Wood ready to become a leader for Bills

Wood AP

We’ve learned two things about Bills center Eric Wood today.  First, he’s ready to become a leader on the Bills offensive line.

Second, he looks like a grown-up version of Thurman Merman.

As to the more important point, Wood explained his current mindset to The John Murphy Show on Friday.  “I’m assuming that’s one of the roles this coaching staff will expect me to have,” Wood said, via the team’s official website.  “I look forward to that.”

The 2009 first-rounder also is looking forward to a new contract from the Bills.

“Hopefully I can have a deal done with Buffalo before too long, and seal up my future in Buffalo,” Wood said.  “But at this point, I’m just looking forward to my fifth year in Buffalo, really feeling healthy this time of the year for the first time in a while, and I’m doing OTAs for the first time in a while, and just really excited about this season’s going to bring.”

Wood will be present for the start of the offseason conditioning program on April 2.

Maybe when he gets there he can fix his teammates some sandwiches.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Wood ready to become a leader for Bills”
  1. fitzmagic1212 says: Mar 23, 2013 9:01 PM

good guy to have on our team. hes had freak injuries so hopefully he can stay healthy and help our rookie qb. oh and i better change my username..

2. buffalobills716 says: Mar 23, 2013 9:06 PM

Way 2 go Mr Wood

3. tigers182 says: Mar 23, 2013 9:10 PM

It’s time for Wood to stiffen up and put his head into leadership.

4. EJ says: Mar 23, 2013 9:39 PM

Great player, but I’m still sore over the fact that they let his draft classmate Andy Levitre go to the Titans. Levitre was the best lineman on the team. He was able to shift from Guard to Tackle to Center with no problem. On top of that, he was about as solid as they come, I don’t think he missed a game yet in his career. Having Levitre line up next to Wood and Glenn made that side of the line strong and complete. Now the Bills have a huge position to fill, maybe too big.

5. reeggss says: Mar 23, 2013 9:45 PM

This guy can be a beast, here’s to him staying healthy

6. dalucks says: Mar 23, 2013 9:55 PM

Dear Bills fans,
    Tell your front office to draft CMU LT Eric Fisher or UNC OG Jonathan Cooper with the Bills 1st round pick. Then, trade your 2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th round picks to the Texans for the 27th pick in the draft.
    With the 27th pick, the Bills can draft Syracuse QB Ryan Nassib. That gives the Bills help on the offensive line plus a QB on a 5 year contract.

Sincerely yours,
    A Die Hard Texans fan
    Luv Ya Blue Steel

7. Mike Wanhatalo says: Mar 23, 2013 10:07 PM

3 items:
    1) I rarely comment. EJ you are, by far, the most reasonable voice from a Bills fan on this site. I appreciate your remorse for losing Levitre. But $8 million is A LOT for a guard. The Bills need to recognize that if they let Wood get to FA he will demand much more than he will settle for this year to just extend his stay in Buffalo.
    2) This interview was done Friday night. I listened to the Podcast this morning while cleaning the fridge. I understand that this site tries to keep an even coverage, but just admit it… the Bills have nothing to cover right now. Please don’t recycle stories from the Bills website just to make a post for PFT. Just leave this for the One-Liners. I love the site, but this is akin to Twitter following.
    3) Thurman Merman?!?! Really?! Us Bills fans liked that joke when Wood was a rookie. He was a 1st rd. pick, and has been in the league for 4 years. Oh, and his last name is Wood??! Hahahaha hilarious. C’mon PFT. My favorite site has to borrow a team page story and then take the easy joke… Rant off. Time to go set fire to my brackets.

8. kgun80 says: Mar 23, 2013 10:26 PM

Sign the kid long term soon!! Tough as nails and plays with a mean steak. And if anything he looks like the kid from bad Santa.

9. fumblenuts says: Mar 23, 2013 11:12 PM

Time to bring the wood…..

10. jr507 says: Mar 23, 2013 11:14 PM

I generally disagree with much of what’s on this site (though bless u guys for the rapid fire articles), but as someone who’s been calling Wood Thurman Merman for years, I tip my hat to you Mike.

Now if only some of the sad souls who have nothing better to do than make Rex Ryan foot jokes can drop dead….what a wonderful world it would be.

11. pacificnw7722 says: Mar 23, 2013 11:17 PM

“Maybe when he gets there he can fix his teammates some sandwiches.”

Did he ever find the “talking walnut”?

12. steelturf76 says: Mar 23, 2013 11:32 PM

@kgun80 the kids name from Bad Santa was Thurman Merman…

13. Iknoweverything says: Mar 23, 2013 11:41 PM

The kid from Bad Santa grew up to be a Bills player?

14. billsfan1 says: Mar 24, 2013 12:20 AM

This guy instantly became a legend in Buffalo when he told Aaron Maybin to return his money to the Bills for being a fraud. Called Maybin a joke in preseason… classic. This guy is a top young center in the league and could be a pro bowler if he stops breaking his damn leg…

In all seriousness, Eric Wood is a keeper and a guy any team would love to have on their roster…He is also the kind of center that any qb would want protecting his front side… nasty on the field..

15. rushmatic says: Mar 24, 2013 12:48 AM

Thurman Merman! hahhahahaha well played, Florio.

16. taintedsaints2009 says: Mar 24, 2013 12:49 AM

Ugh. His leg injury haunts me.

17. applecool1981 says: Mar 24, 2013 2:07 AM

Before worrying about becoming a leader, just stay healthy. You can’t lead if you’re not on the field.

18. applecool1981 says: Mar 24, 2013 2:11 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I like Wood but he’s not going to be worth anything that he will get on the market next year, especially with his injury history. Even if he’s not injury prone and just gets injured in freaky plays, the injuries mount up and it will become much easier for him to be injured. They should’ve kept Levitre and let Wood walk next year. Now it’s like they have to resign Wood, even thought they shouldn’t.

19. patriots420 says: Mar 24, 2013 3:00 AM

I see there are now 8 people who give a crap about the bills… They are circling the wagons lol

20. thelastpieceofcheese says: Mar 24, 2013 9:11 AM

Wood’s lead will not help the Bills irrelevancy.

21. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 26, 2013 8:30 PM

“He said wood. Heh he hee hee hee”
    -Beavis