Kellen Winslow says Browns, Panthers, Raiders are interested in him

New England Patriots v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Free agent tight end Kellen Winslow says his career is definitely not over, and he already knows there are teams interested in him for the 2013 season.

Winslow said on NFL AM that Browns coach Rob Chudzinski, who coached him at the University of Miami, is interested in bringing him back to Cleveland. He also said the Raiders are still interested, and the Panthers have reached out as well.

“I’ve heard from the Raiders, the Panthers, the Browns — with coach Chudzinski up there,” Winslow said. “I think I could fit in anywhere, though. I’m a mismatch. I’m basically a basketball player playing tight end.”

Last year Winslow was traded from the Buccaneers to the Seahawks in May, then was released by Seattle just before the start of the regular season. He later caught on with the Patriots and stayed in New England long enough to play in one game and catch one pass.

“I got cut a day after cuts, so it was real tough, then I signed with the Patriots for a week. It just didn’t work out there, it just wasn’t the right time,” Winslow said.

It’s fair to wonder whether it will ever be the right time for Winslow, as the knee problems that have hampered him ever since a motorcycle accident ended his 2005 season before it started aren’t going to get any better as he approaches 30. But Winslow says he’s staying in shape and confident he’ll keep playing.

“I definitely plan on playing next season. I’ve been working hard. I got into cycling, actually — got my Lance Armstrong on, and it’s really helping me out,” Winslow said.

Whatever else happens, it’s good to know that Winslow is spending his offseasons on a bicycle, rather than a motorcycle.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Kellen Winslow says Browns, Panthers, Raiders are interested in him”
  1. bucrightoff says: Mar 25, 2013 10:01 AM

Not worth more than the lowest you’re legally allowed to pay him. Doesn’t practice ever, bad attitude, injury plagued, and just a knucklehead.

2. godofwine330 says: Mar 25, 2013 10:07 AM

I think it would be interesting to have to back in Cleveland with a new regime and a coach he knows and has known for a while. What it comes down to is the money he is expecting, which is likely an incentive laden contract that he deserves.

3. bdiederich08 says: Mar 25, 2013 10:08 AM

Noooooo. As thin as the Browns are at TE, last thing we need is to bring him back.

The only plus side to his return would be us getting to see the video of him crashing his motorcycle in that community college parking lot a few more times.

4. nananatman says: Mar 25, 2013 10:11 AM

Did you get your Lance Armstrong from the same doctor that Lance Armstrong did?

5. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Mar 25, 2013 10:17 AM

Now there’s a great role model for this guy…Lance Armstrong.

6. The Prophet says: Mar 25, 2013 10:19 AM

I’m sorry did he just say he’s getting “his Lance Armstrong on?” Is that the new code for PED?

7. brownoholic says: Mar 25, 2013 10:21 AM

Just say NO…

8. punksinplay says: Mar 25, 2013 10:27 AM

Why anyone would be interested in this overrated, malcontent is beyond me.

9. coop16 says: Mar 25, 2013 10:28 AM

Wow, a post about the Browns that doesn’t have some numbskull following it up by making fun of the Browns for failing to trade enough to get RG3. Have those guys have called in sick?

10. logicalvoicesisnotlogical says: Mar 25, 2013 10:28 AM

Did he have one of his testicles removed too pft start doing your job I bet schefter already knew that.

11. audient says: Mar 25, 2013 10:38 AM

An incentive based contract, where K2 gets the opportunity to make some money by making plays, why not give him a look?

Now what’s Braylon Edwards doing these days?

“Hi. This is Chud. I’m getting the band back together. We’re on a mission from God.”

12. zombiepatriot says: Mar 25, 2013 10:41 AM

What’s sad is teams keep giving money to a player who from all appearances is selfish and doesn’t really care about playing the game. He has been able to stretch his ‘talent’ into several contracts without actually performing worth a dang.

What is sad is there are players out there who want to play the game, will work hard and who will come into the locker room and not be a distraction but teams continue to throw money at Winslow.

Teams of the NFL: Just Say No To Turds!

13. gallogj says: Mar 25, 2013 10:45 AM

Great…just when I line the pet carrier with his old Browns jersey…news like this comes along.

14. bucsfan5000 says: Mar 25, 2013 11:09 AM

What about the Redskins? That’s where the Bucs cast-offs go.

15. anhdazman says: Mar 25, 2013 11:26 AM

Oakland, please stay away from this broken down head case. He’s not worth the trouble.

16. nubian21 says: Mar 25, 2013 11:30 AM

Dear Reggie McKenzie we don’t need anymore players who’s had more than 5 knee surgeries.

17. dawgswillhunt says: Mar 25, 2013 11:46 AM

“I’m basically a basketball player playing tight end.”

He sure blocks like a basketball player.