Four years after nearly coming home, Lechler returns to Houston

Texans Lechler Football AP

Punter Shane Lechler, a Lone Star State native, has left the only NFL team for which he has played to join the Houston Texans.

Meeting the media on the day he signed a document that officially ended his 13-year run with the Raiders, Lechler said it nearly happened in 2009.

“I always followed the Texans since they brought the franchise here,” Lechler said, via comments distributed by the Texans.  “It’s just something that I’ve been looking forward to for a while.  I thought it was going to happen four years ago, but Mr. Davis offered something that I was not going to turn down.  Now that that’s out of the way and signing here today in Houston, I’m very excited.”

Lechler was surprised that the Raiders didn’t try to keep him, but he’s happy to be coming home.

“[T]hat’s in the past now,” Lechler said of the Raiders’ lack of interest.  “I knew, when I hit free agency this year, I knew there was one place that I had in mind, and that was here.  Luckily, it worked out; the situation has worked out.  Everything fell into place.”

In Houston, Lechler will be playing for a head coach who recruited him in high school.  “To be around Coach Kubiak, it’s going to be an honor and a lot of fun,” Lechler said.  “They’re winning a lot of football games, which I’m ready to get involved in as much as I can.  I’m just excited about it.”

In all, Lechler used the word “excited” seven times during his remarks.

Who does this punter think he is?  A personal punt protecter?

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Four years after nearly coming home, Lechler returns to Houston”
  1. raiderapologist says: Mar 23, 2013 9:44 PM

Lechler almost sounds like he was unhappy being the highest paid punter in league history. The last four years must have been pure hell for him, except for when he went to the ATM to check his account balance.

2. acaladar says: Mar 23, 2013 10:03 PM

Raiders lost their best player

3. dalucks says: Mar 23, 2013 10:15 PM

I want the Texans to sign a Raider in free agency, I was thinking Richard Seymour. Shane Lechler is a good signing but the Texans could still use Richard Seymour.
    Ed Reed cannot lead by himself, Richard Seymour would be a valuable addition.

4. jaewest304 says: Mar 23, 2013 10:21 PM

If he got in the Hall of Fame (he should though he won’t) he’d go in a Raider!! I read an article with him saying how he loved the Raiders etc. Happy for him he gets to play at home in Houston and thankful for the work he put it in Oakland

5. mullman76 says: Mar 23, 2013 10:49 PM

He just wanted to go home, so be it.

Once Big Reg put a punter on IR everyone knew Lechler was not coming back.

He was a great Raider, in the realm of legendary Ray Guy.

I wish him the best.

Go RAIDERS

6. boogerhut says: Mar 23, 2013 11:39 PM

At least you get to compete on a real team now.

7. raiderinva says: Mar 24, 2013 1:20 AM

I am happy for Shane Lechler. How many players or coaches stay with one team for 13+ years?

He is not bashing and talking trash against the Raiders or Al Davis (Marc) so this is a class move all the way by both sides. Shane was always great with the fans and will be loved in Houston. Do I wish he was still a Raider…. YES

He will always be a Raider to the true fans of the Silver and Black…… (Ray Guy has to be first in the HOF)

8. henrysmyagent says: Mar 24, 2013 4:15 AM

He is a real professional and great Raider. Going to miss his booming kicks. Go RAIDERS!

9. bullsonparade1977 says: Mar 24, 2013 7:41 AM

Doesn’t mean if a team puts a kicker on ir that they’re not going to resign arguably the best punter of all time. If you knew anything you would know that the Texans also put a punter on ir last year. Texans are too smart to pass on this legend of the game. Just proves that the raiders still don’t have a clue on how to judge talent.

10. philvil41 says: Mar 24, 2013 7:56 AM

Having had the opportunity to meet Lechler on more than one occasion, I will say this he was a GIANT A-HOLE! Hope he never wins anything in Houston.

11. smithopher says: Mar 24, 2013 9:53 AM

bullsonparade1977- how does it prove the raiders can’t judge talent? They made him the highest paid punter ever when he was in his prime, that’s an indication that they understood his v alue. Now they are in the rebuilding process and dumping more money than anyone else in the NFL on a punter isn’t something I would be able to justify. Pay someone the minimum and sign more low risk undrafted free agents or something.

12. vipod4ever says: Mar 24, 2013 12:28 PM

He got payed very well, played very well in Oak. At this point in his career, the best move to make. Oakland will go w/M.King, trust me on this, King might be a pro-bowler this coming year, if anything, he will get many attempts based on the Raiders lineup for 2013

13. nomesayin says: Mar 24, 2013 1:40 PM

As a Raider fan I’m sad to see Shane leave. However, if McKenzie decided to franchise him, Shane would have had to take a pay cut. If this is true, Shane Lechler would have been the only player in history to have been franchised and make less money that he was the previous year. I can’t think of any other player that could say that

14. thapurrinlion says: Mar 25, 2013 2:54 PM

The franchise tag provides for you to get paid 120% of your last year’s salary if it’s more than what the average pay works out to be.