to bring Coleman on board could change that. The Chiefs also have five running backs at present, so the move may come from another area.
Now that Kyle Orton has returned to football and signed with the Bills, does Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones have any regrets about releasing Orton from his contract?
Not at all.
Jones said he was expecting Orton to sign with some team at the end of the preseason, and Jones is fine with that because Jones believes the Cowboys have a good backup quarterback in their own right in Brandon Weeden.
“It didn’t really surprise me because right at the end, right when we started to camp, Kyle basically came to Dallas and expressed an interest in playing,” Jones said on KRLD-FM, via the Star-Telegram. “But we had decided to go in a different direction. We liked everything Weeden was doing, so it gave us a good chance to take a player that’s got a chance to help us many years into the future. We thought getting Weeden some experience, you could have him where Kyle Orton is pretty quick. That’s not taking anything away from Kyle Orton as much as it is giving Weeden a big plus.”
For now, Jones thinks he made the right move when he let Orton walk and signed Weeden. If Tony Romo goes down, Jones may reconsider.
We’re a little more than 48 hours away from the start of the 2014 season and PFT Live is your spot for everything you need to know about the Packers and Seahawks ahead of the season opener.
We’ll start things off on Tuesday with a visit from Curtis Crabtree of PFT and KJR Radio in Seattle. He’ll give us the latest scoop on what to expect from the Seahawks as they try to pull off the first Super Bowl repeat in many moons. He and Mike Florio will talk about Percy Harvin’s role on the offense, the makeup of the offensive line and much more during the show.
We’re also interested to find out what you want to know about Week One. Florio will answer your questions, so send them in on Twitter — @ProFootballTalk — or by giving a call to 888-237-5269 during the show.
It all gets started at noon ET and you can watch it all live by clicking right here.
No one can be sure what to expect from the Buccaneers’ offense this year, with a new head coach, a new coordinator and a new quarterback.
The fact we don’t know who’ll call the plays this weekend adds to the mystery.
According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, the Buccaneers are preparing this week as if offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford won’t be there for the opener against the Panthers.
The 52-year-old Tedford has been out since he was hospitalized for an undisclosed surgery last week. He stopped by the team facility over the weekend, but hasn’t returned to a full work schedule yet.
“Obviously, Jeff’s been leading our offense through the whole offseason, so any time you take a piece away, there can be some disruption,” quarterback Josh McCown said. “But the coaches seem like they are, so far, doing a great job picking up the slack and doing what we need to do.”
Head coach Lovie Smith said Tedford has been working part-time from home, and wouldn’t rule him out of appearing Sunday.
“With technology, you don’t have to be here every second to get work done,” Smith said. “Jeff is involved in what we’re doing right now, having as much input, pretty much as he would have if he was here.”
Quarterbacks coach Marcus Arroyo called the plays in Thursday’s preseason finale, and would again if Tedford’s not on site.
Arroyo’s never called a play in an NFL game. Then again, neither has Tedford. At this stage, you hope he gets himself well, and doesn’t insert himself into a high-pressure environment before he’s physically able.
Football really starts this week. And PFT is on the scene in Seattle for the Thursday night opener against the Packers and Seahawks.
Which means that I had to muster the nerve, fueled by something strong enough to power a jet engine, to walk into a plane (actually, two of them) and to make the long trek west from West Virginia.
Now that I’m here, I’ll be heading over to CenturyLink Field for PFT Live at 9:00 a.m. PT (noon ET) and Pro Football Talk on NBCSN at 2:30 p.m. PT (5:30 p.m. ET).
On Tuesday, Curtis Crabtree joins me from the set for PFT Live, and we’ll also answer your questions.
Later in the week, I’ll be joined by Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent for PFT Live.
It all leads up to Thursday night, when the ball gets kicked to start the season.
When cornerback Derek Cox was released by the Ravens over the weekend, word was that the team would be bringing him back to the active roster in time for the first week of the regular season.
It looks like that move has come to pass. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that Cox has re-signed with the team on a one-year deal under the NFL’s minimum salary benefits provision that will have him count $570,000 against the cap while being paid $730,000.
Wilson reports that Cox drew interest from an AFC South team in the last couple of days, but opted to return to the team that signed him shortly after he was released by the Vikings earlier this summer.
With Lardarius Webb, Jimmy Smith and Asa Jackson back at practice this week, the Ravens should be at full strength at corner for the season opener against the Bengals. How much time that will leave for Cox is up in the air, but the Ravens probably wouldn’t be bringing him back if they didn’t have a role in mind for him.
Thanks to Brad Meester, the Jaguars haven’t had to worry about finding a starting center for quite a while.
That changed this year, though. Meester retired after a 14-year career and the Jaguars had to find a replacement for the middle of their offensive line. Their first choice was Mike Brewster, but he struggled so much in the first two preseason games that he wound up being waived off the roster entirely over the weekend. They then turned to Jacques McClendon for the third game and liked his work enough to hand him the starting job for the regular season.
“I don’t have any time to revel about that,” McClendon said, via the Florida Times-Union. “We came in and tried to attack this game plan for the Eagles. I’m really looking forward to making sure we’re on top of our P’s and Q’s and are ready for the game on Sunday.”
McClendon, a 2010 fourth-round pick, made the first two starts of his career at guard for the Jaguars at the end of last season and actually played more guard than center this summer. That should have the Jaguars line growing on the fly as they are starting rookie Brandon Linder at right guard, newcomer Zane Beadles at left guard and Luke Joeckel at left tackle after he opened his NFL career on the right side.
Quarterback Chad Henne will bear some of the brunt of any growing pains in front of him, which likely went into the thought process behind letting Blake Bortles begin his professional days on the bench.
As Michael Sam waits for an NFL opportunity that may never come, some think that the reluctance of other teams to add the SEC defensive player of the year to the practice squad flows from the ESPN report regarding his shower habits.
While his shower habits and anything else unrelated to his football skills should have no relevance as to whether he should hold one of the 2,016 jobs currently available in the NFL, the extra attention and potential for external disruption connected to a member of the practice squad could be making some (or perhaps many) teams shy away.
We’ll never know whether Sam would be on a roster if ESPN hadn’t inadvertently complicated his situation by haphazardly trying to share some of its details, even if those details weren’t fully developed. But we do know more about how the story came to be, courtesy of Richard Deitsch of SI.com.
Deitsch explains how the story of Sam’s habits could have been a real story, if it had been reported the right way — and of course if the facts had supported a conclusion that Sam deliberately was avoiding the shower room when teammates were present.
“In the right hands and with the right reporting, it can be a story,” Outsports.com co-founder Jim Buzinksi told Deitsch. “If one were to determine that Sam was in fact not showering with his teammates and that his behavior is different from the showering habits of the other Rams, that could be a legit story. But it has to be seriously reported and sourced. What Josina Anderson did was throw out one anonymous player who said Sam ‘seemed’ to be holding back showering, then quoted another saying there could be a million reasons why this is. . . .
“It was junk food reporting, devoid of journalistically nutritional value. When Jon Stewart makes you a punchline, you know you have swung and missed.”
ESPN doesn’t seem to be willing to further dissect its K. ESPN declined to make reporter Josina Anderson available to Deitsch, and she separately declined comment when Deitsch contacted her directly.
That’s a bad decision, on both fronts. While it’s obvious that ESPN has decided that not talking about the story will end the discussion of it, ESPN needs to fully own it and discuss it and debate it if the media in general is going to actually learn from it.
Deitsch separately learned that Anderson didn’t ask about Sam’s shower habits, and that a player brought up the shower issue in response to a question regarding how Sam is fitting in. While it hardly excuses the decision to publish those details, which carried many more fingerprints than Anderson’s, it helps paint the full picture about what happened. If ESPN had cooperated with Deitsch in the same way ESPN hopes that teams and players will cooperate with ESPN, the picture would be even more complete.
Deitsch has other great details that help tell the story about how a story that shouldn’t have been told came to be.
The Cardinals lost wide receiver Walter Powell to the Jets after putting him on waivers, but they have been able to bring several other players cut on the way to 53 players back to the practice squad.
Wide receiver Brittan Golden is the most experienced member of the squad among the players announced by the team. Golden joined the team last season as a member of the practice squad, but eventually graduated to the active roster. Golden played in five games and made four catches for 136 yards, but the arrivals of John Brown and Ted Ginn made the numbers game a losing one.
The Cardinals haven’t announced the return of defensive tackle Christian Tupou, but Mike Jurecki of FOX Sports 910 reports he’ll also be back with the team. Tupou, claimed on waivers during the offseason, had three tackles in five games for the Bears last year.
Arizona also brought back linebacker Jonathan Brown, tight end Andre Hardy, cornerback Jimmy LeGree, tackle Kelvin Palmer and guard Anthony Steen. There are three spots left to fill on the practice squad.