Eagles pull punter swap

Vikings Texans Football AP

With the Texans signing punter Shane Lechler, punter Donnie Jones needs a new home.

He found one, in Philly.

The Eagles have announced that Jones has been signed to a one-year deal.

“Donnie Jones is a guy that we have admired over the last several years,” Eagles G.M. Howie Roseman said.  “He has one of the strongest legs in the entire NFL and we’re excited we had a chance to sign him.  We watched a lot of tape on him and he’s coming off a very good season with Houston.  We feel he’ll add a good element to our special teams units.”

The acquisition of Jones has in turn triggered the departure of Mat McBriar.

“Mat was nothing but a consummate professional for us in 2012,” Roseman said.  “He battled back from a tough injury situation to punt very well last year.  We just decided to go in a different direction with Donnie and we wish Mat and his family all the best as he continues his NFL career.”

Jones spent a year in Houston after five seasons with the Rams.  McBriar joined the Eagles after spending eight years with the Cowboys.

And so McBriar will try to supplant a punter with another team, and the process will continue, perhaps indefinitely.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Eagles pull punter swap”
  1. officialgame says: Mar 25, 2013 1:16 PM

Anybody know why Texas chose not to resign Jones?

2. wjcain23 says: Mar 25, 2013 1:21 PM

Because of Lechler. Apparently they wanted him a few years ago but Al Davis dropped a ton of $$ on him. I want to know why it seems every damn ex-Texan goes to the Eagles, though…

3. nineroutsider says: Mar 25, 2013 1:31 PM

Big upgrade for the Birds as long as Jones is relatively the same outside of the dome.

4. flavordave says: Mar 25, 2013 1:32 PM

Who cares? The Eagles over under on season punts is at 5. The offensive machine is getting ready to go downtown Julie brown all over you.

5. bobonmycob says: Mar 25, 2013 1:44 PM

wjcain23 says:Mar 25, 2013 1:21 PM

I don’t mind, The Texans are nothing but class. They are a great organization with great coaches and players. It could be worse, we could be taking players from the cowboys…..

6. Chris Henry's Wild Ride says: Mar 25, 2013 2:01 PM

You mean the Eagles will punt 5 times a quarter right?

7. firestarter0728 says: Mar 25, 2013 2:08 PM

McBriar will sign with the Raiders. And the circle will be complete.

8. rkt4mayor says: Mar 25, 2013 2:12 PM

I am a life long Eagles fan and I have a bad feeling about this Chip Kelly experiment. He keeps claiming that he will adapt his scheme to the team, but he is switching a 4-3 roster to a 3-4 scheme and added Dennis Dixon for his offense. Proving he is lying when he claims he is going to adapt to his roster.

9. rkt4mayor says: Mar 25, 2013 2:16 PM

Chip Kelly = Rich Kotite II

An alleged “offensive genius” who my fellow Eagles fans will make countless excuses for to avoid admitting that they should’ve never run Andy Reid out of town.

Just like they did with Buddy Ryan after he was canned for the inept Kotite.

My Eagles have never won a Super Bowl because the fans wear great coaches out.

10. 12strikes says: Mar 25, 2013 2:49 PM

I smell CHAMPIONSHIP.

11. kdub79 says: Mar 25, 2013 3:08 PM

Rky4mayor- please find a different team to root for. We don’t need your doom and gloom WIP attitude. Maybe CK is another Kotite, maybe he’s another Belichick, or maybe he’s somewhere in between. I’m just excited about not knowing what to expect for the first time in 15 years.

12. phillyphannn83 says: Mar 25, 2013 3:22 PM

rkt4mayor- I wasn’t aware that it was the fan’s fault that Andy’s offense got stagnant. I must have missed the sign up sheet to call plays and timeouts.

13. 4getu says: Mar 25, 2013 3:27 PM

I agree with kdub79. CP hasn’t even coached a single practice yet and people are already complaining. He does have to adapt to the players he has, he can’t build an entirely different 53 man roster in one off season, and are people really surprised that he’s bringing in new players especially on defense after the season they had last year. What would it take to shut the negative eagle “fans” up? Not happy unless you’re miserable

14. 4getu says: Mar 25, 2013 3:28 PM

CK, oops

15. flavordave says: Mar 25, 2013 4:08 PM

Rky- There’s nothing more pathetic then a self loathing fan. The term fan is derived from the word fanatic.Sports to me is about having fun. I love my Eagles. That’s obvious. I’m an Eagle fan my sons an eagle fan my dad was an eagle fan his dad with an eagle fan and so on. you can’t have the glory if you don’t have the pain. There’s nothing more disgusting to me than a bandwagon fan. You didn’t earn it. I have no idea what type of fan you really must be to believe that Andy Reid had anything left in the tank or any desire to still be here did you not watch that Giants game at the end of the season even his players didn’t want him? what’s it back this year in witness Chip Kelly’s world beating 11 headed offensive Machine Tour 2013

16. flavordave says: Mar 25, 2013 4:11 PM

I obviously didn’t proofread that but you get the point

17. rkt4mayor says: Mar 25, 2013 4:14 PM

kdub79,
    You can expect another sub .500 season I guarantee.

The Eagles are going to be a mess for at least the next couple of seasons.

Reid may have been burnt out over the last couple of seasons but you can’t blame him for blowing coverage and fumbling and throwing picks left and right.

My point is we had a good thing with Reid. Only myopic fans who prefer “surprise” over stability would be excited about Rich Kotite II er I mean Chip Kelly….what a masculine name…Chip…

18. rkt4mayor says: Mar 25, 2013 4:19 PM

flavordave,

You may want to grab a Webster’s dictionary in between your self love sessions over your over the bed poster of Chip Kelly.

Self Loathing would mean I loathe myself. I don’t loathe myself, I loathe the loud mouth know nothing “fans” of my team.

The majority of Eagles fans are intelligent and classy. It is the morons who raged and foamed at the mouth about the winningest coach in franchise history who I despise.

In short, people like you flavordave….(something tells me the “flavor” is CK’s sweat)….

19. girlsknowsportstoo says: Mar 25, 2013 4:23 PM

Why is it the fans fault…This sounds like more media/ESPN propaganda. Philadelphia If you listen to talk radio, i.e. Angelo Cataldi who bashes or questions every coach, and take it for gospel you are a fool. The media is built to create controversy, ratings, readers, etc…Not one down has been played. Let the team rebuild. FYI: I would love to know the person who called Rich Kotite a genius…probably the same posters who bow to the radio Gods.

20. rkt4mayor says: Mar 25, 2013 4:25 PM

The Eagles have been cursed since signing Dog Killer #7.

Until we rid ourselves of his turnover prone, empty headed, self we will continue to implode as a team.

Chip Kelly struck me as a complete moron the moment he decided to bring back DK #7.

I don’t believe for even a second that Andy Reid was behind the decision to ditch McNabb for Vick.

I think that was all Jeff Lurie and Howie Roseman.

And, they proved it by resigning that loser DK #7.

Reid in KC meanwhile, made the brilliant decision to trade for a QB who is accurate and can do simple things like protect the football and read a defense.

21. flavordave says: Mar 25, 2013 4:26 PM

Rkt-when the Chip Kelly band wagon comes driving up your street, I’ll be the guy driving it throwing snowballs at you. So don’t even bother trying to get on board we don’t want you

22. rkt4mayor says: Mar 25, 2013 4:31 PM

Prediction: Andy Reid will win a Super Bowl for KC just like Dick Vermeil did in St. Louis.

Eagles fans who wouldn’t know a good thing if it slapped them upside the head will complain that Reid was beloved and walked out on them rather than the reverse.

Meanwhile, Chip Kelly will be coaching USC by 2016 after bombing out in the NFL, and the Eagles will be hiring a Ray Rhoades like loser to take his place.

And the wheel will turn.

23. jam11163 says: Mar 25, 2013 4:40 PM

hes not an ot. this will get us to the super bowl…

24. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Mar 25, 2013 5:06 PM

Dear level headed and realistic eagle fans who raise legitimate concerns about the Chip Kelly era, you are hurting 4getu’s little feelings.

Please jump on the “CK going to the HOF in Canton” band wagon when posting comments on PFT so that 4getu can live in his little dream world where the eagles actually win a super bowl. One day he may deal with reality but for now, let 4getu have his little moment in the sun.

Thanks
    Management

25. ninozlatino says: Mar 25, 2013 5:11 PM

when u refer to Mike Vick as dogkilller how can anything u say after b taken seriously? u obviouly are biased. he served his time. did more for dogs and animal abuse than u know. above and beyond what he was mandated to do. give the man a break already. now his football play? attack that all u want he sucked. cant defend that. lets just hope Kelly wants every chance to win now while still building a team. I hope Vick is awesome next season. Dog killer or no.

26. jaredo10 says: Mar 25, 2013 6:17 PM

To early to judge chip. its 50/50 with him right now. All I know bird fans with a 4 and 12 record and with our roster the only way to go is up the i95 to the super bowl bYtcheZZZ

27. 4getu says: Mar 25, 2013 9:20 PM

Ha ha! The little cowboy beotch is back. Its been awhile. What happened, did you get grounded and lost your Internet privileges? Glad to see your still the same little overly concerned d bag clown. Stay classy